Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Options
  • 12-06-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭

1. Eoin Kelly is the best forward of the last 15 years and is better than any Kilkenny forward in the same period.

2. Tony Browne while having incredible longevity was over rated. 1998 aside, Ken McGrath, Paul Flynn and later on, John Mullane were the main driving forces in that Waterford side.

3. The Waterford team of the mid 2000s had more skilful players than the Cork team of the same era. However, that Waterford team were mentally weak and each player played as if they were only playing for themselves. These fatal flaws meant the team would never win an All-Ireland. While not as skilful, the Cork team was a superior side in almost ever other way.

4. In terms of population, Clare have the best support amongst hurling fans. In terms of population, Galway have the worst.

5. It could take another 10 years before Dublin win an All-Ireland in the hurling. The majority of their current players look like they have been manufactured, rather than being natural players.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

You can bate tradition.

Both codes suffer from a lack of ingenuity of play - tactics, individual skills etc. E.g. In hurling Cork revolutionised the puck out by not simply belting it as far down the pitch as possible. Northern football sides in the past 15 years did rethink the game (although I don't necessarily like the result) and not simply have 3,3,2,3,3. These are exceptions to highlight what I am saying. In general there is a lack of ingenuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dublin have an unfair advantage playing all their football games in Croke park ........ :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

1. Eoin Kelly is the best forward of the last 15 years and is better than any Kilkenny forward in the same period.

Tell me at least that you are referring to the Mullinahone Eoin Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

adrian522 wrote: »
    Tell me at least that you are referring to the Mullinahone Eoin Kelly.

Of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2. Tony Browne while having incredible longevity was over rated. 1998 aside, Ken McGrath, Paul Flynn and later on, John Mullane were the main driving forces in that Waterford side.

3. The Waterford team of the mid 2000s had more skilful players than the Cork team of the same era. However, that Waterford team were mentally weak and each player played as if they were only playing for themselves. These fatal flaws meant the team would never win an All-Ireland. While not as skilful, the Cork team was a superior side in almost ever other way.

4. In terms of population, Clare have the best support amongst hurling fans. In terms of population, Galway have the worst.

5. It could take another 10 years before Dublin win an All-Ireland in the hurling. The majority of their current players look like they have been manufactured, rather than being natural players.

1. Which Eoin Kelly?

2. No, in my opinion. 2010 would be a case in point, caused the replay and saved the day with his head in extra time. I admit I'm biased though.

3. Yes, mentally under pressure they did crack. Case in point 1998 semi was a match they threw away and a far bigger mess than 2007 semi as thats the All Ireland they left behind.

4. Not so sure about the first part but yes on the second

5. Manufactured is a bit harsh but they would need to push on from last year. Playing is September is a must either this year or next.

• Advertisement

This is a one for the old people.

6. Ground hurling is pretty useless in this day and age and simply doesn't bare fruit in a game where accurate passing into the feet of forwards is the aim of the game. The days of simply aimlessly pucking the ball 80 yards up the pitch are gone.

chinguetti wrote: »
    1. Which Eoin Kelly?

Mullinahone

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Cluxton is the most overrated palyer in the country.Despite having a good kickout he is lacking basic goalkeeping skills, I cant remember the last time he made a proper save and is brutal in the air as well.

7. The midfield pairing of Jerry O'Connor and Tom Kenny were more important for Cork's mid 2000s success than the much vaunted half back line of O'hAilpin, Curran and Gardiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

1. Tipp man by any chance? I would say the years from 04 to maybe 07 he was a rival to Shefflin as one of the best in the business. But over the course of 15 years its a non-argument.

2. Your not as wide of the mark on this one. But I don't think its that unpopular a statement I think its obvious enough. He had a fantastic career but no one is saying hes the greatest ever or anything

3. I think discipline and questionable mentality was one of the reasons that Waterford team didn't get to the holy grail. The others being lack of strength and depth, a dodgy full backline and goalkeeper and poor man management.

4. I don't know enough to say but I know for a good few years prior to last year there was rarely more than a couple thousand at Clares championship matches. Technically Dublin behind Galway there I would think

5. Possibly. Wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

To be fair, in Galway only about half the county have much interest in hurling. Many places are rabidly footballing strongholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Henry Shefflin is one of the best players in recent times, but not undisputed as the best. I don't mind people considering him the best as long as they respect others who might consider DJ or Ken McGrath or Seanie McMahon the best.

Also, Henry Shefflin was not as good when he came back from his first big injury. He altered his game brilliantly and was still outstanding, but 02-06 were his best years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

the old cliché in hurling: 'write off offaly at your peril' dosent wash anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

1. Roscommon are a sleeping giant in football

2. There is a squad of footballers in every county with the right training and manager could win Provincial or an All Ireland within 2 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Not much difference between Sky and RTE

If Kilkenny and cork swapped places, Kilkenny would have less all Irelands and cork more in the last 15 years. I agree Kilkenny were the best, probably ever, but they only needed to start hurling in August each year. How many injuries did they have in their 4 in a row? I think this is directly related to the fact that they only really needed to focus on August and September.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

We are seeing a Dublin football team that will go down in history as one of the best ever.

There will be a big backlash in county and more so club teams in the near future. The demands are too large on players in both respects.

Hurling is the lesser sport. It is too "easy" to score.

While it may not be pretty you have to admire certain teams for having different tactical approaches when they work. Winning is the goal, playing stylishly is not a requirement.

The GAA need to crack down on violence on the field, mainly at club level. The bans aren't harsh enough and it will deter younger, lighter players as it goes on imo. It frustrates me that it is almost seen as acceptable to give a lad a thump to "slow him down".

The steps need to be either enforced as is or changed, football and hurling make a mockery of it these days.

The pick up rule should be removed, it is of no benefit to anyone. It just slows the game down and gives the defender a chance to catch up and foul.

Players should never ever have to pay in at the gate to play a game at an away club. Used to boil my piss that they would try to charge players and attendees the same price when the game in which you are playing is the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

the black card is the biggest farce ever invented by the GAA....no wait that actually true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

ustari wrote: »
    Players should never ever have to pay in at the gate to play a game at an away club. Used to boil my piss that they would try to charge players and attendees the same price when the game in which you are playing is the product.

:eek:
    Does this happen!?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

elefant wrote: »
    :eek:
    Does this happen!?

Happened me loads of times playing club football in Kildare for league games.
    This was over 4 years ago however so it may have changed.

I don't mind paying subs or whatever to my own club but just think paying at the other club is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Inter County level is going down a slippery slope and could implode.Demands on players too high.

Can see a strike of club players in the country very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

When it comes to Kilkenny in the Cody era the vast, vast, vast majority of Munster men and women cannot be objective through sheer green eyes jealousy. The green monster is rampant throughout Munster. Naming people who would not be fit to lace Shefflin's boots and promoting them as being just as good is a case in point.

The Carlow jersey is nice.

Naming people who would not be fit to lace Shefflin's boots and promoting them as being just as good is a case in point.

This is exactly the type of blindness that annoys me when talking about King Henry. How quickly even DJ's own county men forget about him. People were arguing for him to be on the team of the millennium a few years ago, and now he's not fit to lace Henry Shefflin's boots.

If someone makes a case for Henry Shefflin being the greatest they've seen I can respect it. If someone feels they don't even need to I don't have much interest in their opinion. Sure you could make a strong case that two of his teammates were better than him!

blue note wrote: »
    The Carlow jersey is nice.
    Any idea what it looks like in September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Can never understand why people need to clarify which Eoin Kelly they think is better. As above, Kelly was close enough to Shefflin for a period but I don't think he would be close over 15 years. There were better players on the Waterford team over the years than the other fella.

Ken McGrath is overrated as a centre back when people pick their 'teams of the last X years'. Ronan Curran and Seanie Mc were easily better centre backs (this is not to dispute McGrath's ability as a hurler, no doubting he was brilliant).

Tommy Walsh wasn't/isn't dirty, just plays it hard. Between himself and Sid for best defender I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

If Kilkenny and cork swapped places, Kilkenny would have less all Irelands and cork more in the last 15 years. I agree Kilkenny were the best, probably ever, but they only needed to start hurling in August each year. How many injuries did they have in their 4 in a row? I think this is directly related to the fact that they only really needed to focus on August and September.

Kilkenny's run through Leinster was so much easier because they made it so. Wexford & Offaly both had wins and several close games in the knockout championship against teams that Cork had much closer games against in Munster.

For several years through the middle of the last decade, I always felt that if Wexford & Offaly had swapped provinces with Limerick, Clare & Tipperary that it would have made very little difference to the overall strength of either provincial championship. Wexford & Offaly became demoralised as they felt they had little chance against Kilkenny after some heavy beatings. The exact same would have happened to the above three Munster teams if they had been exposed to an annual championship game against Kilkenny at that time.

Also, it's interesting that most Kilkenny people would never have had any difficulty with abandoning the provincial system. Munster hurling people protest that the Munster Hurling Championship is sacred and has to be protected. Yet the same people then complain that they are at a disadvantage compared with Kilkenny. It's called "having your cake & eating it"!

This is exactly the type of blindness that annoys me when talking about King Henry. How quickly even DJ's own county men forget about him. People were arguing for him to be on the team of the millennium a few years ago, and now he's not fit to lace Henry Shefflin's boots.

If someone makes a case for Henry Shefflin being the greatest they've seen I can respect it. If someone feels they don't even need to I don't have much interest in their opinion. Sure you could make a strong case that two of his teammates were better than him!

One can make a case for anything even a strong case but it still does not make it a fact. Fact= those mentioned would not be fit to lace his boots. Fact you are a jealous bunch down there in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Any idea what it looks like in September :D

Very clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Can never understand why people need to clarify which Eoin Kelly they think is better. As above, Kelly was close enough to Shefflin for a period but I don't think he would be close over 15 years. There were better players on the Waterford team over the years than the other fella.

Ken McGrath is overrated as a centre back when people pick their 'teams of the last X years'. Ronan Curran and Seanie Mc were easily better centre backs (this is not to dispute McGrath's ability as a hurler, no doubting he was brilliant).

Tommy Walsh wasn't/isn't dirty, just plays it hard. Between himself and Sid for best defender I've seen.

Whelehan was a majestic hurler loved seeing him play, looked permanently bollixed though, tongue out and helmet hanging off his head,, must have been due to the passive fag smoke in the Offaly dressing room or something

Advertisement