Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Predator (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A great fun bad movie. I took junior to see it last night and it was a blast, several genuine lol scenes, the movie just flew by. If you wanted an actual Predator movie youd be disappointed though , no tension and no sense that the characters are scared by the whole thing, that was a big part of the first movie.
    For it being in their screen 1, there was less than 2 dozen people in the Odeon at the Point, which even for them must be poor

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It actually was not bad, I was expecting it to be terrible based on reviews I had seen but the first half was actually great and I was thinking this was the 2nd best predator movie so far, the last half of the move goes into silly territory but overall it was a very entertaining movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I enjoyed it, I was entertained, I laughed a lot and I feel like I got my money's worth.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Predator - 5.7/10

I was well aware of the negativity surrounding this film so expectations were adjusted accordingly. It is all over the place in so many ways. It never establishes or settles on a tone. The plotting has more holes than Swiss cheese. Some of the performances don't seem to be consistent, it's like the actors forgot what film they're in. But the most glaring thing for me was just how messy the editing is and its strange struggle for structure.

This is a Shane Black script so as you'd expect, there is lots of sharp, funny snappy dialogue... but nowhere near enough. My biggest problem with the script was that sometimes it seems to be paying homage to the original, and at other times it seems to be actively mocking its predecessors. There is a complete lack of respect to the mythology and I have no idea how they ever though bringing back Predator Dogs was a good idea.

Usually when a film like this has had re-shoots, you can make an educated guess as to which scenes were reshot. In Justice League and Suicide Squad they're very obvious. It's almost impossible to do that here as it is needlessly chaotic with shoddily edited setpieces.

It was entertaining enough in terms of practical effects and R-Rated gore, definitely a step up from AVP 1 & 2 at least. Shane Black's script has just enough for me to watch this again one day, but being honest this is just another cumbersome piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,413 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was just boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

:confused::confused:
    If the 1st Predator was here to give Humanity the IronMan Predator Killer suit, why did he kill every human he basically came across?
    Until the other dude showed up he was intent on??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Who was the blink or you'll miss it death?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The black fella over the government team.

Reggie. wrote: »
    The black fella over the government team.

The guy
    who went into the engine??
    Sure how the fook could you miss that??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No not Nebraska the bad guy

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

The girl told his weapon to fire and he killed himself.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The girl told his weapon to fire and he killed himself.

Was that why it went off? Didn't know why it fired

I'm more confused now than when I was watching the film.

Yeah think there is a scene missing where maybe the kid explains how everything works because after the barn they all seem adept at using the alien tech.

Which may explain why the predator go after who they go for.

Dunno seemed disjointed and doesnt really make sense if A wanted humanity to have the "cargo" why murder everyone he came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Seems a lot of my gripes and questions are similar to what is being said already.

I couldn't figure out why the creature that wanted to save humanity kept killing everyone.
    I was wondering what happened Sterling K Brown's character when my friend told me he got killed. It really was blink and miss it.
    And Olivia Munn is a biologist who out of nowhere is trained in weapons and combat training. Where the hell did she get those fingerless gloves?
    Did I miss something about why the alien dog started following them? I'm guessing it's something to do with the pitbull that was hanging around.
    Why did Ralfie Allen suddenly become Irish? Why couldn't he just have been British?

Apart from the Swiss cheese of plot holes I did actually enjoy it. There's some laugh out loud moments and doesn't seem to take itself too seriously.

Overall I'd give it 6/10

p to the e wrote: »
    Seems a lot of my gripes and questions are similar to what is being said already.[/SPOILER]

And Olivia Munn is a biologist who out of nowhere is trained in weapons and combat training. Where the hell did she get those fingerless gloves?

its kind of common in Hollywood films now that all 5ft nothing hot scientist women can out Schwarzenegger Schwarzenegger even with no prior training, I'd like to think it was ironic but I doubt it.

p to the e wrote: »
    Why did Ralfie Allen suddenly become Irish? Why couldn't he just have been British?

there was a character who was referred to as "lucky charms" so it was just an Irish character, didn't see the point of it , it didn't seem to matter.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah think there is a scene missing where maybe the kid explains how everything works because after the barn they all seem adept at using the alien tech.

Dunno seemed disjointed and doesnt really make sense if A wanted humanity to have the "cargo" why murder everyone he came across.
    Because he is a predator, he wants to save humanity, not individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saw this at the weekend and really didnt enjoy it.

Reducing the Predator to then introduce a massive one that is the true version or whatever it was...I rewatched the original to redeem the whole thing, and then Logan because Holbrook is a great in that, not so much in this.

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Just saw it last night. Absolute muck. I'm actually in shock and angry that it was so bad. Hollywood is just utter **** these days.

Just saw it last night. Absolute muck. I'm actually in shock and angry that it was so bad. Hollywood is just utter **** these days.

after the movie I summed it up by saying to junior it was like a bunch of teenage sh1t posters hacked the agreed script. He was wondering how it ever got signed off as good to go. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I enjoyed it. Some ridiculous parts in the second half of the film. It was much better than the Adrian Brody Predator movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It could have done with being more violent but it was fun film with great action. The characters were all fun and it satisfied a desire I have had for a long time -
    for an energy shield to maim people.
    :D

A couple of things that Traeger said didn't make sense -
    that the creatures had been on Earth in '87 and '92 and the visit were becoming more frequent but they'd only been here twice. That the predators had an interest in hunting as much as possible before humanity becomes extinct and then taking the planet but where did he get this information (EDIT: They can translate the language - did they get this from the Predator armour? I had assumed they could operate any of the captured tech which is why it was in a case and not being used to build weapons.) And how did he know the fugitive Predator was bringing something to help humanity?

in 92 they gave Glover a gun from 1882 iirc

Also didnt get why they used the translator as a far superior species they should have mastered the language by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Who is the "all" - only a couple of the characters use alien tech.

The scene is not missing -
    in the jungle after the hunt begins Traeger asked Rory how he used the helmet's weapons and Rory told him he didn't, the helmet reacted to the attack. This happens with McKenna at the start too and Traeger uses his weapon the same way.

There is no disjoint in fugitive Predator's actions either.
    He woke up and was being held prisoner. He killed to escape so he could complete his mission. McKenna and the Loonies had no problem killing other humans to defend themselves and to get there mission done - same thing.
    The issue with the cargo is how Traeger knew there was a cargo to begin with or that the cargo was for humanity. Which it might not have been anyway. The fugitive Predator may have intended to use the Predator Killer himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Wow! What an absolute hodge podge of a movie. It's clear as day that this is a splice of different scripts/cuts of the movie to make one complete mess of nonsense. The characters don't cut the mustard and are just annoying more than anything. Alfie Allen's accent... WTF? He had his own accent, then it was sounding sketchy and Oirish, then someone calls him "lucky charms" and then it appears his accent is supposed to be Irish.

Then Sterling K. Brown's government bad guy who was just a complete a$$hole and unnecessarily antagonistic. There is an alien situation going on and he just wants to go around getting the lads killed because reasons. There are more human killing human deaths in this than predator killing humans.

The CGI is brutal. Most of the kills are in the trailers, and just as much a blink and you miss them as they are presented there. Flash cut violence was not the "R rating" violence that Shane Black had been touting this up to be. What was wrong with the cloaked predator effects from the original. That look is cool and effective. The CG cloaked predator (and uncloaked super-predator) was awful. The old PC games had better graphics.

I feel like this film is inexcusable for how bad it has turned out. I don't think anyone was rushing to get this out for a particular date, Shane Black had ample time to perfect a shooting script that worked, yet here we are. It is complete nonsense. Don't get me started on Aspergers being like the next step in human evolution, like the x gene in X-Men.

I feel bad for Jacob Tremblay, he's a great little actor and this gave off a stink of early Daniel Radcliffe in the first Harry Potter, but worse again.

A few bits:
    I did not notice who got killed, let along that it was Sterling K Brown's character. Which then made me ask "how?"
    Olivia Munn catching up with the predator ship at the end was a complete piss take.
    Also funny that she could keep up running speed with the predator when running underneath him.
    What happened to Jacob Tremblay's mom after the Predator ransacked her house and killed everyone. No cut away to show her after that.
    The ending with the new Predator tech for humans has just gone and killed the franchise for me. I want my predator films as man vs predator, not man with predator tech vs predator. Where's the fun in that?
    The cheesy call backs to the original were woeful. "Get to the choppas" etc

This film makes Predators look like a masterpiece. Where was the sequel to that obvious sequel baiting film?

Wow! What an absolute hodge podge of a movie. It's clear as day that this is a splice of different scripts/cuts of the movie to make one complete mess of nonsense. The characters don't cut the mustard and are just annoying more than anything. Alfie Allen's accent... WTF? He had his own accent, then it was sounding sketchy and Oirish, then someone calls him "lucky charms" and then it appears his accent is supposed to be Irish.

Then Sterling K. Brown's government bad guy who was just a complete a$$hole and unnecessarily antagonistic. There is an alien situation going on and he just wants to go around getting the lads killed because reasons. There are more human killing human deaths in this than predator killing humans.

The CGI is brutal. Most of the kills are in the trailers, and just as much a blink and you miss them as they are presented there. Flash cut violence was not the "R rating" violence that Shane Black had been touting this up to be. What was wrong with the cloaked predator effects from the original. That look is cool and effective. The CG cloaked predator (and uncloaked super-predator) was awful. The old PC games had better graphics.

I feel like this film is inexcusable for how bad it has turned out. I don't think anyone was rushing to get this out for a particular date, Shane Black had ample time to perfect a shooting script that worked, yet here we are. It is complete nonsense. Don't get me started on Aspergers being like the next step in human evolution, like the x gene in X-Men.

I feel bad for Jacob Tremblay, he's a great little actor and this gave off a stink of early Daniel Radcliffe in the first Harry Potter, but worse again.

A few bits:
    I did not notice who got killed, let along that it was Sterling K Brown's character. Which then made me ask "how?"
    Olivia Munn catching up with the predator ship at the end was a complete piss take.
    Also funny that she could keep up running speed with the predator when running underneath him.
    What happened to Jacob Tremblay's mom after the Predator ransacked her house and killed everyone. No cut away to show her after that.
    The ending with the new Predator tech for humans has just gone and killed the franchise for me. I want my predator films as man vs predator, not man with predator tech vs predator. Where's the fun in that?
    The cheesy call backs to the original were woeful. "Get to the choppas" etc

This film makes Predators look like a masterpiece. Where was the sequel to that obvious sequel baiting film?

Fully agree with all points

an amusing ripping apart of the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I went along not expecting much tbh as i saw the trailer and thought wow that looks bad, i actually thought it was 50 cent in the trailer, thankfully he wasnt in it

Anyways i was pleasantly surprised by this, its quite good in a silly kinda way, rolls along nicely, lots of action and blood, few humorous jokes thrown in and you know the film doesnt take itself too seriously so ya go see it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,230 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is very clear that the story we got was retrofitted. The ending reshoots are obvious. The story makes no sense based on the actions of the predator. The massive leaps in logic to progress the plot in clunky moments clearly reshoots bludgeoned in.

I thought the first half was OK, last act went insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Went a seen it today. What a mess. I did not feel anything for any of the characters and it was neither funny or scary. When a character got killed I was just like a well you were boring anyway. The only good part in it was the ships and the shield CGI was cool that was it.
    I give it 3 out of 10. Really wanted to like it but it was terrible.

Advertisement