Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup chat thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

Piliger wrote: »
    My 13th WC on TV. One of the poorest quality. So few exceptional players. Messi grossly over rated. Brazil's cock o' the walk met the fate it deserved. Germany were very lethargic in the final,but conserved their energy brilliantly. Athleticism has now blanketed the game and there is no sign of a true great anywhere.

Agree 100%. The quality of basic play was awful at times. 1970 was the best IMHO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OldRio wrote: »
    Agree 100%. The quality of basic play was awful at times. 1970 was the best IMHO.

What was the coverage like in 1970? Was it widely available to watch here?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

We only see the highlight reels from 1970, if those matches were subjected to the same scrutiny of today quite a few reputations would take a battering.

How anyone can say the WC wasn't fantastic is beyond me. Expectations were for a lot of weaker teams to park the bus, but everyone was going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What was the coverage like in 1970? Was it widely available to watch here?

Yes. Used to go to Howth to watch games in colour in the hotel lounge. It wasn't just Brazil who were magnificent. England were terrific and should have gone all the way. Italy were also brilliant with Rivera, Riva and Germany had Muller and Beckenbauer. Lots of great players and great games ... wow .... what a world cup it was !!
    Even 1966 was an excellent world cup. The refereeing was shocking of course. Pele was kicked out of it and the Argies were just a bunch of street thugs. But Portugal were terrific and the games were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

Henry9 wrote: »
    We only see the highlight reels from 1970, if those matches were subjected to the same scrutiny of today quite a few reputations would take a battering.

How anyone can say the WC wasn't fantastic is beyond me. Expectations were for a lot of weaker teams to park the bus, but everyone was going for it.

So you only watched the highlights of the 1970 World Cup and yet came to that conclusion. Odd. I watched many a game live but obviously your 'guess' at what it might have been like is more valid. Thanks for that.

'Fantastic' ? All about opinions (based on what you actually saw) but my definition of fantastic is very different to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Henry9 wrote: »
    We only see the highlight reels from 1970,
    When you say 'we' I can see that you mean "I". I on the other hand watched it live.
    if those matches were subjected to the same scrutiny of today quite a few reputations would take a battering.
    So you say. But you have no evidence of that whatsoever.
    How anyone can say the WC wasn't fantastic is beyond me.
    I think we have already established that.
    Expectations were for a lot of weaker teams to park the bus, but everyone was going for it.
    They were better teams and many of the greatest players that ever played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

So you only watched the highlights of the 1970 World Cup and yet came to that conclusion. Odd. I watched many a game live but obviously your 'guess' at what it might have been like is more valid. Thanks for that.

'Fantastic' ? All about opinions (based on what you actually saw) but my definition of fantastic is very different to yours.
    Eh? Who said it was 'more valid'?? Who said I only watched the highlights??
    No need to get so defensive because someone disagrees with you.
    Besides, when was the last time you watch the full 90 minutes of those games, recently was it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pull your horns in gents. It is a friendly chat about the World Cup:)

Advertisement