Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm and sunny, possibly very warm weather later from 11th to 19th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Kinsale Energy is reporting a sea temperature of 21.2*C: http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Such a lovely day here in Cavan. Going to try and leave work early and get some grass cut. Now if this weather can be replicated in Glastonbury next week I will be one very happy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Kinsale Energy is reporting a sea temperature of 21.2*C: http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

The temperature figure is for air. It does not record or quote water temperature. Btw it is reporting over 22c, up since your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Looks like a very definite end to all this by the middle of next week, but this spell has at least proved the "no summer like last year" crowd wrong, hopefully there'll be another anticyclone on the way before we know it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just hit 26.0c here... not bad for 3pm this side of the summer solstice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The temperature figure is for air. It does not record or quote water temperature. Btw it is reporting over 22c, up since your post.

You're right, I was looking at the wrong one.

What I find odd is that the sea temperature at M4 is higher than the air temperature. Same with M3 and M6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Image at 1446. Significant cloud upstream for tonight and tomorrow I'd say.

311305.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

looking like a low will push in from next wednesday on... ughhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Image at 1446. Significant cloud upstream for tonight and tomorrow I'd say.

311305.jpg

Thanks for the image, are these high res satellite images openly available somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Cracker of a day here in Galway, blue sky but clouds coming in from the North West now, my station recorded 27.5 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Video wrote: »

Why are you worrying about an unlikely event that models are showing 7 days out? The models are notoriously unreliable at that time range, enjoy what we have while it lasts and worry about a breakdown when it comes into a reasonable time range!

jArgHA wrote: »
    Thanks for the image, are these high res satellite images openly available somewhere?

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/data/near-real-time-data/rapid-response/modis-subsets

or

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Need to register and login to use the Dundee site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Video wrote: »

All about trends. Best to fix your gaze for Monday first and work from there. This is a big improvement.

Rtavn1201.gif

Again here on the UKMO for Monday high pressure building from the southwest

Rukm1201.gif

Little point going beyond Saturday right now in reality though due to the amount of disparities between the models and within their own ensemble range.

If that is the situation on Monday or even better i'd say most would take it. But it's too uncertain yet.

omicron wrote: »
    Why are you worrying about an unlikely event that models are showing 7 days out? The models are notoriously unreliable at that time range, enjoy what we have while it lasts and worry about a breakdown when it comes into a reasonable time range!

I'm a complete hypocrite I must say when it comes to FI. If the weather is ideal and FI shows nastiness I scoff and say "bah, it's just FI, unreliable piece of junk" but is the weather is nasty and FI shows a massive improvement I'm like "sure it may be FI, but how unreliable could it be?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Going on the 12z ECM between now and Sunday - Saturday is the only day when 850hpa temps are below +8c widely. Tomorrow it is conceivable with any long sunshine that temperatures could be in the mid - high twenties in the southwest in particular and really climbing elsewhere too away from the north. Saturday looks the real fly in the ointment in my opinion. That's probably going to end up disappointing.

Also more signs that things could warm up further for beginning of next week. Just a trend at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another cracker of a day in Castlebar. however in the past 30 minutes extensive low cloud has moved down from the north really dropping the temperature. no nice sunset this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Think ME will be more accurate than those on here forecasting. Look at all that cloud to spill over the country coming in from the North, so unless it burns off in the morning, it looks like it'll be a pretty dull affair with passing sunny spells.

Dull, cloudy and even some light drizzle here in Murrisk, Westport this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

dull and dry most of the time till next wednesday in ireland 17c

South and Southeast warmer and sunnier 21c

breakdown then

by the way Connaught was promised temps of 29c yesterday.
    Sligo which is in Connaught got 18.1c.

How wrong can they be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

2.5 day heatwave has ended in South Tipp( Monday Lunchtime-Last night). Pity as I said earlier in the thread inevitable that it would end coming towards the weekend. Anyone else think that the media went into complete over drive on the weather the last 2 days.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

pauldry wrote: »

breakdown then

How wrong can they be??

Seems the top temp anywhere in the country was 25.9 yesterday.

Anyone else think that the media went into complete over drive on the weather the last 2 days.?

The media goes into complete overdrive any time the temperature goes beyond roughly a +/-3 anomaly. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Most models are showing a nasty depression breaking out of Greenland towards the middle of next week and heading for us, but some show it narrowly missing us. Will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

pauldry wrote: »

breakdown then

How wrong can they be??

Who promised 29C in Connaught?

The end of month report will show the maximum reached. The "Yesterday's Weather" report is only for a subset of available stations.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Who promised 29C in Connaught?

Met Eireann promised it for Wednesday on Tuesday, well, between 27 and 29.

Screen-grabbed from a friend's Facebook:

wgrig9.jpg

Most models are showing a nasty depression breaking out of Greenland towards the middle of next week and heading for us, but some show it narrowly missing us. Will have to wait and see.

The 12Z GFS doesn't look that bad of a run heading out to 5 days and then into FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Tarzana wrote: »
    Met Eireann promised it for Wednesday on Tuesday, well, between 27 and 29.

Screen-grabbed from a friend's Facebook:

wgrig9.jpg

Ah right, cheers. Well, I'd consider that a promise of 27C, with the possibility of up to 29C.
    The Mt Dillon station got over 25C yesterday, so I wouldn't be surprised if some other spots hit 26 or 27C.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Ah right, cheers. Well, I'd consider that a promise of 27C, with the possibility of up to 29C.
    The Mt Dillon station got over 25C yesterday, so I wouldn't be surprised if some other spots hit 26 or 27C.

Well "will reach" seems like they were confident 27 degrees would be breached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Tarzana wrote: »
    Well "will reach" seems like they were confident 27 degrees would be breached.
    Given the previous day got 27c in was it Newport Furnace Co Mayo? Then expecting that and more the following day was reasonable and probably happened when all the stats from the lesser known stations on peoples private property are reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

crikey..it did

27.1c

respect to Newport

up mayo

no wonder they issued the warning

spot on whitebriar

thought shannon was tops but there you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

A Report from met éireann on the last few days and there definition of a heatwave
    On June 17th and 18th, an area of high pressure of up to 1034 hPa was centred northwest of Ireland bringing a north to northeasterly air flow across Ireland. This brought the warmest conditions so far for 2014, with the high maximum temperature of 27.1°C recorded at Newport, Co. Mayo on the 17th. Despite the warm weather, the criteria for a heatwave (five consecutive days with maximum temperature over 25°C) was not exceeded.

Full Report Here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement