Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Becky Lynch thread! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Be still my throbbing....... Heart

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Already debuted in a few parts of the World namely Australia. The reaction so far is pretty positive. To be expected as she is inherently extremely likable and always knew how to get over on her debut in a promotion.

BrCJmWiCYAArEJt.jpg

People are asking if she is the female Sheamus too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,823 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is she the first Irish woman in WWE/F or any of the televised promotions?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is she the first Irish woman in WWE/F or any of the televised promotions?

Velvet McIntyre was Irish-Canadian. Born in Ireland. Often billed from either Cork or Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

F'n 15 minutes to go folks :p

• Advertisement

DYING HERE

Oh gawd, her theme music is basically Hornswoggle :(

Great reaction from the crowd tho.

Could see people disliking it but I am pretty happy. She's already fixing some aspects.

"Becky Lynch was taught to dance by Colin Farrell's brother"

ROVERT: confirm or deny?!

Legit semi-serious question as Farrell's brother is/was a dance teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

How many times have you replayed her match so far?

Two times so far.

• Advertisement

mxph3 wrote: »

Two times so far.

Just the twice for me.

Alice Radley (Jim Cornette's podcast producer):
    Seeing Becky Lynch just now. Yeah, they're over-irishing it with her. Red hair, green gear and riverdancing? Ugh

Becky retweeted this from Banksy:

BrGiIb0CcAAFzxB.jpg

Read into that what you will. The piddley-diddley dee stuff was a bit OTT, considering the crowd as she'd have probably gotten over in a potato sack.

"Becky Lynch was taught to dance by Colin Farrell's brother"

ROVERT: confirm or deny?!

Legit semi-serious question as Farrell's brother is/was a dance teacher

Yeah Eamonn.
    mxph3 wrote: »

Two times so far.

Once. I've a stock take to co-ordinate. :(

She's a dose in general but Alice isn't really all that wrong. Being Irish is too much of a primary characteristic in Becky's presentation. Wouldn't mind she did the jig once in a match but it was totally over done here - hopefully it was a one off done out of nerves. Due to Sheamus's poorly scripted character (American) fans really see being a Paddywhack Irish as a negative. You also will see stuff like "I really hope WWE doesn't Devitt an Irish name" posts online too.

I was expecting more comments about her ring gear. The pants don't really sit on her that well in particular and material looks cheap.

The more positive things are she was over, her Wrestling ability was demonstrated despite the jigging and the short match, the commentary put her and linked her people WWE considers a big deal - Paige and Finlay and going by comments online people think she's gorgeous.
    Read into that what you will. The piddley-diddley dee stuff was a bit OTT, considering the crowd as she'd have probably gotten over in a potato sack.

Yeah the Full Sail regulars see her as someone past over. There was one set of TV tapings she was set to debut instead of Becky they got FOUR identical Ascension squashes :eek: and as well as other terrible stuff. She stood out to the crowd when she was a Rosebud, wrestled a lot of NXT live events and is great at the meet and greets. Referees and staff are a big fan of her too as she tends to stay late helping out or signing additional autographs.

rovert wrote: »
    Yeah Eamonn.

Once. I've a stock take to co-ordinate. :(

Solidarity bro.

She's a dose in general but Alice isn't really all that wrong. Being Irish is too much of a primary characteristic in Becky's presentation. Wouldn't mind she did the jig once in a match but it was totally over done here. Due to Sheamus's poorly scripted character (American) fans really see being a Paddywhack Irish as a negative. You also will see stuff like "I really hope WWE doesn't Devitt an Irish" post online too.

Disagree with the "I worry for Feargal" comments myself. We probs saw the same tweet....

I was expecting more comments about her ring gear. The pants don't really sit on her that well in particular and material looks cheap.

I'm not a body-shaming sexist like some so I tend to bypass this stuff but the green was notable. Not as big a deal as the jig tbh...

The more positive things are she was over, her Wrestling ability was demonstrated despite the jigging and the short match, the commentary put her and linked her people WWE considers a big deal - Paige and Finlay and going by comments online people think she's gorgeous.

Don't care about 'gorgeous' myself but agree she was very over and I am very happy for her. It's great :)
    Yeah the Full Sail regulars see her as someone past over. There was one set of TV tapings she was set to debut instead of Becky they got FOUR identical Ascension squashes :eek: and well as other terrible stuff.

She also stood out to the crowd as a Rosebud, wrestled a lot of NXT live events and is great at the meet and greets. Referees and staff are a big fan of her too as she tends to stay late helping out or signing additional autographs.

This is cool. The locals know who she is and respond accordingly. Only a good thing. Commentators compared her to Paige (as well as Sheamus :() Anyway, mission accomplished imo even if it was a tad cringeworthy.

I hold out a sliver of hope that the Natalya vs Charlotte match may open some eyes upstairs in WWE top brass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

She is very over on /wooo/ anyway. Haven't checked squared circle yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I woke up at four to watch it on the network. I'm deliighted she the reaction she got from the crowd.

I understand what people are saying about the ring gear colour but it was hardly going to be any other shade of green though ?

The dancing thing needs to stop or at least be toned down.

Maybe it's because this is an irish forum and she's irish but on another message board she was described and messy and awkward. They might need to watch it again.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I understand what people are saying about the ring gear colour but it was hardly going to be any other shade of green though ?

Not talking about the colour. Fashion isn't even my thing just the material seems cheap and indy. The cut of it isn't that flattering at times.

Becky tags with Bailey next week against the BFFs. Compare Bailey's gear to Becky's. You'll see a real difference.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The dancing thing needs to stop or at least be toned down.

Maybe it's because this is an irish forum and she's irish but on another message board she was described and messy and awkward. They might need to watch it again.

Those two things are interlinked. Besides all the jigging being bad/annoying from a match layout POV it is hindrance. Divas in WWE/NXT get the short shrift in terms of match length - for VERY good reasons in some Woman's cases :p and their match length is the first thing that gets cut if a show runs long.

No real idea about the match length of Rae-Lynch but it was like 2 minutes. Not much time to play with. So it would always be a pacey, truncated match. Add all the jigging around that's maybe it is 75 seconds left for Wrestling. So now you have this frenetic paced match were things get rushed and moves get sloppy.

So the jigging is undercutting one of her very best suits in ring Wrestling essentially. Which is FAR move impressive than her dancing. She does need the gimmick of dancing her matches so has the IT factor in that people are naturally into her no matter what she is doing. Lance Storm was given the dancing gimmick has he had little personality. Becky has bags of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i would cut out the dancing completely. if she was good at it fair enough but i have seen girls plastered at 3am in coppers doing a better jig than becky was trying :D

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i would cut out the dancing completely. if she was good at it fair enough but i have seen girls plastered at 3am in coppers doing a better jig than becky was trying :D

That's the thing on the indies she would do the Irish jig to get heel heat. Or would let the American babyface out dance her. The implication was always that she was a bad dancer.

Irish Indy wrestler Bobby Calloway wrote a piece on her debut. Last paragraph is deadly:
    Well there you have it; after over a year of waiting, Becky finally made her debut. I remember reading something on Twitter last night about the match only being 30 seconds. Thankfully that wasn’t the case. But even if it had been 30 seconds with only three moves, it still would have been special. Other Divas like Bayley, Emma and Sasha Banks didn’t have much fanfare when they debuted. It used to be the norm that we’d see the girls on TV as enhancement talent while creative worked out a character for them. In contrast, Becky waited for over a year and went through several different gimmicks before finally getting to make her debut. I remember after it was taped, one of my Twitter followers summed it up nicely – saying that after everything it finally worked when they just let Becky be herself. And that’s indeed what made it work. That’s also why this debut felt much more special than those I listed above. The crowd were completely on Becky’s side and she got a fantastic reaction. Diva-fans were all awaiting this moment but it felt even more special to have even the casual fans into it as well. Apparently even Charlotte and Sasha broke kayfabe and smiled when Becky made her entrance.

You’ll have to forgive the gushing but this moment meant a great deal to all of us over here in Ireland – even for me as someone who never knew Becky that well. I met her the week before she returned; she walked into the training school, introduced herself and started training. I remember thinking at the back of my mind ‘no way, it’s not her, she’s retired’ – and then seeing her in action and thinking ‘wow, this girl is good’. So the next day of course I see the announcement ‘Rebecca Knox makes her return’ and I’m in shock. I was working the show where she returned and I just remember the atmosphere backstage. The excitement was definitely there and we all crowded around the curtain to watch it happen. But for Becky, it was just business as usual. At the time I was so intimidated and barely able to form a sentence. But she was very nice and helped calm me down before my own match that night. I got to meet her again at another show and, again she was lovely. Not everyone in the wrestling industry is that nice or genuine. So it’s always a good feeling for me to see great things happen for someone that is. And with the news of WWE signing Fergal Devitt – who is just as nice and genuine – it definitely gives everyone in Ireland reasons to be proud and happy. Congratulations, Becky. You did it.

- See more at: http://www.lethalwow.com/2014/06/27/wwe-divas-june-26th-nxt-results-the-lynch-mob-is-here/#sthash.btiCpuiw.dpuf

Bobby kind of doesn't tell his own story. In that training session she went in fairly unrecognisable, hair in her face etc and just introduced herself as "Rebecca" and lined up with the rest of the class. The notion Becky would be back Wrestling simply wasn't a notion.

The Ringbelles website noted it was her first match in front of a camera for TV or DVD production or whatever in EIGHT years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I took a look at the bastion of wrestling discussion that is wrestlingforum.com to see a non-Irish opinion of her.

The majority seem to like her but the Irish shtick didn't go down well.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I took a look at the bastion of wrestling discussion that is wrestlingforum.com to see a non-Irish opinion of her.

The majority seem to like her but the Irish shtick didn't go down well.

Wait until Devitt is named Fergal Flatley in NXT. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

She was grand I thought. One or two sloppy bits like the kip up but that's probably nerves. That jig got real old, real fast. Seriously.

The Oirish schtick with the jig was great in the Shimmer matches. Doubt Vince et al would let her play heel. Dissappointed to hear Renee align her with Sheamus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Oirish schtick with the jig was great in the Shimmer matches. Doubt Vince et al would let her play heel. Dissappointed to hear Renee align her with Sheamus.

Personally would,love to see her and Devitt set up an Irish stable with Sheamus, and even bring in Finlay.

Sheamus as the top guy.
    Devitt as the second in command, silent guy, high mid card but obvious potential to move up.
    Becky as the Diva
    Finlay as the father figure.

Could easily and credibly dominate shows for months and be massive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Personally would,love to see her and Devitt set up an Irish stable with Sheamus, and even bring in Finlay.

Sheamus as the top guy.
    Devitt as the second in command, silent guy, high mid card but obvious potential to move up.
    Becky as the Diva

Think I posted the exact same thing in perhaps the Unpopular opinions thread a month or two back. Obviously people dont want them just booked as the Oirish group but once they werent (like Finlay used to) Carrying shillelaghs as weapons and Horswaggle wasn't involved I think it could be good. An Irish Evolution of sorts but with 1 of the stars for the future being a Diva (yeah I know big Dave can be a Diva at times :pac: ), while Sheamus & Finlay play the HHH/Flair roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sheamus as the top guy.
    Becky as the Diva

I said the same a few months back love to see it happen.

Unimpressed face:
    BrJZf0OIgAEZ8dD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Sheamus as the top guy.
    Becky as the Diva

As long as it is named O'Volution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The St Patrick's Squad

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Think I posted the exact same thing in perhaps the Unpopular opinions thread a month or two back. Obviously people dont want them just booked as the Oirish group but once they werent (like Finlay used to) Carrying shillelaghs as weapons and Horswaggle wasn't involved I think it could be good. An Irish Evolution of sorts but with 1 of the stars for the future being a Diva (yeah I know big Dave can be a Diva at times :pac: ), while Sheamus & Finlay play the HHH/Flair roles.

I would just worry that vince would want to call them the irish rasslin alliance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,823 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching the jigs and putting up the fists made me think i was watching the video for C'est la vie. "You fight like me da as well"

Advertisement