Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I agree, can Aiken be sued?

By who? Im sure they will offer refunds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Yeah Ive heard that. Should never have sold tickets for the gigs in the first place without a license.

Its incredibly standard practice and tickets are sold subject to licence.

And no, Aiken are well and truly covered and cannot be sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Wouldn't be surprised if Garth pulled the dates altogether.
    Independent.ie has learned from separate sources in Croke Park and in the music industry that the country superstar may pull out of all his Irish gigs, after Dublin City Council only gave a licence for three of the five concerts.

This ruling is in breach of the contract that Brooks signed with Aiken Promotions for five concerts.

A source told this website today: “I would expect that none of these concerts will now go ahead.”

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/exclusive-fears-grow-that-all-five-garth-brooks-gigs-will-be-cancelled-30404148.html

Lithium93_ wrote: »

That's a very flippant comment and it is more likely that the shows will all take place elsewhere rather than not at all. I would be really quite surprised if he pulled. There's probably 80k tickets on the tout/"unsold" market as is, anyway.

Its incredibly standard practice and tickets are sold subject to licence.

And no, Aiken are well and truly covered and cannot be sued.

Ah it was always gonna be an odd case considering the agreement with the Croke Park Residents and GAA. They should have made sure everything was in place first surely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You'd think that those who live around Croke Park would welcome the revenue the Garth Brooks shows instead of complaining.

Ah but hearing that clown for 5 nights in a row is worse than water-boarding terrorists. Also they didn't get free tix.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They'll just move the last two to somewhere else. Be outrage if he cancelled all the concerts though. Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be hilarious, but there'd be outrage over it.

Ah it was always gonna be an odd case considering the agreement with the Croke Park Residents and GAA. They should have made sure everything was in place first surely

This case in particular, of course, but I mean in general, taking a booking whilst the venue is subject to licence is very standard stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Someone on Facebook linked a thing saying they could do dates in the Aviva or something to compensate. Dunno if that's what they'll do though.

The Aviva is 50k capacity, Croker 80k. 160k tickets sold for the two dates.

Add to that the fact MCD hold the licencing rights to music in the Aviva, and Aiken are their biggest competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Aviva is 50k capacity, Croker 80k. 160k tickets sold for the two dates.

Add to that the fact MCD hold the licencing rights to music in the Aviva, and Aiken are their biggest competition.

Yes 3 nights in Aviva being rumoured now

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

I bet old Garth wishes he had friends in HIGH places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

what an absolute farce. Not going to the concerts, not a fan of Garth Brooks, not someone who cares if people like him or whatever. Just as a mildly interested onlooker, the chaos and outrage on all sides is a sight to behold. Loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Boston is my favourite city in the world, would drop everything and move back tomorrow given the chance.

your from he states? I would move to new york tomorrow liven illega over there. I love it over there so much and been close to th family is better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

cena wrote: »
    your from he states? I would move to new york tomorrow liven illega over there. I love it over there so much and been close to th family is better
    Your living illegally in America?

The harsh reality is, unless you have immediate family living over there or have a passport yourself, your not getting into America to live permanently without at least a very good education or sought after skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Tinie wrote: »
    Your living illegally in America?

The harsh reality is, unless you have immediate family living over there or have a passport yourself, your not getting into America to live permanently without at least a very good education or sought after skills.

no i'm living in ireland.
    Tell me about it. I have looked and looked into it. Just a petty my nan didn't apply for a u.s card. Her mother and all her sisters live over their since the 40s. She would have got one no problem

jay here would be able to enter and stay no problem with him being a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've a ticket for Garth on Sunday. To be honest, if he cancelled I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Where I would see a problem would be for other bands watching. Imagine AC/DC thinking "we were planning on starting our next tour in Ireland but considering how bad they are at sorting things out, we won't bother".

Also what does it mean about the contract being for 5 concerts. Are we to assume before the announcement, he had signed a contract for 5 nights or that the announcement of each concert was made before any contracts were signed?

cena wrote: »
    no i'm living in ireland.
    Tell me about it. I have looked and looked into it. Just a petty my nan didn't apply for a u.s card. Her mother and all her sisters live over their since the 40s. She would have got one no problem

jay here would be able to enter and stay no problem with him being a doctor

Are you not a Dr too??? Was convinced you said you were before......

....Did you not have a degree in ...

"Thuganomics"....? :pac:

Get it....Cena.... Thuganomics.....

Right Im off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not a fan of Garth Brooks but Croke Park has been there since before any of the residents were even born. If you have a problem with what happens at a big venue like that, don't fucking buy a house there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Where I would see a problem would be for other bands watching. Imagine AC/DC thinking "we were planning on starting our next tour in Ireland but considering how bad they are at sorting things out, we won't bother".

There wouldn't be a lot of big bands that haven't played here before in all honesty, and even if they didn't they'd hardly do above 02 capacity for the mostpart. This is the first big stadium gig related issue I can remember in a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Garth Brooks is one of the biggest selling artists of all time and had a residency in Vegas he's not short of cash so I don't think it's greed in issuing an ultimatum ,he could have come back anywhere in the world but chose here it's obviously special to him after the 1997 show and he was hoping to recreate the magic,No love for the GAA at all and they are in the wrong but why should people worldwide suffer this late in the game ( 70,000 from 100 countries)

The residents are being a bit unreasonable I feel a lot of people will incur losses if this doesn't go ahead now it will be terrible for the economy and the reputation (poor enough as it is) of the country.

I suggest the parties involved stop being children do a deal then get back in court afterwards to sort out a proper iron clad deal for future Croke Park gigs to everyone's satisfaction.

Let people who have been looking forward to this enjoy it I honestly believe Garth is disappointed for his fans he's the biggest selling artist in US history at 123 million albums (even if he had a dollar for every one)he's not short of a few quid

Sort it out before we are more of a joke worldwide

Bottom line is there was an agreement in place, the GAA and Aiken thought "ah sure it be grand, no one will mind if we try break that agreement", they are at fault. The fans took a risk at buying the tickets, they shouldn't have went on sale in the first place.

Just thank god its only GB and not RATM :)

Bottom line is there was an agreement in place, the GAA and Aiken thought "ah sure it be grand, no one will mind if we try break that agreement", they are at fault. The fans took a risk at buying the tickets, they shouldn't have went on sale in the first place.

Just thank god its only GB and not RATM :)

Don't disagree at all but these tickets went on sale in early February so it's been 5 months and I just think it's terrible for people that it all falls apart 3 weeks before the shows where people have spent money which can't be recovered

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Brooks has said its either all 5 gigs or none at all.

Ive a ticket for the Monday gig so fingers crossed

I get the funny feeling it'll be the latter option.

I get the funny feeling it'll be the latter option.

Surely not it's staggering money to be lost €50 million or so

If only One Direction had their 3 gigs in Thomond Park, then all these shenanigans could've been avoided & Garth could have his 5 nights in Croke Park.

EdK wrote: »
    Surely not it's staggering money to be lost €50 million or so

That's what i don't get, the residents near Croke Park put up with GAA fans from May through September without a hassle, so surely they could handle Garth Brooks for 5 nights, and €50 million is a truckload of cash, and the local economy would benefit greatly from said €50 million.

That's what i don't get, the residents near Croke Park put up with GAA fans from May through September without a hassle, so surely they could handle Garth Brooks for 5 nights, and €50 million is a truckload of cash, and the local economy would benefit greatly from said €50 million.

Guess they can't argue with GAA matches happening in the stadium as they knew that when they moved in but frequent concerts are a much newer phenomenon

• Advertisement

IF TWO MORE GIIIIIGS NEVER COME

Advertisement