Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSM Referendum Spring 2015

Options
  • 01-07-2014 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭

Announced today: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0701/627828-same-sex-marriage-referendum/

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
    In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;

In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
    In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

Sometimes it looks like it's in the bag, other times I wonder if I'm just surrounded by family and friends and internet-faeries who are all supportive of same sex marriage, so I only think this referendum will be won.

I don't want to start a thread to discuss the issue itself - just wondering if boardsies could share information on the opinions that they hear around them. Are people you know for or against it? Any surprising thoughts from people you know?

MOD NOTE: Make sure you're registered to vote. Check at www.checktheregister.ie

Will you be voting in support of Same Sex Marriage? 500 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Undecided
    93% 469 votes
    No (because of my Religious beliefs)
    4% 22 votes
    No (because of other reasons)
    1% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Anyone I have heard talk about it is in favour of it, but then again what is
    there to be against?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I think a lot of people are largely indifferent. I'd imagine the turnout will be quite low. Those that it will directly affect will vote, as will the militant Christians.

I hope it's passed, it will be a huge step forward for equal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Anecdotally I'm hearing mixed opinions.

It will be a close call, but if I had to call it this far out, I'd say the SSM referendum will be narrowly defeated (sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Why set the date so far away? Will definitely be defeated anyway imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Anecdotally I'm hearing mixed opinions.

It will be a close call, but if I had to call it this far out, I'd say the SSM referendum will be narrowly defeated.

Janey! Is the opinion against SSM coming from a particular quarter, or people from all walks of life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

In an ideal world it's something that should be automatically made legal, instead of a referendum like what happened with mix race marriage in America, where there was feck all reason to oppose that too -unless you were a high-class gobshíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'd presume it's a given that it'll be passed, going on conversations I've had. I can't think of one person I know who's outwardly against same sex marriage.

Then again, I'm sure there are many who are all for it in public, but it could be a whole different story in the privacy of a polling booth...

Muise... wrote: »
    Janey! Is the opinion against SSM coming from a particular quarter, or people from all walks of life?

Personally the older people I know are fairly OK with it.
    The more religious & men (I find) are more against it

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    In an ideal world it's something that should be automatically made legal, instead of a referendum like what happened with mix race marriage in America, where there was feck all reason to oppose thart too -unless you were a high-class gobshíte.

True, but

1. The Constitution
    2. In the absence of 1., the Government (any Irish Govt.) wouldn't have the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Keep on deluding yourself. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

True, but

1. The Constitution
    2. In the absence of 1., the Government (any Irish Govt.) wouldn't have the balls.
    Well it's not really a matter of the government having balls. They legally can't. Balls or not.

True, but

1. The Constitution

I think the constitution doesn't specify gender?
    (I'm probably wrong of course).

Keep on deluding yourself. :rolleyes:
    I'm voting in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Everyone I know has been pretty strongly for it. I presume this will fairly sail in - or at least I hope so in order to give the fundementalist loonies a public reminder as to the current discourse in Ireland.

I'm voting in favour.

As will I & I also think it will be defeated.

Especially if the government campaign strongly for it.
    When it comes to referendums there are those so anti-government, they will vote 'No' no matter the question.... Im looking at you Donegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I actually think there might be a chance it could not pass just from low turnout. The sane among us who support it generally fail to see it as a big deal, the retarded bigots who oppose it generally feel quite strongly. So those against will make a deliberate effort to vote, those supporting could just assume it's going to pass and not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's a massive catholic element in Irish society even now. A lot of them will get out to vote against it. Even though I believe they're outnumbered by people in favour of SSM, it might be a struggle to motivate a lot of straight people who, while generally supportive, aren't affected by it and might not be bothered to get to the polling booth.

I hope I'm wrong about this. Surely at this stage everyone knows at least one openly gay person whose rights they'd want to fight for.

True, but

1. The Constitution

I completely get that, I just said in an ideal world.

Human rights shouldn't be up for debate. Especially with some of the idiots who show up to fight it for the sake of it, they're far more vocal and likely to get off their arse to vote against it, while the majority who wouldn't be bothered about it would be less likely too.

Well it's not really a matter of the government having balls. They legally can't. Balls or not.

That's why I said "in the absence of the Constitution" :)
    I think the constitution doesn't specify gender?
    (I'm probably wrong of course).

No, but it states that marriage is the foundation of the family so there are far too many possible tangles and arguments that could be made in appeals. We really need to ditch at least half of that little book of Ireland in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm voting in favour.

Ah, I didn't see that from your post. I thought it was self-delusion of the Iona flavour.

I think this might be a bit closer than what the opinion polls suggest, going on the discrepancy between opinion polls and the final result in the Childrens' Rights Referendum. Just as the anti- side in that referendum were dedicated in their opposition, I'd expect the same level of dedication from the anti-SSM side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

It's about time.
    I'm not directly affected by it.
    Despite that, I feel very strongly about the need for a yes vote and I'll be sure to ensure every one in my family gets off their asses and votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

God knows, myself and herself might actually be able to tie the knot, how wonderful? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There appears to be no prohibition in law preventing same sex marriage. It is not mentioned in this list of prohibitions. So there is no need for a referendum. The people on this list could make a case that they should be allowed to marry as well as could people who are prohibited by reason of their age.

Consanguinity – blood relationships

A man may not marry his:
    •Grandmother
    •Mother
    •Father’s sister (aunt)
    •Mother’s sister (aunt)
    •Sister
    •Father’s Daughter (half sister)
    •Mother’s Daughter (half sister)
    •Daughter
    •Son’s Daughter (granddaughter)
    •Daughter’s Daughter (granddaughter)
    •Brother’s Daughter (niece)
    •Sister’s Daughter (niece)

A woman may not marry her:
    •Grandfather
    •Father.
    •Father’s Brother (uncle)
    •Mother’s Brother (uncle)
    •Brother
    •Father’s Son (half brother)
    •Mother’s Son (half brother)
    •Son
    •Son’s Son (grandson)
    •Daughter’s Son (grandson)
    •Brother’s Son (nephew)
    •Sister’s Son (nephew)

Affinity – relationship by marriage

A man may not marry his:
    •Grandfather’s Wife (step-grandmother)
    •Father’s Wife (stepmother)
    •Father’s Brother’s Wife
    •Mother’s Brother’s Wife
    •Son’s Wife
    •Son’s Son’s Wife
    •Daughter’s Son’s Wife
    •Brother’s Son’s Wife
    •Sister’s Son’s Wife
    •Wife’s grandmother (grandmother-in-law)
    •Wife’s Mother (mother-in-law)
    •Wife’s Father’s Sister
    •Wife’s Mother’s Sister
    •Wife’s Daughter (stepdaughter)
    •Wife’s Son’s Daughter
    •Wife’s Daughter’s Daughter
    •Wife’s Brother’s Daughter
    •Wife’s Sister’s Daughter

A woman may not marry her:
    •Grandmother’s Husband (step-grandfather)
    •Mother’s Husband (stepfather)
    •Father’s Sister’s Husband
    •Mother’s Sister’s Husband
    •Daughter’s Husband
    •Son’s Daughter’s Husband
    •Daughter’s Daughter’s Husband
    •Brother’s Daughter’s Husband
    •Sister’s Daughter’s Husband
    •Husband’s Grandfather (grandfather-in-law)
    •Husband’s Father (father-in-law)
    •Husband’s Father’s Brother
    •Husband’s Mother’s Brother
    •Husband’s Son (stepson)
    •Husband’s Son’s Son
    •Husband’s Daughter’s Son
    •Husband’s Brother’s Son
    •Husband’s Sister’s Son

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's about time.
    I'm not directly affected by it.
    Despite that, I feel very strongly about the need for a yes vote and I'll be sure to ensure every one in my family gets off their asses and votes.

I'm exactly the same and, fortunately, I know a lot of people who feel the same too which is what gives me some confidence.

I've said it before in other threads on this topic, but in 40 years the fact that this was ever an issue will be as unbelievable to the new generation as the notion that racial segregation was happening as recently as the 60s is to mine.

That was an awkward sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest I also have my concerns that it mightn't pass. The conservative side will be very organised at getting their vote out. The key will be in getting as high a turnout as possible and possibly keeping the parties as far away from the campaign as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So that the adoption legislation is in place first

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

P_1 wrote: »
    To be honest I also have my concerns that it mightn't pass. The conservative side will be very organised at getting their vote out. The key will be in getting as high a turnout as possible and possibly keeping the parties as far away from the campaign as possible.

So if political parties don't campaign what campaign will there be?

Yeah, but think of the campaign parties and how sparkly and joyful and fabulous they will be! :P

Plus they love to fight dirty, outrightly lie and paint themselves as the victims. That all seems to play in their favour in this country and they actually get a podium to spout their crap.

Tbh I've never seen any organisation who opposed same sex marriage that wasn't full of scum bags and nutcases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Links234 wrote: »
    God knows, myself and herself might actually be able to tie the knot, how wonderful? :D

They'll have to sort out the Gender recognition act first.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement