Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl plans Castleknock store

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

AGC wrote: »
    Drove by at 11.15 last night and they were doing them.

What markings have the yremoved ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

threein99 wrote: »
    What markings have the yremoved ?

Someone else might confirm as I only went by it a couple of times when it first opened and didn't pay massive attention but to me it looks like a small turning lane into Lidl on the Church side has been removed and been replaced by a box with an arrow in it.

It certainly does not look like there would be any additional space for bigger vehicles to pass on the inside.

AGC wrote: »
    Someone else might confirm as I only went by it a couple of times when it first opened and didn't pay massive attention but to me it looks like a small turning lane into Lidl on the Church side has been removed and been replaced by a box with an arrow in it.

It certainly does not look like there would be any additional space for bigger vehicles to pass on the inside.

They sound like the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yep. They have moved the box to turn right into Lidl coming from city centre as they realised there wasn't enough room for traffic to go straight on.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Yep. They have moved the box to turn right into Lidl coming from city centre as they realised there wasn't enough room for traffic to go straight on.

So they moved the box forward slightly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

threein99 wrote: »
    So they moved the box forward slightly ?
    Here's a photo of the right turn box from noon today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We went to this Lidl on Sunday night - getting out of the car park took a fair while. In reality it was 7 minutes (I counted on the clock) , the cars were backed up passed the entrance to the underground carpark. The layout of the carpark is not great, I think traffic should be directed to go clockwise instead of anti-clockwise, we were queued so far back that the queue at times was blocking those coming in and they had to go the 'wrong' way around the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

How are people finding the traffic now?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Any update on when the cafe next door will open, not much activity going on in it when i passed earlier this month.
    But a brunch style cafe would be a huge boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

I was there on Friday evening about 6:30 and the traffic was fine. No queue to get out. Shop was busy but not packed.

I don't know about the shops and cafes but a lot of Lidl stores seem to take a long time before the neighboring units are occupied. Not sure if they just put the units in to ease planning concerns but they never seem to be in a rush to fill them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

digiman wrote: »
    How are people finding the traffic now?

I avoid it like the plague. Traffic was bad tonight, still big queues at 8pm. Seems bad anytime I'm anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

The town centre car park was jammed at 11am.

horse7 wrote: »
    The town centre car park was jammed at 11am.

Do you mean Blanchardstown Town Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

beauf wrote: »
    Do you mean Blanchardstown Town Centre?

Do we have another one in D15? :confused:

I'll blame the junction in castleknock for a lot of things but even for me I think it's a bit of a leap blaming it for traffic at the Blanch center 3km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Do we have another one in D15? :confused:

yes sir, we do have more than 1 in d15. there are several!
    this thread is about the one in castleknock village.

d15ude wrote: »
    yes sir, we do have more than 1 in d15. there are several!
    this thread is about the one in castleknock village.

Care to list them?
    I’ve heard of Castleknock, Castleknock Village, but never Castleknock Town Centre.

There is no place called the town centre its "Blanchardstown Town Centre" it's just a commercial name for shopping centre/retail park.

They never built any civic spaces for events etc. Really put no thought into creating a focus point for the community. But that ship is sailed.

It's rare there isn't heavy traffic and grid lock at the centre. It's so badly designed and planned.

The issue in this thread is they approved yet more development in castleknock and ignored anyone pointing out the obvious traffic issues. They should have had it exit out the existing shopping car park at the very least. But that ship has also saved.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They never built any civic spaces for events etc. Really put no thought into creating a focus point for the community. But that ship is sailed.

There’s the Draiocht centre and the library right across the road from the shops.

https://www.draiocht.ie/

And then there’s the millennium park just behind that which is used for lots of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,859 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

6.30 pm yesterday, traffic was gridlocked through Castleknock village, back beyond the Auburn Ave junction, due solely to Lidl. Lidl's has destroyed access to other businesses in the village.

• Advertisement

I suppose if people's idea of civic space is circus in a car park we're all sorted. We are lucky in that there are events in phoenix park and other places in the area.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    6.30 pm yesterday, traffic was gridlocked through Castleknock village, back beyond the Auburn Ave junction, due solely to Lidl. Lidl's has destroyed access to other businesses in the village.

I don't even think it's the volume traffic to Lidl. Lidl never seems that busy so it's not pulling much traffic to it. I think it's the abysmal redesign of the junction. It's added a sequence and is often blocked by a car turning into something.

It's really a junction I go out of my way to avoid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Is it any better or worse than it was though? Seems to me that traffic in Castleknock was always bad even before Lidl was built.

I suppose if people's idea of civic space is circus in a car park we're all sorted. We are lucky in that there are events in phoenix park and other places in the area.

Stop trying to ram your ridiculous argument down people’s throats
    There is a fantastic Library.
    Two fully equipped Theatres spaces.
    Art Gallery and Exhibition spaces.
    Multi Activity rooms which are available to all Community groups.

Then there is the very substantial Millennium Park, which includes a Skateboard Park
    Multi Sports Pitches
    Children’s Play area
    Picnic Area.
    Dog Activity area.
    Adult Gym Equipment.
    Finally, a large public space, that will host the upcoming Festival of Fire at Halloween and other regular public events.
    If you choose not avail of any of these Civic resources, that’s entirely your prerogative.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Is it any better or worse than it was though? Seems to me that traffic in Castleknock was always bad even before Lidl was built.

It was, which is why people had a problem with the planning to start with..

It backs up further away from it now anyway, and for longer.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Stop trying to ram your ridiculous argument down people’s throats

I'm not the one derailing a thread blithering on about a shopping centre 3km away.

Did that pizza place open, or indeed anything else new beside Lidl yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't even think it's the volume traffic to Lidl. Lidl never seems that busy so it's not pulling much traffic to it. I think it's the abysmal redesign of the junction. It's added a sequence and is often blocked by a car turning into something.

It's really a junction I go out of my way to avoid now.

I grew up in Castleknock and know the area extremely well and the traffic between the park gates and the village really got very bad in the late 1990s.

I believe it is because of all the housing development that took place in Carpenterstown at that time and since, where commuters living there are funnelled through the village and turn left at the light at Myos.

They should seriously give consideration to reopening White’s gate in the Phoenix Park and Carpenterstown-bound traffic could then by-pass Castleknock to the South, avoiding the junction at Myos.

It’s a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When and why did they ever close Whites gate in the first place? I used to go through the side gate there on a motorbike quite a bit (as lots of bikers do) and that road is as dead as a dodo despite being the most direct way to go to Carpenterstown from the park. Bizarre that they are not using infrastructure that is already there and pushing the main access to Carpenterstown through an already wedged Castleknock village. Re-opening that gate would be a huge relief for the traffic in Castleknock so it defies belief that it remains closed. Did they close it just to make Farmleigh House into a cul de sac or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When and why did they ever close Whites gate in the first place? I used to go through the side gate there on a motorbike quite a bit (as lots of bikers do) and that road is as dead as a dodo despite being the most direct way to go to Carpenterstown from the park. Bizarre that they are not using infrastructure that is already there and pushing the main access to Carpenterstown through an already wedged Castleknock village. Re-opening that gate would be a huge relief for the traffic in Castleknock so it defies belief that it remains closed. Did they close it just to make Farmleigh House into a cul de sac or something?

Whites Gate was closed in the late 1980s as part of a much wider closing off of through roads through the Phoenix Park by the OPW.

It badly needs to be reopened to take the pressure of Castleknock.

Advertisement