Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

So these stories I heard about savage winter training sessions in the mud and snow with fellas puking their guts up are just fairy tales. No sand dunes, no mountain sides, no forest parks.

I'm not saying they don't train hard. And getting sick in a forest park with Davey fitz driving in his car behind you doesn't mean your as fit as a pro. That kind of stuff is more for mental toughness and team bonding, so the lads have some hardship they have all been through together. I'm not saying it's not tough, I wouldn't fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That doesnt mean they are anywhere near as fit as a proper professional athlete in other field sports like soccer.

Soccer professionals are well and truly elite. Millions and millions play soccer worldwide yet there are probably less than 20,000 professionals id guess. Less than 1% of soccer players make it to be a pro, the ones that are professional are super super fit and in top physical shape. They are well and truly world class.

GAA players are so so far away from being elite (in international terms) its ridiculous. Less than 500,000 people play GAA, comparing even the very very best GAA players to a professional soccer player who has beaten off millions around the world to become a professional, is laughable.

And im a big big GAA fan by the way, im not biased in any way towards either sport, I think its just so wrong to compare a GAA player to a soccer player and try and claim that there isnt much between them.
    There would be a lot more than 20000 professional soccer players.
    Considering there is 92 football league sides in England and virtually all are professional and all will have 35-40+ pro players or so 20000 is well off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

There would be a lot more than 20000 professional soccer players.
    Considering there is 92 football league sides in England and virtually all are professional and all will have 35-40+ pro players or so 20000 is well off.

Okay edit my post to say 100,000 professional players, it makes no difference to the percentage. Its still less than 1% of soccer players that make it as a professional.

Okay edit my post to say 100,000 professional players, it makes no difference to the percentage. Its still less than 1% of soccer players that make it as a professional.
    The figure of pro soccer players would still be higher than that if you take into account all countries. Percentage will still be low considering how many play and how easy it is to play soccer

The figure of pro soccer players would still be higher than that if you take into account all countries. Percentage will still be low considering how many play and how easy it is to play soccer

It doesnt change my point at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

That doesnt mean they are anywhere near as fit as a proper professional athlete in other field sports like soccer.

Soccer professionals are well and truly elite. Millions and millions play soccer worldwide yet there are probably less than 20,000 professionals id guess. Less than 1% of soccer players make it to be a pro, the ones that are professional are super super fit and in top physical shape. They are well and truly world class.

GAA players are so so far away from being elite (in international terms) its ridiculous. Less than 500,000 people play GAA, comparing even the very very best GAA players to a professional soccer player who has beaten off millions around the world to become a professional, is laughable.

And im a big big GAA fan by the way, im not biased in any way towards either sport, I think its just so wrong to compare a GAA player to a soccer player and try and claim that there isnt much between them.

I'm reluctant to talk association football in a GAA thread but one of the biggest stars of English association football in the last decade or so is Wayne Rooney. at the same time he is regularly slagged off for his perceived lack of fitness.

in your opinion, how fit is he compared to the elite of GAA footballers?

perhaps he got where he is today by relying much more on his natural talent than pure fitness.

freddiek wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to talk association football in a GAA thread but one of the biggest stars of English association football in the last decade or so is Wayne Rooney. at the same time he is regularly slagged off for his perceived lack of fitness.

in your opinion, how fit is he compared to the elite of GAA footballers?

perhaps he got where he is today by relying much more on his natural talent than pure fitness.

Hes fitter, absolutley no doubt in my mind. Hes fit enough to play 3 ninety minute games in 7 days at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

one thing that struck me, the hurling final yesterday is slightly overshaddowed by whether 2 penalty decisions were inside or outside the box, at least thats whats people see as the big taking point.

No mention of both tackles being last man cynical rugby tackles (the second being a great example, the man wasn't taken down properly so a teammate came in to finish the job!), the likes of which "blights" football and led to the setting up of the football review committee to tackle cynical play and save the game.

But in hurling, sure a bit of a cynical tackle here or there in an all ireland final when an attacker is bearing down on goal is just part of the game!

Crazy stuff. If its considered as cynical play and ablight on the game in gaelic football to hack a lad out of it when bearing down on goals, then its the same for hurling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I disagree with your blanket assessment that because there is a slimmer chance of becoming a professional soccer player, it automatically means they are fitter and more athletic?

And one easy way I would dismiss it based on your percentage type rationale is that there are a higher percentage of Australian Rules players able to make it in comparison to soccer, but unquestionably Aussie Rules players are fitter than soccer players.

Professional soccer players may well be fitter than their GAA counterparts, but its not because it is harder to make it as a professional or based on percentage.

My own opinion is that there is not that much difference between them, in certain areas. Compare Dublins football team to some lower league professional soccer team, and I'd certainly think the Dublin team would be far fitter (whatever the definition for fit is). I certainly dont think there is miles between them.

Also, and not to distract it much further, but to say because a soccer player makes it because he is super fit and in top physical shape is very easily rebutted. There are heaps of soccer players who are overweight and unfit, but have excellent talent and skills which make up for their lack of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

I don't mean to be insulting here but your rationale is idiotic. Pro soccer players at the top level make it more for their natural soccer talent than their athleticism, as soccer is a very technical, global sport. GAA players at the elite county level are incredibly fit (if your definition of fit is say a standard bleep test or some other universal fitness measure). You can't compare soccer players and GAA players technically because they play different sports, but athletically our top GAA players match up. I have no doubt in my mind that Paul Flynn and Keith Higgins for example are as fit if not fitter than Seamus Coleman or Mesut Ozil, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

GBXI wrote: »
    I don't mean to be insulting here but your rationale is idiotic. Pro soccer players at the top level make it more for their natural soccer talent than their athleticism, as soccer is a very technical, global sport. GAA players at the elite county level are incredibly fit (if your definition of fit is say a standard bleep test or some other universal fitness measure). You can't compare soccer players and GAA players technically because they play different sports, but athletically our top GAA players match up. I have no doubt in my mind that Paul Flynn and Keith Higgins for example are as fit if not fitter than Seamus Coleman or Mesut Ozil, for example.

To achieve this level of fitness there must be a danger of losing the amateur ethos. If it can be achieved by hundreds of county players who still have to work 5 days a week then I think it loses something of the the mystique. Think of how much fitter they would be if they were doing full time training, if someone can be any fitter than incredibly fit.

But it is against the rules to participate in full time training. It is not defined but is nonetheless banned. I hope the elite whatever that means are no less amateur than their non elite counterparts when it comes to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Different types of fitness,I know a guy who regularly runs ultra marathons,I bet he would beat Ashley Cole in an Ultra Marthon.

Put the same geezer running around a soccer pitch after a football i bet Cole would be in better nick come 90 mins.

Same as Conor McGregor or Usian Bolt who is fitter?

Bolt on the track but McGregor in the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that Cillian O Connor, while a very good player, is not at the level that he is being put at and is very overrated.

he scores alot of handy tap in goal or frees, along with being a good penalty taker, but he is not at the same level as the likes of O Donoghue, Brogan, Cooper and all the other really top forwards of the last decade, despite what some Connacht people will tell you.

a young fit footballer thats markeable in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

that Cillian O Connor, while a very good player, is not at the level that he is being put at and is very overrated.

he scores alot of handy tap in goal or frees, along with being a good penalty taker, but he is not at the same level as the likes of O Donoghue, Brogan, Cooper and all the other really top forwards of the last decade, despite what some Connacht people will tell you.

O'Donoghue hasn't got a level yet. He's barely out of the womb. Give it a while yet.

And as for the easy frees and goals... Cooper's reputation is enhanced by the handy HF work he has to "struggle" through.

I agree though that COC is a good player and had a cracking couple of games against ye but he's not what I would say is a "great". A lot of Mayo people recognise that too and they are merely giving him the deserved plaudits for being pretty great v Kerry.

That's not tp say that he won't be considered a great at some stage. He will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Heres an unpopular opinion. Comparing other mens fitness is a boring subject and slightly homoerotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

iDave wrote: »
    Heres an unpopular opinion. Comparing other mens fitness is a boring subject and slightly homoerotic.

Which sport has the best looking men? With the nicest smiles? An amateur sport like hurling could never really compete with Roger Federer. And until our players can aspire to being in Gillette ads, there's just no comparison, the pros are just on another, ruggedly handsome planet altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Which sport has the best looking men? With the nicest smiles? An amateur sport like hurling could never really compete with Roger Federer. And until our players can aspire to being in Gillette ads, there's just no comparison, the pros are just on another, ruggedly handsome planet altogether.

A Paul Flynn/Anna Geary breeding campaign may be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

At 22 - 2 x YPOTY - 4 x Connacht titles - Played in 2 AI Finals

I think he will get better and better and become one of the Mayo all time greats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

keane2097 wrote: »
    A Paul Flynn/Anna Geary breeding campaign may be in order.

I dunno, a simple administrative mistake could lead to disaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Another poster has listed his achievements to date.

I'll add to that that he was very much injured throughout 2013.

Seeing him live this season he really has come on, makes a lot of space, set us up a lot of scores etc.

IMO his football brain has really developed this season.

Only time will tell if he will be as good as the ones you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Another poster has listed his achievements to date.

I'll add to that that he was very much injured throughout 2013.

Seeing him live this season he really has come on, makes a lot of space, set us up a lot of scores etc.

IMO his football brain has really developed this season.

Only time will tell if he will be as good as the ones you mentioned.

He also falls over very easy and is very adapt at tricking referees.
    Plus, most scores come from frees or penalties
    Let's get all the facts out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    He also falls over very easy and is very adapt at tricking referees.
    Plus, most scores come from frees or penalties
    Let's get all the facts out

I'm not arguing that he scores more from placed balls than play.

Teams would give their left arm for a guy that is so consistent.

But from watching him in the flesh he adds far more to the game than just his free taking, and this season I have seen a big improvement in his 'non free taking' contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

O'Connor suffers from not having a particular aesthetic style. He's ridiculously effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

O'Connor is a top class footballer and a shoe in for an All Star this year with O'Donaghue and rightly so.

O'Connor finds space so effortlessly, can slip his man so easily, he tackles hard even as a corner forward (just ask Aidan O'Shea), is very accurate from play.

All of this without being blessed with O'Donaghue's pace, or Murphy's big build.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

I think people forget he's only 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

O Donaghue is great when he has open space. Not so good when hes bottled up. Interesting to see how he handles Donegals who will be like lions hunting him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

To achieve this level of fitness there must be a danger of losing the amateur ethos. If it can be achieved by hundreds of county players who still have to work 5 days a week then I think it loses something of the the mystique. Think of how much fitter they would be if they were doing full time training, if someone can be any fitter than incredibly fit.

But it is against the rules to participate in full time training. It is not defined but is nonetheless banned. I hope the elite whatever that means are no less amateur than their non elite counterparts when it comes to training.

Not being smart here, but how can you ban something that isn't defined?

I've heard a lot of nonsense about restricting GAA players' training. So are there going to be inspectors in your bedroom when you get up in the morning to make sure you don't do your pressups, etc. except on prescribed days?

What players do in their own time is entirely their own business and even if some crazy law was brought in to stop them it would be unenforcable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think Marty Morrissey is better on tv and more handsome than Jamie redknapp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

aveytare wrote: »
    I think people forget he's only 22.

And people forget that he is 2 years younger than O'Donoghue, and that O'Donoghue only really broke onto the scene last year.

Plenty of time for COC to get to the level of Brogan/Cooper/O'Donoghue.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Not being smart here, but how can you ban something that isn't defined?

I've heard a lot of nonsense about restricting GAA players' training. So are there going to be inspectors in your bedroom when you get up in the morning to make sure you don't do your pressups, etc. except on prescribed days?

What players do in their own time is entirely their own business and even if some crazy law was brought in to stop them it would be unenforcable.
    Dont be ridiculous. It would be fairly ok to manage and stop team sessions or at least limit them to help counter overkill of players.

Advertisement