Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man joining other armies

Options
  • 09-06-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I was just wondering what armies can I join as an Irish person. I would like to join the navy seals but I don't no if I can. If someone could let me know what armies I can join I would be thankful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You need to be living permanently and legally in the U.S to join.
    If that's not an option, you're perfectly entitled to join the British army though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PsychoSull

The french foreign legion

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

The Salvation Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The Foreign Salvation Army.

Apply for the green card, OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I doubt if anyone Irish could become a Navy Seal even if they became a US citizen. You have to be citizen for certain roles in the US forces not just a green card holder. But in case any no Irish person could get the necessary security clearances. This also applies to certain roles in the British forces.

Sorry to crash your fantasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wouldnt bother with the French Foreign Legion unless you want to own a French passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I love the way people who post these threads always are intent on joining the Navy Seals or ARW or SAS, as if they're just going to stroll into a special forces unit.

Also having looked around it seems like it might be possible if you gain US citizenship so a few years in the US army or marines might be required first to get citizenship. From here it just says being a US citizen which i assume includes people who have obtained citizenship.

And this:
    Other
    In addition to the other requirements listed on this website, applicants must be able to obtain a secret security clearance, be male and must remain morally, mentally and physically qualified.
    It's very unlikely an Irish born man could obtain that clearance given that we are outside NATO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

folbotcar wrote: »
    And this:
    It's very unlikely an Irish born man could obtain that clearance given that we are outside NATO.

Actually it still may be possible. I know in the case of the British army some security sensitive jobs are still open to non-British with 5 years residency in the UK. No reason why that wouldn't be the case in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

And this:

Completely false

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Mr_boom wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering what armies can I join as an Irish person. I would like to join the navy seals but I don't no if I can. If someone could let me know what armies I can join I would be thankful.

It can be done. Follow your dream kid.. :-)

Completely false
    Give me an example in the US military then? Name one Irish born special forces or Navy Seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Give me an example in the US military then? Name one Irish born special forces or Navy Seal?

Yeah, coz that's how it works!

You've stated two very sweeping generalisations* without providing any evidence to back them up.
    When challenged on it, what you've said, effectively, is "Well, if you can't provide a name, then I was right."

You're the one making the claims - it's up to you to prove yourself right, not up to others to prove you wrong.

*:
    I doubt if anyone Irish could become a Navy Seal even if they became a US citizen. You have to be citizen for certain roles in the US forces not just a green card holder. But in case any no Irish person could get the necessary security clearances. This also applies to certain roles in the British forces.

And this:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Belgium will enlist any european citizen. Russia was trying to find foreign bodies awhile back. Spanish Legion i believe starter taking foreigner in 2001 {Mostly ex colonies] Then the main guys HM Armed Forces The FFL. If your Jewish Israel will take you, Luxembourg if you moved their for 2 years. New Zealand but can fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Recently at an international sniper competition held in the USA, attended by members of the PDF (who performed very well) was won by a US SOF team with on of the guys being an ex irish army ranger. He didn't transfer but applied to the military like anyone else, and passed selection for the SOF group (I think it was Green berets, not to sure)

It was in the An Cosaintor magazine awhile back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

You know fcuk all about what types of security clearance an Irish born male can obtain.

Infact, Irish born males regularly get the 'secret' classification security clearance....not that you'd know anything about it.

Facts always go down better than personal opinions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You know fcuk all about what types of security clearance an Irish born male can obtain.

Infact, Irish born males regularly get the 'secret' classification security clearance....not that you'd know anything about it.

Facts always go down better than personal opinions.

I had to cancel my Irish passport in order to gain a "Secret". I now hold a "Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmentalized Information"

You absolutely must be a US citizen these days to get a clearance, but that doesn't mean that you can have once been a citizen of another country beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

An Cosantoir, June 2014, page 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

neilled wrote: »
    An Cosantoir, June 2014, page 5.

It was a great interview too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fiachra17

I'm heading to France to join the FFL in September, would be glad to hear of anyone else interested in doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Fiachra17 wrote: »
    I'm heading to France to join the FFL in September, would be glad to hear of anyone else interested in doing it.

You could joint the British army many have done so over the years.

Sure aren't we celebrating those that deserted irish army and run away to joint the British during the WW as heros now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm too old now, but I was thinking about it at one time.

Mind you, I soon got over it and buckled down to my school exams instead.

Good luck to you, or as we French-speakers say - Bonne Chance!

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm too old now, but I was thinking about it at one time.

Mind you, I soon got over it and buckled down to my school exams instead.

Good luck to you, or as we French-speakers say - Bonne Chance!

tac
    Well I was in college in the states a few years back, susi have denied my grant application, so I've nothing to lose really.

Merci bien, quand je reviendrai en Irlande, je parlerai parfaitement le français. Mais quoi que je fasse, je voudrais vivre en France. The military training and travelling the world is definitely a bonus too

Go for it man! Why wait til september?

discus wrote: »
    Go for it man! Why wait til september?

One of my friends from America is coming over in September, so gonna hang out with herself before I head. Wanna come too ? haha

One of my friends from America is coming over in September, so gonna hang out with herself before I head. Wanna come too ? haha

That's the best answer I've read to people claiming that they will join "in a few months". Usually, they say they need to get fit blah blah blah. At least you're waiting around for a chick, go on lad!

I'm actually considering the legion for when I sign off from the BA - see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

Not true... I work for a defense contractor and have clearance to go on AF bases....Dublin born, US permanent resident, and Irish passport holder.....people can join the US armed forces and become naturalized. not any national guard entity though. 25 years here now...not all scenarios are publicly available via internet search...where theres a will theres a way....I built Felix Baumgartners helmets and worked on his suit...some would say that would be someones dream....never thought I would have those opportunities back in 1989...let the guy dream (in case you think I'm BS I have photos :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Get the pictures up :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

visual wrote: »
    You could joint the British army many have done so over the years.

Sure aren't we celebrating those that deserted irish army and run away to joint the British during the WW as heros now.

My friend was a Sergeant in the FCA in Kilkenny and he left it too long to apply for the PDF. He was furious and he went over to join E company of the Irish Guards in the British Army. He went over a served a few years and he was very happy to get out.

Once you leave and join a foreign security service (police army or other) you cant return to Ireland and apply to join here when you come back, that door is closed. Its different in the states where they welcome experience. (I mean you can return to visit and/or as a civvy but cant apply for national security job). Although they did say that the position of Garda commissioner may be open to people with relevant experience from abroad

• Advertisement

M
    Once you leave and join a foreign security service (police army or other) you cant return to Ireland and apply to join here when you come back, that door is closed.

I know a Garda or two who've served in the British Army. I know a soldier who also served with the BA. Your point is... invalid

Advertisement