Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats

Options
  • 16-06-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Anyone know when the repeats are taking place and also if you have tos it exams failed in the first semester?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

https://www.nuim.ie/exams/information-students/examination-dates

And yes, of course you have to sit exams you failed in semester 1. You'll have to pass everything to get into second year. Although I think you might get away with passing some things by compensation, but I've no clue how that works.

Full instructions for registration for repeats etc. get sent out with your results in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sorry to hijack, anyone know do you have to pay a fee to submit continuous assessment repeats too?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Sorry to hijack, anyone know do you have to pay a fee to submit continuous assessment repeats too?

I didn't know you could repeat continuous assessment?

I didn't know you could repeat continuous assessment?

For modules that solely consist of continuous assessment, if it is an optional essay then no you can't resubmit that as fair as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Prawo_Jazdy

For modules that solely consist of continuous assessment, if it is an optional essay then no you can't resubmit that as fair as I am aware.

It's different from department to department, although i'd imagine most departments lean towards not letting ca be repeated these days.

I repeated english a few years back in august and was able to repeat the exams and the CA essay, the essay, was due two weeks after my english exam, so I didn't even check the email that was supposed to be the essay titles till after the exam.

so I get home from the exam and open my email to find they accidentally sent me the fricken exam and not the essay titles, I could have had one of the easiest exams of my life had I checked my email before hand:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Sorry to necro but whats the marking like for the repeats like whats the most you can get in an exam royally fűcked up I blame the su and cheap beer on the poor results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pizzalover19

Does anyone know if you fail all your exams in an arts subject and pass the other subject do you have to repeat all the modules in the repeats or the whole year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Menelaun wrote: »
    Sorry to necro but whats the marking like for the repeats like whats the most you can get in an exam royally fűcked up I blame the su and cheap beer on the poor results :D

Officially identical to the original exam. Some lecturers differ though, I've lecturers that you'd need to be getting 70% in the original exam to get 40% in the repeat because as they see it you have three extra months to study for the exam and then other lecturers who will add random free marks onto anyone that gets 30+% in the repeat to being them up to a pass,

Great someone was saying it goes down a bit are they marked harder would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tjk14

I need someone to shine a line on repeats for me here..
    I've a meeting later on in the week with academic advisory office but I want to know if anyone has an answer here first..
    With arts, you take 3 subjects in first year & then drop to two in second.. If I fail a subject that I have absolutely no intention of carrying on to second year, is there a need to repeat it? Seems a bit pointless by my perspective considering to even carry it on I'll need 60% which I'm not going to get as I find it impossible!
    My friend got a letter stating she could drop law (from law & arts) that needs repeating to continue onto just business & sociology (double hons arts degree)., I am in just arts but dropping law also, is there a definite need to repeat if I am dropping it?
    Anyone know if it's possible?
    Thank you!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately first year is split in three parts worth 20 credits for each subject, 60 credits in total, you need to pass everything to progress to second year then it is two subjects with each worth 30 credits.

Anyone know if the card used for payment online for the repeat fees has to match our names, as in can I use my brothers credit card to pay or must it be my own card, don't quite have €240 in mine own account and want to make sure I do so before the deadline.

Whens the deadline?

Whens the deadline?
    Think you might have to register for repeats by the end of this week.
    https://www.nuim.ie/exams/information-students/autumn-examinations-and-assignments

But... when I was in second year, my friend had to repeat but didn't even realise it, she was out of the country at the time and missed the results and the deadline for registering for repeats. She showed up on the day of the repeat and was charged extra on top of the repeat cost, can't remember exactly how much it was but I do remember being horrified at the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tjk14

Say on the basis I've failed 3/3 modules in a subject. I missed 2 exams in jan due to medical reasons (I have a cert) and in the other I did sit, I got 38.
    Can I repeat just the two I missed & compensate for the other?
    Does compensation still exist in repeats? Trying to save myself money!
    Thank you!

Jaysis thats late when arecwe back I would assume very close to this date?

Jaysis thats late when arecwe back I would assume very close to this date?

Third week of September but anyone repeating usually registers the week after lectures start, repeat offender myself(pun definitely intended). :D

Right just out interest can you pass by compensation a subject you plan on dropping in second year by compensation it would save me a lot of time and money if you can

Also can we pay on-line for the repeats couldnt find a link or anything saying we could

• Advertisement

You need to submit that for by tomorrow and next week the fees office will invoice all of us repeaters you can pay online only through the student webservices yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Right just out interest can you pass by compensation a subject you plan on dropping in second year by compensation it would save me a lot of time and money if you can
    Yes

Planemo wrote: »
    Yes
    Do the grades have to be over a specific mark because I fúcking bombed Computer Science:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Do the grades have to be over a specific mark because I fúcking bombed Computer Science:mad:
    Depends on the department, check out marks and standards (under policies & regulations)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Not completely sure I want to, but thinking of repeating one module to bring the grade up if it's possible to repeat just for that purpose?

Today is the deadline, and still not sure if I want the higher mark or a free summer...

Is it even allowed to do a repeat just to bring the grade up when it's not final year exams?

koHd wrote: »
    Is it even allowed to do a repeat just to bring the grade up when it's not final year exams?
    Don't think so. Have to be in your final year as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

mickstupp wrote: »
    Don't think so. Have to be in your final year as far as I know.

Yea this is the case. Exams office got back to me to tell me I can't repeat just to improve a grade unless it's final year.

Happy and sad about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Please make me feel better (or worse) and tell me that having to repeat 3 modules isn't too bad, or am i destined for failure in second year..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

lisar816 wrote: »
    Please make me feel better (or worse) and tell me that having to repeat 3 modules isn't too bad, or am i destined for failure in second year..

I repeated 5 modules in my first year of Science. 4 of them were maths and the other Biology. It's far from the end of the world, just use your free time and put in a few hours during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Thanks for that, i am actually finding studying during the summer a lot easier, you can do it in your own time and no assignments, only down fall is the repeat fee, just out of curiosity what happens if you fail a repeat?

Advertisement