Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup chat thread

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:09am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Game 1 Brazil Croatia.
    Definitely a couple of hometown decisions. I was glad Neymar wasn't sent off at the time even though by the rules he probably should have been as I think too many matches in the previous world cup were ruined by soft red cards.
    But that penalty decision was criminal. Croatia were hard done by.

Really looking forward to Spain Holland tomorrow. Has to be a Spain win, doesn't it? Actually I reckon they would both settle for a draw as both will be hoping to come out of that group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

it's stuff like that penalty decision that make me hate soccer sometimes

then Fred celebrates like he has achieved something other than cheating to gain an advantage

predicted score right in competition in work but would have prefered game not to be decided by home town decision

if that was in opposite box no way it gets called

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I agree, Croatia really hard done by. Referee was very poor. Disallowed goal for Croatia also a bad decision.

I wonder did the authorities want Brazil to win at all cost to calm the Brazilians? It may help lesson riots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

When he got the decision he looked up to heaven thanking God. He should have been struck down with a plague or something. Not sure what God would look kindly on that kind of carry on.

If it was Modric who elbowed Neymar he would have walked too.

At least we have a basis point now. A team needs to really beat Brazil to get past them. It happens every time. I recall US getting alot of decisions in 94 and Japan getting them in 02. Brazil are gonna need the decisions to go their way unless they improve alot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    When he got the decision he looked up to heaven thanking God.
    It takes a special kind of cretin to think god has an interest in a football match.

Well, it took less than 90 minutes for my WC enthusiasm to evaporate. Thought I was in a similar mind to what John Oliver talked about the other day, but nope. I just can't see anything other than a FIFA farce now. **** off FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

I thought Neymar and Oscar played brilliantly but wasn't impressed with Brazil at all. Croatia were robbed. I don't see why when it comes to big decisions they can't have officials watch the replay, your man Fred basically cheated to turn the game around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

An overriding sense of annoyance is what I've come away from that game with. Some shocking decisions, punctuated by horrific goalkeeping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I had a few lovely beers watching a game I enjoy between two teams I've nothing invested in

good times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It takes a special kind of cretin to think god has an interest in a football match.
    Different sport, same point

310689.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I agree, Croatia really hard done by. Referee was very poor. Disallowed goal for Croatia also a bad decision.

I wonder did the authorities want Brazil to win at all cost to calm the Brazilians? It may help lesson riots.

This. Did anyone think that with the situation in Brazil and anti world cup feeling, that anything other than a Brazil victory in the first game was going to happen?

If Brazil were knocked out early on (I know, not going to happen) could you imagine the rioting that would go on? It wouldn't look good for the Brazilian Government or FIFA.

Amazing header by Van Persie :)

• Advertisement

great header alright

Spain penalty soft. Dutch defender foolish for going to ground but reckon contact was made by Costa

you would expect spain to still win from here

Yeah, soft penno alright. Another bad decision. Spain could win it but I would have thought both teams would be happy with a draw.

Didn't see the match but I believe the refereeing in the Mexico v Cameroon match was even worse than last night?

was in gym for that one

you would have got some money on 4-1 holland

3rd goal should have been free out

Spanish defence is awful. Unbelievable scoreline! Strange decision taking Alonso off imo. If Torres is the solution to scoring Spain are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Yea well as an Aussie, the 'Socceroo' is not a real animal any more than soccer is a real sport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Fairly looking forward to today's games.
    I'm all out Uruguay me!

Surprising result last night. I thought England would do Italy.

So far so good, no draws to date and plenty of goals in most of the matches,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Switzerland v Ecuador definitely the poorest match so far. Hopefully the France and Argentina games later will make up for it.

The real question is, do I want Dominos? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Oh bhiys - Germany vs. Portugal @ 4pm

Super finish to work

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is it not starting at 5pm, D'Agger?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tis 5pm aye

ah well....30mins instead, how bad! :)

Pepe is an absolute clown. Portugal are short enough on quality without him being a moron. I think that is the ned of them tbh Ronaldo can't do it on his own.

really looking forward to seeing Belgium today. They have a nice starting game that I would be expecting them to win which should settle them into the competition nicely. They could go along way

Pepe is an absolute clown. Portugal are short enough on quality without him being a moron. I think that is the ned of them tbh Ronaldo can't do it on his own.

really looking forward to seeing Belgium today. They have a nice starting game that I would be expecting them to win which should settle them into the competition nicely. They could go along way
    Belgium have such a good squad, can't wait to see Hazard, Lukaku, Vertongen etc

Feel bad for Ronaldo tbh, he's going nowhere in a team where Hugo Almeida starts up front and Mr.Discipline himself at the back. They were awful yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone watch the USA game? I have to say I enjoyed it big time.

Panthro wrote: »
    Anyone watch the USA game? I have to say I enjoyed it big time.
    Watched the first half but had to head to bed at that stage I was barely awake!

Good game from what I saw - thought Ghana were poor - couldn't work anything through the middle so kept crossing it in to no effect. USA had some lovely passages of play though I have to say!

Was the Belgium match any good???

grumble grumble bloody visitors coming around at 5 when there is football on have no consideration grumble rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What I saw of it wasnt great anyway man so you didnt miss much.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pepe is an absolute clown.
    Harsh :(

Advertisement