Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Legalizing Marijuana

Options
  • 14-06-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I've been on Thejournal.ie and constantly see posts on this topic and comments on the topic everytime there is another raid and people arrested.
    I mean, seriously?! Why is it illegal? What benefit is it being illegal? Tax payer's money goes into those raids and surely that money would be better spend umm I dunno maybe buying a few hospital beds or cracking down on real issues like the use or heroin etc??
    And surely legalizing would see gangs losing out??
    And then there is the money the country would make off tax alone...Insane amounts look at American states... And the jobs creation? Plus if Ireland was quick off the mark, tourism would be huge!!
    Food sales would go up too!!!

I mean obviously if legalized there would have to be rules, a minimum sale amount, can't smoke and drive, can't just smoke it out on the street....

It just baffles my mind that something grown is illegal, what's next make tomatoes illegal?

I worked in a bar and saw all sorts, I've seen the nicest people turn into disgusting animals with drinks, I've seen two guys beat up someone with a stool over drink, I've seen people coked up terrify me and people of ecstasy freaking me out. And I've seen stoners come in, for a chat usually or just to listen to some music or whatever. And what did they do? Made me laugh, bought bottles of Coke or had Rock Shandy, eat crisps and almost every stoner-male or female would always wait until the end of the night if there was no security. They would wait as I cleaned, wait outside as I finished locking up, would walk me home at 2, 3,4 in the morning. They would even help me clean if I was alone. They never came by at the end of the night and tried kick the door in -happened, they never smashed glasses, threw flaming pieces of paper behind the bar-happened, never broke chairs, never started fighting....

So from my POV legalize it and stop criminalizing decent people who do feck all wrong. Oh P.S any of these stoners who came into the pub were either in college (student bar), or worked full time jobs and came in at the weekend. Almost none of them drank and those that did would have maybe one or two for the entire night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Welcome to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

disj wrote: »
    I've been on Thejournal.ie

That's where I lost interest. If you're going to read badly regurgitated trash, read the daily mail. At least you might see a boob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Hang on we need to check the rota, I thought it was an abortion thread up next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No, should be knackers with no tops walking around at the first sight of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yeah maaaaaaaaan. It's like *inhales* a conspiracy maaaaaan. The suits in Washington are keeping us down maaaaaaaaaaan.

Pass the Doritos maaaaaaaaan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Christ.

Please use search bar on top of screen. Then read.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭disj

haha look im not a fan of the journal, I just have the app!! I know the writing is shocking and all they do it go onto the likes of tmz and it's a bit ctrl+c ctrl+v

I mostly go on and glance at the comments to see what people's opinions seem to be as I find that interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It just baffles my mind that something grown is illegal, what's next make tomatoes illegal?

[...]

Tax payer's [..]would be better spend [...] on real issues like the use or heroin etc??
    But heroin is grown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Collectively this country is too narrow minded and backward to legalise.
    You know the mentality... 'sure all the young babys will be addicted from birth and be taking heroin by the age of ten Joe. It's disgraceful Joe, wouldn't have it in my day Joe.
    So instead we fund the illigal drugs trade and criminal gangs (image of thug cleaning prints of a gun with a fake jersey) and give the coppers something to do. It's pointless to even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

decriminalization for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Been around the world twice. Talked to everyone once. Seen two whales ****, been to three world fairs. And I met an old man in Thailand with a wooden cock. Pushed more peeter, more sweeter and more completer than any other peter pusher around. I'm a hard bodied, hairy chested, rootin' tootin' shootin', parachutin' demolition double cap crimpin' frogman. There ain't nothin' I can't do. No sky too high, no sea too rough, no muff too tough. Been a lot of lessons in my life. Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet. Drove all kinds of trucks. 2by's, 4by's , 6by's and those big mother ****ers that go 'Shhh Shhh' and bend in the middle. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards. I'm a lover, I'm a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. I'll wine, dine, intertwine, and sneak out the back door when the refueling is done. So if you're feeling froggy, then you better jump, because this frogman's been there, done that and is going back for more. Cheers boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I've [..]

So from my POV .....

Your point of view seems to be blind to the after-effects of this insidious drug.

There's nothing nicer, from the pov of a barman or even the government, than a stoned person; they are mellow and malleable, all is good with the world; until the problem of coming down arises. This is when the paranoiac violence and rage comes out.

The inner illumination offered by drugs is enticing. But it is a false light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Legalize all drugs I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

catallus wrote: »
    Your point of view seems to be blind to the after-effects of this insidious drug.

There's nothing nicer, from the pov of a barman or even the government, than a stoned person; they are mellow and malleable, all is good with the world; until the problem of coming down arises. This is when the paranoiac violence and rage comes out.

You don't "come down" of marijuana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Decriminalize at the least

Don't see why the average working, law abiding stiff who enjoys a toke on occasion, should be deemed criminal if found to be in possession of a bit of herb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Zed Bank wrote: »
    You don't "come down" of marijuana?

That makes about as much sense as saying you don't "get high" off marijuana.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I mistakenly thought we were due a dole/SW thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Right. But the "come-down" isn't particularly uncomfortable or have any adverse short term effects. In my experience people generally just fall asleep (and wake up without a hangover, unlike alcohol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

See I never claimed I was smart......
    Fair enough but surely weed or using it doesn't have any of the same effects as using heroin? Surely there is not the same physical and mental addiction? Plus people don't use dirty needles or even clean ones to get it into their blood stream?? Look at no point am I going to claim I am a genius when it comes to all this but I was just wondering what the general consensus is on this issue that seems relatively valid right now.

• Advertisement

"Originally Posted by catallus View Post

The inner illumination offered by drugs is enticing. But it is a false light."

I have lived with stoners and I have lived with people who did other drugs. There is no come down for stoners. They have a smoke, it wears off after awhile, they have another or they don't. I've never seen stoners getting all depressed or really paranoid. The guys I lived with would have a smoke, either do stuff if they had stuff to do or watch a movie or something. If they ran out and had no cash, they didn't really care beyond, Well that's crap.

I lived with a dude I didn't realize used E and his come down was not so nice, he was a bit messed up anyway but he would get so low afterwards, for ages.... I'm sure his underlying issues were a factor but the drugs didn't help.

I also have a friend who suffers depression and uses it and while I know that is a cagey topic as often it can make things worse, as can drinking, it really helped her. She hasn't been smoking long but after anti depressants didn't work for her she was at her wits end, she started smoking and only does it the odd evening but I have never seen a girl just become so much happier in life. She smiles more, she has started finding the motivation to do things like get on the road to having a career etc her relationships with people have all improved so... the idea of a 'come down' boggles my mind. It's mind bottling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Here's the thing, Marijuana is a gateway drug. When you smoke it, what's the first thing that comes to mind? No no, it's not how much you want to be sitting there playing fifa and eating pizza, it's going to be "Man, I should try heroin"

What? Paranoiac violence? From a stoner??
    You sir, are indeed talking the finest grade of shyte. Next you'll be saying the halusanations from smoking lead to people jumping off sky scrapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

There is no come down, you get high hour later your no longer high but it puts you back to straight line.
    Also your endo canabaniod system actually creates canabinoids in everyones system so weather or not you smoke it you enjoy the effects of it.

you havent a clue what your talking about.

desultory wrote: »
    Here's the thing, Marijuana is a gateway drug. When you smoke it, what's the first thing that comes to mind? No no, it's not how much you want to be sitting there playing fifa and eating pizza, it's going to be "Man, I should try heroin"

Pfftt, everyone knows your first spliff makes you addicted to meth. Heroin is for wimps. Methamphetamine FTW!!!

"Here's the thing, Marijuana is a gateway drug. When you smoke it, what's the first thing that comes to mind? No no, it's not how much you want to be sitting there playing fifa and eating pizza, it's going to be "Man, I should try heroin"

That's one of the most laughable statements ever. Not one person I know who has smoked weed thinks, 'Imma get me some of that sweet sweet heroin!!'

Anyone I know who smokes it is anti most other drugs because they know most other drugs are a totally different story, can see how they damage lives and know that they are not as pure. That is such a crazy view point, I'm all for having a discussion about something but I think things said need to have some sense or fact behind them.

Do you drink the odd pint? Surely that's a gateway to harder drinks like spirits thus making you turn into an alcoholic. Each person is different and a blanket statement like that is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think he was trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

desultory wrote: »

You are joking , aren't you ?

oh if it was joke cool beans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Ah lads seriously? I resent that statement. I WAS BEING FUNNY.

Advertisement