Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mame of shame

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, he can make good stuff, this cab is both practical and at a good price, needs to be more of these, less of those...

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/mame-arcade-cabinet/7043557?touch_off

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭PaulPriest

Lemming wrote: »
    There may also be a problem with the two-player button selector in that there isn't a second joystick ...

No problem there.

Plenty of older games where 1P/2P take turns on the same stick, but distinct start buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PaulPriest wrote: »
    No problem there.

Plenty of older games where 1P/2P take turns on the same stick, but distinct start buttons.

Not many arcade games were like that tbh, that was more home conversions of arcade games that added a 2 player mode. That and the likes of Pacman and Galaxians.
    A little rejigging of the control panel real estate would fit an extra joystick in, with four buttons per player, perfect for old school fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, he can make good stuff, this cab is both practical and at a good price, needs to be more of these, less of those...

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/mame-arcade-cabinet/7043557?touch_off
    He seems to have a box full of buttons and blindly picks them out and installs them with no colour co-ord what so ever .that wrecks my head tbh

• Advertisement

Not many arcade games were like that tbh, that was more home conversions of arcade games that added a 2 player mode. That and the likes of Pacman and Galaxians.
    A little rejigging of the control panel real estate would fit an extra joystick in, with four buttons per player, perfect for old school fun.

I'd need to go and write a bit of xquery over the mame listxml (although need to watch out for the ones where they support 2P controls, but only when a DIP for cocktail is set), but the first 11 (out of 11) games I thought to try all behave that way: Donkey Kong, Mappy, Pengo, Pop-Eye, Pop Flamer, Space Fury, Pac-Land, Carnival, Looping, Fire-Trap, Spiders. The 12th I tried was Dambusters, and that's only 1P...
    Must be 1000-2000 games (incl clones) in MAME like that (although some vector and mostly vertical I'd think, since they're going to be from the golden age and generally vertical+cocktail).

PaulPriest wrote: »
    I'd need to go and write a bit of xquery over the mame listxml (although need to watch out for the ones where they support 2P controls, but only when a DIP for cocktail is set), but the first 11 (out of 11) games I thought to try all behave that way: Donkey Kong, Mappy, Pengo, Pop-Eye, Pop Flamer, Space Fury, Pac-Land, Carnival, Looping, Fire-Trap, Spiders. The 12th I tried was Dambusters, and that's only 1P...
    Must be 1000-2000 games (incl clones) in MAME like that (although some vector and mostly vertical I'd think, since they're going to be from the golden age and generally vertical+cocktail).

Actually, I'd forgotten all the late-eighties turn-based scrollers: The New Zealand Story, Bonze Adventure, Dr Toppel, Rainbow Islands. Again, just OOTTOMH.

Actually, I just used "ROMLister" to scan a combination of -listxml / nplayers.ini and looking for those games with 2-player alt, less than 4 buttons and came up with 952 unique games and 2205 incl. clones. Some of those will force 2P controls regardless, but plenty use the same stick or can be changed with DIPs.
    Examples I hadn't thought of: 1942, R-Type, Strider, Ghosts'n Goblins, Mad Gear.

http://www.adverts.ie/7821948

Oh dear.
    Dat control panel.
    Well,
    Could be worse.
    Could have a Destiny stuck on the side....

Deary deary me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hilarious
    €500, I wouldn't even take that if he gave me €500

• Advertisement

And the hits just keep coming!

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/custom-built-arcade-machine-mame/7813184

More control panel hijinks!
    This weeks episode "How can fit everything into a standard upright CP?"

http://www.adverts.ie/7821948

Oh dear.
    Dat control panel.
    Well,
    Could be worse.
    Could have a Destiny stuck on the side....

UPDATE! : Here it is in action, prepare for awesomeness!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And the hits just keep coming!

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/custom-built-arcade-machine-mame/7813184

More control panel hijinks!
    This weeks episode "How can fit everything into a standard upright CP?"

NDAxYjllN2FjN2NjYmVjYzcyYjM3MjdjNGRhYjA4ZmKsD1OytKVxslAoYlSWjztNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vN2E4ZWM4YjQ1MjI3MjE3OWY4Nzg4ODE1NjhkODI0OWVlMDgyY2M2MWUxYzAwZTkwZWI0N2NmZmQwMzM5OTgzYi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

That looks... comfy... :pac:

ah lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Star Lord wrote: »
    NDAxYjllN2FjN2NjYmVjYzcyYjM3MjdjNGRhYjA4ZmKsD1OytKVxslAoYlSWjztNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vN2E4ZWM4YjQ1MjI3MjE3OWY4Nzg4ODE1NjhkODI0OWVlMDgyY2M2MWUxYzAwZTkwZWI0N2NmZmQwMzM5OTgzYi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

That looks... comfy... :pac:

What, no pinball buttons on the sides??
    :D

Steve X2 wrote: »
    What, no pinball buttons on the sides??
    :D

I'd say he has the dremel out as we speak!
    Also, he needs a DDR dance plate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

"THE MACHINE"

"THE MACHINE"

Didn't have room for "The Overpopulated Control Panel"

That cp... What the hell were they thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Must be a Grosse Pointe Blank fan.

Although the one in the film is far better built...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Somewhere there is a contest to create the crappest cab that we're just not aware of. That's the only logical explanation for some of those travesties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Of you recall you have the option in Doom to make the game window smaller so it'll run on slower PCs, I'm hoping the teeny monitor is some sort of physical homage to the concept, rather than a twonk using a 14" monitor.

Ah lads,
    I was laughing at this post on reddit.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/cade/comments/33gpit/my_cabinet_restoration_project_in_pictures/

Reading the comments I get to this.

[–]darkphoenixfox 0 points 11 hours ago
    The CRT was half broken, It was giving me issues and I'm not an electrician, nor I know anyone in Ireland who could have serviced it. It was a painful decision, I kept the CRT for more than 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks like the place vintage cabinets go to die :(

Please report comments or posts that bash on people for MAME or converting cabs - especially people who are being totally disrespectful.

Me arse!

I'm actually afraid to click on some of those threads for fear of what lies within.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Whatever about swapping out the CRT (which I can understand - not condone) but that control panel ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Whatever about swapping out the CRT (which I can understand - not condone) but that control panel ffs...

Just going to say that. Those silverline cabs, I think anyway, are really nice and give a great base for a custom machine. Id like to get one once I have all my other projects done and dusted

But he just ****ed it up in an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Just going to say that. Those silverline cabs, I think anyway, are really nice and give a great base for a custom machine. Id like to get one once I have all my other projects done and dusted

But he just ****ed it up in an act.

They are great cabinets and the board location is in a perfect spot too to swap around different ones.

• Advertisement

Yeah, always loved the Silverlines, they're probably the ones most of us grew up playing!

Advertisement