Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy Football 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I would just say majority wins. Whilst i would like all of the players to participate in the poll i cant see that happening. Having the poll public we can discard the non players and after that majority wins

Probably best to start the threads early and let them stay open until August. That way it gives people no excuses and gives those who browse infrequently a chance also.

Also best for ALL GMs to encourage guys to vote in league threads and through the League page on NFL.com. That way it makes sure as many vote as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Been getting my qb selection wrong all year so said I'd come here for advise.

playoff game do I stick with matt ryan @ GB or do I pick up shaun hill against Washington?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

gufc21 wrote: »
    Been getting my qb selection wrong all year so said I'd come here for advise.

playoff game do I stick with matt ryan @ GB or do I pick up shaun hill against Washington?

Well if it's any sort of advise, I have thought done the exact same thing. My QB Rivers has been great all year (bar one game) but have dropped him (playing the Patriots) in favour of Shaun Hill (v Washington)

Now I know how Mike Pettine feels.

I realise I may be overthinking and being too cute, and will feel bad if it goes wrong. The safe play would be to stick what got you there, but I feel Hill has the potential to have an average to great line, while Rivers, I feel is in the bad to average range.

It kind of depends how you feel about the prospect of Ryan and the Falcons falling way behind and having to air it out while GB play soft D. Look at the Cowboys/Bears game on Thursday - Cutler had one of his best (fantasy-wise)days of the year in what effectively was a blowout.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think the simplest solution is to reduce the divisions to 14 teams which imo makes a lot more sense anyways. I think 16 is just too much, if you get unlucky in a 16 team league you could be relegated quite easily.

A 14 team league means that everybody plays everybody, you can even add an extra bench spot if you wish but I wouldn't.

I don't think it would be fair to reduce them for next season. I think that we should aim to do it for the following season. Send four down from and two up to the Premier league and do the same all the way down through the divisions.

Two up and four down only works for the Premier league. As TO said, nearly everyone in the lower leagues would be relegated if we implemented this. I don't understand why everyone is saying that JMR's very reasonable suggestion is complicated, then come out with huge changes like this.

I am quite happy to volunteer to fill in the schedule for every single division next year, it's really not that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

D3PO wrote: »
    big list TO however I have a comment on voting on the waiver wire.

This was voted on 2 seasons ago are we just going to keep going back voting on the same things over and over ? Fair enough vote on it again this off season but Id like to see a change made to the charter that says if something is voted on it cannot be revisited for X number of seasons.

what X should be I dunno but my suggestion would be 4 seasons.

Otherwise were going to end up with somebody proposing something to be voted on, it getting defeated that person or somebody else not accepting it and requesting it be voted on again the following off season.
    This just makes it a little more awkward to do something that will get done anyways if the majority want it. If something needs to be looked at and then changed all that happens in the future is that we change back the rule about not being able to vote on it for a few years and then go and change it.
    I think its fair to have the option at the end of every season to make changes to suit the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CJC86 wrote: »
    Two up and four down only works for the Premier league. As TO said, nearly everyone in the lower leagues would be relegated if we implemented this. I don't understand why everyone is saying that JMR's very reasonable suggestion is complicated, then come out with huge changes like this.

I am quite happy to volunteer to fill in the schedule for every single division next year, it's really not that complicated.
    Oh my bad, I forgot about that.

D3PO wrote: »
    This was voted on 2 seasons ago are we just going to keep going back voting on the same things over and over ? Fair enough vote on it again this off season but Id like to see a change made to the charter that says if something is voted on it cannot be revisited for X number of seasons.

what X should be I dunno but my suggestion would be 4 seasons.

I understand the need to not have votes and polls every year on every topic, but I would also disagree with the idea that once voted it's locked for x years. There is a possibility of unintended consequences that are unforeseen with any of these changes. If a change patently does not work or has made the experience worse/less fun we have to be able to row back on it.
    A lot to discuss. I'm not sure the best way to do these, maybe a new thread for each rule change with a poll attached.

I agree with this. It will be much easier to follow arguments and to put forward points and counter points in individual threads.

Some of my thoughts on the proposals themselves (not as to whether we should have them or not, if that makes sense?)

- Waiver wire - going from pick and reset to worst record gets top seed
    Another suggestion would be that it goes in reverse draft order. Last to pick in draft gets first waiver priority. Pick and reset after that. (Maybe that's the way it is at the moment?)

- Divisions - Changing division structures manually to make them like the NFL
    If not going with the 14 team option, one way to do this would be to group the divisions by draft position. That way teams with a similar makeup would be in the same divisions. (teams with picks 1-4 go into the 1st division and so on down the line) This would change every annually. Even with better divisional play, it will not sort out the problem of teams with losing records making the playoffs (which I don't actually mind that much tbh)

- 14 team leagues - Changing numbers down.
    This might be tough to implement, I can't really think of a fair way, other than to adjust the divisions based on previous year's positions (although people who won promotion this year may not be happy about staying put) Alternatively we could just arbitrarily readjust the divisions on a lottery-type basis. I can't see that being a runner though.

- Positions:
    Easy to implement if that is what people want.

- Bench size
    Again, easy to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

poldebruin wrote: »
    Some of my thoughts on the proposals themselves (not as to whether we should have them or not, if that makes sense?)

Another suggestion would be that it goes in reverse draft order. Last to pick in draft gets first waiver priority. Pick and reset after that. (Maybe that's the way it is at the moment?)
    If you have last pick in the draft you do automatically get the 1st waiver wire pick.

poldebruin wrote: »

Right now after the draft the last person who picks gets the first spot on waiver wire. Once they select someone they go to the back of the line. Some want it changed to your system some don't.

For what its worth none of the said proposals are hard to actually implement on NFL.com fantasy itself. The hardest part is all the work on here deciding whats best. Even JMR division setup wont take long to fix if thats what people vote on.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Right now after the draft the last person who picks gets the first spot on waiver wire. Once they select someone they go to the back of the line. Some want it changed to your system some don't.

For what its worth none of the said proposals are hard to actually implement on NFL.com fantasy itself. The hardest part is all the work on here deciding whats best. Even JMR division setup wont take long to fix if thats what people vote on.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems pretty fair as is so.

Should we get the threads up now while it is fresh in everyone's minds, or has the horse bolted for most players this year fantasy-wise I wonder? We should have a poll to decide!

All the polls up bar the Division one. Is it best to throw up the poll anyways and then put pending the decision of the 16 or 14 man setting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

All the polls up bar the Division one. Is it best to throw up the poll anyways and then put pending the decision of the 16 or 14 man setting..

If we are leaving them up a while then its probably best to throw it up anyway. If a 14 team league wins then the poll will be void

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can the polls be stickied please? I missed a couple until reading this thread (and maybe each commish could let their leagues know too)

Dodge wrote: »
    Can the polls be stickied please? I missed a couple until reading this thread (and maybe each commish could let their leagues know too)

I reported all the posts to the Mods so they can sticky them. Hopefully they get to it as soon as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭aferru

- 14 team leagues - Changing numbers down.

- Bench size
    - Smaller Bench
    - Larger Bench

Im sure I am missing something though. Of course all of this changes would have to be voted on as per our rules for the leagues. So working out the majority vote will be key.

IMO the bench size should be debated only if we decide to go on a 14 league format: if we go with a larger bench with 16 team format it will further reduce the depth positions, I think.

Getting away from the hum drum stuff, I'd just like to point out that I'm in 5 leagues and still in the play offs of 4 of them

I'll win nothing again but I had a couple of miraculous results last night in Lambeau so thought I'd take this opportunity to crow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I lost out on scoring over the whole season by 4 points.... I started Bishop Sankey instead of Andre Williams at 5.58pm , brainfart moment. Missed the playoffs with second highest scoring team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thank you Matt Ryan!! A .08 playoff win this week. Thank god I didn't swap him out given the match-up. No huddle really stretched the pack too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

As i've said, i missed out on playoffs on scoring tiebreaker by 4 points to the overall top scorer. Been chatting to the guys who made it and one is considering starting Eli over Peyton and the other has Arian Foster on his bench. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? How did i not make it?????:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Could a small group of volunteers implement the fixtures for all leagues without being members? (I would gladly volunteer my time)

Getting away from the hum drum stuff, I'd just like to point out that I'm in 5 leagues and still in the play offs of 4 of them

I'll win nothing again but I had a couple of miraculous results last night in Lambeau so thought I'd take this opportunity to crow

Serves me right. Lost Cam Newtown in 2 of those leagues. Starting Alex Smith and one of Geno Smith/Jack Locker in the other.

Oh and lost Denard Robinson in that last one too

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Serves me right. Lost Cam Newtown in 2 of those leagues. Starting Alex Smith and one of Geno Smith/Jack Locker in the other.

Oh and lost Denard Robinson in that last one too

I have had the worst season I have ever had. Finished less than .500 in Boards and Auction League. Missed out of the work one by a 1 point defeat in the last game. Only bright spot this year is topping the PPR league, and I am convinced a disaster lays ahead in that for me. (Having Manziel & Sanchez as my QBs scares me each week)

Brilliant team alright. I hope you're thrashed this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Why doesn't fantasy go to week 17? Or is that just the way the Boards leagues are set up?

Basically because by week 17 a lot of playoff spots in the actual NFL may be decided and therefore you have teams which might rest/sit their best players (probably the ones that got you to the playoffs). So makes sense not to leave the playoff until then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you had to pick between Tannehill and Sanchez for a championship bout what would you go for?

(Rivers brought me here but just don't trust him against the 9ers for the final).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If you had to pick between Tannehill and Sanchez for a championship bout what would you go for?

(Rivers brought me here but just don't trust him against the 9ers for the final).

Tannehill. But I'd pick rivers ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Raoul wrote: »
    Basically because by week 17 a lot of playoff spots in the actual NFL may be decided and therefore you have teams which might rest/sit their best players (probably the ones that got you to the playoffs). So makes sense not to leave the playoff until then.

Thanks. Make sense

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

Just trust the guys that got you there. What have the niners got to play for in fact it sounds like they really don't care about the rest of the season and want to just bomb.

Advertisement