Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSM Referendum Spring 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

eviltwin wrote: »
    Rory was on The Last Word on Today FM talking specifically about HIV/AIDS just a few weeks ago actually

yep.
    “As someone who is HIV positive and leads a healthy life, I would encourage everybody to get tested,” he said.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Explain how this is relevant to the marriage equality discussion.
    It's called stirring the pot, previous posts have been scathingly nasty towards gay and lesbian people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

This shouldn't be put to a vote. Anything that doesn't affect another person in a way that would violate that persons rights should be legal. This is another example of the faults of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

This shouldn't be put to a vote. Anything that doesn't affect another person in a way that would violate that persons rights should be legal. This is another example of the faults of democracy.

one good thing about the vote is when it passes, at least we can all say its what the majority of Irish people wanted!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i would think it's not, someones health issues are not really for public consumption, even as a public figure, but it would seem to me, if you are pro same sex marriages then apparently that person's health becomes relative somehow???
    Rory is promoting sexual health at a time when people are becoming a little complacement about STD's, a sort of "it won't happen to me, sure you can get a pill for everything" attitude that needs to be addressed, can't see what the big deal is there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Going to allow my inner 14 year old express the peer pressure on this one for a minute.

Can you imagine if it doesn't pass?

In all seriousness, look around at the first world. Look at all the states in the US where the ban on same sex marriage has been ruled by federal courts as unconstitutional. Look at how the first world has reacted online as basically a "damn right, about time Illinois!". Look at our nearest neighbours with SSM already legal.

Seriously, legislating for SSM in Ireland is overdue. The rest of the first world has basically said "we're done with this homophobic rubbish, people are people and people are equal". Can you imagine the horror and embarrassment of being Irish if it doesn't pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Rory is promoting sexual health at a time when people are becoming a little complacement about STD's, a sort of "it won't happen to me, sure you can get a pill for everything" attitude that needs to be addressed, can't see what the big deal is there.

There's no issue with him speaking out.

People are just wondering why some posters are constantly trying to insert his medical details into an unrelated debate on same sex marriage.

Attack the drag queen, not the argument it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

that is a good thing, but i don't see how rory's health is relative to the debate any more than mine is, or yours is?

the debate is should we vote yes to allow same sex marriage, the answer is yes,

while i am for raising awareness this debate isn't really the place for it.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    that is a good thing, but i don't see how rory's health is relative to the debate any more than mine is, or yours is?
    the debate is should we vote yes to allow same sex marriage, the answer is yes,
    while i am for raising awareness this debate isn't really the place for it.
    Oh totally, I agree it is an irrelevant detail, I should have made that clearer. The same group of people trying to bring it up as a cheap shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Daith wrote: »
    Oh so not everyone can put across their view then is it?

One can put across a view without casting aspersions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Going to allow my inner 14 year old express the peer pressure on this one for a minute.

In all seriousness, look around at the first world. Look at all the states in the US where the ban on same sex marriage has been ruled by federal courts as unconstitutional. Look at how the first world has reacted online as basically a "damn right, about time Illinois!". Look at our nearest neighbours with SSM already legal.

Seriously, legislating for SSM in Ireland is overdue. The rest of the first world has basically said "we're done with this homophobic rubbish, people are people and people are equal". Can you imagine the horror and embarrassment of being Irish if it doesn't pass?

I was thinking about this in the context of the US a while ago - I wonder if, after a certain tippig point, there will scramble among states to avoid being the very last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I was thinking about this in the context of the US a while ago - I wonder if, after a certain tippig point, there will scramble among states to avoid being the very last.

Unfortunately some states there seeming to take a certain pride in being backward - so I imagine it will be a case of wanting to be the last hold out.

Mississippi isn't in any rush from the sounds of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Can you imagine the horror and embarrassment of being Irish if it doesn't pass?

That this state is backward in a lot of ways isn't news. We're going in the right direction, and at worst it'll be a temporary setback.

I voted in the referendum to allow divorce in 1986, and it lost, 63.5% to 35%. 10 years later, it passed 50.3 to 49.7

I'd still prefer no vote at all, get the existing rules declared inconsistent with the constitution by the Supreme court, but I suppose it's a long shot that the court would rule that a same sex couple and the children of one or both partners are a family in the meaning of the current wording.

Lol. When you put it like that...

TO the people who would oppose SSM in Ireland...

You're in the same boat as Mississippi and their lovely human rights record ;)

There will be no embarrassment if it is not passed.

People would have to be feeling very self conscience if they cared what others thought, Croatia voted against it, no big deal.

RobertKK wrote: »

People would have to be feeling very self conscience if they cared what others thought, Croatia voted against it, no big deal.

If it's not passed I won't be embarrased about myself, because I'm voting for it. I will be absolutely mortified by all the people who vote against it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You might not mind people thinking you are the Irish version of what we see rednecks in the southern states but I would be embarrassed if people thought I was some backward baby selling, gay hating leprachan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Daith

People would have to be feeling very self conscience if they cared what others thought

I think it's more the case that Irish people would be wondering why people voted against equality.

Lets face nobody on this thread including yourself can give a reason to vote No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It'll be brought to Europe if it doesn't. There's just no way it can be allowed not to pass. This is the interracial marriage debate of the 21st century and like that, there's absolutely fúck all logical reason to oppose it.

The ilk of the no side are doing a predictably awful job of justifying their irrational prejudice.

• Advertisement

There will though, on a number of levels. We pride ourselves as a very forward-thinking nation in this day and age, wouldn't look good if we decided to go against the grain and towards our shady past. It's hardly a lot being asked here.

What do we have to lose, Robert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

If the rest of the world jumped off a cliff, would you do it? :D

Seriously, it does seem to be the way the international wind is blowing, let it not be said that Ireland doesn't also blow!

If it's not passed I won't be embarrased about myself, because I'm voting for it. I will be absolutely mortified by all the people who vote against it, though.

That they used their democratic right by voting?

I voting against, no need to feel mortified, I don't have to vote yes because some feel outsiders will be judging the country.
    There are lots who are outside the country who will be mortified by a yes vote too, but one shouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

oh but there will. by the time of the referendum the UK will have had SSM for a year, the world won't have ended and if we can't look at our nearest neighbours and take reassurance from that we will look like complete fools.

I voting against, no need to feel mortified, I don't have to vote yes because some feel outsiders will be judging the country.
    There are lots who are outside the country who will be mortified by a yes vote too, but one shouldn't care.

I think it would be wise to see what the proposed amendment will be first, before deciding yes or no.

I think it would be wise to see what the proposed amendment will be first, before deciding yes or no.

Amendment? No no. The referendum will be the first time the people of Ireland define what marriage is.

Daith wrote: »
    Amendment? No no. The referendum will be the first time the people of Ireland define what marriage is.

Amendment to the Constitution darling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Yes yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

No, mortified that so many people are homophobic bigots who haven't moved with the times and actively took away the opportunity for equality.

Wonder how that'd look to FDIs. "Come invest in Ireland, we'll be prejudiced against all your LGBT staff! Lovely place though!"

• Advertisement

I voting against, no need to feel mortified

You're voting against it? Shocked so I am!

Advertisement