Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 5 - Guardians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

dunworth1 wrote: »
    for some reason i thought it was releasing on a friday!
    so i never booked time off.

so now ive gotta sit here all day waiting to go home a play it

I feel your pain Dun.

2 Friends are watsapping me pictures of themselves playing it. Bastards.

Anyone else order from Smyths? Know if they usually deliver on release day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Korvanica wrote: »
    I feel your pain Dun.

2 Friends are watsapping me pictures of themselves playing it. Bastards.

Anyone else order from Smyths? Know if they usually deliver on release day ?

i'm so tempted to develop a stomach bug

Half day here...come on 12.30pm

Picked it up this morning before work, 20 squids it cost me in Smyths (Traded MGS V for 34.99)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Balls, my game download was 55GB or so I thouhgt the patch had been downloaded, booted it up there and I still have 9gb patch. Going fairly quick though, so fingers crossed I might actually get to play it today at some point :-/
    UL your on the 3mb bogband too

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Finished the campaign, wont get to try multiplayer until later D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

you finished it already?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

wexdevil wrote: »

Is the story any good?

I'm a fan of the Halo universe and I think there are some great tragic stories in it.

wexdevil wrote: »
    **** already!
    I play all Halo campaigns on heroic first on a run solo.
    Then Coop legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭bgm13

Is there a huge day one patch that needs to be downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    **** already!
    I play all Halo campaigns on heroic first on a run solo.
    Then Coop legendary

Wuss :pac:

How long did the campaign take you wexdevil? (Obviously not that long I guess)

Hoping to crack into it tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Approx length of the campaign is 8 hours, so may be worth starting it on Legendary. That will most likely increase it to 12-14 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

maximoose wrote: »
    Wuss :pac:

How long did the campaign take you wexdevil? (Obviously not that long I guess)

Hoping to crack into it tonight
    Took me under 7 hours, though I did to it on normal with not much exploration(looking for skulls/intel)

Next up is legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

jeez.... reading the plot synopsis of the campaign, it may have jumped the shark a bit. what with
    Cortana essentially being now god like.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Spent a good few hours playing multiplayer earlier, mostly Arena and a few games of Breakout. The 4v4 is great, a lot less forgiving than Halo 4 was and everyone is evenly matched. Got started at platinum rank in Arena so happy enough with that.

Had one game of Warzone, it seemed fairly chaotic but a lot of fun. Have a feeling it's where most people will gravitate towards on the multiplayer front with no BTB in the game yet as it's a lot more relaxed and just plain fun compared to the 4v4 playlists. Would be some craic to get a 12 man team going at some stage.

Had a wee blast at campaign too, just reached the end of mission two. Doing it on Legendary, which makes the squad AI very frustrating at times when you need a revive but overall it seems easier than the earlier games, pretty much on a par with 4 ,aybe a little easier. Might get a lot tougher later on of course.

Overall really liking it so far and it's a welcome change to Destiny!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Know its probably been mentioned but want to vent.

Long time Halo fan. Back in the day, used to have Halo parties with friends every single weekend. 8 of us crammed round two TVs in the sitting room. And, probably more importantly, me and my bro would clear them on split screen co-op as well, and usually play online together too.

And split screen is gone now, which is incredible frustrating.

Ah well, at least there's online co-op, so can still have people playing through campaign with me.....only there's no co-op matchmaking apparently? God damn it.

I know I can organize groups online or whatever, but that takes a fair bit of time/co-ordination, and it's a massive, massive loss for me to take out that split screen element, and not even let me just pick up the game and play campaign quickly with others. :( Cause of my schedule, I don't usually play past 7:00pm, and can't be bothered setting up commitments to groups or whatever. Really frustrated and annoyed with the game now :(

Spent a good few hours playing multiplayer earlier, mostly Arena and a few games of Breakout. The 4v4 is great, a lot less forgiving than Halo 4 was and everyone is evenly matched. Got started at platinum rank in Arena so happy enough with that.

Had one game of Warzone, it seemed fairly chaotic but a lot of fun. Have a feeling it's where most people will gravitate towards on the multiplayer front with no BTB in the game yet as it's a lot more relaxed and just plain fun compared to the 4v4 playlists. Would be some craic to get a 12 man team going at some stage.

Had a wee blast at campaign too, just reached the end of mission two. Doing it on Legendary, which makes the squad AI very frustrating at times when you need a revive but overall it seems easier than the earlier games, pretty much on a par with 4 ,aybe a little easier. Might get a lot tougher later on of course.

Overall really liking it so far and it's a welcome change to Destiny!

Initial Campaign thoughts;

Shooting mechanics are accurate and smooth, frame rate is ideal for the faster pace of this Halo.
    Guns feel meaty and just fun to use.
    Could do with a bit more variaty in the mission layout but I'm only on mission 7 so far.
    I agree the AI is piss poor, even shooting at enemies and trying to revive its quite cringy at times. Getting in each others way or driving vehicles into stone walls to name a few things I spotted.
    I have a feeling I will enjoy it much more on legendary coop.
    The story is good to OK at times. I like the story so far as a package but I really don't give a **** about Locke if I'm honest.

Multiplayer thoughts so far;
    Played 3 games or warzone too with couple of the boards lads here and this is where the game excels. Most refreshing multi experience I have had since Titanfall IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Initial Campaign thoughts;

Shooting mechanics are accurate and smooth, frame rate is ideal for the faster pace of this Halo.
    Guns feel meaty and just fun to use.
    Could do with a bit more variaty in the mission layout but I'm only on mission 7 so far.
    I agree the AI is piss poor, even shooting at enemies and trying to revive its quite cringy at times. Getting in each others way or driving vehicles into stone walls to name a few things I spotted.
    I have a feeling I will enjoy it much more on legendary coop.
    The story is good to OK at times. I like the story so far as a package but I really don't give a **** about Locke if I'm honest.

Multiplayer thoughts so far;
    Played 3 games or warzone too with couple of the boards lads here and this is where the game excels. Most refreshing multi experience I have had since Titanfall IMO

We played a few rounds of arena after that, stronghold mode, where we got a good hiding. I think the map we played was in the beta though as the other team seemed to have the run of it.

Really liked what I've seen so far, warzone is great and the dedicated servers make for a very smooth experience.

There are lots of menus though, i found it hard to find the score breakdown at the end of the matches and the req systems aren't really explained very well, some games you'll have access to banshees and another time you won't, but it's not really made apparent as to why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sleazy Gonzales

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We played a few rounds of arena after that, stronghold mode, where we got a good hiding. I think the map we played was in the beta though as the other team seemed to have the run of it.

Really liked what I've seen so far, warzone is great and the dedicated servers make for a very smooth experience.

There are lots of menus though, i found it hard to find the score breakdown at the end of the matches and the req systems aren't really explained very well, some games you'll have access to banshees and another time you won't, but it's not really made apparent as to why that is.

You'll here an announcement saying "level whatever REQs available now" and you also need energy to dring in a REQ. I called in a Wraith during a match yesterday and it cost 5 energy, I hadn't noticed my energy building up or anything though.

Just on the AI of the squad again, that part where you fly the banshees in mission two, I hopped out of mine and got downed so I requested the revive. The others all converged in their banshees to try revive me, one of them managed to get out and was just standing next to me when another team mate splattered them while trying to disembark. I'd have been angry if it wasn't so funny! Another time they splattered me too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Urgh.
    My initial gut after a few hours is it'll be trade fodder by the end of the week. Not really liking the Req system at all.

Will give it more time tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

ah ffs i have to learn something new! Very excited, getting my copy tomorrow!

You'll here an announcement saying "level whatever REQs available now" and you also need energy to dring in a REQ. I called in a Wraith during a match yesterday and it cost 5 energy, I hadn't noticed my energy building up or anything though

that's spot on, but the part that's not really clear is that you need to have a banshee card in your deck to select a banshee, shotgun card for shotgun etc. It was a bit confusing as I was hitting the power level and I only had cards for ghosts or a warthog. It's early days yet though, like titanfall I'll probably be discarding half the cards in a few days when things settle down.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Urgh.
    My initial gut after a few hours is it'll be trade fodder by the end of the week. Not really liking the Req system at all.

Will give it more time tonight.

What modes have you been playing?
    Bunch of us here will be online this evening for a few games. Always better that way IMO

that's spot on, but the part that's not really clear is that you need to have a banshee card in your deck to select a banshee, shotgun card for shotgun etc. It was a bit confusing as I was hitting the power level and I only had cards for ghosts or a warthog. It's early days yet though, like titanfall I'll probably be discarding half the cards in a few days when things settle down.

I managed to get enough points for a gold REQ pack up playing Arena for about 3 hours yesterday and you earn lower level packs regularly enough it seems from just ranking up, so you'll end up with a good variety of cards fairly quickly I think. Not a hope I'll be spending any actual money on them :)

Anyone that has not already added me as friend, can you add myself and the brothers?

Gamertags

Maoileoin
    Bo0mton
    Nxtgen Soco

Will be on myself later for a few games, would be great to get a warzone going, I got ripped apart last night, bloody Magnum is insane for headshots at 100+ yards.

logik wrote: »
    Anyone that has not already added me as friend, can you add myself and the brothers?

Gamertags

Maoileoin
    Bo0mton
    Nxtgen Soco

Will be on myself later for a few games, would be great to get a warzone going, I got ripped apart last night, bloody Magnum is insane for headshots at 100+ yards.

I think you're all in my friends list from BF Hardline, feel free to hop in the party if you see me on, no need to look for an invite.

I think you're all in my friends list from BF Hardline, feel free to hop in the party if you see me on, no need to look for an invite.

We are indeed mate, will do. Would be great to get a decent warzone going. From playing last night, enemies moving in packs cause huge damage. Playing solo in warzone does not work. If we were to get a bunch of lads into a fireteam we could coordinate attacks.

Agree with a number of guys above, I think 70% of players are going to be playing Warzone over the other modes. Having dedicated servers has made a huge difference aswell.

I'd be on for some Warzone tonight for sure, think I already have you on friends list logik. The more we get in a team the better.

Did anyone see anything related to the cln in game? All I saw was the company name beneath my ID but nothing else. Was hoping there'd be proper in game clans but it looks like they've gone the same route as destiny where all it amounts to is some writing beneath your gamertag.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    We are indeed mate, will do. Would be great to get a decent warzone going. From playing last night, enemies moving in packs cause huge damage. Playing solo in warzone does not work. If we were to get a bunch of lads into a fireteam we could coordinate attacks.

Agree with a number of guys above, I think 70% of players are going to be playing Warzone over the other modes. Having dedicated servers has made a huge difference aswell.

yeah, we had one massive win, but the next game it swung right around. taking down the mini bosses as soon as they appear is definitely key to success from what I've seen so far. some of them award 150 points for a takedown which goes a long way to making a comeback / opening a lead.

if you even had 2 well coordinated 4 man groups I reckon you'd go a long way.

Advertisement