Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish water truth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

the installation of water meters are being stopped daily across Dublin, large numbers coming out to meetings held in estates, all ya have to do is walk a few feet from your door and sit on the path for a half hour or an hour, work on your meter is called off, a battle won ;)

Shame the war's already been lost eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Shame the war's already been lost eh?

with an attitude like that, its no wonder the elite keep fcuking us over, its never ever too late to stand up to corruption!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Robbo wrote: »
    In many buckets labelled "Swag", supplied by the Rothschilds and Denis O'Brien.

No doubt Denis issued this order from the comfort of his lair in an extinct volcano. Before laughing manically at his latest dastardly scheme against the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm tellin Dennis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

the installation of water meters are being stopped daily across Dublin, large numbers coming out to meetings held in estates, all ya have to do is walk a few feet from your door and sit on the path for a half hour or an hour, work on your meter is called off, a battle won ;)

I would but i'm too busy working so that i can fulfill my obligation as a citizen and pay my bills/taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I was going to put a bucket in my fireplace and a funnel in my chimney, then I realised that water never comes down my chimney... Clearly the government are already stealing it somehow, it's a conspiracy I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bogan

Coat22 wrote: »
    I’d be fairly sure, now that they have a meter at the point where the water turns into every home, that there will be some way of doing this.

Just pay for your bloody water like the rest of the civilised world.

It's because of people like you that government can sell off assets with ease.

Of course they won't just turn off your water. That would never be allowed to happen so they'll find other ways as a workaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bogan wrote: »
    It's because of people like you that government can sell off assets with ease.

Of course they won't just turn off your water. That would never be allowed to happen so they'll find other ways as a workaround.

Prepaid meters ? You cut your self off then and get charged stupidly high amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Irish Water is a scam -
    it is the government setting up a utility company which it wants to privatise some time in the future.
    That is why they invested money in it, without even supplying a business plan or estimate of the cost per household.
    It would have been cheaper to have a flat fee for water and not have to install meters.
    No government party member answered me when i asked them during the local elections campaigning
    How much will it be to have a bath, shower, flush the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

with an attitude like that, its no wonder the elite keep fcuking us over, its never ever too late to stand up to corruption!!

The Elite? Oh lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Don't worry. Eh it actually benefits you not to use as much water because you wont be brainwashed as much by the fluoride in it that the banksters put there to keep the sheep quiet.

Or something like that.

Maybe. That's it isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Don't worry. Eh it actually benefits you not to use as much water because you wont be brainwashed as much by the fluoride in it that the banksters put there to keep the sheep quiet.

Or something like that.

Maybe. That's it isn't it?

its sheeple. but otherwise, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

VinLieger wrote: »
    The Elite? Oh lol

Yes. The elite. A shadowy group of people who happen to make more money than the deluded cranks who spend their days giving out about everything on the Internet.

Yes. The elite. A shadowy group of people who happen to make more money than the deluded cranks who spend their days giving out about everything on the Internet.

shadowy? they just happen to make more money? deluded cranks? Internet?

good lord, why have I never seen this before! My eyes are open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

the delicious irony...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

petronius wrote: »
    It would have been cheaper to have a flat fee for water and not have to install meters.

So people can use as much as possible to "get their monies worth"? Counter productive, no?

a fee based on what i use as opposed to a flat fee irrespective of use seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

sligoface wrote: »
    When our water get privatized and the price skyrockets we'll really wish we made more of a stand on this. TV license/broadcast charge, bin charges, water charges, property tax, we just bend over and take it all. They made this tax up and put in meters to justify it.

Summary: I don't want to have to pay for public services anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Nope, Summary: For years we've been told our taxes our paying for this, now they've privatised it and we'll have to pay again. All because the governments of past and present can't keep a hold of their expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

folan wrote: »
    a fee based on what i use as opposed to a flat fee irrespective of use seems reasonable to me.

More will have flat fees than meters installed (much more) by roll out time. So I'm guessing you'll think that's pretty unreasonable so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

dont fiddle with the manhole

Yeah , I hate when people fiddle with my man hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

More will have flat fees than meters installed (much more) by roll out time. So I'm guessing you'll think that's pretty unreasonable so.

Of course its unreasonable as I could pay more if I am metered than someone on a flat fee even if I use less water than them. So paying more for less would be deemed unreasonable.

yep, i think they should hold off until all metering can be completed and all metering should be started from a common time

So people can use as much as possible to "get their monies worth"? Counter productive, no?

well if water meters is to get funding so as we improve our service, fix leaks, more capacity as population increases

rather than the users be seen as a sorce of income, being more efficent with transporting water fixing leaks etc should be their goal.

Have Irish water been set targets to meet such as reducing the number/volume of leaks? Increasing resevoir capacity

Dare i say it even look at water recycling?

I see they are expanding capacity at Leixlip Water Treatment plant...
    what % of the increased capacity will leak out?
    Is increasing capacity by fixing leaks not better money spent long term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

petronius wrote: »

Dare i say it even look at water recycling?

I don't want to drink yellow water...

Drakares wrote: »
    Just pay the water charges and stop being a complete idiot.

Already am paying water taxes, sheep .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Foxhound38 wrote: »

No. I can't afford a new bill for something that I already pay for. Is my water going to get better now since they're charging me more? Tell me how, and I'll let you know if it ever happens but I won't hold my breath.

Rte takes the tv license money and still has ads and I don't even want or need it.

New by-laws for bins mean I am forced to sign up for a service to a private waste company and they can hit me with whatever standing charge they pluck out of the air instead of pay as you go tags. Another forced ripoff.

What do people get for the property tax here? Nothing. In the US it pays for your refuse at least, besides funding schools and other things. And if you told someone you needed a license for a tv you'd be laughed at.

There's no work in the west of Ireland so I cannot pay this new charge. But instead of wasting time sending out CV's every week maybe I'll just get the missus knocked up. We'll have more money and more water and I can make everyone walk in the street to avoid my massive pram. I'm already classed as a typical waster layabout by the likes of you due to being unemployed and unable to pay for the water charges, might as well completely fulfill the stereotype. Never mind that me being on the dole and the water charge being introduced are both due to a recession I had no part in causing.

Young college grads like me who can't get work and can't afford to emigrate are pretty fecked, and this is just another spoonful of misery can't take. So you can go and stick your summary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/promised-childrens-free-water-allowance-to-be-cut-30391081.html

methinks they should have spent some of those 50 millions on some decent PR...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Satriale wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/promised-childrens-free-water-allowance-to-be-cut-30391081.html

methinks they should have spent some of those 50 millions on some decent PR...

No surprise there, breaking promises once the elections are over. The gov are saying that it turns out children are using less water than they estimated. This is based on houses that were metered. Obviously they have no way of knowing how much water each specific family member used so is based on total usage for the house.

These households were metered, they conserved water, and now their free allowance will be cut. That's what will happen to all of us if we conserve water. Either that or increase the rates. The gov care nothing about conserving water and that was a complete lie. They are just trying to get money out of people's pockets and conserving water will not save anyone any money. Anyone who thinks so is being incredibly naive. If we all start using less water we will just get the allowance dropped or the rates raised on us. Especially since they need to make the profits attractive so they can privatize it.

If it turned out that those metered families used much more water than their allowance, do you think the allowance would be raised to accommodate that? Would they feck! It's a one way street in this country and all our money goes straight to the fat cats. We can't go disappointing them by conserving water to stay under the free allowance, they need those profits. I for one, will do my part and make sure to leave the tap running for a few hours each day just to make sure the poor dears at Irish Water don't go hungry.

Anyone who thinks this a good idea because people will stop wasting water in order to save money, get a clue. The less we use the more we'll end up paying, either due to cuts in the free allowance or a higher price per unit. The link satriale posted proves this. The precedent has been set, this is how Irish Water will operate.

But no, all of us opposed to the charge are rabble, troublemakers, freeloaders. Never mind the lies and profiteering right in front of our eyes. Never mind the morality of a government of a people who once had a quarter of it's population disappear due to lack of food now threatening to cut of people's water when many are still suffering greatly due to a crippling recession and have no jobs and no money to give.

As I said before, most people who support this charge are either naive as regards to the charge inspiring water conservation and water quality improvements, or more likely, simply the middle class people who can afford it, who look down on those cannot or will not pay as layabouts and parasites, thinking 'they're all on the dole stealing my tax', etc.

I look forward to the day when all the old codgers and gombeens who decimated the country and left nothing for fututre generations other than debt die off. The only ones left will be those who could not afford to emigrate and I hope that we remember what was done to us and can work together to achieve fairness for our own children and grandchildren. Unfortunately, many of our best and brightest young minds will be long gone never to return.

Advertisement