Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Car Boot Sale "Thursday 4th 7pm Lamb Doyles"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I think this is too short notice to be honest guys. If we left it a week and got word out to a wider number of participants it might be a greater success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The other obvious time and place is right after the first CX race on the 29th (with permission from the organisers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Was this on last night or is it on Thursday week in Lamb Doyle's?

The poll results suggest next Thursday would be a good time to run with it and it gives a week to vacuum clean your car boot, or buy a car.

I cycled past Lamb Dodyles yesterday evening, there was plenty of room.
    I can phone the nice man at close of business today if lads are happy to run with next Thursday.

The massive and always open Total Fitness carpark across the road from Lamb Doyles is there too.

Ok, so who's booking it?

• Advertisement

I'll book it Danno.

Booked for this Thursday so.

If possible could the the thread title be updated
    to add "Thursday 4th 7pm Lamb Doyles" ?

As previously mentioned if you could also manage to spend more than a penny in the pub Mr. Landlord would be most pleased.

Hopefully a good few will show at this. Petrol money and all in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I cycled past at 7.25pm tonight,had a quick look in and there was about 6 cars with stuff for sale,but no bodies around looking at the parts,kept going as it would be dark in another half hour,had no lights on me bike!! If it was busy Id have stopped to look/absorb the buzz and taken my chances in the dark later.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

I cycled past at 7.25pm tonight,had a quick look in and there was about 6 cars with stuff for sale,but no bodies around looking at the parts,kept going as it would be dark in another half hour,had no lights on me bike!! If it was busy Id have stopped to look/absorb the buzz and taken my chances in the dark later.

You could've bought some lights at the car boot sale!

• Advertisement

We'll need to organise another with longer notice and tbh, a more central location. I think PeterX's suggestion about CX is a good one. Finding somewhere with plenty of parking, willing to let us use it for free is the bigger issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did this go ahead ? Totally missed it. Any good

godtabh wrote: »
    Did this go ahead ? Totally missed it. Any good

Yes. No.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I missed it as I started vomiting profusely on the way home, sorry to hear it did not work out well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

TMI

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CramCycle wrote: »
    I missed it as I started vomiting profusely on the way home, sorry to hear it did not work out well

The car boot sale or your cycle home?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

godtabh wrote: »
    The car boot sale or your cycle home?

Neither seems to be getting positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Glad to hear it was no good ;)

For some reason I went to the Goat Tavern carpark.

At 7.30 and wondering how come there was no one there I checked the thread - Lamb Doyles, doh!!!

Lamb - Goat - kinda similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Lamb - Goat - kinda similar?

Not roast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

We'll need to organise another with longer notice and tbh, a more central location. I think PeterX's suggestion about CX is a good one. Finding somewhere with plenty of parking, willing to let us use it for free is the bigger issue.

Parking is very limited at the CX races ~ 120 racers 99% of whom drive there, plus course has to be taken down after race, so everyone is keen to leave after that's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

What about somewhere that a race is going happen. Maybe a week before the race as some racers might want to get in some circuit practice and would kill two birds with one stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

What about somewhere that a race is going happen. Maybe a week before the race as some racers might want to get in some circuit practice and would kill two birds with one stone?

Race venues aren't confirmed yet, but know that Grange Castle definitely isn't one for pre-riding and all the parking is private. Riding the course beforehand en masse can be frowned upon in other venues too as may put the race in jeopardy if there's an incident. The courses are only decided on the day of the race anyway after landscaping has been done.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

People want to prepare themselves before a race and, unless waiting to coillect their prizes, are often in no mood to stick around for an extended period after. I'm not sure trying to fit it around a race is going to work

Any thoughts about having it in advance of a Boards spin? It will, however, rely on people turning up in their cars and there may be a security issue if everyone leaves their cars loaded up with gear they have bought or attempted to sell, so I suspect it could be better if someone hung around as a "security measure"

It's better run as a regular car boot sale. Saturday morning, GAA or school grounds, with permission. Early start, around 8am and close it up around 1pm. Option of asking for a donation from sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Sorry I have not been part of the thread - I just have not been around (currently in Belgium).

The last time I ran one, I gave about a 10-14 day lead time on it and then wrote pieces for sticky bottle and went on to every cycling forum I know and posted about it (the last two went down really well).

I think Lamb Doyles etc... is a fine location, just people need to know about it 7+ days in advance. promotion, promotion, promotion. I don't know what my plans are over the next few weeks (as in, when I'll be in Ireland), but when I do have things straight I'll try and *actually* follow through on running one (I do have lots of stuff for sale).

Advertisement