Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ridge Racer on PSP is a great game. Great for a portable as it's easy to pick up and play for short bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

The last thing I got today was a new control perspex overlay and instruction card. Took an age to get the carriage bolts out, that green glue that Nintendo used is some strong stuff. And the joystick ball top was like removing the sword from the stone!

I had previously tracked down other bits and bob's for it too, so altogether that's the thing bloody finished at last :)

DSC-2108.jpg

DSC-2109.jpg

And 1.5 pence hidden too :p

DSC-2112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

So this is the last PlayStation that i'll hunt for I've set as a promised to myself :)

I just got a PlayStation 3 DECH-2500A 'Debugging Station' - I now have at least one Test/Debug of PlayStation from PS1 to PS4 and a PS3 Reference machine. I think thats the end of this collection :D
    516833.jpg516836.jpg
    Not a fan of boxes but it came with one
    516835.jpg
    There was even some 'Sample. not for sale' PlayStation Move controllers. They don't have the PS Move squiggle on the main button on the controllers like the retail units do I believe
    516834.jpg
    All now displayed in the 'office.' This console has a story about delivery here in Ireland involving DPD which gave me an insight into their chaotic setup/management. Shear luck that the kindness of another company that this wasn't lost to a skip. Will avoid DPD in the future like the plague/pox.

Very nice! I would like a Net Yaroze PS1 and Test PS2 but don't know if it's worth going down that rabbit hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Very nice! I would like a Net Yaroze PS1 and Test PS2 but don't know if it's worth going down that rabbit hole...
    I havent checked prices in ages but test ps2 used to come up for reasonable prices every now and again.
    net yaroze ps1 well thats rabbit hole no one wants !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A TEST PS2 is well worth the money, totally region free PS2 gaming with no need for a modchip or FreeMcBoot.
    If you are a collector of physical media, it's a great way to play them.
    I understand a PS3 with CFW is another, but there's something very pleasing about original hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS3 isn't a great system for PS2 emulation if you it uses software emulation. I found loads of PS2 games that don't play nice with the software emulation on the system and even some of the officially released games like the ones from Atlus run as if they are in 50Hz mode.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS3 isn't a great system for PS2 emulation if you it uses software emulation. I found loads of PS2 games that don't play nice with the software emulation on the system and even some of the officially released games like the ones from Atlus run as if they are in 50Hz mode.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I opened my attic door recently and a PS3 fell out and almost cracked me in the head. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really like the PS3. I mean it was a dreadful console for the first 2 years but by the end of its life cycle it had amassed a wealthy of great exclusives and was a better system than the XBox 360.

It's a much better console than the PS4 and I play it more than my PS4 still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

I really like the PS3. I mean it was a dreadful console for the first 2 years but by the end of its life cycle it had amassed a wealthy of great exclusives and was a better system than the XBox 360.

It's a much better console than the PS4 and I play it more than my PS4 still.

I never warmed to it, barring the exclusives. In multi-plat terms, it always got ****ty ports compared to the 360 for anything I've seen. An over-engineered, unreliable, overly expensive, pos :o

Well.... it wasn't the best console ever and in terms of console design... 110% agree with you. But I think the japanese exclusives it got made it a machine worth having in the end. Certainly not up there with my favourite consoles of all time (PS1, PS2, DS, NES) but think it's a console worth owning which I can't say about the XBox One... and hard pushed to say about the PS4 although it has a handful of games I think are good enough to push it over the line (bloodborne machine basically!).

I'm actually playing my 360 more at the moment. After years of scratching my head over what Bangai-O actually is and how it's meant to be played it finally clicked and I'm utterly addicted to Bangai-O missile fury. Pity my 360 is in my parents because I need to finish that game and get it out of my life. It's given me total Tetris Effect and I can't stop thinking about it and even dreaming about it :D

Well.... it wasn't the best console ever and in terms of console design... 110% agree with you. But I think the japanese exclusives it got made it a machine worth having in the end. Certainly not up there with my favourite consoles of all time (PS1, PS2, DS, NES) but think it's a console worth owning which I can't say about the XBox One... and hard pushed to say about the PS4 although it has a handful of games I think are good enough to push it over the line (bloodborne machine basically!).

I would agree the exclusives definitely make it a machine worth owning. Beyond that though, I think the 360 is comfortably the better machine (Phat models aside...but that goes for PS3 too). Emulation of the PS3 is coming along really really well....nowhere near good enough yet to warrant mothballing the console though...but given time!

PS4 pretty much the same, but to a lesser extent as you say. There's a handful of PS4 exclusives trickling onto the EGS lately....making the machine even less worth bothering with!

Well.... I wouldn't call any game by Quantic Dream worth playing :pac:

Well.... I wouldn't call any game by Quantic Dream worth playing :pac:

I actually haven't played Detroit yet, I presume it's not great? They've released Heavy Rain & Beyond Two Souls onto the EGS too...so fingers crossed we see more from other publishers...

I've not played Detroit either. Waiting for a very low price and a drunken night with people to laugh at it.

I've not played Detroit either. Waiting for a very low price and a drunken night with people to laugh at it.

I've a soft spot for those weird games like Detroit & Heavy Rain :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

As chronicled in another thread. I'm pretty much in love with this thing.

516963.jpeg

Looks great and is in the perfect spot, it'd be a shame to put it in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

There's sheds and there's sheds. This is a Celtic Tiger era thing that came with the house when we bought it a couple of years ago!

If it wasn't full of bikes and retro junk, I could rent it for €1000 a month!

• Advertisement

As chronicled in another thread. I'm pretty much in love with this thing.

516963.jpeg

It looks lonely there in the corner.
    You should really keep them in pairs :D

Ordered a few games from CeX. 9 games on PSP and PS2 for €31. €1.50 shipping can add up quick but when titles are €1-2 it doesn't matter, it averages €3.50 per game!

Interested to see the condition. Printed covers and platinum will get sent back. The question is how fussy am I about complete PSP games...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'd say you're better getting a PS1 Debug Unit if you are looking for an unmodified original console that is region free if you intend on just playing discs. If you're thinking PS-IO, then maybe a SCPH-1002 model be best as you'd modify it to install their switch board PCB.
    Net Yaroze is just mad monies, can't see myself picking one up unless I stumbled across a very cheap one :D never say never!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

First Mega Drive game in almost a year. Today's latest: Lemmings.

ryz3oQWh.png

FXGWE1hh.png

Really annoyed about the discolouration on the spine, though. Wasn't shown in any photos prior to purchase. Now I know why :(

Ordered a few games from CeX. 9 games on PSP and PS2 for €31. €1.50 shipping can add up quick but when titles are €1-2 it doesn't matter, it averages €3.50 per game!

Interested to see the condition. Printed covers and platinum will get sent back. The question is how fussy am I about complete PSP games...

Not a bad result. No printed covers, everything in good condition and only Juiced and the Midnight Club games are missing manuals. I'll return Tekken and Ridge Racer 2 as I don't want platinums. I'm sure in 10 years I'll be kicking myself for not getting complete PSP games but I'll worry about that down the line...

Everything apart from OutRun was €1-2, with shipping it averaged €3.50 per game.

sKqr26U.jpg

Even though I've been buying NTSC PS2 games lately, I think I'll buy the PAL versions of Gran Turismo 3 and 4 JUST to get those coloured boxes. The white one for GT4 is particularly gorgeous.

EDIT: Just bought them, and knowing my sh1tty luck, one of them will probably be a silver platinum cover. Hate that CEX don't separate black boxes from platinum boxes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Even though I've been buying NTSC PS2 games lately, I think I'll buy the PAL versions of Gran Turismo 3 and 4 JUST to get those coloured boxes. The white one for GT4 is particularly gorgeous.

EDIT: Just bought them, and knowing my sh1tty luck, one of them will probably be a silver platinum cover. Hate that CEX don't separate black boxes from platinum boxes

The red box for GT3 must be a later release, never seen it before. I got GT3 with my ps2 around launch and it’s in a black box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

The white box for GT4 is really nice, always liked the different coloured boxes outside of the generic colours. I remember the Buzz games had a red box on them too i believe

F4IveL1.png

New impulsive haul.

Was on my way home from work and I noticed the local cash convenience had reopened. Went in with the intention of just "having a look", ended up almost drying out his entire game shelf. The only ones I left behind were all FIFA games, music games, and games I already had.

• Advertisement

qJdVtBth.png

Well I saw this coming so I can't be disappointed or annoyed. Knew one of them would have the platinum cover. Awch well. At least I got the white box for GT4, needs a bit of a clean though.

God I hate budget labels so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement