Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC History 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Putting in WW2 for Stalin was cheeky

I know the last time they asked about Russian involvement in The war was in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Yes I'm aware I was just stating what I saw. Ugh, I'm fairly disgusted now, been getting 100% in all my essays since 5th year and was hoping for an A but now I don't know.

I'm in the exact same situation as you! But the way that question was phrased you'd be allowed to put a LOT more emphasis on one than the other! So even if you just referenced Anglo Irish you shouldn't do too badly

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Worst paper ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Did anyone do 'Johnson's strengths and weaknesses as a political leader'? Just wondering, does the word 'political' change the interpretation of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

miissjuly wrote: »
    Worst paper ever.

Higher or Ord? I heard both where good.
    I thought it was a good paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Ugh that was awful! Northern Ireland was very vague and D&D was challenging! Only liked USA!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mono2

My heart sank when there was no foreign policy for the US! And Belfast for the document.. Sneaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

You mightn't get an A1, but could still pull out an A2. Average mark for RSR is 93%, so odds are you got >93 on that, and Document should yield you 90+ if you did it well. If your other essays were good, they could yield you 90+ too, meaning that even with a 60-70mk essay, you could still pull out an A2 or an A1 if you're lucky/ marking scheme was in your favour. You should still be happy that you've finished the worst exam in the LC, I know I am.:D

Yeah thanks, fingered crossed anyways. I felt fairly good about my other essays anyways so maybe it will be okay

Did anyone do 'Johnson's strengths and weaknesses as a political leader'? Just wondering, does the word 'political' change the interpretation of the question?

I did and I don't think it should. Anything he achieved as a polictian is valid I'm sure. What did you talk about out of interest?

plmko wrote: »
    I did and I don't think it should. Anything he achieved as a polictian is valid I'm sure. What did you talk about out of interest?

2 Paragraphs on his impact on urban poverty and the economy, 1 paragraph on his role in Civil Rights, also mentioned how this would increase support for democrats from minorities as republicans opposed the Civil Rights Act, the rest was Vietnam and his role in it. Basically conclued that while his domestic policies were successful and he had great strengths at home, Vietnam tarnished his presidency, forced him to stop running in the '68 election and was a great weakness for him as a leader. Concluded that the negatives of Vietnam outweighed the positives at home, and his presidency was a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jessloubeat

I really dont know what to think. I did Jarrow, Lyndon Johnson and Parnell but only wrote about 3 1/2 on Parnell and Johnson :( I really wanted Nazi propaganda and Montgomery bus boycott!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scareyc

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    I know the last time they asked about Russian involvement in The war was in 2007.

It was horrible. I had to pull out stuff that I remembered from junior cert to do it since we barely looked at the evens of ww2 in school...

I said his strengths were with his domestic policy with civil rights, great society programme and education and infrastructure. I said his weakness was his handling of Vietnam war and how it created a credibility gap, anti war movement and for the us to lose money, soldiers and global credibility..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

WhatzLogin wrote: »
    Higher or Ord? I heard both where good.
    I thought it was a good paper.

Higher. Every year whatever is predicted comes up this year was just bad.

2 Paragraphs on his impact on urban poverty and the economy, 1 paragraph on his role in Civil Rights, also mentioned how this would increase support for democrats from minorities as republicans opposed the Civil Rights Act, the rest was Vietnam and his role in it. Basically conclued that while his domestic policies were successful and he had great strengths at home, Vietnam tarnished his presidency, forced him to stop running in the '68 election and was a great weakness for him as a leader. Concluded that the negatives of Vietnam outweighed the positives at home, and his presidency was a failure.

Sounds really good! Mine is quite similar only no urban poverty and instead I did his contribution to space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    do ye think economy, lbj and vietnam + race relations(including montgomery bus boycott) will cover me for america?

What kind of magician are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sonic_u

K6Y wrote: »
    Pretty bad exam, NI was rubbish, Europe was horrible but luckily for me I knew church state relations, no treaty and no foreign policy in America??

Vietnam couldve been discussed under the strengths and weaknesses of Johnson but you would've had to discuss some domestic policy as well

Sounds really good! Mine is quite similar only no urban poverty and instead I did his contribution to space :)

Thanks, really hoping this and Church/State will boost my marks, seeing as I had to do Cultural Identity which went well and had lots of detail but is always a nasty question.

For the Stalin question do you think I'm okay for having talked about the war only for the final paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

For the Stalin question do you think I'm okay for having talked about the war only for the final paragraph?

Might be, what else did you talk about tho

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

I thought it was okay, I even had to ask for EXTRA paper! First time in the LC so far!
    I was quite happy with the document as i looked over it this morning ...
    Northern Ireland, was kind of gross No Coleraine? couldn't do the sunningdale as we never studied the anglo irish agreement ... did Bernadette Devlin!
    Dictatorship and Democracy wasn't great luckily I had studied both Hitler and Mussolini so i had a decent essay for Church-State Relations though i wrote way more on Hitler than Mussolini, is that okay??
    and USA where was Vietnam and The Cold war and foreign policy?? I did the Space Race question which was actually quite nice tbh ... Hopefully now it was actually okay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

this was my LBJ essay plan think I'll be grand? I did mention that his weaknesses outweighed his strengths

1.rusk and McNamara influence on his decisions
    2.gulf of Tonkin - strength in controlling congress - popularity increase
    3.success in 1964 election
    4.operation rolling thunder - weakness is misunderstanding war
    5.fall in morale, fall in johnsons popularity
    6.tet offensive & resignation
    7.civil rights & great society

Can you tell I was hoping for Vietnam :pac: I kept referring to the question so I hope it was alright

WhatzLogin wrote: »
    Might be, what else did you talk about tho

Purges, Show trials, Economy, Trying to maintain the communist state and Stalin's paranoia etc and I related them all to the question okay so hopefully it's okay? I did it in a chronological order so it makes sense in the context of the question and it was 4 and half pages also

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

for soviet question i spoke mainly about lenin unfortunatel, not reading the question correctly, didnt mention the world war at all, for johnson i spoke of his reasons for entering vietnam, reasons for withdrawing too, vietnamese tactics, his own failed tactics and the difficult conditions in vietnam, for social and economic northern ireland i spoke about coleraine, civil rights, burntollet bridge, the power the unionists had in voting, housing and the power of the ruc, i ****ed up didnt i?

a0ifee wrote: »
    this was my LBJ essay plan think I'll be grand? I did mention that his weaknesses outweighed his strengths

1.rusk and McNamara influence on his decisions
    2.gulf of Tonkin - strength in controlling congress - popularity increase
    3.success in 1964 election
    4.operation rolling thunder - weakness is misunderstanding war
    5.fall in morale, fall in johnsons popularity
    6.tet offensive & resignation
    7.civil rights & great society

Can you tell I was hoping for Vietnam :pac: I kept referring to the question so I hope it was alright

Did you say 'resignation' in the essay at all? Johnson never resigned, just stopped running. Otherwise, I'd say that's grand. I presume the majority of people who did Johnson did Vietnam in length anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Just out of interest did John Hume come up?

I thought it was okay, I even had to ask for EXTRA paper! First time in the LC so far!
    I was quite happy with the document as i looked over it this morning ...
    Northern Ireland, was kind of gross No Coleraine? couldn't do the sunningdale as we never studied the anglo irish agreement ... did Bernadette Devlin!
    Dictatorship and Democracy wasn't great luckily I had studied both Hitler and Mussolini so i had a decent essay for Church-State Relations though i wrote way more on Hitler than Mussolini, is that okay??
    and USA where was Vietnam and The Cold war and foreign policy?? I did the Space Race question which was actually quite nice tbh ... Hopefully now it was actually okay!

yeah that's grand for hitler and mussolini! Once you mention both of them its grand ,do no need to be 50/50 . I did a paragraph on mussolini two on hitler and one comparing the two of them,Vietnam could have been covered in the Johnson question as a weakness .

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Did you say 'resignation' in the essay at all? Johnson never resigned, just stopped running. Otherwise, I'd say that's grand. I presume the majority of people who did Johnson did Vietnam in length anyway.

I actually can't remember :o I did mention he stopped running though

I studied the whole history course (basically) because exams are unpredictable! But there were some girls in my class who listened to what my teacher was predicting and only studied what he predicted and not one single thing he predicted came up ... don't know whether to feel bad for them or happy that i'm not an idiot and i didn't trust his predictions!
    Sonic_u wrote: »
    yeah that's grand for hitler and mussolini! Once you mention both of them its grand ,do no need to be 50/50 . I did a paragraph on mussolini two on hitler and one comparing the two of them,Vietnam could have been covered in the Johnson question as a weakness .

I wrote 4 pages on Hitler including my opening now... and one and a half pages on Mussolini including the closing paragraph ...
    Yeah but you would of had to of talked about domestic as well and i preferred the space race question anyway, i was hoping it would come up!

I wrote 4 pages on Hitler including my opening now... and one and a half pages on Mussolini including the closing paragraph ...
    Yeah but you would of had to of talked about domestic as well and i preferred the space race question anyway, i was hoping it would come up!

yeah the space race question was nice alright!

• Advertisement

Sonic_u wrote: »
    yeah the space race question was nice alright!

overall, even though some sections involved a bit more thinking and use of knowledge because the questions weren't straight forward i think it was a nice paper!

Advertisement