Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man joining other armies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

I've worked there for 25years......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Well I will put my hand up when I am wrong and there you have it. Also my information was second hand or maybe even further from the source..... The Guy I was thinking off missed the PDF recruitment by maybe 3 years. Things were very tight on recruitment as regards age, British army is much more relaxed. There may also have been some begrudgery there also in the background as to why he didnt return to the FCA. That was from an Officer in the FCA at the time.

I still haven't received a reply back from the Press Office. I have heard of people from other nationalities joining the defence forces but they were either naturalised from an early age or dual citizenship.

The defence forces are open to nationalities other than irish, provided certain legal requirements are met. In fact they ran an information campaign about it earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mightywarrior

You need to be a naturalised US citizen, the ways about that are obtaining a green card through an immediate family member who is a us citizen or green card holder or a spouse that is a US citizen or a green card holder. After you have your green card you have to be residing in the United States for 5 years. If you join the military the naturalisation process can take as little as one day during an active war period but its more like 6 months. after you have your US passport only then can you join tier1 and tier2 SF/SOF or government bodies as all need a classified clearance level that can only be granted to a US citizen. Sure, you can be a Navy SEAL. Your objective should be to obtain a US citizenship legally before the age of 28 as you must be this age or under to undergo the BUD/S training. The rest, physical and mental training is down to you. Good luck.

Advertisement