Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So yeah how long before everyone catches up on Dublin in the GAA?

Absurd how dominant they are compared to everyone this year, they could have beaten Monaghan by 30 points last need if they really wanted to.

Best of luck Donegal.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They've a bit to do in hurling but they've the best panel I've ever seen in football alright. Having guys like Costello and Rock to bring on is spoiling them a bit for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's going to suck serious life out the the SFC if Dublin juggernaut their way to a streak of five or six in a row. At the minute the number two team whoever they are are miles behind Dublin.

Realistically I feel Kerry or Donegal are the only teams I can see derailing Dublin in the next few championships. That said, I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't care who does it, once Dublin lose I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's funny, I see it more as a pity than an anger the way Dublin go about business. When a team is that good and don't seem corky or arrogant you have to tip your hat.

I'm a Wexford fan and I haven't a bit of hatred for Kilkenny eve though they've hockeyed us countless times in he last few years.

But when they have a game where they hit that sixth gear it's hard not to be a bit in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's not really an anger thing, I just really don't like Dublin in general :P

I don't really have any ill-will towards Dublin because they play great football that's visually pleasing and they do have the best supporters in the country, be that due to size is meaningless really when they bring about 2000 fans to League games. It's just nice to see different sides winning it, similar to KK in hurling but not this year because KK are the only team left to shout for.

I disagree that Donegal are the team to dethrone them though. I see Donegal getting further off their 2012 form every year. Mayo are probably the closest team to Dublin in the last year and will be for the next two IMO. They are a step above Kerry and Donegal but a step below the Dubs.

I'd love to see Mayo win it, if only because they've come so close so many times in the last few years.

Same. The rivalry between Galway and Mayo is non-existent at this stage so there's a lot of disgusting positivity between both counties for the mostpart. Makes me sick :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Just heard the Robin Williams has passed away

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Suicide apparently. Awful news. Loved Jumanji when I was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,694 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just heard the Robin Williams has passed away

RIP

He suffered from bad depression

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Robin Williams was the comedic chameleon. Just his name brings back so many happy memories and laughs. He was one of the greatest comedians the world has ever known. He was also one of the best people. An inspiration to many and an escape route for bad days it's such a pity that he couldn't find a similar escape route to the one he gave us.

Robin Willams may be gone but his legacy will live in the hearts and smiles of all those he has touched. I urge everyone to watch a Willams movie with your family, watch his old stand up or look at a few clips on YouTube and remember the wonderful man who was never too far off from those brilliant characters.

Rest in peace Mr.Williams. You will be truly missed.

Sorry for the long post. He meant a lot to me and my childhood.

:(

Besides his comedic roles, his dramatic serious roles were pretty impressive too especially the underrated One Hour Photo and Insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Love Robin Williams so many movies of my childhood Hook,Aladdin,Jumanji,Flubber,Mrs Doubtfire and the still creepy Toys even stuff like Jack

Genius he will be missed it's such a pity the funniest guys always seem to struggle with depression

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not often a celeb death leaves me shook up, but that one has. Loved him.mwas sad a few weeks back when I head His TV show had been cancelled. Really sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

heartbroken! I was a HUGE fan of his, he was one comedian still on my bucket list to see! :'(

Suffered from severe depression and was as bipolar as they come. RIP! An amazing man!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah this is terrible news. Robin Williams always seemed to be a hilariously funny man, who unfortunately hid his tears and sadness behind his laughter. Havent seen much with him recently except for The Big Wedding where he plays a priest who has over came alcoholism. When I think of his recent work, sadly all I can think of his the parody of him in Family Guy.

I will always look back at my childhood and have fond memories of watching Hook in the Cinema on the eden quay as a six year old nipper and watching Aladdin in the Carlton on O Connell St. My fav memory will be around 6 years ago when I watched Good Morning Vietnam for the first time. It was a great watch and made me regret not watching it soon. Williams was tremendous in it and his performance showed that he should have taken more serious roles.

RIP Robin

The one good thing that's come from this is that it might be the most serious discussion I've ever heard about depression in my lifetime. As infuriating as it is seeing stuff like "he's rich so what could he have been sad about?" the progress made since my own family was touched by suicide in 2008 is big.

One of my favourite comedians James Adomian put it perfectly "Sometimes comedy comes at great expense to the one creating it, like a powerful energy ray or spell that ends up killing the wizard." Comedy as an industry is so similarly heartbreaking to those involved as wrestling that I'll always see a lot of parallels.

And Flubber was a decent film dammit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

RIP Robin was in so many of the movies that I would say defined my childhood. Aladin Mrs Doubtfire and Hook.

Having had family deal with severe depression. It's sad that it takes the death of a celebrity to shine a light on the illness.

There was talk recently of a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire too

Patch Adams is a fav of mine

I wasn't keen on his recent tv show with Buffy though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I wasn't keen on his recent tv show with Buffy though

Either was anyone else, it was cancelled after one season.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't ground breaking but I felt it could be really fun at times, and the improv element really added to it. Williams was brilliant in it I felt. Was really sad to hear it cancelled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

just wondering if anyone here would be into doing a PW football league i put a team into a work one today but another league would help me focus on the team a bit more.

I'll set it up tonight and leave the code here or do it tomorrow after interest???

Oh hey! Post of the day! :D

My first one.

sod it I went ahead and created one here is the Code

1771158-415157

If anyone has anything to make it "interesting" post away I got nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

just entered. My team name is nineninetynine

Garseys wrote: »
    just entered. My team name is nineninetynine (even before I seen the name of the league!)

I thought I was gonna be on my own there for a while.
    Sssshhhhhhh you'll ruin the surprise :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sod it I went ahead and created one here is the Code

1771158-415157

If anyone has anything to make it "interesting" post away I got nothing

Just joined it there :D

Advertisement