Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Idontlikefig - here is a link with more information about seeing a doctor under age of 16. http://ie.reachout.com/getting-help/costs-and-confidentiality/confidentiality/ Check out the rest of that website as well. Is there a youth project in your local area? The youth workers there may be able to give you some more information or support, especially seeing as your mum is not being helpful. Also, spunout.ie is a good website for information. Also, you can contact ChildLine if you feel you need to get things off your chest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Went to the gym and felt great today, did a good 2 hour session. I woke up at midday though!

How is everyone today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

GeneralC wrote: »
    Went to the gym and felt great today, did a good 2 hour session. I woke up at midday though!

How is everyone today?

That's brilliant. Well done. I have gotten into the routine of sleeping to 12 or 1. It's a hard cycle to break. Im going to try and start getting up an hour earlier each morning though until I'm getting up at 9 or 10.

I'm good today. I'm just after a nap and still feel a bit drowsy. Going to try and do a little study now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

How is everyone today?

Nicely done GC! :)

Nicely done GC! :)

Well, I was anxious during my workout and since, but at least I went up and got it done.

How are you Hugo? Staying up late to watch the fight?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

Anyone find themselves getting really sad far too easily after reading something sad in a book or movie?

angry maybe.

Well, I was anxious during my workout and since, but at least I went up and got it done.

How are you Hugo? Staying up late to watch the fight?

Not too bad here thanks GC. Nah I won't be watching the fight. I'll be full of grub and sleepy by then! :D

You staying up late?
    shooterjay wrote: »
    angry maybe.

Hi SJ

• Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

Not too bad here thanks GC. Nah I won't be watching the fight. I'll be full of grub and sleepy by then! :D

You staying up late?

Hi SJ

hi there.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    That's brilliant. Well done. I have gotten into the routine of sleeping to 12 or 1. It's a hard cycle to break. Im going to try and start getting up an hour earlier each morning though until I'm getting up at 9 or 10.

I'm good today. I'm just after a nap and still feel a bit drowsy. Going to try and do a little study now.

Waking up at 12/1pm in the day really isn't good for the head. Getting to sleep before at around 11pm and waking up at 8am is much better for your head, from my experience anyway. It's already 7.30pm and I feel lightheaded, groggy and out of sorts, I just think it provokes anxiety.

Not sure if I will last Hugh, it's scheduled to be on at 4am! Did you do anything today?

• Advertisement

Waking up at 12/1pm in the day really isn't good for the head. Getting to sleep before at around 11pm and waking up at 8am is much better for your head, from my experience anyway. It's already 7.30pm and I feel lightheaded, groggy and out of sorts, I just think it provokes anxiety.

I have a terrible sleeping pattern. Would sleep in until about 2pm if left alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

On sleeping patterns, I've actually started getting up earlier on weekends. I try to get up for 9 (at the latest), whereas I used to sleep in until about 12.

I've also tried to make a slight alteration to my diet, which wasn't the worst to start with to be fair as I generally don't tend to go heavy on junk food anyway, thankfully. It was just the breakfast (or lack of) that was probably the worst part of it.

I'm trying to go from a rather pathetic breakfast consisting of three small bars, and a cup of tea, to having a bowl of porridge every morning instead. Talk about one extreme to another!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Speaking of crap sleeping patterns, I have pretty much slept all day today and yesterday and just got up at like 6pm and spent loads of money on food and binged both days. I hate my ****ing life.

Yah I totally agree. I had to get up at 8 this morning. I was shattered by 12 and fell asleep at 2 for around 2 hours. I rarely have stuff to do in the morning but it's crap when I can't enjoy anything because I'm so tired. It's my own fault. I really have to get more organised.

Guys, I know we're all in this together, but do we really help ourselves? even with simple things such as sleeping,diet and exercise? Sleeping until 1/2pm and eating junk food along with an isolated life would make anyone anxious! I don't mean to have a go guys, just something I have even noticed with myself.

Even making small changes to your diet, sleeping routine and getting out for a walk can make a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Wilberto wrote: »
    On sleeping patterns, I've actually started getting up earlier on weekends. I try to get up for 9 (at the latest), whereas I used to sleep in until about 12.

I've also tried to make a slight alteration to my diet, which wasn't the worst to start with to be fair as I generally don't tend to go heavy on junk food anyway, thankfully. It was just the breakfast (or lack of) that was probably the worst part of it.

I'm trying to go from a rather pathetic breakfast consisting of three small bars, and a cup of tea, to having a bowl of porridge every morning instead. Talk about one extreme to another!! :pac:

Well done on taking that small step. It could make a big difference to your overall mental health in time. My sleeping patterns are pretty terrible too like falling asleep at 4am and waking at 12. I find the later i go to bed the more crap food i tend to eat the following day. Its a viscious circle.

Speaking of crap sleeping patterns, I have pretty much slept all day today and yesterday and just got up at like 6pm and spent loads of money on food and binged both days. I hate my ****ing life.

Sorry to hear that EI. Had a giant malteser bar earlier today, was nice at the time but felt like crap afterwards. Dont be too hard on yourself though, we all struggle with our diets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Guys, I know we're all in this together, but do we really help ourselves? even with simple things such as sleeping,diet and exercise? Sleeping until 1/2pm and eating junk food along with an isolated life would make anyone anxious! I don't mean to have a go guys, just something I have even noticed with myself.

Even making small changes to your diet, sleeping routine and getting out for a walk can make a huge difference.

Exactly. For me I'm really trying to get back into the running again. As for my own diet, like I said above, I think the only thing that was wrong with it really was the lack of a substantial breakfast. I might even start having two bowls of porridge. One at home, and a second at work!

I've joined a gym as well (although I haven't actually went yet!) so I can try and get my fitness/stamina back. I feel if that happens then maybe I can start entering races again and even the sheer completion of them should give me a massive sense of achievement (especially if I achieve PBs in the process!).

mg1982 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that EI. Had a giant malteser bar earlier today, was nice at the time but felt like crap afterwards. Dont be too hard on yourself though, we all struggle with our diets.

Yah loads of us do struggle with our eating. I find I binge eat and that it is a problem for me. However when I mentioned it to the doctors they didn't pay that much attention to it. I was thinking about over eaters anonymous but I'm not overweight so I don't know if I could go there.

I've cut out having a second dinner at home after work. Apart from that, I still eat badly. I find I'm really lazy and have zero motivation to change. I know it's totally a cop out though.

• Advertisement

Yah loads of us do struggle with our eating. I find I binge eat and that it is a problem for me. However when I mentioned it to the doctors they didn't pay that much attention to it. I was thinking about over eaters anonymous but I'm not overweight so I don't know if I could go there.

Im not sure what the criteria is there although im sure if you feel you have a problem with food they would welcome you. Chocolate is my big weakness though and big portions at dinnertime.

Im not sure what the criteria is there although im sure if you feel you have a problem with food they would welcome you. Chocolate is my big weakness though and big portions at dinnertime.

Yah chocolate, ice cream and fizzy drinks are my weaknesses. I might research them a bit more to see what exactly they do. I hate eating so much that I feel sick.

Yah chocolate, ice cream and fizzy drinks are my weaknesses. I might research them a bit more to see what exactly they do. I hate eating so much that I feel sick.

I think there is something in the chocolate that has anti depressant qualities. At least thats what i keep telling myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

It's weird, I think I'm the opposite to most of you. I feel that food is one of the few things I have control over so I have a very good diet and am very strict with myself. I've lost a lot of weight over the past 18 months and that feels like the only thing I'm winning at.

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    It's weird, I think I'm the opposite to most of you. I feel that food is one of the few things I have control over so I have a very good diet and am very strict with myself. I've lost a lot of weight over the past 18 months and that feels like the only thing I'm winning at.

Well done Frigga. You're living the dream! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I think there is something in the chocolate that has anti depressant qualities. At least thats what i keep telling myself. :)

I think it's something to do with large amounts of dopamine being release into your brain when you eat chocolate. It makes you feel soothed and content. I think anyway.

It's difficult cause food is everywhere! I'm not doing too bad, I've switched to eating plain dark chocolate kills chocolate cravings a lot quicker with smaller amounts.

Still a battle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

heyday30 wrote: »
    I think it's something to do with large amounts of dopamine being release into your brain when you eat chocolate. It makes you feel soothed and content. I think anyway.

It's difficult cause food is everywhere! I'm not doing too bad, I've switched to eating plain dark chocolate kills chocolate cravings a lot quicker with smaller amounts.

Still a battle though.

What type do you eat? The most I can do is 70% dark, anything more than that is just too bitter for me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    What type do you eat? The most I can do is 70% dark, anything more than that is just too bitter for me :P

I love the 70% from aldi comes in 5 small bars. I have one a day so far it's combating the urge to chocolate binge

I heard somewhere that Dark Chocolate is actually healthier for you too. I have no idea if that's actually true though!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that Dark Chocolate is actually healthier for you too. I have no idea if that's actually true though!! :pac:

Theres a higher cocoa compound in dark chocolate which makes it healthier. Its meant to a good anti oxidant and good for your metabolism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement