Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Legalizing Marijuana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

desultory wrote: »
    Ah lads seriously? I resent that statement. I WAS BEING FUNNY.
    Relax, put your feet up, have a toke & chill bro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭disj

Should have copped that what you said was so ridiculous it was fake!!! Must be all the heroin messing with my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

disj wrote: »
    "Here's the thing, Marijuana is a gateway drug. When you smoke it, what's the first thing that comes to mind? No no, it's not how much you want to be sitting there playing fifa and eating pizza, it's going to be "Man, I should try heroin"

That's one of the most laughable statements ever. Not one person I know who has smoked weed thinks, 'Imma get me some of that sweet sweet heroin!!'

Anyone I know who smokes it is anti most other drugs because they know most other drugs are a totally different story, can see how they damage lives and know that they are not as pure. That is such a crazy view point, I'm all for having a discussion about something but I think things said need to have some sense or fact behind them.

Do you drink the odd pint? Surely that's a gateway to harder drinks like spirits thus making you turn into an alcoholic. Each person is different and a blanket statement like that is unnecessary.

Do don't realise there's a quote button for each post, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Relax, put your feet up, have a toke & chill bro ;)

Don't mind if I do :D
    disj wrote: »
    Should have copped that what you said was so ridiculous it was fake!!! Must be all the heroin messing with my head

In fairness the first time I tried weed was after a night on much harder drugs. The gateway drug argument is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard and only holds ANY kind of merit because of the drug being illegal in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

.. I WAS BEING FUNNY.

That's debatable.

• Advertisement

When I use the quote function it says I can't post links yet as I'm too new.... So I copied and pasted and felt quite the fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The prohibition farce is coming to an end. A number of states in the US have legalised marijuana and the sky hasn't fallen like conservitards would have you believe. When it becomes legal in all of the US the rest of the world will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

catallus wrote: »
    That makes about as much sense as saying you don't "get high" off marijuana.

It doesn't make sense in your mind because you don't understand anything about marijuana.

If you smoke indica, it can make you tired, but when that wears off, you actually feel more energetic.

I've gotten paranoid panic attacks when I first started smoking hash if I'd smoke too much, but when that wears off after an hour or so, I would feel much better.

There simply is no come down from cannabis. I've never had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

this has been done to death but sure have a go again.

I hope that once Ireland sees the actual benefits of the legalisation in merica they will cop on but I fear they may be very slow off the mark. See, if our politicians were forward thinking they would start jumping on the bandwagon now, start implementing the legalization now, even if just for medical purposes. If they would open their eyes now and see the financial benefits among others they would start now and for once be seen as forward thinking. But we live in a country where despite the harm it actually does, abortion isn't even legal despite it being legal everywhere else so I fear our government will never trust the people of this country to have their own free will and would rather see honest folk arrested for something so insignificant.
    I mean a report today, a 60 something year old man arrested for growing. A man in his 60's arrested for growing a plant.....

• Advertisement

Oh and no stoner wants to see their money benefit gangs or crimes, they just have no choice because if a normal citizen decides to grow and sell they are criminals according to this state so while the guards crack down on the decent people, the gangs continue to be financed.

That's debatable.

Ah stop, I'm sorry for making you out to be absolutely ridiculous and never having any kind of a decent argument.

What's ridiculous is people saying that cannabis is a harmless drug. Its ridiculous to say that it has no downsides. Its ridiculous to promote it as a good thing for people with depression (as has been said in-thread), it is ridiculous to say "There is no come down, you get high hour later your no longer high but it puts you back to straight line." or " your "endo canabaniod" system actually creates "canabinoids" in everyone's system so weather or not you smoke it you enjoy the effects of it." It is ridiculous to say "If you smoke indica, it can make you tired, but when that wears off, you actually feel more energetic." and "There simply is no come down from cannabis."

What is it with drug-users that they want to drag everyone else into their malaise?

Personally, I couldn't care less what people want to do drugwise, if you want to dope yourself up to the eyeballs with whatever you're having yourself, but the idea of making it legal and freely available is just dumb. The damage caused by alcohol would, one thinks, give a good indicator of what an intoxicant can do if it is freely available, and that legality is, perversely, given as a reason why we should **** up society more!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Father Bigley

The current policy of prohibition is not based on sound logic, evidence or reason.

I suspect that in 50 years time when cannabis is inevitably decriminalised in developed societies, they will look back and find the present situation quite bizarre.

What's ridiculous is people saying that cannabis is a harmless drug. Its ridiculous to say that it has no downsides. Its ridiculous to promote it as a good thing for people with depression (as has been said in-thread), it is ridiculous to say "There is no come down, you get high hour later your no longer high but it puts you back to straight line." or " your "endo canabaniod" system actually creates "canabinoids" in everyone's system so weather or not you smoke it you enjoy the effects of it." It is ridiculous to say "If you smoke indica, it can make you tired, but when that wears off, you actually feel more energetic." and "There simply is no come down from cannabis."

What is it with drug-users that they want to drag everyone else into their malaise?

Personally, I couldn't care less what people want to do drugwise, if you want to dope yourself up to the eyeballs with whatever you're having yourself, but the idea of making it legal and freely available is just dumb. The damage caused by alcohol would, one thinks, give a good indicator of what an intoxicant can do if it is freely available, and that legality is, perversely, given as a reason why we should **** up society more!?

Cannabis and Alcohol are extremely different drugs. Cannabis isn't addictive and doesn't cause death are two of the most obvious reasons.

but carry on with your anti drug tirade, it's good having people like you against it. It makes the campaign for legalising it much stronger.

Cannabis and Alcohol are extremely different drugs. Cannabis isn't addictive and doesn't cause death are two of the most obvious reasons.

but carry on with your anti drug tirade, it's good having people like you against it. It makes the campaign for legalising it much stronger.

"people like me"? What do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

This is what the propaganda they churn out in junior cert SPHE classes does to people. The occasional smoke, like the occasional drink, is not going to harm anyone.

People that make silly arguments and claims about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its been completely legal for over a year here in Washington State, and the first shops are due to open next week.

The delay has been due to the fact that the shops can only sell weed that has been grown under license in Washington state. Thus cutting the criminals out of the loop.

So on Monday the retail licenses will be active and the shops can open on Tuesday morning. Its looks like there will be major shortages for awhile but it should stabilize pretty quickly as the major producers come online.

Interesting times.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023970923_potlicense2xml.html

Ye crazy yanks, smokin' the ganja. :)

• Advertisement

Ye crazy yanks, smokin' the ganja. :)

Yup.

Time for common sense to quash the hysteria and myths.

Apparently Colorado (the only other state to legalize it) is bringing in over $20million a month in extra taxes.

In addition to the fact that over 50% of drug crimes were pot related and so there's massive savings in Law enforcement and court costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Legalize it already FFS

We're all adults & should be able to decide, as adults, whether or not we wish to partake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Grayson wrote: »
    That's where I lost interest. If you're going to read badly regurgitated trash, read the daily mail. At least you might see a boob.

Don't you mean The Sun? Even that's a bit of a stretch..

The damage caused by alcohol would, one thinks, give a good indicator of what an intoxicant can do if it is freely available, and that legality is, perversely, given as a reason why we should **** up society more!?

:confused:

Um. Given alcohol kills over 50,000 people a year in the USA and pot hasnt killed anyone dont you think a safe alternative might be of some use?

You're equating the two and its just not accurate.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It should be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Hes a racist.

I knew it! Explains a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Lemonade is a gateway to shandy

Shandy is a gateway to beer

Beer is a gateway to whisky

Ban evil lemonade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Your point of view seems to be blind to the after-effects of this insidious drug.

There's nothing nicer, from the pov of a barman or even the government, than a stoned person; they are mellow and malleable, all is good with the world; until the problem of coming down arises. This is when the paranoiac violence and rage comes out.

The inner illumination offered by drugs is enticing. But it is a false light.

Talking out your ass..:o

• Advertisement

Talking out your ass..:o

Indeed. You're an expert on that, I suppose?

Or are you just another sheep who hears the call of the cool brigade and says "Oh yeah, let's all legalise this, "'cos we got to like stick it to the man!"

Advertisement