Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    i have to admit I found the Suffering and Manhunt to be two of the worst games I've ever played. Shock value for shock values sake and then once you get over that the boredom sets in.

What I should elaborate on is that it's not often that I get the sense of shock or sense of wrong doing from playing a video game.

Take GTA, it depicts similar types of violance but beating someone with a bat is laughable.

If however I carry out the same act in Manhunt it feels very disturbing.

When I rethink about the actual gameplay mechanics yes they are repetitive so I get where your coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Its class, each boss in it is based on a method of death penalty (gas, lethal injection etc.), you should try find it, i think you can download it for pc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What I should elaborate on is that it's not often that I get the sense of shock or sense of wrong doing from playing a video game.

Take GTA, it depicts similar types of violance but beating someone with a bat is laughable.

When I rethink about the actual gameplay mechanics yes they are repetitive so I get where your coming from.

Yeah I remember the gameplay being a little repetitive alright, but I did think there was an element of tension to the game which kept it interesting for me at least.

The feeling of being alone, under armed and surrounded by the crazies kept you on your toes I found!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Shenmue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

buster busts loose was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Spent hours playing that when I was younger I have to say. That train part was a pain to pass but euphoric when I did.

Corholio wrote: »
    Spent hours playing that when I was younger I have to say. That train part was a pain to pass but euphoric when I did.
    yup excellent game... jesus i miss the golden gaming era

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it was a game about sneaking up behind someone and holding a button, the longer you held it for the gorier the death. Once you'd seen all 3 deaths with each weapon it got old fast especially when said deaths weren't that interesting, the graphics were god awful and really gory videogames was old to me during the 90's. If the stealth mechanics were actually interesting it might have been a good game but it was a very poor stealth game. If this hadn't of been by Rockstar I feel it would have been well forgotten about by now.

So far in God Hand
    I'm at the section where your on a boat and your firing cannon balls at Pirate ships (Random mini game :pac::pac:)

^^^
    I think Shinji Mikami was off his head when he came up with some of the ideas for the game :p

Read an article about 2 games last night;
    One is called Shadow of Rome the other is called Urban Chaos: Riot Response (Made by Rocksteady?????).

Apparently both are mega-underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadow of Rome is awesome gladiator combat and terrible stealth. Well worth playing.

Riot Response is by Rocksteady. It's one of the dumbest FPS games ever but it's serious amounts of fun. Blocking rockets with a riot shield never gets old.

yup excellent game... jesus i miss the golden gaming era

Never too late to get back into it Basher! :pac:

Benzino wrote: »
    Shenmue!

Was it really underrated though? I thought everybody loved it. (Never experienced it myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Shadow of Rome is awesome gladiator combat and terrible stealth. Well worth playing.

Riot Response is by Rocksteady. It's one of the dumbest FPS games ever but it's serious amounts of fun. Blocking rockets with a riot shield never gets old.

I loved the gladiator sections in Shadow of Rome, nothing quite like beating someone with their own arms!

Its almost like they put the stealth half of the game in to piss you off.

Sold! My next buy so.

Good price on EBay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shadow-Of-Rome-for-Sony-PlayStation-2-/131213589871?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item1e8cf07d6f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time.

Felt like a Star Trek real-time Final Fantasy Prime Directive breaking adventure. Played for close to a hundred hours, has allusions to atheism, religion and an amazing few view of where humans are in the galaxy 800 years from now
    (though you do spend an inordinate amount of time getting swept up in war between two sides on a medevil planet)
    You actually gein to wonder how does factor into the bigger conflict, and feel like you're starnded permanently for 40 hours straight with some crewmates and new buddies and you can't reveal your secret. Very fun and addictive, fantastic soundtrack, I'd advice you go through it without a guide or knowledge as it is one of the few times playing a story where I did not know what was going to occur next and you're not sure if it's going off on tangents or this it (the story). Very special in that regard.

That plot twist though turned it one of the most eerie thought provoking things I've ever played played besides the Metal Gear series. It might also be incredibly relevant and true in real life, incredibly unsettling.

Anybody who has played it knows what I'm talking about. Stunned.

I some people literally hated the guts of the series because of it. But jesuuuss!
    It is one thing and becomes many different thing afterwards. A very melancholy experience.

It's the last JRPG that really got under my skin, and it's been 10 years since I played it. I was 15. A very cool cast, that while anime-ish looking are not remotely childish or wacky

It has a great sense of time or something, a sort of cerebal, meditative game, It's hard to explain. It's colossal in it's scope.

Has one of my favourite openings to anything to ever:

Creeped the hell out of me, still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Carrier Command and G-Police. Ah good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Was it really underrated though? I thought everybody loved it. (Never experienced it myself).

Nah, my comment was more in jest :) I'm still mourning it's loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Kind of like a steampunk fallout. Most of the bugs have been fixed by the community at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Carrier Command and G-Police. Ah good times.

My face when Sony bought Psygnosis and continues to make more f*****g Wipeout games and no more G-Police :mad:

Dark Cloud 1 + Chronicle, such great games, so much gameplay. And Chronicle still looks gorgeous today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

battlefield 4 is such an underrated game

Dunno about that, but Battlefield 2 Modern Combat definitely was (on the PS2 at least.)

It was my favourite multiplayer game, a hundred times more fun than the Socom series and more immersive than timesplitters

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    My face when Sony bought Psygnosis and continues to make more f*****g Wipeout games and no more G-Police :mad:
    Wipeout 2142 was awesome, but so was G-police

I also loved colony wars. James Earl Jones (not really) doing the voiceovers was excellent. The whole game just felt so epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Akrasia wrote: »
    Wipeout 2142 was awesome, but so was G-police

I also loved colony wars. James Earl Jones (not really) doing the voiceovers was excellent. The whole game just felt so epic!

A mordern colony wars would be epic

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Battlefield 2142... Seems like a flash in a pan in terms of longevity of BF series games, but it really was epic now that I think about it, motherships, mechs, spaceships, launchers... so good! Hoping Battlefront is something similar.

Jesus yeah, G-Police, how good was that. Real syndicate wars feel off it.

What was the other game, that came out around the same time, where you were a hover craft but could transform into this cool mech thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CptMackey wrote: »
    A mordern colony wars would be epic

Basically star citizen, no? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not underrated though, I bought that new at release and it was a huge title.

Coldwinter on the PS2, an fps in the mode of Goldeneye but, IMHO, a better single player campaign. Cheap as chips now too, if you can find it.
    I think I saw it in CEX

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

.ak wrote: »
    Jesus yeah, G-Police, how good was that. Real syndicate wars feel off it.

Seriously, if someone would remake it with all the modern bells and whistles...

shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

The gameplay was great for its time, but there was something about the setting and feel of it that just took it to another level.

Never too late to get back into it Basher! :pac:
    too much to play now :(

first world problems......

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not underrated though, I bought that new at release and it was a huge title.

Coldwinter on the PS2, an fps in the mode of Goldeneye but, IMHO, a better single player campaign. Cheap as chips now too, if you can find it.
    I think I saw it in CEX

Oooo getting good reviews on retro reviews CGRundertow on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oooo getting good reviews on retro reviews CGRundertow on youtube

Yeah,
    It's my one real discovery back in the day.
    No one else bought it it seems.
    I picked it up and played it straight through, fantastic stuff.
    It's got some great voice work too by Tom Baker and Nathaniel Parker.
    The single player campaign could be considered "drab" as the review suggests but I'd rather consider it realistic and gritty, and the campaign is not BF3 over in 2 hours job, this one goes on quite a bit.
    All in all, well worth picking up and playing, and they've one in CEX in Santry for the grand sum of €2!
    You'd be mad not to pick it up!

Another cracking title to pick up for the PS2 or Xbox is Secret Weapons over Normandy, made by the team behind XWing and Tie Fighter it's a great little arcade sim and a pretty decent looking title for it's age.
    Also cheap as chips, again in CEX Santry for €2.

Advertisement