Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'll probably go to this. Who would be considered favourites and any players in particularly to watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

GavMan wrote: »
    A club the size and heritage of Shannon, not to have a 20's side is a complete shock to me. Very sad state of affairs. Not sure how I missed that one tbh. It doesn't bode well for them at senior level not to have guys coming through for a one year block. Hopefully they can play catch up.

Was hoping to get to it but a couple of jobs (DIY) popped up and need doing around the house this weekend so I'll have to make do with the box
    Poor out of them but they had a good number of 20s who were regularly playing AIL and their seconds(though play on a sunday) were very young iirc this season.
    They do have guys coming through and would expect them to have a 20s next season.
    I'll probably go to this. Who would be considered favourites and any players in particularly to watch out for?
    I'd put Lansdowne as favourites. Am going to the game(getting in for free :cool:) and will be interesting to see how it goes. Havent been to a 1A AIL game in a while

Watch out for Clontarf winger Conor O Brien. 2 years an Irish youth, from Mullingar. Played Irish 19s this season and been involved a lot with Clontarf seniors this season
    Joe McSwiney from Wexford but played age grade and adult grades with Waterpark as well as in Cork before moving to Lansdowne. Has played A interpro rugby with Munster on occasion.
    Tom Kiersey on bench for Lansdowne. Can play 10/12. Super player from Waterpark originally. Potential game changer if/when he comes on
    Don't see need to mention contracted guys as players to watch out for.

Teams are below:

LANSDOWNE: Cian Kelleher; Mark Roche, Tom Farrell, Tom Daly, Ian Fitzpatrick; Scott Deasy, Adam Griggs; Peter Dooley, Tyrone Moran, Ian Prendiville, Brian Moylett, Stephen Gardiner, Joe McSwiney, Aaron Conneely, Ron Boucher (capt).

Replacements: Paddy Flood, Adam Boland, Tadhg Beirne, Paddy O'Driscoll, Tom Kiersey, Cian Aherne, Joe O'Brien.

CLONTARF: Rob Keogh; Conor O'Brien, Colm O'Shea, Matt D'Arcy, Max McFarland; Evan Ryan, Sam Cronin (capt); Ivan Soroka, Bryan Byrne, Royce Burke Flynn, Tom Byrne, Ben Reilly, Karl Moran, Adrian D'Arcy, Tony Ryan.

Replacements: Rory Litchfield, Liam Og Murphy, Ian Hirst, Dermot O'Meara, Ariel Robles, Timmy McCoy, Conor O'Keeffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Clontarf
    Matt D'arcy - 12 for Clontarf - Think he is joint top try scorer in the league and kicked all Clontarf's points in the semi-final.

Royce Burke Flynn & Ian Hirst - Props both contracted to Leinster next season

Lansdowne
    Aaron Conneely - 7 nominated for Ulster Bank player of the season. Ex Connacht Development

Stephen Gardiner - 2nd Row - Ex Irish U'20s and was a club international this year

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

McFarland for Clontarf on the wing can change any game in a split second
    Interesting final Lansdowne have won both league medtings this year but that counts for nothing in a final the back to back is on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Looking forward to this. Lansdowne vs Clontarf usually have exciting close games, the last encounter being the unusual exception. It's looking like it will be dry for the game too which is a big bonus and should allow both teams to play exciting rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

A lot of Lansdowne's players would be well known from Leinster academy. Boucher at 8 is a big player for them and has been performing well at this level for years. Deasy will be kicking, good player, ex Munster fringe but not the most reliable kicker.

Clontarf
    Matt D'arcy, captained the club side, he's probably 6'5 or more but has an uncanny ability to ghost through gaps, hap come through as a 10 but his unpredictability is much better suited to 12.
    Soroka at prop - though RBF and Hirst have received much deserved Leinster contracts, Soroka has been excellent all season and is a serious scrummager, still only 20/21.
    Tony Ryan at 8 is a serious player, from Enniscorthy, he's a real durable hard 8.
    Ben Reilly- has dominated lineouts in the AIL for years, great player.

Should be a good game.
    Lansdowne are favourites but maybe their form has wavered over recent weeks, at the same time Clontarf's form has picked up with the return of Reilly.
    Joyce being out is a huge loss, he is a much more accurate kicker than Deasy, D'arcy hit 3/6 in the semi-final.
    A dry day should see the Lansdowne backs make breaks for fun and this could decide the game. Poor weather would work in Clontarf's favour with more scrums etc. There should be a big crowd over from Clontarf for this.
    Heart says Clontarf, head says Lansdowne.

Hats off the IRFU for bringing back in the playoffs, the league was much better off this year for it, not so impressed with pinnacle of club calendar being subjected to a 1pm kick-off though.

Good post Bamboozle front row battle will be very interesting - I rate Peter Dooley very highly and Prendiville is a very good operator and like Soroka very young (in prop years)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Am I the only one watching on RTE? It's cracker of a match....only 1 point in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

vienne86 wrote: »
    Am I the only one watching on RTE? It's cracker of a match....only 1 point in it.

Brilliant game. End to end with mistakes being punished with 50-60m

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Donal Lenihan gives MOTM to the Cork Con man. You've got to laugh at times.

Penalty on halfway for 'Tarf. Will they go for an insane kick at the posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lansdowne win after Clontarf tap and go on penalty. I've got to ask though, surely they didn't even get 5m on that tap and go, let alone 10m?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    Donal Lenihan gives MOTM to the Cork Con man. You've got to laugh at times.

Penalty on halfway for 'Tarf. Will they go for an insane kick at the posts?

Couldn't kick it and eventually lost it. Fab game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

vienne86 wrote: »

I didn't know it was on RTE, I just don't expect them to show live rugby other than Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That was a pretty tough defeat to swallow considering the first try from landsdowne shouldn't have been awarded and they got away with not receiving a few yellow cards where as Tarf picked up one incredibly harsh one at the end. Landsdowne I felt only really came into it at the end.

Still, great game. Great advertisement for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Very good game, really enjoyed it. Lansdowne showed a lot of maturity to win that game in the manner they did which is impressive considering the average age on the team.
    Two good tries from Lansdowne. First try was fine for me, pass looked flat on the replays I saw. Great vision from Deasy. Both yellows were given for repeated penalties rather than the individual offence although I'd argue the second one warranted it on its own.

Disappointing for Clontarf as they were the better team for more of the game but they didn't take their chances and Lansdowne did from their fewer chances.

Well done Lansdowne.

Was at game. watching from VIP seats :D

Good game. Quality was fantastic for a final and really was a great showcase for the league.
    Have to watch again but didn't see too much wrong with the try's and certainly not the yellows which were for the cumulative not the individual offences i'm fairly sure but will watch game back when I get the chance to.

May not have given McSwiney man of the match myself but the ex Park/Con man was super.

Great game - Super contest and a fantastic showcase for the club game. Coverage was great and hats off the IRFU for that. Re the yellow cards I am with IngazZagni on the Robles yellow - I would had that down as a yellow on its own merit - Robles knew what he was doing and if Kelleher had gone round him there was nobody else left in defence. Lansdowne might have been lucky to avoid a yellow until Boland got sin binned but for me Burke Flynn was at fault in that scrum - the replay showed him basically walking the scrum around. Was impressed with Conor O'Brien and Soroka - They both look very decent prospects. D'arcy capped off a great season. Lansdowne backrow were excellent and thought Conneely edged McSwiney slightly. Moran put in an excellent 2nd half and Deasy kept his composure very well. Roche did superbly well to finish that try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Great game and enjoyed it very much. Deasy is such a good player and like lots of lads there, you wonder how they would do at the higher professional level. I like Mark Roche, small but fast and powerful. Just nice to have a competitive game that was pleasing on the eye. Congrats Lansdowne.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Great game and enjoyed it very much. Deasy is such a good player and like lots of lads there, you wonder how they would do at the higher professional level. I like Mark Roche, small but fast and powerful. Just nice to have a competitive game that was pleasing on the eye. Congrats Lansdowne.
    Deasy has 40 or so appearances for Munster over his time in academy/3 years on senior contract. Wasn't good enough to be kept on by Munster. Could do fine in England at championship etc level.

I really enjoyed the game. For €10 it was a great 80 minutes of entertainment. I thought there would be a bigger crowd (maybe double what was actually there) but the supporters in attendance were really into it so there was a good buzz.

I felt Lansdowne played more rugby and probably deserved it overall. The buildup play to the crossfield kick try was as good as you'd see at professional level. That said the interception from Clontarf's 12 was excellent. It's rare that you don't see an interception coming once the pass was made but we didn't! As soon as we realised what had took place the player was already away.

I had to laugh that both teams have probably bigger main sponsors than the provinces: Zurich and Willis!

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed the game. For €10 it was a great 80 minutes of entertainment. I thought there would be a bigger crowd (maybe double what was actually there) but the supporters in attendance were really into it so there was a good buzz.

I felt Lansdowne played more rugby and probably deserved it overall. The buildup play to the crossfield kick try was as good as you'd see at professional level. That said the interception from Clontarf's 12 was excellent. It's rare that you don't see an interception coming once the pass was made but we didn't! As soon as we realised what had took place the player was already away.

I had to laugh that both teams have probably bigger main sponsors than the provinces: Zurich and Willis!
    Great entertainment is right. Agree on crowd. Thought especially with Lansdowne playing at home theyd get a bigger crowd in

AIL awards are tonight. All nominees mentioned by Ulster Bank twitter account...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Couldn't find a list of top try scorers in AIL this year. anyone got a link?

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Couldn't find a list of top try scorers in AIL this year. anyone got a link?
    There isn't one and are you only referring to the top flight or the league overall?

Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf) was top try scorer in 1A

Johann Greyling Old Wesley scored 9

rsz_inpho_00931484.jpg

Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf) won both the Ulster Bank Division 1A Top Try Scorer and the Ulster Bank Division 1A Player of the Year award.

ULSTER BANK LEAGUE AWARDS - 2015 WINNERS:

Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 1A: Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf)
    Nominated: Aaron Conneely (Lansdowne), Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf), Kyle McCoy (Terenure College)

Ulster Bank Top Try Scorer - Division 1A: Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf)

Ulster Bank Top Points Scorer - Division 1A: Josh Glynn (Old Belvedere)

Ulster Bank Rising Star of the Year - Division 1A: Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne)
    Nominated: Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne), Tom Farrell (Lansdowne), Rory Scannell (Dolphin), Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution), Ross Adair (Ballynahinch)

Ulster Bank Coach of the Year - Division 1A: John Staunton (Young Munster)
    Nominated: John Staunton (Young Munster), James Blaney (Terenure College), Bobby Byrne (UCD)

Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 1B: John Cleary (Galwegians)
    Nominated: John Cleary (Galwegians), Sean Taylor (Ballymena), Ed Rossiter (Garryowen)

Ulster Bank Player of the Year - Division 2A: Ian Cassidy (Old Wesley)
    Nominated: Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College), Ross McAuley (Skerries), Ian Cassidy (Old Wesley)

Ulster Player of the Year - Division 2B: Neil Faloon (Armagh)
    Nominated: Paul Stack (Highfield), Christy Condon (Midleton), Neil Faloon (Armagh)

Ulster Bank Club PRO (Public Relations Officer) of the Year: Thomas O'Brien (Old Wesley); Nominated: Cian O'Higgins (Seapoint), Thomas O'Brien (Old Wesley), Ryan Clarke and Keelan Durnien (Queen's University)

Ulster Bank Provincial Player of the Year - voted by the public through Ulster Bank Rugby Social Media:

Connacht Player of the Year: John Cleary (Galwegians)
    Nominated: John Cleary (Galwegians), James Wilson (Sligo), Diarmuid Higgins (Buccaneers), Marc Kelly (Corinthians)

Leinster Player of the Year: Alan Large (Old Wesley)
    Nominated: Alan Large (Old Wesley), Brian du Toit (Dublin University), Ciaran Ruddock (St. Mary's College), James O'Neill (Terenure College)

Munster Player of the Year: Ger Slattery (Young Munster)
    Nominated: John Ed O'Connor (Cashel), Fintan O'Sullivan (Highfield), Ed Rossiter (Garryowen), Ger Slattery (Young Munster)

Ulster Player of the Year: Neil Faloon (Armagh)
    Nominated: Neil Faloon (Armagh), Frankie Taggart (Belfast Harlequins), Sean Taylor (Ballymena), Ross Adair (Ballynahinch)

Ulster Bank Team of the Year - entries submitted to Newstalk and chosen by 'Off the Ball': Old Wesley RFC
    Nominated: Old Wesley, Garryowen, Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Cheers, was hoping to find out how many he got. How many Farrell etc got as well.

Old wes scooped them up. Mate of mine is the PRO officer so seems he's doing his job well!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Cheers, was hoping to find out how many he got. How many Farrell etc got as well.

Darcy 12 tries in the league Farrell 11

.ak wrote: »
    Old wes scooped them up. Mate of mine is the PRO officer so seems he's doing his job well!
    They deserved to as well. Scored more than all bar Highfield in all divisions. Playing on the 4G totally suited their huge pack and their backline. Their ability to get so many of the players who moved to Dublin for work really helped them. Had several former Nenagh, Garryowen guys who moved in recent season or two for work in the capital was big boost to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Good read. Seems Nucifora wants the club game to be taken more seriously. Can only be a good thing

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/irfu-need-to-stop-stalling-the-club-game-and-drive-on-31228745.html

• Advertisement

If I understand the idea of PPS, it's to restrict clubs hoovering up the top players? When you've got Dublin clubs with major sponsors I'm sure they can "sort players out" who decide to move and play there. Put in a good word to get a job etc.

Advertisement