Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I'd drive after 2 or 3 pints every now and then. Mostly if we stop in for a few in one of the locals on the way back from a match etc early in the evening (wouldn't risk it late at night due to increased risk of bagging).

Some major exaggeration on the effects of small amounts of drink on this thread..I wouldn't drive after a sip etc and people saying anyone who looks at a drink and drives should jump into a bath with a toaster :rolleyes:

Most of the auld lads who drink in my local drop into town everyday for milk and the paper and have their two or three pints before driving home. They all arrive and leave at different times and need their car with them for other things. Totally impractical for these to get taxis as is being suggested by the city slickers on this thread that have no idea about rural living.

Of course, the option of just not having a few pints is totally out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I know a lad who gets his girlfriend to hide his car keys every time he has a heavy session, seems like a sensible decision to me and is something I would do if I knew how to drive and had a car and a girlfriend. :pac:

Mint Sauce wrote: »

I wont even get into my car the next morning if I have been out.

Well most people aren't willing to give up going somewhere in the car the next morning just because they have been out the night before. This morning bagging that came in a few years ago is ridiculous.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    As for rural living, when I'm at home for the weekend, its €15-20 for a taxi home. I pay it, stay at a friends/cousins house, or simply dont drink. As for the Oul Lads, could they not buy a few bottle along with the paper and milk, and drink it in their own home.

And when I go out drinking properly I always get a taxi or a lift home too I wouldn't dream of driving home after a night out. Getting a taxi (and the having the car left behind) after an impromptu 2 or 3 pints in an hour or so on the way home from a match on a Sunday evening just isn't going to happen though.

I do it maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I'd say 70%+ of people who drink in my local (and it's a busy local) drive home all the time if only having a few, particularly if it's late afternoon or early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well most people aren't willing to give up going somewhere in the car the next morning just because they have been out the night before. This morning bagging that came in a few years ago is ridiculous.

Maybe it is, but is it worth taking the chance. Anytime I have been away for the weekend and driving, have made it clear to my company that it will be the afternoon at least before we're going home. Even none drivers have understood this request.
    And when I go out drinking properly I always get a taxi or a lift home too I wouldn't dream of driving home after a night out. Getting a taxi (and the having the car left behind) after an impromptu 2 or 3 pints in an hour or so on the way home from a match on a Sunday evening just isn't going to happen though.

I do it maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I'd say 70%+ of people who drink in my local (and it's a busy local) drive home all the time if only having a few, particularly if it's late afternoon or early evening.

There has plenty of chances for plenty of people to have impromptu pints. But even two or three can leave some people impaired, and more than likely to put them over the current legal limit. Just two pints is all it takes for some people to feel their effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I really can't get over how many posters are justifying/defending drink driving.

This after all the graphic ads, the stats and reports, and the social shift to a point where it's generally considered to be unacceptable.

The Drunken Irish stereotype is still rooted in reality it seems. All because some people would rather put themselves and others at risk than plan ahead or just not drink that night.

Unbelievable stuff on this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Just out of interest what is the name of your local?:rolleyes:

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what is the name of your local?:rolleyes:

I forget the names and locations of all the pubs around me.....:pac:

The rough figures I gave about would be fairly similar for most country pubs I've had any exposure to.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Get Real

Whether or not some people are "grand" to drive on three pints after a quick hour or so, thats over the limit.

If you disregard the political correctness of it, the fact that maybe some people could do it fine etc, the fact remains that you're over the limit (which is incredibly low these days)

-and we could debate the low level of the limit threshold all day-

but the fact is, even if you were driving grand and you were better than some drivers who have no alcohol in the system, if you run into a random checkpoint/ an accident happens unrelated to alcohol, you will be breathalysed and fail.

You'll get points, if you crashed and it genuinely wasn't your fault, you'll still look like the bad one because you'd have failed the breath test.

So if all the variable factors went swimmingly well, you were driving fine, and you just happened to be unlucky, why take the risk in that sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Anyone who does this is a fool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Never have, never will. And I would not ever get into the car with anyone I know or suspect might have had a drink.

A friend of mine ended up killing himself and his best mate after 3 pints some years ago, driving home and ending up under a truck, and I've got a few nurses in my extended family who are never short of A&E stories. It's absolutely absurd to try and defend such behaviour.
    It's ok for you to take a risk with your own life, but if we're talking drink driving you risk hurting and killing others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

You are joking .

No if you took that stuff you would still be able to drive after 10 pints.

The government should allow people to drink and drive if they have took BZP (or a similar drug) with their drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzylpiperazine

Jumboman wrote: »

The government should allow people to drink and drive if they have took BZP (or a similar drug) with their drink.

From that very link :
    Adverse effects have been reported following its use including acute psychosis, renal toxicity and seizures.

The major side effects include dilated pupils, blurred vision, dryness of the mouth, extreme alertness, pruritus, confusion, agitation, tremor, extrapyramidal symptoms (dystonia, akathisia), headache, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, vomiting, chest pain, hallucinations, paresthesia, tachycardia, hypertension, palpitations, collapse, hyperventilation, sweating, hyperthermia and problems with urine retention.[4][24][26][27][28] The more severe toxic effects include psychosis or adverse psychiatric events,[29][30] renal toxicity,[17] respiratory failure,[4] hyperthermia,[4] serotonin syndrome,[4] rhabdomyolysis[31] and seizure

Not sure if that would really enhance driving abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Jumboman wrote: »

Alertness is not all that is required to drive. You also need focus and concentration as well as fast reactions, things you may not have under the euphoric effects of BZP. I don't see any mention of alcohol on that wiki page other than linking it with a higher fatality rate of users of the drug.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Never have, never will. And I would not ever get into the car with anyone I know or suspect might have had a drink.

A friend of mine ended up killing himself and his best mate after 3 pints some years ago, driving home and ending up under a truck, and I've got a few nurses in my extended family who are never short of A&E stories. It's absolutely absurd to try and defend such behaviour.
    It's ok for you to take a risk with your own life, but if we're talking drink driving you risk hurting and killing others.

Was it proven that the accident was caused by drink?

Was it proven that the accident was caused by drink?

Yes.

Witness account from a 3rd friend who had been in the backseat and survived confirmed that he was drunk and not in control of the car.

He took a corner too wide, went over the middle line and hit a truck that came the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's not, lots of people still feel the effects from alcohol, dehydration, lack of sleep after a night out.

Two or three pints in an hour would definitely adversely affect your ability o drive. Why is getting a taxi not going to happen?
    UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm not defending trying to defend drink driving, I'm trying to attack everything else that is equally as dangerous. I find it incredibly hypocritical that we single out one thing, but not these others.

It's easy enough to condemn the 45 year-old man who has 2-3 pints over a few hours and drives home with a BAC of .03 as a horrible man who wants to kill himself and everyone else. But what about the Mum of four driving to the dance recital for her daughter? She's got crying children in the back, a lack of sleep, and is running late, she's in no condition for optimal driving, but we give her a free pass.

And the 55 year-old man who has the same reaction time as the 45 year old does after he's had 4 pints, we still let him drive. But he's impaired. He's *sober* but he's impaired.

In all of these other cases we say, 'Well, sure, it's not perfect, but people have to get on with their lives. Can't expect someone to sleep at the office just because they'd have a long and stressful day'. But studies have shown a *lot* of things are 'just as dangerous' as drink driving.

Texting is SIX TIMES more dangerous (http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/files/Driving-while-Texting-Six-Times-More-Dangerous-than-Driving-while-Drunk.html#.U519DPldVIo)
    Talking on a cell phone is as dangerous (http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/DrivingIssues/20060830105036.html#.U519DPldVIo)
    Being tired (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/drowsy-driving-dangerous-drunk-sleepy_n_1557200.html)
    Being 'distracted' (http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/54346/car_accidents/distracted_driving_worse_than_drunk_driving.html)
    Being 'emotional'
    (http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/driving-and-emotions.php)
    Being 'old'
    (http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/older_adult_drivers/adult-drivers_factsheet.html)

It's just hard for me to view one thing as worse than another, if they're both equally dangerous. But our society doesn't seem to agree.

Such a low fine for texting is ludicrous. But with regard to the other factors, there's not much action to be taken against them. And unlike drinking, you don't choose to get older or be emotional, and often aren't aware of their adverse effects. Drink driving involves willfully impairing your ability to drive.
    I enjoy a pint or two then riding home after work.

I also enjoy a few after training, two max then its a chipper and a few cans for the gaff :D

Does this affect your riding?
    I'd drive after 2 or 3 pints every now and then. Mostly if we stop in for a few in one of the locals on the way back from a match etc early in the evening (wouldn't risk it late at night due to increased risk of bagging).

Some major exaggeration on the effects of small amounts of drink on this thread..I wouldn't drive after a sip etc and people saying anyone who looks at a drink and drives should jump into a bath with a toaster :rolleyes:

Most of the auld lads who drink in my local drop into town everyday for milk and the paper and have their two or three pints before driving home. They all arrive and leave at different times and need their car with them for other things. Totally impractical for these to get taxis as is being suggested by the city slickers on this thread that have no idea about rural living.

Don't you even entertain the notion that they could simply not drink? Doesn't it concern you that you privilege what you see as their entitlement to drink over the potential damage they could cause?
    And it's mad fucckin craic. I would never drink and drive, but regularly cycle home hammered. Absolutely no comparison in terms of danger.

It's still very dangerous though. You could fall in front of a car, killing yourself, or forcing a car to swerve to avoid you and get into a collision.
    You could also seriously injure a pedestrian.
    It's still a very stupid thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Maphisto wrote: »
    Any death is a haunting experience. I'd suggest that the death is what haunts your friend rather than the drink driving aspect. If you were the first to come across a suicide victim - I think that image would stay with you - Scum?

Not far from here but years ago a fella over turned his tractor and trapped his leg. The Doctor amputated it there. Now I didn't see much but I can still see that image (20+ years ago).

Its not a fact just because you say so. Its opinion.

You shouldn't have electrical sockets in a bathroom.

It's my opinion you should try reading my post instead of trying to be clever

scum
    noun
    1. a film or layer of foul or extraneous matter that forms on the surface of a liquid.
    2. refuse or offscourings.
    3. a low, worthless, or evil person.
    4. such persons collectively; riffraff; dregs.
    5. scoria ( def 1 ) .

Two or three pints in an hour would definitely adversely affect your ability o drive. Why is getting a taxi not going to happen?

I don't know how to put my point across as the idea of getting a taxi in this situation would be just unthinkable. There would be two cars of us pulling in for an hour or an hour and a half, we all what the cars at home, it would be early evening so no taxis would be operating within 15 miles. If one would even come out (and we would need two most likely) it would take too long and cost an absolute fortune all to get us three or four miles home on a quiet country road with very little drink taken (two or three pints is a very small amount of drink).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't know how to put my point across as the idea of getting a taxi in this situation would be just unthinkable. There would be two cars of us pulling in for an hour or an hour and a half, we all what the cars at home, it would be early evening so no taxis would be operating within 15 miles. If one would even come out (and we would need two most likely) it would take too long and cost an absolute fortune all to get us three or four miles home on a quiet country road with very little drink taken (two or three pints is a very small amount of drink).
    It's not unthinkable, you just decide you'd prefer to drink and drive.

You could do one of the following:

not drink
    use taxis
    designated driver
    drink and drive

Don't pretend there aren't better options you choose not to avail of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"A very small amount of drink" is relative. It's not a small amount when you're behind the wheel of a car. It will affect your judgement and reaction speeds. People are also affected to different degrees, so I'd be astounded if none of you or your pals were in any way affected by your drinks.

What really amazes me is that taxis are not an option for you, but it never seems to occur to you to rule out drinking (or having a designated driver, or pre-arranging a taxi [couldn't be a fortune if you all chip in]). If these people are your friends, can you not spend some time with them without drinking? Do you have to take such chances with other people's lives just to get your fix of alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The other angle is you are leaving yourself wide open to being "set-up"

Someone who fancies a new car could easily keep an eye on you and lock-up in front of you on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Ah come on, it's not a very small amount. Maybe if you would normally have 10 pints then yes, you are still at the lower end of the scale, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of drink. It just means that you drink a lot of drink. It reminds me of that brilliant line in the Inbetweeners; 'A pint is quite a lot isn't it? You wouldn't drink a pint of squash.' The fact that so many people in this country view 1 pint as 1 unit of alcohol is part of the problem.
    If you drank three pints of water (in just an hour/hour and a half) you wouldn't be thirsty, after three pints of beer you won't be sober. Regardless of what you think when you're after your three pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

Apologies if this has been covered before. I did search but could not find it.

Where a person holds, say a C and D class licence, and they are stopped driving a car (B class) does the lower limit apply. What I'm trying to find out is does the lower limit apply to the licence you hold or the vehicle you are driving at the time? I read somewhere that the lower limit applies to professional drivers, which to me would mean people paid to drive trucks/buses, taxis, etc for a living.

And no, I haven't been breathalysed, I'm trying to clear up an issue that arose in the pub the other night. Where else?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Feed Up wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered before. I did search but could not find it.

Where a person holds, say a C and D class licence, and they are stopped driving a car (B class) does the lower limit apply. What I'm trying to find out is does the lower limit apply to the licence you hold or the vehicle you are driving at the time? I read somewhere that the lower limit applies to professional drivers, which to me would mean people paid to drive trucks/buses, taxis, etc for a living.

And no, I haven't been breathalysed, I'm trying to clear up an issue that arose in the pub the other night. Where else?

Thanks.

The lower alcohol limits applying to new drivers also apply to drivers of buses, lorries, trailers, work vehicles, taxis and other public service vehicle drivers.
    so if you're on the job, you're on the lower limit, off the job, normal limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Hmm...at home, never ever.

Now that I am out foreign it's kind of a thing that happens frequently here. Almost everyone I know with a car will go out for dinner, drink wine and eat lots then drive home. It's extremely common place. Have done so myself, not proud of it but it's so commonplace it's frightening. Even Sunday afternoons here, people generally meet at the family home, some outside of the city. They'll drink a rake of wine and eat a mountain of food and drive home tired and half cut. It's awful really.

There are some checkpoints, but I've noticed the police only stop kids and kids driving less expensive cars. We have a reasonable car with blacked out windows via the wife's job and have never been stopped to be breathylised. The joke of it is I have been fined for driving with the lights off during the day outside the city, which is an offence.

And yes. Road deaths here are much higher than Europe but not particularly high in a regional context (South America), it does kill people every weekend.

We live in the city, so when we're out with friends we do have the option of taking a taxi. It's something I noticed myself doing recently and only last month was saying to the wife that we weren't doing it anymore. It's mineral water with the dinner or a cab home.

Peer pressure, adverts and awareness campaigns do have an impact. Certainly I would never drink and drive in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I actually drive better drunk.

Less self conscious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Less self conscious
    You sir are a *insert expletive here*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Less self conscious
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    You sir are a *insert expletive here*

Judging by his user name, I'd say he's cranking your tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Some people aren't bright enough to pick up on subtle humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

The most I'd say would be a small glass of wine with a meal. It's not fear of being a dangerous driver (I wouldn't even countenance driving after enough drink to cause that) just fear of being stopped by the guards and being over the limit. Even if just slightly so, over the limit is over the limit.

Advertisement