Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQTs - are you having any luck?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PinkCat86

Are all the history/English posts gone for September? any ideas on how to make up the 300 hours NQT criteria :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

At this stage, principals are gone on hols so nothing until aug. You can clock up the hours through subbing

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmcd545

I completed my hours in England. Finishing up here on Friday! Long ovedue holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

PinkCat86 wrote: »
    Are all the history/English posts gone for September? any ideas on how to make up the 300 hours NQT criteria :)

There's no set number of posts in any subject. Schools advertise as needed. Schools are shut until august, this is when principals take their holidays so you won't see much advertised for the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

PinkCat86 wrote: »

Make yourself available for subbing in September and do take it if it is offered. You have three years to complete it so you can build up your hours. You get it extended if you need to. Get the workshops done this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Lmcd545 wrote: »
    I completed my hours in England. Finishing up here on Friday! Long ovedue holiday!

I think you have to complete your hours in the country in which you graduated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you can complete some of these hours in certain schools in the UK I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I think you have to complete your hours in the country in which you graduated.

You can definitely complete all of these hours in the UK if you're looking into that option. It's how I completed mine. I know the form specifies International experience so if you're looking further afield you can check with the teaching council to ensure they will accept those hours.

Since I came out of college the teaching council have been steadily increasing the time allowed for teachers to complete their experience so they do understand the situation and its not something you should be overly anxious about at this point.

All hours in the UK are recognised provided they are in your subject area and not on time sheets. There are a few forms to fill out.
    Completing the NQT programme also exempts you from the workshops.
    The teaching council are taking time spent teaching in England into consideration when you get a job at home and it can determine your position on the payscale p2 rather than p1.

I am trying to secure a job at home for September but so far I have not had any interviews. I'm hoping more job opportunities come up in August.
    Some subject combinations are very odd lately science, pe and business? Geography, biology and business? Also must have qualification to teach I.T are these jobs advertised with someone in mind? They must be

All hours in the UK are recognised provided they are in your subject area and not on time sheets. There are a few forms to fill out.
    Completing the NQT programme also exempts you from the workshops.
    The teaching council are taking time spent teaching in England into consideration when you get a job at home and it can determine your position on the payscale p2 rather than p1.

I am trying to secure a job at home for September but so far I have not had any interviews. I'm hoping more job opportunities come up in August.
    Some subject combinations are very odd lately science, pe and business? Geography, biology and business? Also must have qualification to teach I.T are these jobs advertised with someone in mind? They must be

Maybe, but not necessarily. Sometimes a teacher that moves on/ retires (assuming that's the reason for the advert) may have had more than one qualification so ended up with a timetable reflecting that uncommon combination. Other times its because a teacher has moved into a subject that they are not necessarily qualified in to fill a gap and ended up there longterm.

If my job was advertised two years ago they would have needed someone to teach ag science, LCVP and computer programming. Not sure how they would have fared out with it. Go back a further few years (about 10) and I had a timetable one year with Chemistry and German on it. :pac:

Also in some small schools that only have 10 or 11 teachers on staff you'll find there aren't enough hours to fill a timetable even if a teacher has 2 popular subjects and they will have all sorts of stuff on it. A friend of mine taught in a secondary school a few years back with about 100 students in it and had science, irish, maths, PE, religion on her timetable.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the reply. What is your advice regarding applications for these random combinations,should I apply anyway? My registered subjects are biology and science. I have a large amount of chemistry in my degree and taught it during my Dip and now in England but I'm not recognised for chemistry with the TC

Thank you for the reply. What is your advice regarding applications for these random combinations,should I apply anyway? My registered subjects are biology and science. I have a large amount of chemistry in my degree and taught it during my Dip and now in England but I'm not recognised for chemistry with the TC

No harm in applying. The worst than can happen is that you will spend money printing and posting your application and not get a reply.

No harm in applying. The worst than can happen is that you will spend money printing and posting your application and not get a reply.

Story of my life ha ha

Advertisement