Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland the most truly muslim country in the world like

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

So we observe shararrarararara law?

_75189523_tuy2neth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Our new favourite comedy would be Imam Ted

Those infidels are small....those are f a r a w a y.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Very tolerant? What about northern ireland? Sure where would you of got people more tolerant of each others faith than there?

You do know there's this border thing up there between us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭paulbok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

seamus wrote: »
    Hard to tell if it's a bit of "religion of peace" propaganda or a genuine academic thought experiment.

Either way, it's not saying Ireland is Islamic or becoming Islamic or in any way enforces Sharia law. The study compared Islamic economic teachings to the economic laws and values in various countries and found that Ireland is the most aligned. It says nothing about social values, ethics, education, etc. It's just about economics.

Sorry but this para from the text says differently:

'In carrying out the study, they applied the ideals of Islam in the areas of a society’s economic achievements, governance, human and political rights, and international relations, he said'

Regards

There is not a single "Muslim" country I would be happy to live in.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

And the irony of it all is, the country would not rate so highly if it was ever an Islamic country !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Lone Stone wrote: »
    And the irony of it all is, the country would not rate so highly if it was ever an Islamic country !

irony indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Very tolerant? What about northern ireland? Sure where would you of got people more tolerant of each others faith than there?

Part of the UK so would come under their statistics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

I'm not surprised by the article

On the few visits that i have had to Muslim countries ,i found my liberal views turned on its head
    the kindness ,compassion ,understanding for fellow humans was very evident

Values and empathy was in every man/womans eyes i looked into

of course theres always those that i don't agree with

Deep down Ireland still has those values

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

iba wrote: »
    Why?
    The oppressively conservatism would interfere with my lifestyle.

jellyboy wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Sorry but this para from the text says differently:

'In carrying out the study, they applied the ideals of Islam in the areas of a society’s economic achievements, governance, human and political rights, and international relations, he said'

Regards

see post no. 31

does anyone read the thread or article before posting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The Catholic Church are already working hard to try and retain their numbers with new initiatives such as upgrading women to second class citizens, a 24-hour confession service and offering all masses in 3D.

“Ah it’s great really, it’s more convenient as there is a mosque close to me here and in fairness it’s about time I read a new book,” shared Clonskeagh resident Mark Chambers, just one of thousands of people now looking to Islam to be their main religious faith provider.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/06/10/ireland-makes-the-big-switch-to-islam/

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

They're reporting on an academic study with reference to ireland, whats the problem?

The headline is sensationalist, misleading muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Article includes the word "111st", can no longer take it seriously.

How would that be pronounced, one-hundred-and-tenty-first?

Your way of pronouncing is correct in Europe but in the US it's "One hundred and eleven-ist'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not arsed reading the study, but isn't this based on a liberal interpretation of Muslim teachings? Presumably if they used criteria related to public stonings for adultery, death for apostasy, subjugation of women, etc., Ireland would feature a bit lower, with Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and so on, rising up the table.

The oppressively conservatism would interfere with my lifestyle.

Must be some lifestyle you lead :eek:

I would not class any of the following Muslim countries oppressively conservative:

Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey. to name but a few. Probably countries like Kuwait and others in the region like the Emirates might also be included on that list but I am not sure as I have not been or lived in them.

But I presume that you base your comments on living in numerous Muslim countries.

Regards

• Advertisement

The headline is sensationalist, misleading muck.

No it is not.

Perhaps you do not fully understand the article?

Dave! wrote: »
    Not arsed reading the study, but isn't this based on a liberal interpretation of Muslim teachings? Presumably if they used criteria related to public stonings for adultery, death for apostasy, subjugation of women, etc., Ireland would feature a bit lower, with Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and so on, rising up the table.

Exactly to a degree.

Not totally 'liberal interpretation' - more like the way the Quran is meant to be understood and the way the majority of Muslims understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

One hundred and eleventy first of course

No it is not.

Perhaps you do not fully understand the article?

I do yeah. But cheers for the veiled patronising you went for there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

jellyboy wrote: »
    I'm not surprised by the article

On the few visits that i have had to Muslim countries ,i found my liberal views turned on its head
    the kindness ,compassion ,understanding for fellow humans was very evident

of course theres always those that i don't agree with

Deep down Ireland still has those values

Anyone I've ever known who's spent time in Iran was absolutely blown away by the generosity and hospitality of the Iranian people. Persians are the most hospitable, welcoming people I've ever met and willing to share their culural heritage with anyone who wants to learn.
    And then you compare that reality with the media depiction of Iran as some evil backwater where everyone hates the west, couldn't be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This X people are lovely. Is the biggest tonne of shtye ever. So you visited one tiny proportion of a country and now you know what everyone in that country is like. I wouldn't even generalise Irish people. Some people are empathetic, some are misogynistic. The great thing about "some people" is you can make practically any claim after it and it will be true for some people somewhere.

The biggest discerning factor in a country is how minorities and those of inequitable social backgrounds are treated. Not how some group of locals treated you in a given region. Sure all Australians are lovely, fck me! Even Australians don't know what Australians are like.

That's also the problem with the claim in the OP. This guy has defined Islamic as meaning something but that's just one interpretation of Islam. I can say most Irish Catholics aren't what I consider Catholic but it's far more complicated than that. A person who identifies as Catholic is a Catholic and also in some ways contributed to the way the label Catholic is defined. Discerning the true Catholic, or proper Islam, from the self proclaimed Catholic, or self identified Muslim, is an impossible task. For all intents and purposes countries that he denies as Islamic identify as Islamic. Leaving the huge clusterfck of religious identity.

Something that is in fact very very grey.

I do yeah. But cheers for the veiled patronising you went for there.

Apologise that you feel I was patronising; that certainly was not my intention.

Would be grateful however if you could explain/substantaite your assertion that the article is "The headline is sensationalist, misleading muck"

Regards

Apologise that you feel I was patronising; that certainly was not my intention.

Would be grateful however if you could explain/substantaite your assertion that the article is "The headline is sensationalist, misleading muck"

Regards

The headline itself makes no mention of the study (nor of the debatable effectiveness of the criteria), passing off the findings as fact with the same authority as they would a football result.

The quotation marks used are a cheap, gutless get out clause. It's tabloid reporting at the most base level, give a controversial sounding headline to suck readers in. It shouldn't have been a big ask to add two little words to their headline: 'study claims'.

Instead they save that for their subheadline, secure in the knowledge that their web hits for the day are already being boosted.

Hopefully that will earn your gratitude as outlined above.

'Regards'

Must be some lifestyle you lead :eek:

I would not class any of the following Muslim countries oppressively conservative:

Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey. to name but a few. Probably countries like Kuwait and others in the region like the Emirates might also be included on that list but I am not sure as I have not been or lived in them.

But I presume that you base your comments on living in numerous Muslim countries.

Regards
    Turkey is secular surely? Just with Islam as the majority religion. As you guessed, I haven't lived in any of those countries and no, my lifestyle isnt too extreme. I wouldn't want to live in any country religion had any meaningful say in the governance of the country. Yes yes I know Bunrocked na Hairran. But I like to have the freedom to smoke the pink cigar tomorrow if I so choose.

Regards

• Advertisement

Turkey is secular surely? Just with Islam as the majority religion. As you guessed, I haven't lived in any of those countries and no, my lifestyle isnt too extreme. I wouldn't want to live in any country religion had any meaningful say in the governance of the country. Yes yes I know Bunrocked na Hairran. But I like to have the freedom to smoke the pink cigar tomorrow if I so choose.

Regards

Good question, is Turkey secular or not - Ataturk certainly wanted it that way (get rid of your fes and have a bowler hat and all that) - but Islam is certainly the dominant religion and does influence its politics and society.

Is Ireland a secular country - according to the constitution it is not.

I take it you live in Ireland and yet the first words of the constitution refer to God. Therefore Ireland is goverened by religion. And lets not forget abortion still rarely allowed - again an example of religious control. And nearly all primary schools and most secondary schools are under religious control.

Can also mention the forced closure of establishments on good friday and xmas day - again religious control.

I do not know what a pink cigar is, but there is nothing that I have ever done in Ireland that I have not done in any of the countries that I have listed. None of them have infringed on my lifestyle in any way whatsoever and I ain't no saint.

Regards

Advertisement