Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland the most truly muslim country in the world like

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

When I saw the headline I thought it was gonna be an extremist wind up merchant, but when you read what the guy is saying he's making an interesting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I think we fall down on the no alcohol bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

What about the corruption and the Church cover ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

cml387 wrote: »

Only when we have had too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Not for want of people trying to ban it. ;) I was going to say at least we don't stone single mothers, but I do believe we even have that covered, metaphorically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

A typically human trait, swapping one suffocating religion for another, been the way it's been since the first troll told his ape compatriot that stars had a hand in destiny.

The only hope we have is to become like the Czech Rep and become completely atheist. Wonderful people the Czech, couldn't give a f$ck about f$ck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

When your study spits out results like this, you really need to re-examine your criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

And the tasty tasty pork and bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I suppose a similar Christian index would place us similar.

Ireland is very tolerant of faiths & the ideals they profess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hard to tell if it's a bit of "religion of peace" propaganda or a genuine academic thought experiment.

Either way, it's not saying Ireland is Islamic or becoming Islamic or in any way enforces Sharia law. The study compared Islamic economic teachings to the economic laws and values in various countries and found that Ireland is the most aligned. It says nothing about social values, ethics, education, etc. It's just about economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

seamus wrote: »
    Hard to tell if it's a bit of "religion of peace" propaganda or a genuine academic thought experiment.

Yeah, this was my thought too, and I'm leaning towards the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wouldn't have though we have enough sand or camels for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

jellyboy wrote: »

Can you tell us why your not surprised? I bet you don't even understand what the article is saying.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well, we're set for stones anyway. (Is this a sweeping enough statement for AH?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

keith16 wrote: »
    Can you tell us why your not surprised? I bet you don't even understand what the article is saying.

I'm not saying the OP didn't understand the article but I was wondering why someone wouldn't be surprised by this. What trends have they been monitoring in Irish society over the last 10 years that would have indicated that we are the most truly muslim country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I wouldn't have though we have enough sand or camels for that?

You obviously weren't in Brittas Bay this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is not a single "Muslim" country I would be happy to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Nice to see the Times trying new things and taking brave steps into tabloid sensationalism (I suppose they're trying not to fall behind the Indo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

seamus wrote: »
    The study compared Islamic economic teachings to the economic laws and values in various countries
    :confused:
    Article says it used "economic achievements, governance, human and political rights, and international relations" so slightly broader than just economics.

I think the point is that if you take what a religion preaches and then look to see what countries appear to have implemented those ideals Ireland is a good match for Islam. It does not mean that Ireland has used Islam as a basis for its culture, but to be fair since "turning the other cheek" is a tenet of Christian teaching then the use of the death penalty in the US would suggest they're values are not based on Christianity.

Anyway paper seems to the academic version of link bait.

Nice to see the Times trying new things and taking brave steps into tabloid sensationalism (I suppose they're trying not to fall behind the Indo).
    They're reporting on an academic study with reference to ireland, whats the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

There is not a single "Muslim" country I would be happy to live in.

If I could have my Irish wage, I'd live in the Maldives no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

I suppose a similar Christian index would place us similar.

Ireland is very tolerant of faiths & the ideals they profess.

Very tolerant? What about northern ireland? Sure where would you of got people more tolerant of each others faith than there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

“ Islam is, and has been for centuries, the articulation of the universal love of Allah for his creation and for its unity, and all that this implies for all-encompassing human and economic development,”

That bit gave me the best laugh I've had so far this week !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I hope that the gratuitous use of the word like is prohibited in Muslim countries.

BASHIR wrote: »
    If I could have my Irish wage, I'd live in the Maldives no problem.
    Really? You'll have to convert to islam in order to get citizenship and you'll be living under de facto shariha law. Also, no fornication, gayness or practicing of religion other than islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I don't think some of you actually read beyond the headline. :)

The study ranks most actually Islamic countries quite low on the table and ranks a load of Northern European countries along with NZ and others that also top the human development index at the top.

I think the authors of the studies are just trying to point out that the harsh interpretation of Islamic law that's a feature of a large number of most Islamic states is different from their much more liberal and humanist reading of it.

In reality the reason those counties top the list is the fact that they're basically modern post-religious humanist societies with a major emphasis on freedom and democracy.

Despite Ireland's early to mid 20th century horrors under the thumb of religious conservatism, Ireland from the 1990s onwards started to change very dramatically.

They're not ranking us as Islamic in the Iranian or UAE sense, they're ranking us as how they'd like to see Islamic counties actually behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Allahu akbar lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Our new favourite comedy would be Imam Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If anyone wants to read the academic article the Irish Times report is talking about it can be accessed online. I'm not sure about linking directly so a search on Google Scholar for An Economic IslamicityIndex (the title of their paper) throws up a link where you can view the paper, also the authors have another one called 'How Islamic are Islamic Countries?' (second link on the above search) which looks at other factors apart from economic ones, Ireland is number 3 on that list. I have only skimmed through them both so I can't comment on what the authors are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    :confused:
    Article says it used "economic achievements, governance, human and political rights, and international relations" so slightly broader than just economics.

no , when you look at all those factors Ireland does not come first. In the "Overall Islamicity Index" Irelandis third.

“Looking at an index of Economic Islamicity, or how closely the policies and achievements of countries reflect Islamic economic teachings - Ireland, "
    Ireland only come first if you look only at the economics.

Advertisement