Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BIG History predictions thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

ejmck123 wrote: »
    I've been struggling to learn off some people in history essays and have ended up looking over previous years to see what will come up next.
    What do you people think will come up in the 2014 paper? :)
    I'd say an explorer may come up
    Columbus came up last year tho didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ejmck123

oh yeah, maybe I can rule that one out then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

It's unlikely that the ones that came up last year would come up again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

id say the plantation one, a painter outside Italy(renaissance) and maybe the archaeologist one aswell.

Have they ever repeated the same ones in 2 years in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Planter is almost definite, archaeologist/painter outside Italy, maybe the irish leader for independence one? And a revolution one is due as well I think,, they're the ones I'll learn by heart anyway

• Advertisement

Beca19 wrote: »
    Planter is almost definite, archaeologist/painter outside Italy, maybe the irish leader for independence one? And a revolution one is due as well I think,, they're the ones I'll learn by heart anyway

I agree. Be so happy if ur right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

I agree. Be so happy if ur right :D

Me too :D I suggest that everyone should make a chart and tick off all the people for the years you know? Makes it easy to see and you can judge it for yourself :cool:

A person living in a named civilisation outside of Ireland (i.e. Rome) hasn't come up since 2011, so that's almost certain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are no certainties.
    You are supposed to have covered the course and anything on the course can come up.

Here's hoping you're never getting a leg chopped off and the surgeon says 'Oh sorry, the leg chopping off question came up in previous years so I didn't bother doing it'.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neird

Any good websites to see sample essays??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Neird wrote: »
    Any good websites to see sample essays??

Are they not in your book?
    Edit: if not e-xamit is good, just put in the code for the question

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neird

Thanks, they don't unfortunately. Really annoyed about that

What are peoples predictions for the topics to come up on part D for Question 6. Do u think they will ask us to write on the cold war or do you think they will ask us to write on hitler etc

Also your predictions for part A on question 6

What are peoples predictions for the topics to come up on part D for Question 6. Do u think they will ask us to write on the cold war or do you think they will ask us to write on hitler etc

They will most likely ask the Cold War question. It comes up every year. Last year it came up in the people in history question, so it will probably be in Q6 this year.

I don't recommend relying on predictions too much, try to know the other less likely stuff anyway. I would avoid Q6 A, as it could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Usually, Question 6A is about The Renaissance, Ancient Civilisation or Monks.
    I've not got my exam papers with me to verify that but I'll be able to do so on Tuesday. :)

6B is always Social Change In 20th Century Ireland - our teacher advised us to never answer this question because you'll end up speaking from personal opinion/experience and not the relevant facts.

6C is always Political Changes in 20th Century Ireland. (Can contain anything about Irish History really - Economic War, Civil War, Life In Ireland During The Emergency, ect.)

6D is always International Relations in the 20th Century. (Usually only contains WW2 and/or Cuban Missile Crisis/Korean War/Berlin Blockade)

Liordi wrote: »
    Usually, Question 6A is about The Renaissance, Ancient Civilisation or Monks.
    I've not got my exam papers with me to verify that but I'll be able to do so on Tuesday. :)

6B is always Social Change In 20th Century Ireland - our teacher advised us to never answer this question because you'll end up speaking from personal opinion/experience and not the relevant facts.

6C is always Political Changes in 20th Century Ireland. (Can contain anything about Irish History really - Economic War, Civil War, Life In Ireland During The Emergency, ect.)

6D is always International Relations in the 20th Century. (Usually only contains WW2 and/or Cuban Missile Crisis/Korean War/Berlin Blockade)

Im gonna do 6D and i would prefer to do 6A than 6C but since it changes every year its safer to do 6C. The only problem is that i hate doing irish history. Everything after the war of independence is boring as **** :p

Im gonna do 6D and i would prefer to do 6A than 6C but since it changes every year its safer to do 6C. The only problem is that i hate doing irish history. Everything after the war of independence is boring as **** :p

Yeah, I'm probably gonna study for all three but if 6A is about the Renaissance I'll be skipping it, it's just good to have something to fall back on in case there's something that comes up that puzzles you.

Liordi wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm probably gonna study for all three but if 6A is about the Renaissance I'll be skipping it, it's just good to have something to fall back on in case there's something that comes up that puzzles you.

My hopes for the exam:

People in history: -Archaeologist on dig
    -Painter outside Italy (Renaissance)
    -Lord of Castle
    -Plantation one

Question 5: Age of Exploration hopefully or Revolutions

Question 6A: Reformation or Middle Ages
    Question 6D: Hopefully it is mainly short questions and then one account on Cold War crisis

The Question 6 on our mocks was a lot more difficult than the JC from previous year.

My hopes for the exam:

People in history: -Archaeologist on dig
    -Painter outside Italy (Renaissance)
    -Lord of Castle - Unlikely as it came up last year.
    -Plantation one

Question 5: Age of Exploration hopefully or Revolutions - Very likely as it hasn't come up in 7 years.

Question 6A: Reformation or Middle Ages
    Question 6D: Hopefully it is mainly short questions and then one account on Cold War crisis

People in History questions are not usually repeated two years in a row, though it has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

I hope that plantations, ancient civilisation and/or archeologist comes up. I'm very prepared for those, and if I can answer on 2 of those, I'll be super happy!! They're likely to come up for Q4. Make sure to predict Q5 and Q6A topics too!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Ya, our history teacher is drilling in the Revolutions for Q5 as well.

We were advised to stay away from the Social Change question 6 because our teacher told us students go off track when they are writing its accounts, but we still have to have an idea of it incase it comes up in Pictures etc.

I'd be happy enough with Q6A, its likely to be from First Year, which we have revised the living daylights out of:pac:, but I think it has been from Second Year once or twice.

I'm going to dodge Irish history Q6 if at all possible, I'll have a middling idea of it for pictures and documents etc. but Irish history accounts, no...:mad:

European History Q6 is a beaut. Relatively predictable with roughly 7 or 8 accounts to learn and an account from the Cold War, hopefully.

So, I'm not too worried about Q4, except I don't want to see "A Renaissance Patron" which came up in our mock, or something that normally belongs in Questions 5 and 6. I hate stuff like "A Russian Soldier fighting on the Eastern Front during WW2".

And for Question 6 its going to be A and D all the way

Does anyone think the Renaissance will come up on 6A?
    Hoping it's Romans/Monk.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

European History Q6 is a beaut. Relatively predictable with roughly 7 or 8 accounts to learn and an account from the Cold War, hopefully.

What are those 7or8 accounts?Just trying to minimise the amount of stuff to learn off.

Eims14 wrote: »
    What are those 7or8 accounts?Just trying to minimise the amount of stuff to learn off.

From what I can remember - anything from WW2/Cold War (usually only need one Cold War)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Eims14 wrote: »

(Not certain, but pretty sure); The Cold War - Korean War, Cuban Missile Crisis and The Berlin Blockade.

The Blitz, the Battle of Britain, D-Day and a few others which I'm not too sure of :/

Operation Barbarossa & Operation Overlord as well.

Would I get away with just knowing the Berlin Blockade for the Cold War or should I learn Missiles and Korea as well?

Mussolini's Italy and Hitler's Treatment of Jews are also on the list.

Early German Victories as well,

The Fall of France 1940 also.

There may be more than the initially anticipated 7 or 8 actually....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Would I get away with just knowing the Berlin Blockade for the Cold War or should I learn Missiles and Korea as well?

I know it's completely different but on my mock, "A crisis between the USA and the USSR" came up and that's the Cuban Missile Crisis. So I say you should know at least two very well and 1 'kind of'. Just to stay on the safe side :)

Advertisement