Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭weadick

It's not just to fill those jobs though, and people can find out about a particular job when they're offered it and say no thanks if they don't want it!

That's true. Just offering a word of warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Just wondering, do you think I'd have any chance if i don't tick the Dublin area in the application form? Husband is waiting 6 years for a transfer from a Dublin prison to midlands one, I'm not willing to be in the same position in 6 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Can be difficult to get out of a Dublin job like that. They can do transfers alright but can take time. I would be in favour of not ticking Dublin if looking for a transfer.

It's not just to fill those jobs though, and people can find out about a particular job when they're offered it and say no thanks if they don't want it!

Ya I think they can do that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Just wondering, do you think I'd have any chance if i don't tick the Dublin area in the application form? Husband is waiting 6 years for a transfer from a Dublin prison to midlands one, I'm not willing to be in the same position in 6 years?

Are you asking if there's jobs outside of Dublin? If so, then the answer is yes, but obviously there'll be more jobs in Dublin.

• Advertisement

There are more jobs in Dublin. Would you try any of the midland counties or Galway even?

They hardly all be jobs in prisons? Is it not jobs in the Public Expenditure and Reform Department and a few departments that be within it think the social welfare one is could I be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I was a permanent CO for a couple of years about ten years ago and a TCO more recently. Now I'm just guessing here but I'd say there are a lot of vacancies due to the virtual hiring embargo since the crash. It just depends how much of a budget they have to hire. Most of the vacancies are always in Dublin and I don't see that changing but there could be more vacancies outside Dublin than in previous years due to decentralisation. But it's hard to say. If you just want a job anywhere than it is important to include Dublin as one of your choices. Regarding degrees you certainly don't need one. In my opinion the most important part of the process is the tests. Unless things have changed the test is more important than the interview. You don't just need to pass the test you need to get a high enough score to get called to interview. I was told that during the Celtic Tiger when young kids ignored the Civil Service as a career anyone who simply passed was offered work but usually it is quite competitive.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I think its not the worst job by a lot shot. A lot will depend on your manager , and yourself , just like in any other job.
    Now once your in , you can apply for jobs internally at any level in the civil service.
    This is a big improvement from the old way of having to go from CO-EO etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Just out of interest, what are the pay scales for a PASO 3?

Are they the same as a CO. The booklet refers to pay as approx. 21k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Would working inside the public service via an internship at the minute be any help lads and ladies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭weadick

bijou wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what are the pay scales for a PASO 3?

Are they the same as a CO. The booklet refers to pay as approx. 21k.

The Prison Service just make it up as they go along...law unto themselves. As far as I know there are already two different payscales for PASO's doing the same job. This will make it three.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

irishfeen wrote: »
    Would working inside the public service via an internship at the minute be any help lads and ladies?

Yes, well at least for the Temporary Civil Servants it is. Any experience in administration will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

This is probably a stupid question, so bear with me! :P

I applied a few days ago and was wondering if there's any way to add your CV to the application? The application form seemed incredibly basic and I'm worried I might have missed something!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

WinterSong wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, so bear with me! :P

I applied a few days ago and was wondering if there's any way to add your CV to the application? The application form seemed incredibly basic and I'm worried I might have missed something!

Nope, you didn't miss anything. You just submit your application, the next stage then is usually aptitude tests. If you reach the qualifying standard on that, you may be called to the next stage (interview). Before the interview you will be asked to complete an application form - basically work experience and experience/competencies in certain things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

cee_jay wrote: »
    Nope, you didn't miss anything. You just submit your application, the next stage then is usually aptitude tests. If you reach the qualifying standard on that, you may be called to the next stage (interview). Before the interview you will be asked to complete an application form - basically work experience and experience/competencies in certain things.

Thanks a mil! I'm so used to spending ages on cover letters when applying for jobs that I'm a bit suspicious of anything that seems straightforward, even though the booklet seemed to indicate that the application was the only initial requirement. Time to get waiting, so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

cee_jay wrote: »

You don't by any chance know how long from the closing date the above process should take?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

According to the CO booklet on the PAS page for this competition, which many people seem not to have read, there will be 2 aptitude tests, an unsupervised one that you can do at home then if your results are good enough you get through to a supervised one, probably in Croke Park or the RDS. Can't remember if they have venues down the country.

This extra step could add an extra month, could be anything up to 6 months from start to finish. The unsupervised one is a new thing, and PAS will need to give people a bit of time to access a computer etc so that's why it would take longer.

Don't forgot, after all the above is done, and the interview, you are placed on a panel and mightnt be called for a job for months after that, or never if they don't take everyone off the panel.

No doubt there will be many grumbles about how slow the process is, but that's the price of having a fair recruitment process with thousands upon thousands applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Tigger99 wrote: »
    According to the CO booklet on the PAS page for this competition, which many people seem not to have read.

I did in fact read the booklet, in full but it didn't give a timescale, I just thought someone on here may have some idea if they went through the recruitment process in the past.

But that's my point AQ. It depends on how many apply, on the new step, on where people place On the panel. Could be 6 months, could be 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

It was 6 months between the exam and interview for 2 roles for me.
    Took at least a year from exam to interview for another role.

When I passed an interview , it took another 6/7 months before I actually started work.
    The panel moved at a kinda predicable speed , 1-2 people a month , I was about 14th I think.

• Advertisement

Okay the booklet doesn't specify which methods they are going to use just those they may use. They may not have decided yet or are just covering themselves in case they change their minds but here's what they usually do and will most likely do again.

After you do the short online application and after the closing date you are invited to do an online questionnaire. You are marked on this. It is basically a lot of questions on past experience, suitability for the role and some hypothetical work scenarios. When hiring TCO's this is the only test used but for full-time CO's this is followed by more if you like traditional aptitude tests as in numerical and verbal reasoning type tests. They sometimes have these in small groups in the testing centre in Public Jobs or else a massive gathering somewhere like the RDS. Both tests are very important as they will decide who gets to the final stage which is the interview and count towards your final position on the hiring panel. Those who pass all stages will be put on a hiring panel in order of their results. I would say getting from here to interview could take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Getting a job offer depends on the number of vacancies. But those at the top will get offered the first jobs and then they work down the panel as the jobs come in. The panel usually expires after about two years. Getting on the panel is not a guarantee of a job it simply depends on the number of vacancies.

Divisadero I don't know where you are getting your information but tco's will be subject to the exact same process. Unions tried to push for something different but it didn't work out. A lot of your reply is misleading to say the least. Have a read of page 8 of the CO booklet.

The aptitude test stages are used to narrow numbers called to put forward an application, so it's neither logical nor an efficient use of PAS's time and also the people applying to even get into past experience and suitability at those stages. The numbers applying will be large and have to be whittled down first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Do they still require you to have your leaving certificate? Friend of mine is in her 30's and failed her LC - was thinking of applying.

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Divisadero I don't know where you are getting your information but tco's will be subject to the exact same process. Unions tried to push for something different but it didn't work out. A lot of your reply is misleading to say the least. Have a read of page 8 of the CO booklet.

The aptitude test stages are used to narrow numbers called to put forward an application, so it's neither logical nor an efficient use of PAS's time and also the people applying to even get into past experience and suitability at those stages. The numbers applying will be large and have to be whittled down first.

Very dismissive Tigger! You are right regarding TCO's my reply is somewhat misleading! What I meant is that to be hired as a TCO (in the first place) you only do the questionnaire and not the formal aptitude tests. I did not mean that current TCO's would get special treatment. The rest is an accurate description of the hiring process to date. It is of course all about reducing the numbers but you are marked on both the questionnaire and the aptitude test and the questionnaire is the next step and it does ask you about your past experience. So what's inaccurate about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Dovies wrote: »
    Do they still require you to have your leaving certificate? Friend of mine is in her 30's and failed her LC - was thinking of applying.

I work PS and one of my colleagues doesn't have it, I am unsure what the criteria is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Didn't ask to produce it or any other degrees /cert's for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

My opinion would be (and its just an opinion) that she could get in without it providing she has years of relevant experience (which if in her 30's she probably does).
    Degree's etc would only really be necessary if applying for different internal positions which may require such qualifications as a prerequisite.

Regarding the Leaving Cert I can't answer that for sure but the fact that they have left it vague would lead me to think you don't. I mean if a degree or Leaving was a minimum requirement they would (or at least should!) state so. I suggest your friend phones the PAS and just asks them. She doesn't have to leave her name if she is for any reason uncomfortable phoning them. But they are fine to deal with. They will (hopefully) have an answer for her. The number is on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

When you do the first application now on the website do you put in your experience etc? Starting a new job this week so might wait til I have a better idea what I'm doing there before filling out the application, but if there's no detail on the first step of the application I might as well do it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

sillysocks wrote: »
    When you do the first application now on the website do you put in your experience etc? Starting a new job this week so might wait til I have a better idea what I'm doing there before filling out the application, but if there's no detail on the first step of the application I might as well do it now.

Don't think there's anything bar name, address, PPS, DOB, e-mail

Advertisement