Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish water truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Isn't there talk of charging people with their own wells for yearly 'inspections' or something?

O_o
    Source?
    If this is true then it's taking the absolute piss, and whatever about water charges I hope everyone can agree that such a suggestion is an obvious scam.

Uepped wrote: »
    This is a fact that the RTE and Dennis O'Brian media wont tell you, Irish water have no way of cutting of your water if you don't pay the bill. sure they can come around and switch it off at the mains but all you have to do, is lift up the manhole and turn it back on.

What an inaccurate thread title :( I was hoping for the outing of some scam or conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lemlin wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland they call them "rates". Maybe we should adopt a name change and forget all the fuss.

The average down there is €950 a year, in a country where welfare payments are far lower than here and the average income is €8,000 less than here.

I pay almost 4 times that in usc. What's their avg usc per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I pay almost 4 times that in usc. What's their avg usc per year?

That might add up to the higher cost of your wages.

Irish water truth - rural people have been paying water charges for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i wasn't sure if the thread title was a new type of branded water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Drakares wrote: »
    Just pay the water charges and stop being a complete idiot.

Yea He should be a good little man and do as he is told.

Yea He should be a good little man and do as he is told.

yes

That might add up to the higher cost of your wages.

It might, but it knocks the shıte out of your domestic rate comparison. Don't even go there with vat rates, free health care, refuse collection and school books fees.
    Irish water truth - rural people have been paying water charges for years.

Everyone has been paying water charges for years. Via income tax, vat and commercial rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think she was joking :pac::pac:
    Oh no! Now the water fluoridation is even effecting people's humour detectors! :eek: When will the madness end!? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Drakares wrote: »
    Just pay the water charges and stop being a complete idiot.

Water charges should not even exist , suggesting someone to pay them sounds like such an alien Idea, especially for water that passes through an outdated underground infrastructure in many places in this country, water is an Inalienable right to the development of human beings, it has always been a free resource and its no wonder that they want to put a price on it in times of recession. its just a pseudo tax.

I quote, from the UN On 28 July 2010, through Resolution 64/292, the United Nations General Assembly explicitly recognized the human right to water and sanitation and acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realization of all human rights.

Not too mention its going to be a gravy train to the chairwoman Rose Hynes who is no stranger to state run bureaucratic organisations, I Quote from The Irish Times Hynes is the chairwoman of both Bord Gáis and Irish Water, to which she was appointed in July, 2013. She has been chairwoman of Bord Gáis since July, 2009, and also sits on its remuneration and investment and infrastructure committees. A lawyer by profession, she is also chairwoman of the Shannon Airport Authority and is a director of Total Produce and One Fifty One. She previously served on the boards of Fyffes, Aer Lingus and Concern, and held senior positions in the Guinness Peat Aviation group.

This is a Thatcherite farce,

• Advertisement

especially for water that passes through an outdated underground infrastructure in many places in this country

Don't they plan on upgrading the system using money generated from the water charges?

water has always been a free resource?

what about the pipes to get it around? irrigation? so on and so on.

the truth of the matter is, water charges are another tax on irish people because the government cant balance its book and irish people neither want to lose services or pay for them. Water charge or another rise in VAT or USC or anything else, it doesnt matter. its a tax.

at least this tax will have something do with consumption of these "free" resources.

Don't they plan on upgrading the system using money generated from the water charges?

not really, no. some of the money raised might eventually go there, once the other holes in the public finances are plugged.

Also, maybe a pay rise for some politicians.

folan wrote: »
    not really, no. some of the money raised might eventually go there, once the other holes in the public finances are plugged.

Also, maybe a pay rise for some politicians.

€1.77bn from 2014-2016 to be invested in improving the networks? Seems fairly substantial

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/

€1.77bn from 2014-2016 to be invested in improving the networks? Seems fairly substantial

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/

I wouldnt say so, seeing as it currently costs ~ 1bn per annum to keep the current cracks from shutting the whole systems down. there are plenty of cracks already in the system, and were already paying for them.

It might, but it knocks the shıte out of your domestic rate comparison. Don't even go there with vat rates, free health care, refuse collection and school books fees.

Everyone has been paying water charges for years. Via income tax, vat and commercial rates.

We don't have the UK to prop us up like they do NI.

Yes and rural people have been paying twice by paying our direct water Group Water Scheme charges plus these charges via other taxes.

I wouldnt say so, seeing as it currently costs ~ 1bn per annum to keep the current cracks from shutting the whole systems down. there are plenty of cracks already in the system, and were already paying for them.

Have you got a source for that? I just get results for the upcoming charges when I went looking

Have you got a source for that? I just get results for the upcoming charges when I went looking

sure, i had a look around that same site:
    It is costing €1.2 billion every year to run the public water system, with €1 billion of this funding coming from the Exchequer

http://www.water.ie/why-value-water/

Water charges should not even exist , suggesting someone to pay them sounds like such an alien Idea, especially for water that passes through an outdated underground infrastructure in many places in this country, water is an Inalienable right to the development of human beings, it has always been a free resource and its no wonder that they want to put a price on it in times of recession. its just a pseudo tax.

I quote, from the UN On 28 July 2010, through Resolution 64/292, the United Nations General Assembly explicitly recognized the human right to water and sanitation and acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realization of all human rights.

Not too mention its going to be a gravy train to the chairwoman Rose Hynes who is no stranger to state run bureaucratic organisations, I Quote from The Irish Times Hynes is the chairwoman of both Bord Gáis and Irish Water, to which she was appointed in July, 2013. She has been chairwoman of Bord Gáis since July, 2009, and also sits on its remuneration and investment and infrastructure committees. A lawyer by profession, she is also chairwoman of the Shannon Airport Authority and is a director of Total Produce and One Fifty One. She previously served on the boards of Fyffes, Aer Lingus and Concern, and held senior positions in the Guinness Peat Aviation group.

This is a Thatcherite farce,

You conveniently left out that the UN said water can be charged for:
    •Affordable. Water, and water facilities and services, must be affordable for all. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) suggests that water costs should not exceed 3 per cent of household income.

Up to 3% of household income is alot more than the charges you will be paying.

sure, i had a look around that same site:

http://www.water.ie/why-value-water/

Cheers

• Advertisement

We don't have the UK to prop us up like they do NI.

I wonder if these rural dwellers might be getting propped up by urban dwellers, paying higher lpt (in places like Dublin) :confused:
    Yes and rural people have been paying twice by paying our direct water Group Water Scheme charges plus these charges via other taxes.

Meanwhile some folk are still paying twice for water they can't drink or bathe in. (i presume yours is clean?)

Btw, we're you aware of the water scheme before you decided to buy/build there?

If so......

I wonder if these rural dwellers might be getting propped up by urban dwellers, paying higher lpt (in places like Dublin) :confused:

Meanwhile some folk are still paying twice for water they can't drink or bathe in. (i presume yours is clean?)

Btw, we're you aware of the water scheme before you decided to buy/build there?

If so......

Your LPT goes to your own council so urban dwellers would not be propping up rural areas. I would imagine the LPT is higher in urban areas because there are alot more services which are alot closer. When I lived in Dublin, I had a train station five minutes walk away, a bus stop at the end of the road, a cinema fifteen minutes walk away etc.

Nope, we buy bottled water for drinking.

I was aware that I would either have to dig a private well or connect to the Group Water Scheme for a charge of €1600. I also had to dig a trench out the front of the house to get a water pipe to the road for the Group Water Scheme.

I'd expect anyone who isn't willing to pay their direct charges not to be supplied with water. Nobody arrived at my house to ensure I was receiving water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm just going to stop using water.

Feck you government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Saw a thing somewhere (Tinternet probably). A town in one of the southern states of the US got into difficulties because of no work people leaving etc. The council needed to raise money to do some work that they were obligated to do. So raised a loan and the only thing they owned as any sort of colateral was the sewerage system. So they put that up!

Things were dandy until the global economy went for a $hite. Bank foreclosed and sold the asset to some venture capital Johnnys. Sewerage charges rocketed, like tenfold. Streets and streets of houses disconnected from the mains sewerage and with porta-loos outside.

Merica huh. Couldn't happen here right?

Your LPT goes to your own council so urban dwellers would not be propping up rural areas.
    How much of the lpt collected in Dublin stayed in Dublin last year?
    I would imagine the LPT is higher in urban areas because there are alot more services which are alot closer. When I lived in Dublin, I had a train station five minutes walk away, a bus stop at the end of the road, a cinema fifteen minutes walk away etc.

How did this work before lpt? Afaik, income tax /vat rates were the same in Leitrim as what Dublin's were.

I'd also imagine it costs much more to service sparsely populated isolated dwellings than urban ones. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, we buy bottled water for drinking.

Ouch.

I was aware that I would either have to dig a private well or connect to the Group Water Scheme for a charge of €1600. I also had to dig a trench out the front of the house to get a water pipe to the road for the Group Water Scheme.

I'd expect anyone who isn't willing to pay their direct charges not to be supplied with water. Nobody arrived at my house to ensure I was receiving water.

The joys of the fresh countryside. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Denis O'Brien has really become the archetypal Montgomery Burns type villain for the Irish online crank community.

Why?

Was Burns also found by Moriarity beyond doubt to be bribing FG politicians in order to get his hands on valuable contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Why?

Was Burns also found by Moriarity beyond doubt to be bribing FG politicians in order to get his hands on valuable contracts?

Yes allergy

How much of the lpt collected in Dublin stayed in Dublin last year?

How did this work before lpt? Afaik, income tax /vat rates were the same in Leitrim as what Dublin's were.

I'd also imagine it costs much more to service sparsely populated isolated dwellings than urban ones. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ouch.

The joys of the fresh countryside. :)

I don't have the figures re Dublin and LPT. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

I'd actually imagine the opposite re the sparsely populated areas. For a start we don't have street lighting and other items like that. We require less Garda presence, crime rates are lower etc.

The current water setup is the perfect example of how rural people get a raw deal. We are paying twice - once directly for our own service and then via our taxes for that of urban dwellers. That's why we're laughing now at people complaining about "unfair" taxes. We've been paying water charges for years lads.

What is your problem with paying for a service you will recieve?

I don't have the figures re Dublin and LPT. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

I'd actually imagine the opposite re the sparsely populated areas. For a start we don't have street lighting and other items like that. We require less Garda presence, crime rates are lower etc.

The current water setup is the perfect example of how rural people get a raw deal. We are paying twice - once directly for our own service and then via our taxes for that of urban dwellers. That's why we're laughing now at people complaining about "unfair" taxes. We've been paying water charges for years lads.

What is your problem with paying for a service you will recieve?

so we can reduce garda numbers in rural areas as crime rates are lower. great.

theres no street lighting in rural ireland? really? please qualify rural ireland so, because otherwise thats just untrue.

its also lovely to know that urban dwellers have been having their services paid for by those in rural ireland.

• Advertisement

so we can reduce garda numbers in rural areas as crime rates are lower. great.

theres no street lighting in rural ireland? really? please qualify rural ireland so, because otherwise thats just untrue.

its also lovely to know that urban dwellers have been having their services paid for by those in rural ireland.

Garda numbers have already been decreased in rural areas. Did you miss all the station closures?

Towns in rural Ireland have street lighting. Not every single path you walk down in an estate etc. like urban Ireland.

Where did I say that about rural dwellers paying? I said LPT goes to the local area. Another poster came back and said in his opinion Dublin LPT was going outside Dublin as sparsely populated rural areas are expensive to run. I countered how would sparesely populated areas be more expensive to run than all the services on offer in Dublin?

Advertisement