Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saab 96 V4 Build Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Sounds awesome :cool::cool:

Would love to have a gawk at it at some stage :)

Thanks man.

Should be road-going in about 10 days anyway.

Boardsies are always welcome to drop into me!

Okay, today's update. Finished sanding and priming on the driver's side quarter panel today, long overdue. And I lightly sanded the rest of the car, paint should be happening soon. Fixed some electrical niggles too, got the wipers and lights working. Nothing too exciting...
    Also, I explained earlier how the bumpers split into 3 pieces. Heres an example of how the bumper could look. Just two bolts holding the middle bit in with the same story on the front. Not a very flattering photo, and the over-riders are just hanging onto the bumper, but anyway...
    14483690885_c5b2c482f6_z.jpg

(still waiting on bloody light lens'....)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

the cars coming along nicely and looking well , are you keeping it the same colour or changing it ?

the cars coming along nicely and looking well , are you keeping it the same colour or changing it ?

No, unfortunately we're not.

Budget isn't very big, so everything is being done at home, including the paint, for the time being.

We're still undecided on what exactly, it'll be matte-something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

yea that trick with the over riders is looking well-will be nice when done and the chrome is polished and the car is matt painted up:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That Matte camo green is pretty cool. coming along well and fast! Is going to make an excellent and cheap summer runaround.

14491165164_37a0280181_z.jpg
    14305836529_cfc39bde07_z.jpg
    14469343816_f7170eabf1_z.jpg
    14491175454_248e61d67f_z.jpg
    14491240822_9b10c591c7_z.jpg

As of this evening. The bodywork is ready for paint now, both quarter panels, passenger floor, both doors, driver's sill and boot floor are welded, filled over, sanded and primed.
    Engine is running well, the starter is alright now but I might replace it sometime down the line. It started first tip this morning, without a jump. I was pretty happy with that. New plugs and oil as of today.
    Interior is clean-ish for now. Threw out the carpet, gonna replace it with new stuff. Still need to figure out what to do with the back seat (completely torn), I'll cover it with a blanket for now.
    I'm going to collect the two rear light lens' and the indicator lens for the front tomorrow, guy has other parts so I may come back with a back seat and starter motor.
    Next on the list are the brakes, they're practically non-existent at the minute, discs up front and drums on the rear, I'll look at them tomorrow, my local motor factors have parts, luckily.

Also, this is how the bumpers look when the middle part is taken out. I dunno what to think of them atm, I'll wait till the car is painted before deciding.

edit; forgot to mention, 1 week anniversary today :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

You make it sound so easy:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I hate him for it :pac:

roadsmart wrote: »
    You make it sound so easy:eek:
    I hate him for it :pac:

The trick is, don't work fixing cars as your day job, you'll enjoy working on your own more then.

When I was working full time as a mechanic, the last thing I wanted to do is go home and work on my own (at times when I sometimes had 2 or 3 projects going at once).

Well, it worked for me anyway.

• Advertisement

But if i don't work on cars during the day, not that i have a job anyways, i'd go insane

But if i don't work on cars during the day, not that i have a job anyways, i'd go insane

I would too, but only on my own cars.

But when I'm working 9 or 10 hours on other people's cars, I just hadn't got the energy to work on my own.

Kaiser D wrote: »
    I would too, but only on my own cars.

But when I'm working 9 or 10 hours on other people's cars, I just hadn't got the energy to work on my own.

yeah i'd say that alright, I might need a few tips on welding fromyou in the next week or two, how to do it, where to get materials and so on

yeah i'd say that alright, I might need a few tips on welding fromyou in the next week or two, how to do it, where to get materials and so on

No problem, I'd be happy to help

New lenses today. Both rears and one front indicator lens, €50 and the guy threw in the other indicator lens for nothing. It would have worked out at about €125 if I went for the ones in England.
    Toastedpickles, the same guy has some 900s for breaking like yours, I have his number if you ever need it. He's really cheap and sound out. Knows his Saabs.

14313058680_ea59c6201c_z.jpg

Jeez those lenses are bulky, any idea when you're going to paint?

Thank ya!

Thank ya!

I mentioned that I knew someone restoring a 900, he told me he has a couple of full cars for parts, and if you need anything he will have it.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Jeez those lenses are bulky, any idea when you're going to paint?

Sorry I missed this.

Paint will probably happen this weekend.

I've got the paint here, I was gonna possibly start today.

looks-like-rain-ted.jpg

Major update coming tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Ah c'mon, don't keep us waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

it had better be a big top mounted supercharger poking its way out of the bonnet:D

Not too sure about the blue ;)

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Not too sure about the blue ;)

We were waiting to change it before updating :P

But since its out of the bag, this is her.

10514667_752548428120717_1728450592863288010_n.jpg

Had nice plans for the blue on black but clearly the wrong blue was used. Its really bad tbh so we're going to change it to matte black soon and leave it like that for a while. I've been looking at chalk board paint on ebay, might try that as it'd blend with the rest of the car quite well.
    Anyway, took it for a spin today and have concluded its a right pain to use. The column gears are a bit hard to get used to. Brakes need bleeding which I'll tackle soon. I'm a bit busy with work things now so progress will be slow for a while also.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

I think it looks good, maybe a darker shade of blue and it'd be sweet

colincork wrote: »
    I think it looks good, maybe a darker shade of blue and it'd be sweet

That was the plan but we ended up with this and it looks a bit too cartooney for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

As seen on Donedeal

http: //cars.donedeal. .ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1976-saab-96-1-5-v4/7224969

Sorry boards won't let me post links:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Congrats - it looks well.
    Hope ye get a buyer.

Thanks guys.

Have two people hoping to have a look at Terenure on Sunday so I'll probably be there in it. Otherwise, I'm in the Midget.

• Advertisement

14402967390_e9ce180c3b_z.jpg
    Terenure yesterday parked next to a lovely MK1 Golf.
    Got laods of looks in the saab too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement