Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

gaius c wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a harsh result for Salmo but it's great for Dundalk.
    It is but not great for Boyne in terms of getting players up there in north east. The Boyne/Navan/Dundalk games next season should be great for the neutral!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It is but not great for Boyne in terms of getting players up there in north east. The Boyne/Navan/Dundalk games next season should be great for the neutral!

That's the way of life though. Barnhall suck players from all over north Kildare, meaning the junior clubs in the area struggle to hold onto players.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

As someone who played for Boyne, I can assure you that it wont effect Boyne in terms of recruitment. Over the last few years they have had one player from Dundalk and that was only a dual status basis for a couple of games.

So thoughts on Saturdays final
    Anyone going to the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Do you mean Saturday week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Is it not next week? The 8th

Stainalert wrote: »
    Do you mean Saturday week?
    Ah yeah its Sat week. :o In middle of exams so got dates mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Does it really matter? Maybe that is the thinking behind the awarding to the awards to academy players but they probably are as deserving of the award for performances as the others.
    ONeill likely to get the award for 1A top try scorer if he has scored as many as people have said here

Why shouldn't academy players get recognised if playing well? They may be on the way to stardom but that isn't always the way things occur. Should they not get an award for good performances because they might go on to better things as a full time pro later in their career?

The point is that the academy players are far more likely to get the award because they are academy players. It is much harder for a non academy player who may be playing as well if not better than the academy player to get the award.

Ulster Bank seem to always give the academy player the benefit of the doubt and this is more than likely a marketing ploy as described previously.

SA09 wrote: »
    The point is that the academy players are far more likely to get the award because they are academy players. It is much harder for a non academy player who may be playing as well if not better than the academy player to get the award.

Ulster Bank seem to always give the academy player the benefit of the doubt and this is more than likely a marketing ploy as described previously.
    Theyre not. The judges go to games and I really doubt the likes of Alan Quinlan, rugby journalists Adam Redmond, Donn O'Sullivan and Richard Mulligan etc etc are really going to be going im picking x as he's in the academy of x and I can say that I picked him as I knew he was going to go ....

Ulster Bank have no involvement in picking the awards. Its rugby journalists and former pro players whove played AIL who are picking the awards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Advertisement

Good move by Salmo as they try make it back to senior ranks next season....

"De La Salle Palmerston FC are delighted to announce with immediate effect, the appointment of Mr Phil Werahiko as Director of Rugby."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Didn't he used to coach them a few years back?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Didn't he used to coach them a few years back?
    Yeah. Coached them when they got up to division 1 of the league iirc

So
    Next Seasons Divisions:
    Division 1A
    Lansdowne, Terenure, Clontarf, Young Munster, Old Belvedere, UCD, Ballynahinch, Cork Constitution, Galwegians, Garryowen

Division 1B
    St Marys, Dolphin, Dublin University, Ballymena, Belfast Harlequins, Shannon, Buccaneers, UL Bohemians, Old Wesley, Blackrock College

Division 2A
    Malone, Corinthians, Skerries, Banbridge, Cashel, Queen's University, Naas, Thomond, Nenagh Ormond, UCC

Division 2B
    NUIM Barnhall, City of Derry, Rainey Old Boys, Dungannon, Seapoint, Bective Rangers, Highfield, Armagh, Greystones, Sunday's Well

Division 2C
    Tullamore, Midleton, Bruff, Sligo, Wanderers, Old Crescent, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I see the final next week is a 1pm start, why the change from usual 2.30pm start?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I was hearing allot of chat about Quins looking for a new coach near the end of the season, maybe they have decided to stay with Larkin for another year?

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    I see the final next week is a 1pm start, why the change from usual 2.30pm start?
    Ulster Munster is at 2.40pm so dont want them to clash???

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Due to TV coverage I presume

SA09 wrote: »
    Due to TV coverage I presume

Not great really - I am sure the clubs would prefer a later kick off - still at least it means TV coverage

Not great really - I am sure the clubs would prefer a later kick off - still at least it means TV coverage
    What's not great about it? Clubs get to have the game shown live on tv when otherwise wouldn't. Its not as if both clubs have far to travel that an kick off at 1pm will mean serious disruption to them.

What's not great about it? Clubs get to have the game shown live on tv when otherwise wouldn't. Its not as if both clubs have far to travel that an kick off at 1pm will mean serious disruption to them.

Don't get me wrong television coverage is great - 1pm KO however is sub optimal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's not that big of a deal, as Lost Sheep said Clontarf don't have far to travel so it's much of a muchness.

Honestly whats "sub optimal" about a 1pm kickoff? Will an hour and half earlier kick-off truly affect the clubs that much?
    Who in your opinion doesn't deserve to be there? Who should be there? Whats wrong with these nominations?

Very odd!

If teams are playing all year at 2.30pm I am sure they would prefer to play final at 2.30pm. Routine is broken and while Clontarf have not far to travel it is that extra one and a half hour earlier start that is not great from a players, coaches etc point of view. Would prefer if it was 2.30pm if I was playing. Instead of a bus from Clontarf at 11.30 it will now be 10am so not ideal but if thats the way it is thats the way it is. If Young Munster got to the final it would have been very unfair

Honestly whats "sub optimal" about a 1pm kickoff? Will an hour and half earlier kick-off truly affect the clubs that much?

I don't think anyone looking to maximise an attendance at a sporting event would choose 1pm - it is too early

Who in your opinion doesn't deserve to be there? Who should be there? Whats wrong with these nominations?

All of the Leinster nominations for a start

I can think of several players in Terenure I would have instead of James O'Neill - Their no. 8 for one was outstanding this season.

Ciaran Ruddock has been a great servant for Marys but he was not a leading light for them this season.

Are we really saying Alan Large has been a better 10 than David Joyce, Scott Deasy, Ross Byrne, Cathal Marsh to name but a few

Have heard a lot of good reports about Du Toit but there have been several stand out forwards in 1A who deserve recognition - Take any of the Club International team for a start. My preference would be for Gardiner in Lansdowne or Pritchard in Ballynahinch

Not one player in club international training squad (below) included

ULSTER BANK CLUB INTERNATIONAL TRAINING SQUAD:

Royce Burke-Flynn (Clontarf)
    Aaron Conneely (Lansdowne)
    Neil Cronin (Garryowen)
    Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf)
    Stephen Ferguson (City of Derry)
    Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    Shane Grannell (UCD)
    Ian Hirst (Clontarf)
    David Joyce (Clontarf)
    Declan Lavery (Old Belvedere)
    Angus Lloyd (Dublin University)
    Darragh Lyons (Cork Constitution)
    Kyle McCoy (Terenure College)
    Kevin McGrath (Skerries)
    Stephen Mulholland (Ballymena)
    Stephen Murphy (UCD)
    Andrew O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution)
    Kieran O'Gorman (Old Belvedere)
    Ed O'Keeffe (Young Munster)
    Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College)
    Daniel Riordan (Old Belvedere)
    Paul Pritchard (Ballynahinch)
    Ian Prendiville (Lansdowne)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    Eddie Rossiter (Garryowen)
    Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    Jonathan Slattery (Old Belvedere)
    Connor Smyth (Ballymena)
    Ger Sweeney (Cork Constitution)
    Sean Walsh (Cashel)
    Fergal Walsh (Terenure College)
    Peter O'Shea (Garryowen)

Not one player from the 2 finalists in Leinster is very odd I would say and only one player from 1a is also odd altough I do believe O'Neill deserves his nomination more of a PR Job than an award on merit as others have said previously re player of the month awards

Very odd!

If teams are playing all year at 2.30pm I am sure they would prefer to play final at 2.30pm. Routine is broken and while Clontarf have not far to travel it is that extra one and a half hour earlier start that is not great from a players, coaches etc point of view. Would prefer if it was 2.30pm if I was playing. Instead of a bus from Clontarf at 11.30 it will now be 10am so not ideal but if thats the way it is thats the way it is. If Young Munster got to the final it would have been very unfair
    Having been involved in logistical stuff re games it wont affect clubs too much. Do Friday Night games not break routine of sides who play overwhelmingly on Saturdays 2.30?
    But your not playing... The game is being shown live on tv. Something people have complained about coverage etc and the game at 1pm means the game doesn't clash with a key pro12 game that is being shown live on tv. Would you rather the game at 2.30 and majority of rugby supporters watching the pro12 game? 1pm kickoff may mean more irish supporters watching the game before Munster Ulster

Not one player from the 2 finalists in Leinster is very odd I would say and only one player from 1a is also odd altough I do believe O'Neill deserves his nomination more of a PR Job than an award on merit as others have said previously re player of the month awards

Apologies wrong O'Neill from Terenure I thought it was the centre Stephen O'Neill who does deserve a nomination but the James nomination makes it even stranger

Having been involved in logistical stuff re games it wont affect clubs too much. Do Friday Night games not break routine of sides who play overwhelmingly on Saturdays 2.30?
    But your not playing... The game is being shown live on tv. Something people have complained about coverage etc and the game at 1pm means the game doesn't clash with a key pro12 game that is being shown live on tv. Would you rather the game at 2.30 and majority of rugby supporters watching the pro12 game? 1pm kickoff may mean more irish supporters watching the game before Munster Ulster

You do love the IRFU! your uncompromising admiration and support of their polices has to be admired certainly given how outspoken you are on other matters!

• Advertisement

All of the Leinster nominations for a start

I can think of several players in Terenure I would have instead of James O'Neill - Their no. 8 for one was outstanding this season.

Ciaran Ruddock has been a great servant for Marys but he was not a leading light for them this season.

Are we really saying Alan Large has been a better 10 than David Joyce, Scott Deasy, Ross Byrne, Cathal Marsh to name but a few

Have heard a lot of good reports about Du Toit but there have been several stand out forwards in 1A who deserve recognition - Take any of the Club International team for a start. My preference would be for Gardiner in Lansdowne or Pritchard in Ballynahinch

Not one player in club international training squad (below) included

ULSTER BANK CLUB INTERNATIONAL TRAINING SQUAD:

Royce Burke-Flynn (Clontarf)
    Aaron Conneely (Lansdowne)
    Neil Cronin (Garryowen)
    Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf)
    Stephen Ferguson (City of Derry)
    Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    Shane Grannell (UCD)
    Ian Hirst (Clontarf)
    David Joyce (Clontarf)
    Declan Lavery (Old Belvedere)
    Angus Lloyd (Dublin University)
    Darragh Lyons (Cork Constitution)
    Kyle McCoy (Terenure College)
    Kevin McGrath (Skerries)
    Stephen Mulholland (Ballymena)
    Stephen Murphy (UCD)
    Andrew O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution)
    Kieran O'Gorman (Old Belvedere)
    Ed O'Keeffe (Young Munster)
    Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College)
    Daniel Riordan (Old Belvedere)
    Paul Pritchard (Ballynahinch)
    Ian Prendiville (Lansdowne)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    Eddie Rossiter (Garryowen)
    Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    Jonathan Slattery (Old Belvedere)
    Connor Smyth (Ballymena)
    Ger Sweeney (Cork Constitution)
    Sean Walsh (Cashel)
    Fergal Walsh (Terenure College)
    Peter O'Shea (Garryowen)
    You complained and moaned about the selection of that squad when it was named and selected as well. Whats it to be? The people involved will never be right in your opinion if going by how you feel about the decisions made in selection of players/rep squads etc.
    Is it that odd? 1A may be the top flight but they have had plenty other and more opportunities to be recognised for work in season compared to 1B/2A/2B.
    How would you make it an award on merit? What would be the criteria to determine exactly who should merit an award?

Advertisement