Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride update re IQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

jh79 wrote: »
    "Data suggest that the introduction of water fluoridation resulted in a 35% reduction in decayed, missing or filled baby teeth and a 26% reduction in decayed, missing or filled permanent teeth. It also increased the percentage of children with no decay by 15%."

Would you now agree that fluoridation is effective under certain circumstances?  

Do you accept that it shows the effectiveness of fluoridation under certain conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

The safety of fluoridation was reviewed only recently I posted a link to the full report.

The effect off fluoride was shown here via many reports as well .. now they are mostly considered inaccurate and biased

Will this report be highlighted by FAN and GAF ?
    If they highlight it they will have to accept that fluoridation is effective under the right conditions.

I just checked that website and they mention fluoridation has an effect

http://fluoridealert.org/studies/caries04/

Do you accept that it shows the effectiveness of fluoridation under certain conditions?

Yes certain limited conditions

As you said it yourself
    Ingesting fluoride is of no benefit

Conclusion posted by SCHER contradicts some of the findings in the Cochrane report

What does that say about Alex White reffering to the SCHER report all the time ?

weisses wrote: »
    The effect off fluoride was shown here via many reports as well .. now they are mostly considered inaccurate and biased

I just checked that website and they mention fluoridation has an effect

http://fluoridealert.org/studies/caries04/

Well they say fluoride has an effect , no mention of water fluoridation being effective.

Do you accept that research has shown it to be effective?

Well they say fluoride has an effect , no mention of water fluoridation being effective.

look better

from that page
    “it is now accepted that systemic fluoride plays a limited role in caries prevention.”

• Advertisement

Do you accept that research has shown it to be effective?

I answered that earlier .. or do you prefer moving the goalposts until you get you desired answer

As you said it yourself

Conclusion posted by SCHER contradicts some of the findings in the Cochrane report

What does that say about Alex White reffering to the SCHER report all the time ?

Does it? In what way?

I answered that earlier .. or do you prefer moving the goalposts until you get you desired answer

Only seen your post after i posted, sorry.

look better

from that page

Fair enough.

So what is the justification for ending fluoridation in Ireland?

Just post it again because imo it perfectly explains the cochrane report

If there was any actual evidence of toxicity at sub 1ppm then this might be of relevance.

No need for political intervention because there is nothing to hide.

Mullen lost her job because she exaggerated the significance of a fairly run of the mill piece of research.

She can spin it anyway she likes but anyone who bothers to read the research will see through it.

• Advertisement

Does it? In what way?

SCHER
    The few studies of water fluoridation
    discontinuation do not suggest significant increases in dental caries.

Cochrane
    There is insufficient information to determine the effect of stopping water fluoridation programmes on caries levels

And I did not even tried looking for inconsistencies

Mullen lost her job because she exaggerated the significance of a fairly run of the mill piece of research.

No ..That piece she produced was peer reviewed

Thats why her dismissal was deemed unlawful ..Which i showed to you in the other thread as well ...........Why bring this up when you know its not true

explained from 01:41.06 if you are interested

Thats why her dismissal was deemed unlawful ..Which i showed to you in the other thread as well ...........Why bring this up when you know its not true

But her research had no relevance to water fluoridation!

Chlorine (another halogen) is also toxic but is still safe to use in water treatment.

Can you not see how ridiculous her actions were?

Her personal beliefs clouded her professional judgement.

You have said your yourself previously on this thread that there is no evidence of toxicity at 0.7ppm?

Why is political intervention needed if there is a paucity of evidence regarding toxicity?

explained from 01:41.06 if you are interested

To be honest i not interested in her employment status , her research told us nothing.

But her research had no relevance to water fluoridation!

Chlorine (another halogen) is also toxic but is still safe to use in water treatment.

Can you not see how ridiculous her actions were?

Her personal beliefs clouded her professional judgement.

You have said your yourself previously on this thread that there is no evidence of toxicity at 0.7ppm?

Why is political intervention needed if there is a paucity of evidence regarding toxicity?

She was so wrong that she got a massive payout for her wrongful dismissal ....right

Ridiculous statements tbh .. more a form off character assassination

To be honest i not interested in her employment status , her research told us nothing.

Yeah got forbid you got your facts right when making statements about people

She was so wrong that she got a massive payout for her wrongful dismissal ....right

All your points about her are ridiculous .. more a form off character assassination

Who would of thought that giving large quantities of a halogen to rats would result in toxic effects?

It is a nice conspiracy alright just the research isn't relevant to low level fluoride exposure.

Yeah got forbid you got your facts right when making statements about people

Her research is publicly available , it has no relevance to water fluoridation at sub 1ppm.

SCHER

Cochrane

And I did not even tried looking for inconsistencies

Maybe you should read this again

Maybe you should read this again

I did

SCHER states The few studies of water fluoridation discontinuation do not suggest significant increases in dental caries

Cochrane states There is insufficient information to determine the effect of stopping water fluoridation programmes on caries levels

So one states there would be no significant issues if fluoridation stops and the other says that there is insufficient info regarding that

Was i reading it correctly ?

• Advertisement

I did

SCHER states The few studies of water fluoridation discontinuation do not suggest significant increases in dental caries

Cochrane states There is insufficient information to determine the effect of stopping water fluoridation programmes on caries levels

So one states there would be no significant issues if fluoridation stops and the other says that there is insufficient info regarding that

Was i reading it correctly ?

Where's the contradiction though? SCHER states that a few studies show this and doesn't commit to a firm conclusion.

Anyways not really important I thought you were going to go down a completely different route!

Im curious thought though on what recent valid research the Irish government is basing their fluoridation policy on .... Cochrane was pretty clear on the quality of all the studies

Ohh and just to add to the former point a SCHER should not be reporting on issues they cannot report on

making statements in their final paper saying discontinuation of fluoridation does not suggest significant increases in dental caries without the valid research to back it up is sloppy

And the government is gonna make policy partly based on their conclusions ...terrific
    There is insufficient evidence to determine whether water fluoridation results in a change in disparities in caries levels across SES. We did not identify any evidence, meeting the review's inclusion criteria, to determine the effectiveness of water fluoridation for preventing caries in adults.

Im curious thought though on what recent valid research the Irish government is basing their fluoridation policy on .... Cochrane was pretty clear on the quality of all the studies

Ohh and just to add to the former point a SCHER should not be reporting on issues they cannot report on

making statements in their final paper saying discontinuation of fluoridation does not suggest significant increases in dental caries without the valid research to back it up is sloppy

And the government is gonna make policy partly based on their conclusions ...terrific

I surprised your criticizing SCHER on this point seeing as it benefits your cause.

Disagree with you on SCHER anyway , it is just highlighting that the papers exist.

Both SCHER and the Cochrane reports agree that fluoridation is effective.

The Cochrane Review does advise caution based on the age of these studies.

Is this really enough for a change in policy?

I surprised your criticizing SCHER on this point seeing as it benefits your cause.

So now all of a sudden you agree SCHER has point that benefits my cause?
    Disagree with you on SCHER , it is just highlighting that the papers exist.

Disagree with you there .. they made that statement based on papers they researched ..why else mention it in the report ?
    Both SCHER and the Cochrane reports agree that fluoridation fluoride is effective.

FYP
    The Cochrane Review does advise caution based on the age of these studies.

Is this really enough for a change in policy?

If the effect of fluoridation is based on 4 decade old research .. then Yes of course the policy must be changed, specialy with the controversy surrounding it

What is your opinion on the Irish government basing their position on the recent studies mentioned in the SCHER report?

"Data suggest that the introduction of water fluoridation resulted in a 35% reduction in decayed, missing or filled baby teeth and a 26% reduction in decayed, missing or filled permanent teeth. It also increased the percentage of children with no decay by 15%."

They found fluoridation to be effective, as did SCHER .

As you said it yourself

You agreed only a few post back that fluoridation is effective under certain conditions.

So now all of a sudden you agree SCHER has point that benefits my cause?

Disagree with you there .. they made that statement based on papers they researched ..why else mention it in the report ?

FYP

If the effect of fluoridation is based on 4 decade old research .. then Yes of course the policy must be changed, specialy with the controversy surrounding it

What is your opinion on the Irish government basing their position on the recent studies mentioned in the SCHER report?

We know that it is effective under certain circumstances .

They can only go on the research that is available and they all show it to be effective .

Neither of us can say for certain what the impact of the bias and flaws in these studies might be but i would think that it is unlikely that it is enough to wipe out the positive effects that were observed.

Throw in its low cost of 4m pa and no known adverse effects, i can't see any justification for ending fluoridation just yet.

Worst case scenario is we are wasting 4 million a year.

Good summary of the Cochrane report

http://www.newsweek.com/fluoridation-may-not-prevent-cavities-huge-study-shows-348251

Shocking part is that this government/fluoride panel are basing their policy mostly on the latest studies ...which are flawed

I'm not surprised really ...Its all politics

And an excellent piece from Waugh ... Could have written this myself

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/2015/07/hrb-review-failed-measure-fluoride-exposure-population.html

Good summary of the Cochrane report

http://www.newsweek.com/fluoridation-may-not-prevent-cavities-huge-study-shows-348251

Shocking part is that this government/fluoride panel are basing their policy mostly on the latest studies ...which are flawed

I'm not surprised really ...Its all politics

And an excellent piece from Waugh ... Could have written this myself

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/2015/07/hrb-review-failed-measure-fluoride-exposure-population.html

I take it then that we should ignore the two papers he mentions and pretty much every claim he has ever made about adverse effects associated with fluoridation as that research generally doesn't quantify fluoride exposure either?

Does he think we are all terrible at maths or something? All he is confirming is that a persons total fluoride intake is not overly influenced by CWF.

End CWF and 2l a day of water equates to possible loss of 0.8 mg of fluoride

One cup of tea less a day your intake is reduced by more than 4mg.

• Advertisement

I take it then that we should ignore the two papers he mentions and pretty much every claim he has ever made about adverse effects associated with fluoridation as that research generally doesn't quantify fluoride exposure either?

Does he think we are all terrible at maths or something? All he is confirming is that a persons total fluoride intake is not overly influenced by CWF.

End CWF and 2l a day of water equates to possible loss of 0.8 mg of fluoride

One cup of tea less a day your intake is reduced by more than 4mg.

Basically the two stories confirm that fluoridation is not effective and only driven by politics

Policies re fluoride are based on flawed research as cochrane pointed out .. something you cannot deny i think

Advertisement