Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

None of those under rated!
    Just older titles!
    They all sold loads!
    I have them all and they're great.

Riddick even got a remaster on the PS3 and 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If anything Perfect Dark is severely over rated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If anything Perfect Dark is severely over rated.

OK, I'll give you that.
    It had a near unplayable frame rate at the time, even with the ram pack.
    More importantly, whatever about when Goldeneye was released and it's PC peers, when Perfect Dark came out it was 2000 and the PC market was flooded with better games, on hardware that wasn't nearly 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I don't know if it qualifies as underrated because the critics (and most people who played it) loved it but NiGHTS into dreams but it sank like a lead balloon on release. even with HD rereleases on Stram and the PSN i don't think it's picked up any traction.

other mention is Vanquish, a great 3rd person sci-fi shooter that's really unlike anything else.

i'll probably think of a few more tomorrow

Nights is brilliant, still holds up today.
    I have it on the Saturn with the analogue controller, and I got it last year for the PS2, a jap copy, it was used as the basis for the later HD version.
    It's great as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nights sold really well on release on the Saturn, hardly under rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Randomly popped into my head: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy on Playstation 2. Iirc, a decent platformer with varied gameplay, clever puzzles, and a completion-inviting monster hunting aspect. I remember 100%ing it and enjoying it but not a lot else. Like what the story was lol

While it is well known and well liked, not a lot of people talk about MediEvil anymore. I'd love to see it getting the Oddworld treatment with a modern reimagining

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I must say with Beyond Good and Evil.. the camera is absolutely terrible at times. Can be really frustrating.

Good thing the game itself is a lot of fun.

Had to restart a save from the beginning of the slaughterhouse yesterday as I lost double H and went looking for him in one area.. so backtracked and went into an area where I needed him to hit a button. :p

I love MediEvil! one of the first games I ever played on the PS1. I must eventually go back and finish it. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it had a PS1 sequel, a PSP remake and some sort of spin-off?

I remember from the late 90's there was a great little RTS called Wargames. it was loosely based on the film from the 80's. I played the first level of it on a PC World demo disc and looked through software magazines for any bit of into on it (no internet at the time). i think it just got swept up with all the other RTS's at the time and ignored :(

I'm not sure but i think there may have been a PS1 version but remade as a 3rd person tank shooter.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nights sold really well on release on the Saturn, hardly under rated.

Appologies. I may have been confusing it with another title that came out at the end of the Saturn's life.

Actually this thread has reminded me about a game that I assume is underrated but I never got to play (just since they were the days I'd get about 2 games a year)

Freedom Fighters. I remember checking out previews for it and thinking it sounded and looked awesome.

I'm thinking I may pick up God Hand on PS3 and had a quick look to see if Freedom Fighters was there... no luck though. :(

• Advertisement

I love MediEvil! one of the first games I ever played on the PS1. I must eventually go back and finish it. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it had a PS1 sequel, a PSP remake and some sort of spin-off?

It had a sequel on the PSone, MediEvil 2, set in Victorian London. There was a port of the first game on PSP called Ressurection but it's my understanding that it wasn't a well received port. There was no spin-off - besides appearing as a playable character in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale, Sir Daniel has been laid to rest altogether.

i did a quick look and the game i was thinking of was Medieval Moves, a PS3/move game that...we'll say...takes a lot of inspiration from Medievil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

tok9 wrote: »
    Freedom Fighters. I remember checking out previews for it and thinking it sounded and looked awesome

Played it on Gamecube, loved it.

Another one for me was ID softwares RAGE, great game, bit on the short side, missing DLC etc, had they just used that engine and pushed Doom 4 I don't think it would have panned as badly as people predicted.

Wingsticking some guy in the head from 5 foot away as he ran at you was great fun :pac:

Oh an Viewtiful Joe too, that was fun but no one I knew besides me had ever heard of it or played it, though it was critically praised

Speaking of games that I have and noone ever talks about. Is there anyone out there who has played or even heard of a Playstation game called Attack of the Saucerman. Kind of a precursor to Destroy All Humans, it's a third person shooter in which you play as an alien escaping from Roswell and finding enough ship parts to escape Earth. A lot of innuendoish humour on the tropes of alien b-movies, a la Mars Attacks, and a pretty decent, if difficult, shooter platformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

tok9 wrote: »
    Actually this thread has reminded me about a game that I assume is underrated but I never got to play (just since they were the days I'd get about 2 games a year)

Freedom Fighters. I remember checking out previews for it and thinking it sounded and looked awesome.

I'm thinking I may pick up God Hand on PS3 and had a quick look to see if Freedom Fighters was there... no luck though. :(

Freedom fighters was one of my favourite games on the old xbox.
    Full spectrum Warrior is another great game that was underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Freedom fighters was one of my favourite games on the old xbox.
    You can get Full Spectrum Warrior on Steam but it's really buggy and needs a few work arounds to get to work properly. Was never able to get the sound working properly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Freedom fighters was a top class game. Pity we never got a follow up

Kane and Lynch was a spiritual follow up. Pity it was utter tripe.

Haven on the PS2 is certainly an under rated game.
    Sold poorly and was available for the price of a bag of smokey bacon crisps while on shelves.
    But playing it then it was great, a third person adventure in the mold of Jak & Daxter with quite distinct areas using fractal maths to create quite striking visuals.
    It tanked and never got a sequel but it's well worth finding.
    Obscure simply by virtue of age and not fitting with the "cool" themes of the early PS output, Jumping Flash is utterly nuts, it looks very retro indeed but is one of the best or at least amongst the few games played in the first person that gets platform jumping right, as opposed to the badly aged Turok titles on the N64.
    I have both Pal Jumping Flash titles and the Japan only second sequel and they're all great, still fun to play now.

ríomhaire wrote: »
    You can get Full Spectrum Warrior on Steam but it's really buggy and needs a few work arounds to get to work properly. Was never able to get the sound working properly on it.

Back when Stargate was on sky, there were ads before and after the show and breaks for Full Spectrum Warrior if anyone remembers.

For some reason a while back there was a steam bug that informed me (and many others) that I had purchased FPW when i hadn't. I had no intirest in it until I saw some gameplay footage earlier in the year and realized it wasn't another by the numbers FPS. Saw the xbox version in CEX not too long ago and wanted to kick myself when i went in to find it was sold already. I always mean to get it at some stage. I'm almost positive it had a sequel or expansion pack.

• Advertisement

It sold enough to get the sequel Ten Hammers.
    Did good numbers but I think the Medal of Honor and COD series simply took over that market, even though FSW was something quite different.
    I have them on the Xbox but I haven't played them at all :(

Powerdrome on the Xbox and PS2 is an interesting one, it looks like a Wipeout one but is actually the successor to a game on the Amiga that themselves inspired Wipeout.
    It was delayed for ever but I picked it up, it's pretty nice but quite hard, and low on spectacle compared to the likes of Wipeout 2097 and 3 that it was competing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had no intirest in it until I saw some gameplay footage earlier in the year and realized it wasn't another by the numbers FPS.

It's a pretty good game but it's not an FPS.

It's a pretty good game but it's not an FPS.

that's what i meant :)

Eternal Darkness is another one on the Gamecube was less than lauded on release but it probably has more good ideas than bad and certainly more good ideas than most recent mainstream horror titles on the big platforms of late.
    Well worth a look and if you have a Wii you'll be able to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Wakeboarding Unleashed, got lost in the mix with Tony Hawk's & SSX doing so well, but is easily the equal of either of those, possibly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Having only played it a couple years ago + with the release of the new game. Diving divinity is surprisingly underrated. I always avoided it for years coz of the silly sounding name + assuming it wasnt as good as baldurs gate or diablo, but its unique from those.

Finished Beyond Good and Evil there. For some reason I assumed it'd take me a long time to finish but it's actually a relatively short game.

Only thing I disliked was the very end.. considering the game is 10 years old and nothing has come out since.

Now.. might just pick up God Hand. It'd be nice if SCEE had more PS2/PSP sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone else play Otogi and it's sequel on the xbox? Mad feckin games, like a cross between Ninja Gaiden, DMC and Bayonetta. Must dig out the old console and play them again although I recall they were difficult enough and not very clear on what to do!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually one that was underrated somewhat at the time was "Soldier of Fortune" on the PC, me and my brother got countless hours out of that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Actually one that was underrated somewhat at the time was "Soldier of Fortune" on the PC, me and my brother got countless hours out of that game.

Great fun out of that, and it's sequel. Particular the localised damage, nut shots, taking off legs, etc. Great craic.

Advertisement