Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saab 96 V4 Build Thread

Options
  • 16-06-2014 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hello, this is my first attempt at a build thread so bear with me on this.

Basically I picked up this 1976 Saab 96 today. It had been lying since 2001 (going by the tax disc in the window). Its quite poorly around the back end of the body. I've also noticed that its been resprayed at some stage, as under the bonnet and in the boot is red. That doesn't concern me at all though. My main concern is with the mechanical side of things. Its awful to work on; no room in the engine bay and everything is hard to get at.
    I bought this with a neighbor/friend of mine. He's helped me out to no end with the MG and Wolseley over the last few months. We've got nothing to do atm so bought this. Cost €250 with delivery and everything. Not bad at all :cool:

The list of things to do is as follows:
    Engine and mechanical bits - main priority
    Bodywork - second priority
    Interior - third priority

And after that we can get to work on mods and the likes.

Anyway, here are the photos. It had just arrived about 5 minutes prior, packing 13 years of grime.

14431536731_aa9f3a2986_z.jpg
    14411770776_515b5c28a3_z.jpg
    14434882035_3281dd6849_z.jpg
    14248283630_717068dcf5_z.jpg
    And, the 1.5 V4 lump backing 65 BHP :cool:
    14435409271_226981884e_z.jpg
    14415628486_47b519cd64_z.jpg
    This was a perfect fit :pac:

Anyway, I don't really have a load of photos to start off with. Spent the morning cleaning it down and then the afternoon getting it going.

14415629456_198f3f56c6_z.jpg
    Three cans of this stuff on the engine freeing it up, it wasn't even completely seized either, after 13 years. A short video of it running:

(**** quality, again it was just a quick one for this thread)

I finished up early. Bloody kids in my neighbor hood are really annoying. I appreciate that they like the damn car, but please look at it from at least 10 feet away. I do need a garage.

I need to take the starter out tomorrow and I need to have it reconed somewhere. Its buried good and deep into the engine, so it'll be fun taking it out.

Also, even on this the car needs to be in reverse to take the key out. I was a good 15 minutes at it with spray oil and a pliers :pac:

More to come tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How feasible would a T16 conversion be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Great looking project, keep the updates coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How feasible would a T16 conversion be?

At the minute, not really. Doing everything by the side of the house atm so we've no ramp.

But it is a certain in a few months time, when we have a proper place to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Awwww yeah!! :D finally another saab :D

If you need a hand gimme a shout! :) I'll be keeping a close eye on this

Awwww yeah!! :D finally another saab :D

If you need a hand gimme a shout! :) I'll be keeping a close eye on this

Cheers man, we'd be more than happy with any hand we can get.

We're gonna tackle the bodywork tomorrow morning and eventually onto the mechanicals.

• Advertisement

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Cheers man, we'd be more than happy with any hand we can get.

We're gonna tackle the bodywork tomorrow morning and eventually onto the mechanicals.

Well pm me if you need a hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Where are you based Kaiser? If close to cork and you need an extra pair of hands give a shout

Where are you based Kaiser? If close to cork and you need an extra pair of hands give a shout

Many thanks for the offer, I'm in Dublin though.

Seriously, we do appreciate all the help we can get.

Sorry

Sorry

Haha, why? :P

That was a seriously generous offer, if you ever find yourself in Dublin with nothing to do, drop in for tae etc :P

• Advertisement

Living in Dublin.
    I was there for five months and didnt like it.

You'll see me at some stage. I love saabs. Hope to go shopping for one myself later this year.

Living in Dublin.

You'll see me at some stage. I love saabs. Hope to go shopping for one myself later this year.

You should make some sorta pilgrimage or something, visit my place first then up to kaisers :D

Living in Dublin.

Hahahahaha,

Well I'd be more than happy to let you see it! Just drop me a PM whenever you might be about or whatever.

That thought had crossed my mind.

I ll say one thing. I know loads of lads are mad for BMW and Mercs etc...
    But for quality comfort safety and all around niceness the SAAB is class and not slow by any means. Last week I took the avensis to Budapest and back and it would have been nicer in a 9-3 or 9-5.

I have wanted one for years. I plan to go shopping at the end of the year. I was thinking 9-5 estate but will probably go for a saloon. Might even go for a nice 9-3 if I find one. There is something magic about a SAAB that other cars just dont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Many thanks for the offer, I'm in Dublin though.

Seriously, we do appreciate all the help we can get.

well im got some free time tomorrow and wed and wouldnt mind giving you a hand at if i can anytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

Nice project always loved the look of the 96 , was tempted to look at it when it was for sale but 7 saabs is the limit at the moment , look forward to seeing your progress

Just a small update for today. This thread won't start to get interesting until we have the bodywork and the mechanicals up to scratch. I'll just update for the meantime, but once we've got the biggest hurdles out of the way it'll be plain and easy sailing, we'll be able to get around to the fun stuff and I'll be able to update here.

Anyway, today I filled the few holes at the top of the passenger side door and the few bubbles at the bottom. Nothing spectacular and nothing worth dragging the welder out for.

14445368352_faf79fc55c_z.jpg

I got bored this evening, so gave the front grille and light surrounds a quick spruce up, with, wait for it........Cif! The photos don't really show it as theres a bit of a shine and they're still wet, but they came out alright.

14260289747_c9dedf6c78_z.jpg
    14445371112_56fcac4ea6_z.jpg

Also found out that the front bumepr breaks up into three pieces; two bits from the overriders back and a middle bit. The middle bit can be screwed off to leave the two corner bits. I can't find a photo online, so I might just try it tomorrow and see what it looks like. Also found this today and thought it looked pretty cool, food for thought and all that.

tumblr_mboksrhtwe1rifq5uo1_1280.jpg

Yeah that looks pretty sick alright, did you see that show recently ( can't remember which one ) where they got one of those saabs and in my opinion ruined it by giving it an army look?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Yeah that looks pretty sick alright, did you see that show recently ( can't remember which one ) where they got one of those saabs and in my opinion ruined it by giving it an army look?

I haven't, is it a regular car show on telly or something? I'm not really a fan of the mil-spec (I do believe thats what its called in some parts), but we'd like to aim for something vaguely similar to the one above.
    !

Thanks very much!

I haven't, is it a regular car show on telly or something? I'm not really a fan of the mil-spec (I do believe thats what its called in some parts), but we'd like to aim for something vaguely similar to the one above.

Thanks very much!

I'll have to go look for it, I think it was on 4od.

• Advertisement

Yeah I found that, the show is called ultimate wheels and the Saab is on the episode where they customise ( badly ) a sheiks xj220.

the jif worked well-thats the kind of job id be just about able for lol

davycc wrote: »
    the jif worked well-thats the kind of job id be just about able for lol

With the weather we had today, it was all I was able for until I had to give up :pac:

More progress on the bodywork today. As per my previous post, I filled the few holes on the top of the door and the few bubbles at the bottom. On the quarter panel we welded from the inside and filled it over. All primed today. Same story on the other side, filled the top of the door, it really wasn't worth welding, there were a few tiny little holes, and got as far as welding on the quarter panel, will finish tomorrow with filling them over and priming.

I'll have to take out the starter tomorrow and leave it in to be re-con'ed. Engine flush is also on the to-do list for tomorrow, and we'll see what comes up from these.

14474162693_ed62ee20c9_z.jpg

Bit more done today (no photos I'm afraid). Took the starter motor out as it was sticking. Will leave it into Myles Balfe in Phibsboro tomorrow to be reconditioned. Otherwise, from what I can see so far it will just need a tune up and some fresh oil, plugs etc to get it running okay. Also managed to get it into all gears today, so we know that the 'box is okay.

Not a whole lot as I had other things on, but I hope to get a fair bit done tomorrow, I've been slacking the last two days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I have a real soft spot for that model. I just know this'll turn out well.
    Can't believe you got it for €250! Any idea of a budget for the work?

roadsmart wrote: »
    I have a real soft spot for that model. I just know this'll turn out well.
    Can't believe you got it for €250! Any idea of a budget for the work?

Thanks; it was a bit of a bargain alright.
    At the minute we've not really got a set budget, just spending money on whatever comes up at the moment. All on a bit of a budget though.

pm sent aboot tomorrow

Small update to cover two days work now. Basically, its running! Drove it very briefly just to test the clutch. A-okay! I always seem to work the best when hungover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Sounds awesome :cool::cool:

Would love to have a gawk at it at some stage :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement