Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

mg1982 wrote: »
    Its a terrible thing when your life is dominated by fear and there are so many triggers that set it off. Im thinking of going down the private route for counselling myself. I know it can be 50 or 60 a session though.

The first session is the hardest getting everything out so to speak your background ect.
    I went every two weeks for a few months then once a month for a few months.
    There was a lot of ' homework' to do between sessions.
    CBT and meditation.
    That's my experience of it. Got help financially from family for sessions.

Wish I'd done it years ago.

GeneralC wrote: »
    My go recommended a guy to me before, he was charging €110 per hour! As a student, I just can't afford that. 50/60 euro is just about manageable.

Ffs that's ridiculous. Is there a doctor maybe in college you can talk to see if there is a way of getting less expensive for students G ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

heyday30 wrote: »
    The first session is the hardest getting everything out so to speak your background ect.
    I went every two weeks for a few months then once a month for a few months.
    There was a lot of ' homework' to do between sessions.
    CBT and meditation.
    That's my experience of it. Got help financially from family for sessions.

Wish I'd done it years ago.

Its great that you found it helpful. It can be hard sometimes to find the right therapist. Been to see a number of them over the years so can be hit and miss.

Its great that you found it helpful. It can be hard sometimes to find the right therapist. Been to see a number of them over the years so can be hit and miss.

Yep. She was the right amount of sympathy and discipline. When things are explained to you properly about your thoughts and behaviours they start to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Ffs that's ridiculous. Is there a doctor maybe in college you can talk to see if there is a way of getting less expensive for students G ?

Yeah, but it's €30 to see a doc :rolleyes:

If anyone recommends anyone on here that would be great!

• Advertisement

Wouldn't know any in Dublin. Maybe some of the folks on here tomorrow maybe able give a few suggestions.

I know there is an online register of counsellors nationwide. Heres one website i found.

http://www.counsellingdirectory.ie

Yep. She was the right amount of sympathy and discipline. When things are explained to you properly about your thoughts and behaviours they start to make sense.

When things are broken down like that for you it makes things a lot simpler to deal with. Trouble with me is i have a brain like a sieve. I could do a session and walk out and an hour later i would have forgotten nearly everything that was said. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This referendum is getting in on me.

I don't know what I'll do if it fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

When things are broken down like that for you it makes things a lot simpler to deal with. Trouble with me is i have a brain like a sieve. I could do a session and walk out and an hour later i would have forgotten nearly everything that was said. :o

I'd say they are well used to that. My memory can be terrible. Sometimes in counselling I would be answering a question and actually forget mid sentence what question I am answering. That had happened more than a few times. Scary but I think I can ramble when I'm talking and forget the actual point. In day to day life I realise now that I have to write things down because I just can't trust myself to remember.
    efb wrote: »

I would be shocked if it failed. The polls are showing a 70+% for the yes vote. Some people are still confused over what exactly they are voting for. The no campaign has focused on the area of children needing a mother and a father so people think they voting on adoption, surrogacy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Longing

Diagnosed with Graves disease early last year. Graves disease and depression usually come as a package. Depression set in last summer went to seek help as I was going to commit suicide. Very hard time for me. I can relate to so many people on here its a heavy cross to carry. Anyway I was but on xanax and 30g Mirtazapine. I'm off xanax since Christmas. I have had a good four to five months but in the last four weeks gone done hill pretty quickly. Physiotherapist yesterday increased medication to 45g Mirtazapine also he has book me in to a day hospital what ever this means. All new to me never heard of such places he just told me were it was and I would receive conformation when to go.

I wonder could I have some feedback on people who know how day hospitals work. Example: How many days a week, Hours a day, How long do I have to attend the program. Whats it like.

I'm really apprehensive about it. I don't know of any other options right now. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Contacted my old psychologist this morning at 10am, discussed a few things over email and scheduled an appointment for me tomorrow at midday!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Try Paul Mc Kenna s new book cd dvd I can change you're destiny. Powerful stuff if you stick at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I'm in the same boat efb, as are a lot of my queer friends. I don't think some people realise how difficult it is to have people constantly debating and judging a part of your identity (this goes for both sides of the campaign). I haven't come to terms with my sexuality fully either so I'm really struggling with it. Some family members are planning on voting no, which makes me feel like **** too. I'm not out to them, so I guess queer people are an abstract to them rather than anyone they actually know (there is no out queer people in my wider family or the area where I grew up, even though it's a pretty much open secret that one of my cousins is gay. He lives abroad though) so it's easier to vote no.
    Longing wrote: »
    I wonder could I have some feedback on people who know how day hospitals work. Example: How many days a week, Hours a day, How long do I have to attend the program. Whats it like.

I'm really apprehensive about it. I don't know of any other options right now. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Longing. I just finished up a stint of attending my local day hospital. The number of days is decided by your psychiatrist and the other members of the mental health team. It could be for 5 days a week, or even just 1, and you might only have to attend for a few weeks. I attended for a few months because I'm going through a particularly bad spell and have a pretty complicated diagnosis. In the day hospital I was at you attended from 10am-3pm (although you didn't have to stay for all of that) and did various things such as meditation, cooking, groups, art, walks etc. You will also have meetings with various members of the mental health team, e.g. nurses/social worker/OT/psychologist/psychiatrist depending on what your treatment care plan is.

Personally, I found it very useful as it helped me to be around other people (everyone I met there was really nice) and it helped distract me from unhelpful thoughts/how I was feeling. It also gave me a bit of structure to my day, which I needed. Some people who were there with me didn't like it though as they felt they could manage things themselves or didn't like the social aspect. Give it a go for a few days anyway and see how it feels. The first day is rough for everyone, but after that it gets a bit easier.

I somehow managed a cycle into town, got my haircut- which doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me, it's been somewhat of a terrifying experience lately. En route home, I stopped by my uni and went to the student centre to also enquire about the counselling service. They brought me into this room and I was shaking filling the form out- I really do need help, and I know that.

I am now tempted to contact my GP regarding my physiological symptoms such as headaches, appetite, irritability etc.. However, I feel it is linked to the anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 spudger1

I somehow managed a cycle into town, got my haircut- which doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me, it's been somewhat of a terrifying experience lately. En route home, I stopped by my uni and went to the student centre to also enquire about the counselling service.

From personal experience, sometimes it is a big deal. So well done for doing something positive, setting some wheels in motion.

spudger1 wrote: »
    From personal experience, sometimes it is a big deal. So well done for doing something positive, setting some wheels in motion.

If I am going to go back to college in Sept, and have some form of life I need to get a handle on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Well done on all that you've done today there GeneralC. :)

Well done on all that you've done today there GeneralC. :)

Thanks Hugo! How are you today? How's work pal?:)

Thanks Hugo! How are you today? How's work pal?:)

Not too shabby here thanks GC. Was a handy enough day in there today. Only one more day until the freedom of a long weekend :)

• Advertisement

Not too shabby here thanks GC. Was a handy enough day in there today. Only one more day until the freedom of a long weekend :)

Glad to hear your better today Hugo. I have to night shifts ahead of me now so dreading it tbh. Seriously considering leaving the job and look to go into something less stressful. Money is good but if its having a negative effect on you its not worth it in the long run.

I somehow managed a cycle into town, got my haircut- which doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me, it's been somewhat of a terrifying experience lately. En route home, I stopped by my uni and went to the student centre to also enquire about the counselling service. They brought me into this room and I was shaking filling the form out- I really do need help, and I know that.

I am now tempted to contact my GP regarding my physiological symptoms such as headaches, appetite, irritability etc.. However, I feel it is linked to the anxiety.

Well done. That's a great first step

Glad to hear your better today Hugo. I have to night shifts ahead of me now so dreading it tbh. Seriously considering leaving the job and look to go into something less stressful. Money is good but if its having a negative effect on you its not worth it in the long run.

Sorry to hear that you've a bad shift coming up MG.

There's no harm in keeping an eye out for other jobs. You never know, something might catch your eye.

That's good to hear Hugo, hopefully tomorrow is another handy enough day. Do you enjoy the work or does it bring you stress? I suppose every job has an element of stress, but is it manageable?

In my opinion, if you're not happy in the job and it's bringing you stress, then maybe you should consider something else. I know jobs are hard to come by now, but your health is a priority Mg1982.

Well done. That's a great first step

Thanks efb. I also managed to get to the gym, although I only went for 45 mins. But I did cycle into town and home followed by a cycle to the gym, so that's sufficient.

How are you today? keeping as well as can be?

That's good to hear Hugo, hopefully tomorrow is another handy enough day. Do you enjoy the work or does it bring you stress? I suppose every job has an element of stress, but is it manageable?

It can be stressful at times GC. I think my anxiety makes it feel a lot worse than it actually is though, if you get what I mean. Hopefully that'll fade in time :)

Thanks efb. I also managed to get to the gym, although I only went for 45 mins. But I did cycle into town and home followed by a cycle to the gym, so that's sufficient.

How are you today? keeping as well as can be?

Ok, getting by. Slept in though

It can be stressful at times GC. I think my anxiety makes it feel a lot worse than it actually is though, if you get what I mean. Hopefully that'll fade in time :)

Yeah, I understand pal. Is it office based work? I am sure it will fade in time as you get more adapted to it.

• Advertisement

Ok, getting by. Slept in though

No harm in sleeping, take it easy this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement