Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Seagull restoration

13

Comments



  • That's great to have some history on it Fergal.
    Do you know when was the mermaid last in use?

    Just remembering, I sailed (crew/ballast) in the mermaid nationals in Clontarf about a million years ago and we could have done with an outboard!




  • Hifive wrote: »
    That's great to have some history on it Fergal.
    Do you know when was the mermaid last in use?

    I don't know yet I'm still digging :) but going by the engine I'd say around 20 years, The mermaid is also being restored but it will now have a full back deck with nowhere to hang the engine.


    .




  • So I had a look in the old man's garage this morning and look what I found:324794.jpg

    Both were apparently running when they were put into the garage at least five years ago.

    I haven't got any experience at doing anything like this, so all advice is appreciated.

    I'm thinking I'll spend a bit today trying to get them started and do a bit of a clean-up, then order parts online to give them a service and once running, have a go a restoring them as per this thread - if I get them looking half as good I'd be delighted.

    Actually, might just make my own thread seeing as I'll have lots of questions!




  • Off topic, I know, so apologies in advance but I have to say that hearing that Nicapando is being restored makes my day! I was fortunate enough to crew with Harry Grimes and his brother John in "Nica" during Mermaid Week, yonks ago in Dun Laoghaire. Two enormously talented men and a pleasure to spend time with.

    I restored a National 18 of the same vintage as Nicapando so PM if I can render any assistance.

    By the way, I'm pretty sure that the boat name's spelling is Nicahpando, an anagram for "No Handicap".....I think.




  • Simona1986 wrote: »
    So I had a look in the old man's garage this morning and look what I found:
    Both were apparently running when they were put into the garage at least five years ago.

    I haven't got any experience at doing anything like this, so all advice is appreciated.

    I'm thinking I'll spend a bit today trying to get them started and do a bit of a clean-up, then order parts online to give them a service and once running, have a go a restoring them as per this thread - if I get them looking half as good I'd be delighted.

    Actually, might just make my own thread seeing as I'll have lots of questions!


    They look the same as my two a 102 and a forty plus :) If you don't get a spark don't strip it down till you try charging it you can do this by taking the plug out and then using a socket connected to a drill and put it on the big nut on the flywheel and spin it for about a minute.


  • Advertisement


  • BrensBenz wrote: »
    Off topic, I know, so apologies in advance but I have to say that hearing that Nicapando is being restored makes my day! I was fortunate enough to crew with Harry Grimes and his brother John in "Nica" during Mermaid Week, yonks ago in Dun Laoghaire. Two enormously talented men and a pleasure to spend time with.

    I restored a National 18 of the same vintage as Nicapando so PM if I can render any assistance.

    By the way, I'm pretty sure that the boat name's spelling is Nicahpando, an anagram for "No Handicap".....I think.

    I know John Grimes well he lived across the road from me in Skerries and did a lot of boating with my dad, funny when I lived in Limerick many moons a go my neighbours were also mermaid sailors Irene and Trevor Brown.




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    I picked up this little forty plus for forty bucks yesterday God only knows why :) I just felt sorry for the poor thing.


    20141009_135824.jpg

    20141009_135841.jpg


    20141009_135850.jpg



    20141009_135902.jpg



    Here she is now I didn't go to town on the polishing just gave her a bit of a makeover :)

    1094058_10201908487712178_4401739640113938922_o_zpstqjrmnmf.jpg


    10321028_10201908487872182_8040923706266024523_o_zpsoslro4cb.jpg


    10365419_10201908487752179_8903649410254900031_o_zpscdto3vni.jpg




  • A few more seagulls I'm working on.


    20170523_163508_zpszavsjbnc.jpg


    The first one is a forty plus with a recoil starter.


    20170525_104309_zpsjeobarfy.jpg


    20170525_104318_zpscrmt2odo.jpg

    20170526_092123_zpsx4agcqo2.jpg

    20170526_095354_zpsovamcbeu.jpg


    The shaft was too rough to clean up.

    20170606_170824_zpspb0wuwim.jpg

    So I cheated a bit and gave it a coat of hammerite and used some pluming pipe covering.


    20170607_122129_zps8d0ivd6h.jpg

    20170620_121745_zpsinsmhehk.jpg

    20170622_155320_zpsmcy9xszn.jpg


    20170622_160100_zpsvykjxxs5.jpg


    20170622_160108_zpsmseddxar.jpg




  • Would you call that a flock of seagulls fergal? Lovely work as usual. Looking great.




  • sogood wrote: »
    Would you call that a flock of seagulls fergal? Lovely work as usual. Looking great.

    It will be now that I bought two more on Adverts yesterday :D




    .


  • Advertisement


  • fergal.b wrote:
    It will be now that I bought two more on Adverts yesterday


    Let me know if you're looking for any more. What do you do with them all?




  • Simona1986 wrote: »
    Let me know if you're looking for any more. What do you do with them all?

    These six are going to lakeside Marina for display in the bar :)



    .




  • The recoil starter takes all the fun out of a seagull, no risk of getting wrapped up in the flywheel, the ease of pulling it repeatedly before you drift onto the rocks and no chance of giving a crewmember a black eye from the flying starter rope!

    You were haunted to get tanks in such good condition, most of them have the end caps at least stoved right in and they're difficult to do anything with. Super standard of finish.

    Did you re-jet them to run the lighter oil mix?




  • Daibheid wrote: »
    The recoil starter takes all the fun out of a seagull, no risk of getting wrapped up in the flywheel, the ease of pulling it repeatedly before you drift onto the rocks and no chance of giving a crewmember a black eye from the flying starter rope!

    You were haunted to get tanks in such good condition, most of them have the end caps at least stoved right in and they're difficult to do anything with. Super standard of finish.

    Did you re-jet them to run the lighter oil mix?


    Yep on the older ones I change them to run at 25 to 1.




    .




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    These six are going to lakeside Marina for display in the bar .

    Best place for them! :P;)




  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Yep on the older ones I change them to run at 25 to 1.

    .

    I have one that had been changed and the previous owner filed off the mix numbers on the filler cap to help indicate there were new jets. Maybe it's a convention in the Seagul world?
    25:1 saves a lot of oil and definitely kinder to the environment. These were always run on STP or GTX too, none of your new fangled clean specialised 2-stroke marine oils!:)




  • Daibheid wrote: »

    You were haunted to get tanks in such good condition, most of them have the end caps at least stoved right in and they're difficult to do anything with. Super standard of finish.

    ?

    I tend to leave them with their battle scars :) but with a bit of work you can remove the end caps and flatten them out then solder them back on.





  • The next seagull to leave the nest is a 1971 Silver Century with clutch.

    seagull_zpsvvbdv4nq.jpg


    seag_zpsixlwluku.jpg



    d5d99bb7-7ddd-4f1d-a6a3-103e537fa5d8_zpsjnxe94ez.jpg




  • Best one yet Fergal!

    How did you get the alloy to come up so well? It's shinier than when it left the factory.




  • Daibheid wrote: »
    Best one yet Fergal!

    How did you get the alloy to come up so well? It's shinier than when it left the factory.


    Polishing wheel and a lot of time :)




    .


  • Advertisement


  • fergal.b wrote: »
    Polishing wheel and a lot of time :)

    .
    Knowing your dedication to patience and polish and 16,0000 grit paper, I was expecting you to say that but half hoping you might have a magic bullet, e.g.found a way to electro polish!:(

    To be fair to Seagull, it's probably a testament to the quality of the original castings too.




  • This week it's the baby leaving a 1970 forty featherweight.


    20170912_121537_zpsqo8ktu0f.jpg

    20170912_121625_zpssccrs2vr.jpg

    20170912_121610_zpshybqzbu5.jpg

    20171109_130540_zpslabynax8.jpg

    20171109_130704_zpsoi4m0c7g.jpg


    20171109_130729_zpsly30qi7o.jpg




  • Beautiful restoration Fergal, makes my one look like crap , love those engines , my one was over 40 years in a shed , fresh petrol and she started first pick , id reckon if she had 30 hours done it would be alot ! love the simplicity of them . Any luck on locating your boat mate ?




  • [QUOTE= Any luck on locating your boat mate ?[/QUOTE]

    Nothing yet but when I do the world and it's Mother will know about it :D
    All updates are in the sticky above.




    .




  • Another forty plus with a recoil starter.

    20171115_113854_zpswtpvrj7q.jpg



    This one is quite rough so I decided to paint it.


    20171115_113901_zpsiuxi0qee.jpg



    20171115_113916_zpsyw4hmfbt.jpg

    20171115_114024_zpsawe5ly6h.jpg


    The bling carb was rotten so I had to get a replacement not an easy thing to do as they are very few and far between.

    20171115_144440_zpsur3hrsc2.jpg


    Not looking great the tank was all rusted so I filled it with pebbles and gave it a good shaking.


    20171204_132842_zps5aximqtx.jpg



    Also had a little pinhole.

    20171219_122133_zpsssrmvrg0.jpg


    20180129_125839_zpsozbyhwiq.jpg



    A bit of blue hammerite.


    20180129_140908_zpshq0bt4lw.jpg

    20180502_164635_zpsirrxltq6.jpg



    20180502_165219_zpschp8us65.jpg


    20180502_165134_zpssajzabyk.jpg

    20180502_165124_zpsv011cyhu.jpg








  • Next up is the 1973 silver century stolen from Joseph P Dowling Athlone maybe he would like it back now :)


    20170523_164206_zpsavx0lbud.jpg



    20180510_120953_zpsywro5yn5.jpg


    20180510_121035_zpsrtsqobg0.jpg


    20180522_164644_zpsgeayo3r4.jpg

    20180522_164653_zps6kbv9biv.jpg

    My heart is not able for all that pull starting anymore :D






  • Another one better than the day it left the factory. Not often you see a seagul without the tank ends dented.




  • Daibheid wrote: »
    Another one better than the day it left the factory. Not often you see a seagul without the tank ends dented.

    Cheers :) what are my chances of doing the same to this thing it's a 1936 OMC elto service twin, plugs were left out for years everything is sized and some parts are missing :eek:


    20180527_174206_zpsvttj8kwf.jpg

    20180528_093531_zps1agw2oud.jpg

    20180528_093544_zps61tudpoa.jpg


    20180528_093553_zpssugugszs.jpg

    20180528_093619_zpsf3kctchq.jpg


    20180528_093704_zpsagqzuguh.jpg



    Even has a plant growing in it :)

    20180528_093712_zpsqc70kcrk.jpg


    20180528_094227_zps9shrczvi.jpg




  • Jasus! Did you dig it up? I have lots of faith in you Ferg, but you have your work cut out on this one. Maybe polish it up and make an ornament out of it?


  • Advertisement


  • Next up is a forty featherweight.

    20180523_143844_zpsicqhzmnu.jpg

    20180523_143850_zpsd24s5iut.jpg

    20180523_143855_zpskzn7vn2l.jpg

    20180523_143900_zpsfnsankkr.jpg


    20180523_143909_zpsubwcfjhv.jpg


    20180613_160105_zps7wxadubk.jpg

    20180613_160111_zps8lgxsyzm.jpg


    20180613_160124_zpsl5vpetue.jpg

    20180613_160133_zpsqqbcnraf.jpg


    20180613_160218_zpsrwif7uhr.jpg









Advertisement