Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSM Referendum Spring 2015

Options
1636465666769»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

floggg wrote: »
    By redefining marriage, being between one man and one woman both over the age of 18, to being between one man and one woman both over the age of 40, you are redefining marriage.

I can play this came all day too you know

You are, but it's a less fundamental redefinition (imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Age is transient, gender is not.

Change the age of marriage to be adults over 50 and it doesn't matter if the people who want to get married are a man and woman. Age wins over gender.

So no. Marriage will not be redefined even with your little attack on the T in LGBT.

So changing the age of who can get married is redefining marriage?
    It isn't just about gender, no.

If you change the legal age you are not redefining it (certainly not by much) as it is still a contract between one male and one female.

Make up your mind...

So, if the referendum in Spring 2015, is defeated (hopefully it won't be), what will be the definition of civil marriage in Ireland post-referendum? How would one define the reality of it then?

So, if the referendum in Spring 2015, is defeated (hopefully it won't be), what will be the definition of civil marriage in Ireland post-referendum? How would one define the reality of it then?

Whatever the people of Ireland for the first time have decided what the definition of marriage in Ireland is.

Of course we can't really tell until we see the proposed amendments.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    Whatever the people of Ireland for the first time have decided what the definition of marriage in Ireland is.

Of course we can't really tell until we see the proposed amendments.

But if the referendum fails to pass??

Will civil marriage in Ireland be undefinable?

If a person from Japan (say) asks - "What is civil marriage in Ireland?" How would one answer them?

Would one say, "It is..............empty silence......................."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If a person from Japan (say) asks - "What is civil marriage in Ireland?" How would one answer them?

Well I guess it would depend if anything is put into the constitution to that effect. For all we know a no vote could simply leave things as they are (ie up to interpretation). To be fair it's really a question that we can't answer until we know what the question posed on the ballot paper is.

Can't say until we see the proposed amendments can we? Like the way you don't know what way you'll be voting.

Though chances are we won't be voting for what marriage is but who can avail of marriage.

P_1 wrote: »
    Well I guess it would depend if anything is put into the constitution to that effect. For all we know a no vote could simply leave things as they are (ie up to interpretation). To be fair it's really a question that we can't answer until we know what the question posed on the ballot paper is.

That means ignoring the actual reality that currently, and following a negative referendum result, civil marriage may only be between one man and one woman. In order to change that, we must change the definition of it.

That means ignoring the actual reality that currently, and following a negative referendum result, civil marriage may only be between one man and one woman. In order to change that, we must change the definition of it.

No....missing the point. Marriage is between a man and woman over the age of consent and who are not related and are not currently married (among other criteria).

We will be changing who is eligible to get married not what marriage is.

• Advertisement

Can't say until we see the proposed amendments can we? Like the way you don't know what way you'll be voting.

Though chances are we won't be voting for what marriage is but who can avail of marriage.

So wait and see what the proposed redefinition is? Fair point.

So wait and see what the proposed redefinition is? Fair point.

You mean the proposed change to the criteria of who can get married? Yes!

You mean the proposed change to the criteria of who can get married? Yes!

We're like an old married couple Daith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was just going to suggest that :p

Lads you're really splitting hairs at this stage. You could argue till the cows come home if expanding the availability of something is redefining it.

For example, UPC broadband now becomes available in, let's say, Drogheda. Has UPC broadband been redefined as a result of that? Probably not, bit has the availability of UPC broadband in Drogheda been redefined? Arguably yes.

P_1 wrote: »
    For example, UPC broadband now becomes available in, let's say, Drogheda. Has UPC broadband been redefined as a result of that? Probably not, bit has the availability of UPC broadband in Drogheda been redefined? Arguably yes.

Yes but it's still the same UPC Broadband :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

You know what they say about opinions though.

I didn't get the impression you cared whether changes to definitions were fundamental or not - after all most people don't see the "redefinition" resulting from permitting people of the same sex to marry as in any way fundamental.

After all, it wouldn't result in any change to the basic nature of the marital relationship. It would be the exact same, except just open to more couples now.

And yet that's still a redefinition to you - so too therefore must be a change to the age limit.

After all there is actually a big difference in the nature of most relationships between 12 year olds and 20 year olds, and allowing 12 year olds to marry would have a much bigger impact than me marrying another grown man.

So if you are going to pedantic about "redefintions", be pedantic about -"" "redefintions". Sure, people don't like pedants, but it's never about being liked for pedants, is it?

Change the age of marriage to be adults over 50 and it doesn't matter if the people who want to get married are a man and woman. Age wins over gender.

So no. Marriage will not be redefined even with your little attack on the T in LGBT.

Technically I think trans people have a fixed gender but their body parts don't match it.

So if you are going to be pedantic about "redefintions", be pedantic about -"" "redefintions". Sure, people don't like pedants, but it's never about being liked for pedants, is it?

hehe:D

hehe:D

You missed the extra -"" in there.

What did I tell you about being consistent about this things?

You missed the extra -"" in there.

What did I tell you about being consistent about this things?

I actually didn't. I put those "cross out lines" through them. But they appear like this "".

:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Define "married couple"

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

For the people who say they believe marriage is only between a Man and a women can I ask you a question. Were you against interracial marriage? Using the logic some are using you see marriage between a man and a woman but before interracial marriage was allowed people saw marriage between people of the same skin color.

I think that your religious beliefs or any for that matter should not be a factor when your deciding Civil rights of an entire group people who Deserve equal rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Age is transient, gender is not.
    You are forgetting about 15 year-olds that want to marry. The current law prevents them from doing so and everyone who isn't 15 years old gets a say in oppressing 15 year olds.

Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm in favour of SSM and brought up sibling mariage as an example of alternative minority views not catered for in law (despite it being a valid alternative relationship between consenting adults).

I am intrigued though by the way posters are dismissive and, from my point of view, repulsed by sibling marriage. They think it odd and unnatural and presumably "wrong" despite it involving consenting adults.
    No it's not. Relationship between consenting adults shouldn't be considered taboo, or linked, as you just have, with the awfulness of paedophillia and child abuse.
    Sibling or cousin marriage is not "far more complex". You're just making generalised, vague negative accusations that you can't back up. Same as homophobes do for gay relationships.

Coercion, abuse, manipulation, grooming and abuse of power are all things that can occur in homosexual or hetrosexual relationships aswell.

Seems like everyone wants to exclude someone in this world.
    Coercion and grooming are very real risks in this type of relationship. On the phone now so can't find the details, it there was a European case where a German either and sister took Germany to court for their right to marry. The German government's concerns were considered valid and the continued discrimination against incestuous marriage was held to be justified.

The best way, IMHO, to differentiate between ssm and other types of non 'traditional' marrriage is to consider a mind of 'harm principle.' Where there is no harm, then continued discrimination is difficult to justify. Where there is a harm, or serious risk of harm then the discrimination is more likely to be justifiable. There is no 'harm', in a rational sense, with ssm.

And another thing worth considering, if you tell a brother that he can't marry his sister that is prohibiting him from marrying one person on the entire planet. If you tell a person they can't marry someone of the same sex you are telling them they can't marry anyone they might ever want to. Although it is a small point, the scale of the discrimination is also worthy of consideration.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just make sure you do actually vote.
    The hard right will be very organised in getting their no voters out. So, please do not just sit on the couch and assume it's going to pass regardless.

Check on www.checktheregister.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just make sure you do actually vote.
    The hard right will be very organised in getting their no voters out. So, please do not just sit on the couch and assume it's going to pass regardless.

Check on www.checktheregister.ie

Can we get a mod to add this to the OP, it might end up buried here at page 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've put that in the OP, but we'll be posting it more as the vote approaches.

Advertisement