Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think you'd be very lucky to get it for 120 tbh, a while back it was up there with sam show v price wise (not special ) at 150-180ish gbp so but have not seen it for sale in ages and it never showed up much either

its like me holding out at 80 for final fight as thats its forever price point to me ,lol , was at that for so long and now well... i refuse to go higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭geotrig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No not getting them mixed up. However Sam Sho 3-4 and V - V special and very similar. 4 is like an update of 3 where they fixes all that was wrong with 3. Similarly V Special fixed the mess that was V. 4 had quite an active tournament scene even if the balance was way off.

Love Fatal Fury as well. I don't think FF is dated compared to SF2, it's more a continuation of the first street fighter but just made more modern and actually playable, it shares the same director as SF1.

And even though it's a dirty rotten blatant rip off of SF2, I'm awful fond of Fatal Fury 2 and the series only got better with subsequent releases and iterations with the Real Bout special games being amazing.

didnt realise 4 had much of a scene to be fair and just remember some not particullary liking it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Samurai shodown fans didn't like it as it moved away from the slower pace of 2. I'm not particularly fond of it either but the fighting game crowd did like it. I suppose it's good for what it is but was moving far away from what the series was up to that point. It left behind the people that liked the defensive mind games of the series and chased after the fighting game scene with a focus on combos and faster paced gameplay. There's some tournament footage on youtube that you don't get with many of the other entries in the series.

Really looking forward to the PC release of the new game even though there's a big gap between the console release.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Samurai Shodown IV would be my go to one from the bunch. I like II but after playing IV a lot, the visuals are just far superior and I prefer the faster gameplay.

All can bow before The Last Blade 1 & 2 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got a Sonic Mania tee on sale from the Sega Shop, not sure about it, the print is a bit plasticy, suppose time will tell if it'll last.
    sm-team-ring-tshirt-01_1224x.progressive.jpg?v=1548337216

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Passed up last blade 2 for 20 quid.

homer-doh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got a Sonic Mania tee on sale from the Sega Shop, not sure about it, the print is a bit plasticy, suppose time will tell if it'll last.
    sm-team-ring-tshirt-01_1224x.progressive.jpg?v=1548337216

Worth it alone for the head on Knuckles! :D
    beejee wrote: »

Woopsy!

I think I have The Last Blade 2 knocking around somewhere, would have paid a lot less than what its going for now. MVS games seem to have grown quite a bit in price over the last few years.

beejee wrote: »

homer-doh.jpg

Run very quickly..
    love last blade and guess it kind of took off from where ss2 left off, still prefer SS2 simply for how different it plays to other fighters of the time, it’s all about taking your time, pacing, spotting an opening and dealing huge damage rather than speed, when the series went that way and more combo heavy it removed much of what made it great, still the new one seems to be a return to form by all accounts looking forward to picking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Worth it alone for the head on Knuckles! :D
    I didn't even notice properly it til after I bought it, I was just looking like "that's all the Mania characters" and when I looked again I was delighted. Was thinking of the Valentines tees but changed my mind.
    I'd love the froggy stuff but it's sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    there will probably be a download of the bin freely available soon

Heard you say that the time I was at your beers about Vector Patrol I think and it still hasn't happened. :P

They're very protective of developers in that community.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    Heard you say that the time I was at your beers about Vector Patrol I think and it still hasn't happened. :P

They're very protective of developers in that community.

Hence why I was happy to spend the money for Wireout.
    I still regret not buying Stramash Zone.

My next game purchase will have to be Pacman 4k for my 2600, it's amazing, though is prefer the 8k edition though that doesn't appear to have a physical release.
    There's also an excellent version of Galaga for the 2600, nearing release

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

arrived home on sunday with this waiting for me
    . It's in rough shape , lot of surface rust to clean and some swelling on the back plate of the head box and the light panel needs to be redone as it's warped. Some delamination on the sides of the body but that's fixable so I'll a bit of work on that side.
    BUT, the playfield is in great shape no visible warping. all parts are there, underside of the playfield is clean and the board set worked right away and it plays !

https://www.facebook.com/olonguet/videos/10157392813603276/
    I'll do a vid on it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 marcddsa

BGOllie wrote: »
    arrived home on sunday with this waiting for me
    . It's in rough shape , lot of surface rust to clean and some swelling on the back plate of the head box and the light panel needs to be redone as it's warped. Some delamination on the sides of the body but that's fixable so I'll a bit of work on that side.
    BUT, the playfield is in great shape no visible warping. all parts are there, underside of the playfield is clean and the board set worked right away and it plays !

I'll do a vid on it soon.

Your videos are legendary - no rush.... But I am waiting :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Didn't torture myself enough with Battletoads... so got this. :)

IMAG0662-2.jpg

marcddsa wrote: »
    Your videos are legendary - no rush.... But I am waiting :-) :-)

Nice, I can tell by the consent whistling sfx the opto is dirty/broken in the up kicker shot. It's a complex bastard to get to.
    Make sure you have replacedment parts before you strip it down because it's a long process.
    Have fun!!!

Ooops meant to quote BGOllie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Nice, I can tell by the consent whistling sfx the opto is dirty/broken in the up kicker shot.

The pinball whisperer.

Nice, I can tell by the consent whistling sfx the opto is dirty/broken in the up kicker shot. It's a complex bastard to get to.
    Make sure you have replacedment parts before you strip it down because it's a long process.
    Have fun!!!

Ooops meant to quote BGOllie

I think it was because the pin wasn't level and the coil couldn't push the ball up so it kept triggering the opto. It's most likely dirty.
    I've started stripping the head box already, taking all off it apart, cleaning, de rusting and sanding . I'll post a pic in the mod/repair thread in a min

oooh also . While in france I got myself a legitimate game machine :)

64437783_10157360750453276_7795590458008141824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeFJT7MsQc9xBbTe4SdU4Us_1iAYvywxlh6PGQHuKPUWAPsCHy36mb2mPvOTMfVdQVYMrOOxzlGzU0rwJ2sX0DnYVEG_qEkuI73TXfH-8tHEEg&_nc_oc=AQkzZeYtcBgHvkWMZy-5pacy8OxuV3jj6YRimKMoPQnhtDUZG2m_-ZY4JJq2DG1dsnQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=d133b348a8f567642f2d2cd0dbea9714&oe=5DB4C76C

I was hesitant about this for years but I must say this is one of the neatest piece of gaming kit I've seen in a long long time. Especially as a portable setup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

They really are a great console, particularly when modded to allow Retroarch and other homebrew

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Latest purchase...

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nintendo-virtual-boy/18104817

Just ordered a Power supply for it....hopefully many hours of headaches...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can fix the line issue.

Virtual boy is a great console to collect for since it's got quite a few excellent games despite the tiny library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Latest purchase...

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nintendo-virtual-boy/18104817

Just ordered a Power supply for it....hopefully many hours of headaches...

150 with 7 games? Dont know much about the virtual boy scene but thats a bloody steal IMHO. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You can fix the line issue.

Virtual boy is a great console to collect for since it's got quite a few excellent games despite the tiny library.

I'm surprised to hear you say that, as an owner myself I think they pulled out all the stops to make a selection of launch titles for it that are superb alright, but then that's all we got!
    Wario, Tennis, Red Alarm, Tele-Roboxer, Galactic Pinball all great, but V-Tetris and Golf not so much.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear you say that, as an owner myself I think they pulled out all the stops to make a selection of launch titles for it that are superb alright, but then that's all we got!
    Wario, Tennis, Red Alarm, Tele-Roboxer, Galactic Pinball all great, but V-Tetris and Golf not so much.

No, I actually really enjoyed collecting for the Virtual Boy as it was easy to get every game I wanted for the system and the only expensive game worth owning is Jack Bros, which isn't too expensive anyway especially the Japanese version (totally worth is as well, it's one of the best games on the system).

There's a few other games I'd add. Mario clash is fun if basic, the aforementioned Jack Bros, Veritcal Force is a nice shooter that plays like a PC Engine shooter. Panic Bomber is great but available on other systems.

If you get a flash cart you can also play the unreleased Bound High which is meant to be excellent and the English translated patch of Innsmouth which Jeremy Parish said is excellent. Must get a flash cart for it myself.

I think if you get one for around 150 you'll have a lot of fun with it. There's more exclusives on it I enjoy than on the PS4 anyway :pac:

Anyway check out the video series Jeremy parish did on every game on the system. He only has one more game left to cover, but I think he will cover Bound High as well after he covers the last officially released game:

I installed the VirtualBoyGo Emulator on the Oculus Go yesterday but it can't seem to find the ROMs. Must get it running, and much better than getting headaches playing the original. :P

I had the flash cart for it, Richard Hutchinson made them, but it never really got used so I sold it on.
    There is a homebrew demo of Mario Kart out there, for a flavour of what might have been!

I installed the VirtualBoyGo Emulator on the Oculus Go yesterday but it can't seem to find the ROMs. Must get it running, and much better than getting headaches playing the original. :P

The problem with VB is you really need that 3D depth to actually get what it's all about. Maybe if the emulator supports VR headsets then you'd get the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Inviere

The problem with VB is you really need that 3D depth to actually get what it's all about. Maybe if the emulator supports VR headsets then you'd get the same experience.

He’s running it on an Oculus Quest in full 3D I imagine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I had that problem and sorted it, but since I couldn't start anything using the touch controllers I never went back to it since, and now I can't remember what the problem was. I think it might have been that the ROMs were zipped? Try the .vb files on their own if they are.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    I had that problem and sorted it, but since I couldn't start anything using the touch controllers I never went back to it since, and now I can't remember what the problem was. I think it might have been that the ROMs were zipped? Try the .vb files on their own if they are.

Haha that was it. I actually copped onto that yesterday but when I couldn't figure out how to unzip the files from the Xplore file manager app within the go i gave up and put the headset away, now I can do them one by one at least. I think the Wario Land game is meant to be the best if them all as you can move between foreground and background and makes good use of the 3D effect?

All modern VR headsets use the same 3d depth as the VirtualBoy, you can even watch 3d movies and have the pop out effect without none of the compromises you get from wearing polarised glasses in the cinema, i.e the darkened image and weird distorted motion at least I see in the cinema.

That sorta "backwards compatibility" If you will will preserve the legacy of the Virtual Boy for years to come.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement