Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC History 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

how many words are minimum for an A standard essay

• Registered Users Posts: 19 walsh85

I want to know if I'm safe studying the following topics for History on wednesday:

Doc Q: All of them

Irish History: Parnell as a leader, HR development 1870-86, Suffragette Movement, Cultural Revival, Strike & Lockout

European: Stalin's use of propaganda & terror , Both Stalin & Mussolini's internal and external polices, Nazi propaganda& holocaust, Jarrow March

US- Vietnam, Moon landings, Civil rights and Social Problems

If im missing anything please let me know! Much appreciated!

What are you learning for the strike and lockout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

zvseire wrote: »
    how many words are minimum for an A standard essay

It doesn't really have anything to do with words really? It's all about the amount of points you make, you're aiming for 60 points.
    But personally I usually write 4-5 pages, which in my writing would be about 1500 words I think, and I always end up with a surplus of points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What should I learn for ordinary level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

What should I learn for ordinary level
    Case Studies and key personalities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

anyone see eoin jacksons predictions? Didnt think they were great tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mjackson37

ejayy wrote: »

they scared me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

ejayy wrote: »

he basically picked a document at random, I wouldn't rely that much on his predictions

Yeah I'm not doing what he says sounds like he doesn't know what he is at

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mjackson37

do you think i should mainly just focus on hitler and mussolini church state relations, nazi propaganda, coleraine controversy, sunningdale, johnson in vietnam and berlin/korea/cuba and obviously the documents?? :/ cannot wait till history is behind me

• Advertisement

Honestly I could not tell you! But they seem fairly big sections so you prob will be covered for at least one question :) remember we do get 4 choices which is fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

Anyone here planning on doing history next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joomie2

1. Sunningdale Agreement
    2. Nazi Propaganda
    3. Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam

Document. The Treaty Negotiations

I'm hoping the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King will come up, but that would be too perfect.

Fingers crossed! What does everyone else think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Anyone know what OL History is like? I can't be dealing with the stress of HL History.. Case studies and key personalities. Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sifnband

Joomie2 wrote: »
    1. Sunningdale Agreement
    2. Nazi Propaganda
    3. Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam

Document. The Treaty Negotiations

I'm hoping the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King will come up, but that would be too perfect.

Fingers crossed! What does everyone else think?

THIS would be an absolutely beautiful paper <3

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Anyone know what OL History is like? I can't be dealing with the stress of HL History.. Case studies and key personalities. Anything else?

Look through your exam papers! To be honest, I think you'll be fine with HL, judging by your posts (I know, I know). You do HL English, which I feel is a good benchmark :)

There's no point diving into an exam you don't know just because of 'stress'. Of course you should be stressed for state exams! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Divinations

I need to know if I'm safe gambling on these topics. I need advice, second opinions etc. Cheers in advance.

Document Question
    .Anglo Irish Treaty

Ireland 1870-1914
    .Parnall/Butt strengths/weaknesses/managing HR party/Land reforms
    .Cultural Nationalism

Europe 1870-1920
    .Industrialisation/economic crisis in Tsarist Russia
    .Causes of WW1
    .Literature of WW1

Europe 1920-1945
    .every aspect of Stalin/Lenin's rule (internal&external policies, industrialisation, collectivisation, show trials, War Communism, NEP etc.)

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Look through your exam papers! To be honest, I think you'll be fine with HL, judging by your posts (I know, I know). You do HL English, which I feel is a good benchmark :)

There's no point diving into an exam you don't know just because of 'stress'. Of course you should be stressed for state exams! :eek:

I know very little though and I hate history. I don't know why I did it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I know very little though and I hate history. I don't know why I did it :(

Well, unless you have 6 Higher level subjects leaving it out you should get cramming! You don't need to focus on much to get a C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roundtree

I need to know if I'm safe gambling on these topics. I need advice, second opinions etc. Cheers in advance.

Document Question
    .Anglo Irish Treaty

Ireland 1870-1914
    .Parnall/Butt strengths/weaknesses/managing HR party/Land reforms
    .Cultural Nationalism

Europe 1870-1920
    .Industrialisation/economic crisis in Tsarist Russia
    .Causes of WW1
    .Literature of WW1

Europe 1920-1945
    .every aspect of Stalin/Lenin's rule (internal&external policies, industrialisation, collectivisation, show trials, War Communism, NEP etc.)

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'd try and learn the church-state relations for Mussolini and Hitler. One of the easiest essays and it's fairly likely to come up or at least be relevant in some question. Nazi propaganda and Hitlers foreign policy aren't too bad either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

How hard is it to get an A? Anyone got an A in the mock? God I hate history though I need at least an A2/B1 :(

Will I be able to go down to OL on the day tomorrow? I filled in my project as HL

• Registered Users Posts: 23 deedeebb

does anybody know if the Hungarian uprising came up on both deb and examcraft papers for division and realignment????????

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

Will I be able to go down to OL on the day tomorrow? I filled in my project as HL

can anyone answer this? I am in the exact same predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

For tomorrow I have;

For NI - Sunningdale, Colereine and welfare state.

D&D - Mussolini internal and external policies, Nazi propaganda and Lenin/Stalin.

US - moon landings/advancements in technology, foreign policy 1971-1989 and Johnson in Vietnam.

I really hope that's able to get me an A. Don't know what I'll do if one doesn't come up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HitlerFTW

can anyone answer this? I am in the exact same predicament

Yeah you can if it's the same as all other subjects! I really don't think you should though, ordinary level focus on key personalities that we would've left out, and think about your Research Topic! That's sure to bring you up from a D to a C if you're that worried, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shanemac28

Is this fairly safe?

D&D: Church-State relations in Italy&Germany
    Propaganda/Terror in Italy&Germany

N.I: Coleraine
    Republics response to the troubles
    Terrence O'Neill

U.S.A: MLK as a leader
    Johnson & Vietnam
    Berlin, Korea, Cuba
    McCarthyism, Race Relations and anti-war movement

Are these safe, if not, what else should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

AKMCD2014 wrote: »
    For tomorrow I have;

For NI - Sunningdale, Colereine and welfare state.

D&D - Mussolini internal and external policies, Nazi propaganda and Lenin/Stalin.

US - moon landings/advancements in technology, foreign policy 1971-1989 and Johnson in Vietnam.

I really hope that's able to get me an A. Don't know what I'll do if one doesn't come up :(

Honestly, I would leave Welfare State for now, it came up last year and is alot less likely to appear than Direct Rule/Civil Rights, which hasn't been up in a good while. Have you done anything about Mussolini's rise to power? That could definitely come up instead of internal/external policies. I'd also have a look at Cold War, hasn't been up in a while either. All of the stuff you've learnt could come up, but if you're going for an A, I'd try to have some backups in case they screw you over, especially like they did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

miissjuly wrote: »
    How hard is it to get an A? Anyone got an A in the mock? God I hate history though I need at least an A2/B1 :(

Got an A1 in the mock. There's no much you can do now. The main thing is constantly doing questions and answering those questions consistently throughout your answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 HitlerFTW

Shanemac28 wrote: »
    Is this fairly safe?

D&D: Church-State relations in Italy&Germany
    Propaganda/Terror in Italy&Germany

N.I: Coleraine
    Republics response to the troubles
    Terrence O'Neill

U.S.A: MLK as a leader
    Johnson & Vietnam
    Berlin, Korea, Cuba
    McCarthyism, Race Relations and anti-war movement

Are these safe, if not, what else should I do?

I think you should do Lenin and Stalin enforcement of communism.. They haven't been up together in a while and D&D is such a broad section..

Advertisement