Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC History 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Oh my.... Tough day today! Hoping my babes from Russia come up for dictatorship 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mono2

RHardy wrote: »
    I have done Lenin, Montgomery, apprentice boys, LJ and Vietnam, American foreign policy 1945-89. This is what I've done so far. I don't do french so i have the morning to cram. I'm aiming for a C1 here, any thoughts?

Had to repost this sorry
    Anything on the fascist dictators? Apparently mussolini's a good bet this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RHardy

mono2 wrote: »
    Anything on the fascist dictators? Apparently mussolini's a good bet this year?

I've done propaganda too. Does any one think that is likely? Will look over church state relations and Mussolini this morning. How do I look to be set?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 richiemcs

I've done propaganda too. Does any one think that is likely? Will look over church state relations and Mussolini this morning. How do I look to be set?

Realistically they could ask you literally anything. I'm in the same boat with not many essays covered, but at the end of the day I'll need a bit of luck. It's hard to tell in history whether you're "set" or not unless you've covered virtually everything. Good luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RHardy

richiemcs wrote: »
    Realistically they could ask you literally anything. I'm in the same boat with not many essays covered, but at the end of the day I'll need a bit of luck. It's hard to tell in history whether you're "set" or not unless you've covered virtually everything. Good luck anyway

Cheers. Any recommendations I should try to cram in this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 richiemcs

Cheers. Any recommendations I should try to cram in this morning?

I'm trying to cram in a few easy ones to have me covered - Coleraine, O'Neill, Heaney, LBJ & Vietnam, Berlin, Stalin, and France 1920-40. Praying to god that gets me through it. Treaty Negotiations for documents as well is most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 29 b3rnade11e

Anyone with expectations for Movements for Reform?Maybe Parnell and Butt or Land Agitation and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

feeling a bit worried for this one! i have the three documents done just in case, I'm completely ignoring anything to do with racial conflict and CRM, i'm doing us foreign policy, korea, berlin, cuba and vietnam and LBJ... and space race as moon landing is pretty tipped this year!
    for Dictatorship and Democracy i'm doing propaganda in fascists, stalin, rise of nazi's and Mussolini
    for NI i'm going to look back over sunningdale, coleraine and civil rights...

should i be okay??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spacefly123

feeling a bit worried for this one! i have the three documents done just in case, I'm completely ignoring anything to do with racial conflict and CRM, i'm doing us foreign policy, korea, berlin, cuba and vietnam and LBJ... and space race as moon landing is pretty tipped this year!
    for Dictatorship and Democracy i'm doing propaganda in fascists, stalin, rise of nazi's and Mussolini
    for NI i'm going to look back over sunningdale, coleraine and civil rights...

should i be okay??

pretty sure im doing the exact same except im doing movements for political reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

pretty sure im doing the exact same except im doing movements for political reform.

good, that's reassuring! History's in my top 3 subjects so hopefully if there's anything else i'll have a decent idea of what to write!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Just saw the paper :D pretty shocked about the documents question being Belfast and not the Treaty but I think the sweet Parnell question kind of makes up for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Church state relations and sunningdale and anglo Irish agreement yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LC767

Can I ask...you know in the france question, when it said "fortunes" did that mean what good things happened in France or just what things happened, good or bad? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

pleased with that paper, wasn't expecting that document glad I looked at it! Nasty dictatorship & democracy section mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Beautiful paper... thought the treaty would be the doc but happy enough regardless...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Lots of looks of despair in my exam centre today! Interesting to put Race Relations on up to Raegan's time though. NI wasn't so nice, most people ended up doing Sunningdale and Anglo Irish, Dict. and Dem. challenging enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

Happy with everything but the Northern Irish section. I did the Sunningdale agreement question but we never covered the Anglo Irish Agreement in class, so I couldn't reference it obviously. What are the max marks I can get in the question? I'm a bit gutted because the rest of the exam went well and I'm afraid it will drag me down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Northern Ireland, WTF was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sifnband

Happy with everything but the Northern Irish section. I did the Sunningdale agreement question but we never covered the Anglo Irish Agreement in class, so I couldn't reference it obviously. What are the max marks I can get in the question? I'm a bit gutted because the rest of the exam went well and I'm afraid it will drag me down :(
    I am in the exact same situation

If you were grand content-wise, you should be ok in the CM, but without referencing a specific part of a question you will lose quite a bit of marks in OE.

• Advertisement

If you were grand content-wise, you should be ok in the CM, but without referencing a specific part of a question you will lose quite a bit of marks in OE.

Yeah I've looked up marking schemes with questions where they want you to reference both and the max is CM = 50, and OE is still 40 I think. And I did reference the question so fingers crossed it wont affect my grade too badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Did OL
    But it was lovely

Yeah I've looked up marking schemes with questions where they want you to reference both and the max is CM = 50, and OE is still 40 I think. And I did reference the question so fingers crossed it wont affect my grade too badly.

Not being pessimistic, but I'd say very few people have only referenced one event when asked to reference 2, and still got 40/40 on the OE. It's possible, but, since the OE is meant to reflect on how well you structured your answer as well as answered the question, I doubt you can get 40 marks on the OE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Did OL
    But it was lovely

So I'm guessing you eventually found out the format! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Pretty bad exam, NI was rubbish, Europe was horrible but luckily for me I knew church state relations, no treaty and no foreign policy in America??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

read the soviet question wrong and mainly wrote about lenin, until i realised on my third page that it said from 1924, lenin DIED in 1924 unfortunately, i got two pages of stalin but alot more detail and content went into my analysis of lenin, spoke about his background, the civil war, red terror, war communism, ignored NEP, went straight to stalin, did his policies, show trials, cult of stalin, etc- can i still get an A2? will it have a big effect ony my result?

Not being pessimistic, but I'd say very few people have only referenced one event when asked to reference 2, and still got 40/40 on the OE. It's possible, but, since the OE is meant to reflect on how well you structured your answer as well as answered the question, I doubt you can get 40 marks on the OE

Yes I'm aware I was just stating what I saw. Ugh, I'm fairly disgusted now, been getting 100% in all my essays since 5th year and was hoping for an A but now I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

I thought it was fine the only thing that I found particularly difficult was Northern Ireland I had prepared sunningdale but knew very little about the Anglo Irish agreement so I did the cultural identity question and just talked about the apprentice boys, GAA and the orange order. I was really just writing anything down that even remotely made sense to the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Putting in WW2 for Stalin was cheeky

• Advertisement

Yes I'm aware I was just stating what I saw. Ugh, I'm fairly disgusted now, been getting 100% in all my essays since 5th year and was hoping for an A but now I don't know.

You mightn't get an A1, but could still pull out an A2. Average mark for RSR is 93%, so odds are you got >93 on that, and Document should yield you 90+ if you did it well. If your other essays were good, they could yield you 90+ too, meaning that even with a 60-70mk essay, you could still pull out an A2 or an A1 if you're lucky/ marking scheme was in your favour. You should still be happy that you've finished the worst exam in the LC, I know I am.:D

Advertisement