Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQTs - are you having any luck?

Options
  • 08-06-2014 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

DH has just qualified with a PGE. There is no sign of an interview despite many applications to VEC schools, other schools, cold calling etc. Barely getting acknowledged or not get acknowledged at all, for lengthy and sometimes costly applications.

He has an interview in England this week. We really don't want him to go away as we have a young family.

Has anyone any advice? hope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

It is incredibly early yet. Advertisements and interviews will be held all summer. You most likely won't hear back from prospective jobs, there are hundreds applying and schools are overwhelmed. Yes it seems rude, but I wouldn't let it get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

indeed no interviews yet. Cold calling will get you no replies and anyone handing in things for subbing now are honestly wasting their time as its very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DetteDublin

Ah thanks, I didn't realise it was so early in the process. I won't panic yet so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Ah thanks, I didn't realise it was so early in the process. I won't panic yet so.

Although if he doesn't have two good teaching subjects, now might be the time to consider getting an extra subject at night over the next year or two to better his job prospects (the closing dates for such courses tend to be around late June).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I know this does not relate to the OP's situation but I have to say if I were a young NQT I'd be straight to England to work there and gain experience. I was talking to my Principal recently (who taught in England for quite a few years in the past) and they could not understand why NQTs eschew full time jobs in England with the experience to be gained for a hit and miss situation over here.

One thing that does strike me is the amount of young people these days who tumble out of college already in full-blown long-term relationships which seems to ossify them regarding career movement. Then again I know a recently graduated Dip student who I asked recently what his plans were for the summer - I was really referring to his job application plans - and he told me of a holiday in America himself and his girlfriend were taking which I certainly could not afford even now never mind when I left college, so I suppose things are very different in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

It is still early. Bear in mind that the redeployment process only cleared at the end of May and many of the jobs advertised around then are only closing now.

Although it's a bit of an old wive's tale in that there's no way of knowing, it's often said that NQTs have a better chance in August when schools are more desperate and there's definitely nobody in situ than in June when there's a good chance they've somebody in mind or indeed they're competing with more teachers with several years' experience.

On the holiday thing, it's generally safe enough to go away once July comes around but I'd be back for August. Although most principals return the week of the LC results, ads can appear again from late July.

linguist wrote: »

On the holiday thing, it's generally safe enough to go away once July comes around but I'd be back for August.

Actually rather than unavailability for potential interviews it was the likely cost of the holiday for someone in college for the last four years and heading into a work situation in the coming year likely to range from unstable to non-existent that caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Sure, and yet I remember going on a holiday, albeit not long haul, at the same point. A lot of people at that age (sounding ancient now!) live in the moment and they're probably right too!

linguist wrote: »
    Sure, and yet I remember going on a holiday, albeit not long haul, at the same point. A lot of people at that age (sounding ancient now!) live in the moment and they're probably right too!

Fair point alright. Maybe I'm just envious!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I know this does not relate to the OP's situation but I have to say if I were a young NQT I'd be straight to England to work there and gain experience.

It's not required in every case. I qualified in 2012, got 18 hours RPT and was offered contract for 2013. Decided to interview for a different school and got it with 22 hours last year and have contract signed for the same this year. In the same school they hired another NQT (18 hours) in a different subject and he has also signed for next year too.

There is always hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Similar to unknowngirl, I qualified last year and got a 22hr contract straight away for the past year. I was actually offered a maternity leave in another school first, which I turned down after getting offered the Fixed-Term contract where I am. Still not sure what the story for September is though. I'd be fairly positive about there being hours, but how many, I don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Similar to unknowngirl, I qualified last year and got a 22hr contract straight away for the past year. I was actually offered a maternity leave in another school first, which I turned down after getting offered the Fixed-Term contract where I am. Still not sure what the story for September is though. I'd be fairly positive about there being hours, but how many, I don't know yet.

I have to agree with Caiseoipe and unknown girl. I qualified in 2011, got into a growing school and I got my permanancy in Jan this year after 2.5 years in the school. Something will work out!

There is always hope![/QUOTE]

Many thanks posters. "Desperation in August" - I like the sound of that!

Those NQT's who got work fairly quickly - do you mind me asking, did you get work where you did your teaching practice? Or was it just luck/great application that got your interview in the first place?

stop press! He's just got an interview - next week. Fingers, toes, everything crossed eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Good luck to your husband !
    I had two interviews this week last year , didn't get a job out of either but at least I had interviews. This year is quiet yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

I finished college in 2011. That September I had nothing. So went to local school and was called for subbing. I was there in and out for nearly a year. In September 2012, same had nothing. I went to school again for subbing and likewise was in and out for a year. Then, I interviewed for maternity leave and got it and now I going to starting my own hours in September. Delighted!

All I say for him to keep applying anyways. It can be disheartening sometimes especially when you hear no word back. However, if he get's nothing for September be available for subbing and you never know what can come from that. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

A young teacher came to us for an 8 hour sick leave job at Christmas. I rang her today to tell her we had 22 for her in Sept if she wanted it. Needless to say she was delighted. Two people turned down the small hours when I rang.

Moral of the story a little bit of work is better than no work at all.... And.... If youre not prepared to take less attractive jobs you may never get anything

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmcd545

I have applied for just over twenty jobs in the last two - three weeks and I've heard nothing. Would these schools have already held their interviews? Are interviews arranged as soon as the closing date for applications passes?
    I'm teaching in the UK since September as I was unsuccessful last year as an NQT and I definitely think I have developed as a teacher during my time here but I'm eager to get home to teach. Is it still very early days?

It's not required in every case. I qualified in 2012, got 18 hours RPT and was offered contract for 2013. Decided to interview for a different school and got it with 22 hours last year and have contract signed for the same this year. In the same school they hired another NQT (18 hours) in a different subject and he has also signed for next year too.

There is always hope!

To be fair I never suggested there was no hope. There were three NQTs appointed to permanent jobs on day one in my school four years ago (one of them even had a choice of permanent jobs between two schools), none of whom had any connection with the school whatsoever before that. So it can and does happen.

My point was regarding the reluctance of some young NQTs I have met personally to look for positions in England when opportunities appear to be readily available. That surprises me, that's all, especially in an era when travel is so well-established as the done thing. A friend of mind spent some years teaching just outside London and had the time of his life socially as well as being gainfully employed for all that time and being a prime candidate, with the experience gained, for the permanent job he got when he decided to come home.

England has quite a bad reputation in terms of discipline and extra paperwork, be it deserved or not. It's daunting for NQTs starting out teaching, so going into an unfamiliar education system that has a reputation of being extremely stressful for all teachers would be very daunting.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, while that may or may not be true, the people to whom I refer never mentioned discipline or reputation or unfamiliarity. It seems to be a llifestyle choice which I would heartily endorse normally as an admirable method of judgement. But is a lifestyle of unemployment in this country better than one of employment elsewhere? Maybe it is but I'd have an open mind on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To be fair I never suggested there was no hope.

That was directed at OP.

That was directed at OP.

Okay, fair enough. It was actually a direct reply to me - done unwittingly no doubt - as you'll see if you check back, which is why I replied to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Can i just ask - are all (or most) of these jobs that people have referred to in the last few posts based mainly in Dublin? Any of them outside of Dublin?

No, I'm not in Dublin anyways

Neither of the jobs I was interviewed for this time last year was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmcd545

I'm applying anywhere in leinster really.

So far I've had 4 rejection emails......

Well done for getting actual rejections. A lot don't bother informing us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A young teacher came to us for an 8 hour sick leave job at Christmas. I rang her today to tell her we had 22 for her in Sept if she wanted it. Needless to say she was delighted. Two people turned down the small hours when I rang.

Moral of the story a little bit of work is better than no work at all.... And.... If youre not prepared to take less attractive jobs you may never get anything

When did you work for 8 hours?

No the moral of your story is this - Be prepared to work for a pittance and a bit of a job and then be at the whim of the Principal/Deputy Principal if you wish to have even the slightest possibility of a full-time job.

Your patronising attitude does a disservice to management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Ok while I wouldn't take peters curt tone I do agree with him in a way

I am prepared to take small hrs BUT it has to be feasible too
    I couldn't take on 8hrs for a job an hour away spread out over 5full days. Not when I have to pay childcare (x2), travel costs, not to mention my mortgage etc out of a measly take home pay. It just wouldn't work financially. I am not afraid to " take less attractive jobs" but it has to be feasible and the way you've phrased your comments above suggest that if I'm not prepared to work at a loss than I'm somehow slacking off and not willing to graft hard - which I am.

8hrs is a pittance and should NEVER be dressed up as anything else

Advertisement