Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Nba man

Hard to see what players garryowen will attract in limerick, apart from schools players which they have always had success with, will there munster contracted players be asked to play with a 1A team?

Kavanagh is a quality player and will def be an addition on the pitch, coaching experience has to start somewhere, they already have head coach Derek Corcoran going into his 3rd year. Bohs are a good bet for 1B, some good young players coming through and Keneally an excellent signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So Shannon are losing Bennett, Lyons and Guerin that could be massive for them unless they can bring someone of quality in.

Kavanagh as a player would be outstanding, he always stood out when I watched Garryowen, could be a good signing for Nenagh, not sure about him as a coach though. Any idea who else Garryowen are losing? I am sure they will be picking up any young player coming to limerick they have been always good at getting players in.

Think Bohs could be a strong bet for 1B next year though with Niall Kenneally coming back in.
    Could be massive for Shannon but they'll find someone.
    Agree on Kavanagh and that its hard to say about how he'll be as coach but Nenagh still have Derek Corcoran coaching them and they'll be ok in 2A.
    Nba man wrote: »
    Hard to see what players garryowen will attract in limerick, apart from schools players which they have always had success with, will there munster contracted players be asked to play with a 1A team?

Kavanagh is a quality player and will def be an addition on the pitch, coaching experience has to start somewhere, they already have head coach Derek Corcoran going into his 3rd year. Bohs are a good bet for 1B, some good young players coming through and Keneally an excellent signing.
    Garryowen will always attract a few players. With only 1 Limerick club in 1A and 2 Cork Clubs Munster will have several contracted players in 1B.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Could be massive for Shannon but they'll find someone.
    Agree on Kavanagh and that its hard to say about how he'll be as coach but Nenagh still have Derek Corcoran coaching them and they'll be ok in 2A.

Garryowen will always attract a few players. With only 1 Limerick club in 1A and 2 Cork Clubs Munster will have several contracted players in 1B.

Think Shannon will struggle to find someone. Trying to replace one 10 is bad enough but replacing your entire playmaking/controlling axis of 9/10/12 is huge! Cullen replacing Guerin (isn't the same standard i think), losing Tadhg and Gearoid Lyons is massive, there aren't many lads around Limerick to replace these guys we must remember. The pick is getting smaller and smaller!

YM's Tongan 12 is heading home. A big loss. Was the driving force behind YMs solid performances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Yeah would have to agree, Cullen isn't near the same standard as Guerin, always thought Guerin got a bit of a raw deal when it came to recognition, think he is a trade up from Brian Haugh for YM and far less injury prone.

Any idea why Richmond changed coaches, thought Murray was doing a good job after getting promotion and doing well then staying up?

Think Shannon will struggle to find someone. Trying to replace one 10 is bad enough but replacing your entire playmaking/controlling axis of 9/10/12 is huge! Cullen replacing Guerin (isn't the same standard i think), losing Tadhg and Gearoid Lyons is massive, there aren't many lads around Limerick to replace these guys we must remember. The pick is getting smaller and smaller!

YM's Tongan 12 is heading home. A big loss. Was the driving force behind YMs solid performances!
    Shannon rumoured to have Leonard Slattery and another of Thomonds back row so having Cullen etc at 9 will be fine. Cullen is IMO at Guerins standard despite his age and will be ok.
    Yeah would have to agree, Cullen isn't near the same standard as Guerin, always thought Guerin got a bit of a raw deal when it came to recognition, think he is a trade up from Brian Haugh for YM and far less injury prone.

Any idea why Richmond changed coaches, thought Murray was doing a good job after getting promotion and doing well then staying up?
    Think Cullen will be better in time and with him being in academy will do well.
    Could Murray's Munster commitments play a role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Transfers from what I've gathered over the last few days - Old Belvedere have brought in Rory O'Loughlin, James Rael and Rory Kavanagh so far. Terenure have signed two overseas players along with John Cooney. UCD have lost several players but have managed to keep their talented Leinster Academy players for next season along with Jeremy Loughman and Jack Power added. Jack Dilger has signed for Lansdowne. St. Mary's have signed Michael McLoughlin from Trinity and Richie Allen from Old Belvedere along with Jerry Sexton returning from France. Don't blame me if some of these aren't concrete as lads from these clubs told me and obviously they could be wrong.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Transfers from what I've gathered over the last few days - Old Belvedere have brought in Rory O'Loughlin, James Rael and Rory Kavanagh so far. Terenure have signed two overseas players along with John Cooney. UCD have lost several players but have managed to keep their talented Leinster Academy players for next season along with Jeremy Loughman and Jack Power added. Jack Dilger has signed for Lansdowne. St. Mary's have signed Michael McLoughlin from Trinity and Richie Allen from Old Belvedere along with Jerry Sexton returning from France. Don't blame me if some of these aren't concrete as lads from these clubs told me and obviously they could be wrong.
    Nenagh signed YM centre with some other guys back from Oz etc
    Young Munster losing Kolio Hifo as well as several to Thomond but have brought in Martin Kelly, Rob Guerin & Gearoid Lyons

Rael is interesting for Belvo. Connacht could really do with having 1A club.
    UCD always will lose quite a few players its the nature of being a closed university club. Loughman not sure if ready for AIL week in week out however talented he is at schools level. Not really played any full on scrums etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Have just heard that a UCD second row has been signed to a club in South Island, New Zealand. Presumably Christchurch or Otago I would imagine. His name is unknown to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Board_man wrote: »
    Have just heard that a UCD second row has been signed to a club in South Island, New Zealand. Presumably Christchurch or Otago I would imagine. His name is unknown to me

Philip Crowe is his name. Playing for University of Otago.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Never heard of him. Was he involved with the 1sts last year or what? Any chance of him playing ITM or the equivalent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Nenagh signed YM centre with some other guys back from Oz etc
    Young Munster losing Kolio Hifo as well as several to Thomond but have brought in Martin Kelly, Rob Guerin & Gearoid Lyons

Rael is interesting for Belvo. Connacht could really do with having 1A club.
    UCD always will lose quite a few players its the nature of being a closed university club. Loughman not sure if ready for AIL week in week out however talented he is at schools level. Not really played any full on scrums etc.
    tadgh bennett staying at shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Braken wrote: »
    tadgh bennett staying at shannon

I would imagine Shannon pulled out all the stops to keep him, don't think he would have come cheap. It is a shame but I think they will struggle this coming season, they have a good young side but think the division is a lot stronger next season, can see Garryowen, Buccs, Corinthians, Bohs, Trinity, Belfast Harlequins all finishing above them.

Any word on Bruff next season, have they brought many in?

I would imagine Shannon pulled out all the stops to keep him, don't think he would have come cheap. It is a shame but I think they will struggle this coming season, they have a good young side but think the division is a lot stronger next season, can see Garryowen, Buccs, Corinthians, Bohs, Trinity, Belfast Harlequins all finishing above them.

Yea agree 1b will be tough for shannon and garryowen, garryowen will be rebuilding for a couple of years after losing a lot of experienced players, ul bohs have recruited well and should go well in 1b as will Corinthians and galweigians, which Galway club did Shane o Leary get assigned too?

Haven't heard much on bruff , I think Brendan deady is the backs coach, not sure on who else is coaching there and haven't heard of any signings apart from jack Cullen leaving them to go to shannon.

How can Terenure sign 2 overseas players I thought the rule was you can only have one? Or does one of them have an EU passport? John Conwy big signing for them if that is the 9 I am thinking of?

Possibly. Shannon will have a young side and it will vary how they start the season as to how they go. If they get decent draws in the Charity Cup and Senior Cup and build some confidence ahead of league they will be fine and do well but tough draws and they lose in both cups and don't go great in Senior Plate then it could be long season.

Nothing heard on Bruff yet except for they'll have a few of their strong under 20s last season who'll push on to senior squad and with a good 18s team from last season around they'll bounce back sooner rather than later as the talent is there.

Possibly. Shannon will have a young side and it will vary how they start the season as to how they go. If they get decent draws in the Charity Cup and Senior Cup and build some confidence ahead of league they will be fine and do well but tough draws and they lose in both cups and don't go great in Senior Plate then it could be long season.

Nothing heard on Bruff yet except for they'll have a few of their strong under 20s last season who'll push on to senior squad and with a good 18s team from last season around they'll bounce back sooner rather than later as the talent is there.

The draw won't matter. Bohs showed the year they won the charity cup they got relegated. This is gonna be a very hard year for Shannon. I'd be surprised if they aren't fighting off relegation. 1B is stronger than many give credit, it'll be between Corinthian Buccs and Bohs for me. Shannon, Ballymena and Malone to go down.

Heard Bruff haven't been able source a coach......

The draw won't matter. Bohs showed the year they won the charity cup they got relegated. This is gonna be a very hard year for Shannon. I'd be surprised if they aren't fighting off relegation. 1B is stronger than many give credit, it'll be between Corinthian Buccs and Bohs for me. Shannon, Ballymena and Malone to go down.

Draw will matter. Getting Richmond over Young Munster etc. Draw does matter and even more so in senior cup.
    I don't think Shannon will be fighting off relegation. Have enough not to be down that level.
    Had heard Bruff have Brendan Deedy as Head coach and assistant coaches are Brian Cahill & Mike Carroll

Draw will matter. Getting Richmond over Young Munster etc. Draw does matter and even more so in senior cup.
    I don't think Shannon will be fighting off relegation. Have enough not to be down that level.
    Had heard Bruff have Brendan Deedy as Head coach and assistant coaches are Brian Cahill & Mike Carroll

Ah the charity cup is very much treated like a 2nds tournament by a lot of sides....YM, G'owen, Bohs never put out 1st teams until the final. Really don't see the point of it. Should be changed to a league to give more games.

Senior cup is different, Thats a main comp in munster!

Ah the charity cup is very much treated like a 2nds tournament by a lot of sides....YM, G'owen, Bohs never put out 1st teams until the final. Really don't see the point of it. Should be changed to a league to give more games.

Senior cup is different, Thats a main comp in munster!
    Charity Cup is not a totally full strength Competition but much more than a 2nds tournament.
    I do agree it(and Cork Charity Cup) should be changed to a league based competition as 1. it would give clubs more competitive games pre senior cup and AIL and 2. more money could be raised for Charity.

Charity Cup is not a totally full strength Competition but much more than a 2nds tournament.
    I do agree it(and Cork Charity Cup) should be changed to a league based competition as 1. it would give clubs more competitive games pre senior cup and AIL and 2. more money could be raised for Charity.

If its not a full strength comp than is it not a 2nds one? Majority of Limerick sides use it to introduce new lads but play fringe guys. Unlikely to see YM fielding Ger Sla, Neville Melbourne, Willie Staunton. Similarly with G'owen for McCloskey, Brosnan and others. Needs to be drastically looked at as the attendance is still very very low. Would say this is down to people knowing they aren't going to see full strength G'owen vs bohs or whoever.

Transfer news. Darren Sweetnum the latest player to do the dolphin to Con move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

Ballymena and Malone seem to be well catered for player allocation wise, a lot of Ireland U19's choosing those two clubs or Queens (dependent on bursary) going by reports. I am unsure how well many of them will make the step up to senior rugby, certainly this season. Ballymena got Richie McMaster from QUB and hope to have a fit Jamie Smith next season and a lad Timmy Small who is an attacking full back that missed most of the year with injury after returning from Australia. Harlequins as always will start ok and then tail off once their access to Ulster players goes due to injuries and internationals. Would expect them to be staving off relegation more than the other two Ulster teams.

If its not a full strength comp than is it not a 2nds one? Majority of Limerick sides use it to introduce new lads but play fringe guys. Unlikely to see YM fielding Ger Sla, Neville Melbourne, Willie Staunton. Similarly with G'owen for McCloskey, Brosnan and others. Needs to be drastically looked at as the attendance is still very very low. Would say this is down to people knowing they aren't going to see full strength G'owen vs bohs or whoever.

Transfer news. Darren Sweetnum the latest player to do the dolphin to Con move
    No. Would disagree with that. Charity Cup is not full strength teams but not so weakened that its 2nds cup. Its that bit more than that.
    Majority of Limerick sides(well 1A/B sides anyway) introduce new players and play some fringe players alongside some existing 1st team players.
    Attendance will vary who gets who and where. Nenagh/Thomond/Bruff have usually gotten good crowds on the times they've got home games but for example Nenagh nearly always seem to be away to a Garryowen etc
    Think competition does need to be looked at. Not due to attendance but clubs don't get enough competitive games pre the AIL. Id prefer Munster Senior Cup didn't start until near or after Christmas and the Charity Cups in Cork/Limerick were played on a league basis in lead up to AIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Anyone any idea when the fixtures are out. Need to book time off work now for matches.

Anyone any idea when the fixtures are out. Need to book time off work now for matches.
    It will be at least mid July though possibly August.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Fixtures out in July. Will be interesting to see if they bring back the play-offs, would only help the League keep competitive throughout the whole season, compared to when 2 teams only have a chance of winning with 3/4 games left. Fancy a back-lash from Lansdowne and wouldn't be shocked to see Terenure or Mary's have a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Fixtures out in July. Will be interesting to see if they bring back the play-offs, would only help the League keep competitive throughout the whole season, compared to when 2 teams only have a chance of winning with 3/4 games left. Fancy a back-lash from Lansdowne and wouldn't be shocked to see Terenure or Mary's have a push.

Play offs are back league starts 2 weeks earlier than usual on September 13th with 4 games in a row, games on December 20th and January 3rd to facillitate provincial A teams, league pay off final May 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 15 brucy9

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Play offs are back league starts 2 weeks earlier than usual on September 13th with 4 games in a row, games on December 20th and January 3rd to facillitate provincial A teams, league pay off final May 9th

Is that just 1a or all divisions?seems very early for the lower teams who have students away on j1s and won't be affected by provincial leagues.
    Is that the final fixture list as I know last year they sent one out in June to clubs but didn't get finialised til August 1st.
    I delighted play offs are back in division 1.gives league good exposure.

Dont see Terenure being that close however impressive they were last season in 1B and there will be a side challenging from outside the capital.
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Good to see playoffs back as it helps with promotion of the league as there is a final and tv coverage, media coverage can plan around that
    brucy9 wrote: »
    Is that just 1a or all divisions?seems very early for the lower teams who have students away on j1s and won't be affected by provincial leagues.
    Is that the final fixture list as I know last year they sent one out in June to clubs but didn't get finialised til August 1st.
    I delighted play offs are back in division 1.gives league good exposure.
    Fixtures are not set yet. Will assume playoffs for all divisions with promotion still decided by league position only and playoffs just to decide the league trophy winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

• Advertisement

Not sure I like the slightly earlier start to AIL. Set up for division 2 clubs with 3 games in a row and then 3 weeks off then 3 consecutive weeks of games is a good way to begin the league

From same website the Connacht senior league fixtures.
    23/8
    Buccaneers v Corinthians
    Galwegians v Sligo
    30/8
    Corinthians v Sligo
    Galwegians v Buccaneers
    6/9
    Sligo v Buccaneers
    Corinthians v Galwegians

Advertisement