Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Change to Charter-Please Read****

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Overheal wrote: »
    Frankly does it matter where the conversation is?

Given the current traffic in the café/politics v what it would be in AH, it would seem to, to a lot a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nodin wrote: »
    Given the current traffic in the café/politics v what it would be in AH, it would seem to, to a lot a lot of people.

Thats kind of irrelevant isnt it? There is so much signal to noise in AH that I never read a fraction of it anyway. Interesting threads that become sadly predictable: 1 opening page of sweeping statements and thanks whoring, a couple pages of late-comers with their "wow chop their testicles off" commentary and by the time the thread has aged 6-12 hours its become the same 3-4 posters sniping at each other over the most inane bs you'd ever heard. Or, similarly, an otherwise "pleasant" thread will escalate to abortions and hitler by the end of the business day.

How many people honestly sat there, saw a thread about how it's 17 degrees outside and say well sh*t I better get a cuppa tea and read all 200 of these posts?

I don't see how the traffic in AH is seen as a bonus, it makes it impossible to read the content. There are over 60 threads that are both active and been posted in within the last 24 hours. I'm sure a Mod of the forum can actually humor me with the actual postcount metrics. Thats multiple pages of threads to sift through, and it seems like to better serve the people reading and contributing that you would filter a lot of that out into proper channels no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I don't see how the traffic in AH is seen as a bonus, it makes it impossible to read the content. There are over 60 threads that are both active and been posted in within the last 24 hours. I'm sure a Mod of the forum can actually humor me with the actual postcount metrics. Thats multiple pages of threads to sift through, and it seems like to better serve the people reading and contributing that you would filter a lot of that out into proper channels no?

You do know that this is only an internet forum? We're not doing anything other than chewing the cud. Dev hasn't just reorganised the cabinet.
    We can't make everyone happy and we will never try.

I'll say no more.

Thats kind of irrelevant isnt it? There is so much signal to noise in AH that I never read a fraction of it anyway. Interesting threads that become sadly predictable: 1 opening page of sweeping statements and thanks whoring, a couple pages of late-comers with their "wow chop their testicles off" commentary and by the time the thread has aged 6-12 hours its become the same 3-4 posters sniping at each other over the most inane bs you'd ever heard. Or, similarly, an otherwise "pleasant" thread will escalate to abortions and hitler by the end of the business day.

How many people honestly sat there, saw a thread about how it's 17 degrees outside and say well sh*t I better get a cuppa tea and read all 200 of these posts? ?

Doesn't bother me that much. Theres a reporting system for what strays outside the line. Plus I go where the thread is, which isn't the case for a lot of people.

Well they fund this site through advertising and that requires traffic......less traffic, less revenue. At some stage things become terminal and that's the end of that.

Secondly there's the whole notion of 'if its not broke, why make a balls of it'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

...I'm sure a Mod of the forum can actually humor me with the actual postcount metrics.....

Over 1300 posts in the last 24hrs.
    Pretty quiet compared to usual. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yes

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Yes

why

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

why

Apparently people ain't that interested in politics.Maybe it's more about the conversation than the subject.

kneemos wrote: »
    Apparently people ain't that interested in politics.Maybe it's more about the conversation than the subject.

In that case no need to get bent out of shape if any discussion will do. Carry on with bemoaning the sub 20C weather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It depends OH. If you look to subdivide and categorise conversation not so much and that's cool, it's the nature of a website/forum like Boards. It starts off with a few forums and then conversations get categorised and forums are formed and all that. Again that's great. It means folks can have a choice of where to talk about a particular subject.

However I'd also look at how the conversation, or some conversations form in the first place. In a way After Hours is, more, has become a victim of its own success. In the good/bad[delete as applicable] old days AH was the "joke forum", the relaxed, who cares forum. The forum looked upon sniffily by many. Over the years that has been tackled by the community and the mods. Piss blasting your ma went out, as did overt sexism, as did all sorts of other guff common in the earlier days. That has been a major improvement and the externally sniffy got a little less sniffy, but in a way this has come back to bite a little.

Now the forum is general and a little jokey and much more relevant and has the biggest audience on Boards.ie and that snuck up on some and some are wondering how to translate that into now dead, or dying forums like Humanities, the Politics cafe and no doubt others. There are a fair few very popular and generalistic enough forums hereabouts that have maybe 30-40 at most people actually driving the forum(and more than a few with significantly fewer than that). If they left the forums would die. In After Hours that figure would be more like a couple of hundred and it's more a rolling figure.

Like I said the real improvements that have happened to After Hours have made it a victim of its own success.
    I get that After Hours is convenient, being the first link under rec and all, but forum subscription makes that a non-issue. I subscribe to 8 different tech forums, so it really doesn't matter which of those someone wants to start a thread, it will get read. Similarly I have 3 politics forum subscribed.
    I do similar, however I don't assume others do. I would suspect that more just dive in at random, or have maybe two or three forums subscribed. Indeed I'd bet the farm a fair number reading this even are wondering how to subscribe.
    Thats kind of irrelevant isnt it? There is so much signal to noise in AH that I never read a fraction of it anyway. Interesting threads that become sadly predictable:
    TBH O, you could say that of many the forum, or at least certain touchstone subjects within same. IMH and IME the main difference with AH is in volume, the tune is pretty simlar.

True. And there are forums you can do that in, where the traffic volume and posting speed is lesser. I suppose it's a personal thing too O. EG I much prefer more voices in the room, I prefer more volume and opinions flying all over the shop, so AH type threads appeal more to my personality, Then again I'm all stream of consciousness/bullshíte at high speed looking for the diamond in the rough that makes me go either "WTF, GTFO, or No way, didn't know that, cool. Put it another way I rattled this guff out in under 6 minutes. No brains got in the way. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

why

Well as has been said by others already, its the people who use the forum that make the conversation and again most of the topics that were moved fall under a general discuss topic as this is boards.ie and people have always talked about whats going on here in ireland in after hours and it was never an issue before. And if the mods are fed up doing what they signed up for then how about get new mods instead of butchering the hub of boards.ie

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Well as has been said by others already, its the people who use the forum that make the conversation and again most of the topics that were moved fall under a general discuss topic as this is boards.ie and people have always talked about whats going on here in ireland in after hours and it was never an issue before. And if the mods are fed up doing what they signed up for then how about get new mods instead of butchering the hub of boards.ie

Well naturally it is the hub and when a major news event makes waves I deliberately come here to check the site's pulse on the matter, admittedly.

At the same time it's crazy to me how there are so many conversations in the same room. No one person can possibly be tuning into more than 1/3rd of it? If that?

Maybe I'm speaking too soon but there are a plenty of message boards out there that suffer from that situation, where traffic inevitably reaches a critical mass where the format (vBulletin) doesn't have the layout to support it all. If Sierra Oscar were reading right now I think he'd agree, he also mods the forums on steampowered.com and they are a holy mess, where instead of tens of active threads in a forum you can easily have 100s, and more or less because after you get to a certain point users don't even bother to glance at it all to see if their topic is already raised and they just post away, and the readers don't check it out either so they respond away, until you have dozens of live threads on the same topic.

Think I'm wrong? 2 active threads about the ****ing weather already; 2 active threads about hay fever (and a thread about hay protesting?). That's active in the last 24 hours, god forbid trying to check the last week (though for arguments sake, 229 threads have been active in AH in the last week alone if you exclude a notice and the charter). Lets just assume all previous discussions someone tried to culture got lost somewhere. Hell I've started a fair few threads in AH in my day, gone to bed, woke up, done my routine and when I return to the site they are gone, sometimes pages back. So, for the most part I've stopped bothering to contribute. Thats my feedback: I used to be as regular to AH as they come, but the massive uptick in threads and posts honestly scared me off. And to be fair, over the years I've put my own volume in here - over 9000 posts. The last year or so I have fallen off the radar in here though.

If the AH crowd is happy with that standard so be it. I think its a mistake; theres a difference between thriving and growing out of control.

If the AH crowd is happy with that standard so be it. I think its a mistake; theres a difference between thriving and growing out of control.

There is, but I don't think removing all politics threads has anything to do with it one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well if politics is gone can we flush this one down the line to the Anthropology, Sociology & cultural forum also...

Or is this just perfect for AH now that all the sensible politicos have left.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Well if politics is gone can we flush this one down the line to the Anthropology, Sociology & cultural forum also...

Who were these fabled folk you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Armelodie wrote: »

You must have mistaken this thread for the reported post function.

This isn't a general feedback thread. Please report threads or posts which you have any issues with.

Thread has been unstuck and closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement