Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagull restoration

Options
24

Comments

  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    Just about finished now except for the thrust block and a bit of adjusting here and there.

    10343502_10201174689727687_285349668494904122_n_zpssmypszd1.jpg


    10360189_10201174688487656_1311362775313090338_n_zpsx3sdaudg.jpg


    10487599_10201174691007719_4635805495257617206_n_zpsm5riitad.jpg


    10629697_10201421069887037_2200808731200347170_n_zpsxmecrowj.jpg

    And here is a little video of her first start up, a bit smokey at first but not too bad once she got going :D






  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz


    I can't be 100% sure but I think there is an old Seagull in my late dad's shed. Sorry but I don't know the model but I can check - perhaps, if you need parts or a spare, it could help you. If it is there, it hasn't run in yonks but my dad would have made it run before putting it away! Let me know if of any interest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator


    All you need now is a glass case to put it into. Absolutely stunning end product.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    BrensBenz wrote: »
    I can't be 100% sure but I think there is an old Seagull in my late dad's shed. Sorry but I don't know the model but I can check - perhaps, if you need parts or a spare, it could help you. If it is there, it hasn't run in yonks but my dad would have made it run before putting it away! Let me know if of any interest.

    If Fergal has no need for it Bren, I would swap it for beer vouchers if it suits you. This thread has given me a graw for a small project:D


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    BrensBenz wrote: »
    I can't be 100% sure but I think there is an old Seagull in my late dad's shed. Sorry but I don't know the model but I can check - perhaps, if you need parts or a spare, it could help you. If it is there, it hasn't run in yonks but my dad would have made it run before putting it away! Let me know if of any interest.

    I'm sorted BrensBenz thanks for the offer, maybe someday you will get it going again so the smell and sounds can conjure up found memories of your late dad cursing the engine for not starting :)




    .


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall


    Fantastic job Fergal, I can't believe it came up so well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz


    roadsmart wrote: »
    If Fergal has no need for it Bren, I would swap it for beer vouchers if it suits you. This thread has given me a graw for a small project:D

    Sorry for delay - since I retired, there seems to be less time available for boards!
    I'll go and check dad's shed, maybe tomorrow but definitely over the weekend. I know there's an old Johnson outboard there but I just have this vision of a Seagull there as well.

    Thanks for the offer of vouchers - I don't drink but I know someone who does.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Sorry for delay - since I retired, there seems to be less time available for boards!
    I'll go and check dad's shed, maybe tomorrow but definitely over the weekend. I know there's an old Johnson outboard there but I just have this vision of a Seagull there as well.

    Thanks for the offer of vouchers - I don't drink but I know someone who does.

    Beer vouchers = money. Not actual vouchers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit


    fantastic job Fergal!! You never disappoint


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech


    Lovely work Fergal. But every time I see one, even a pristine shiny one I still get flashbacks to evenings rowing like a madman to get back in from Lough Owel after another inevitable breakdown. :)

    It does look brand new.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz


    roadsmart wrote: »
    If Fergal has no need for it Bren, I would swap it for beer vouchers if it suits you. This thread has given me a graw for a small project:D

    Lads, really sorry about this! It seems the shed has already been raided and the only outboard left IS a Seagull but a terminally ill Seagull. There's no prop but photo 1098 and 1100 show why this one wasn't plundered.

    Again, apologies. I should have checked before posting.


    312776.JPG



    312777.JPG



    312779.JPG

    312780.JPG


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    Such a pity Bren. If you're dumping it I'd take it for spares though.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    I think it's the same as mine it's a bit hard to make out the last letter is it 669AC



    .


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz


    fergal.b wrote: »
    I think it's the same as mine it's a bit hard to make out the last letter is it 669AC.

    669A9
    roadsmart wrote: »
    Such a pity Bren. If you're dumping it I'd take it for spares though.

    Really??? It's in Skerries but, if that's not convenient for you, I could meet you elsewhere. Arrangements on PM?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    Skerries is no bother, how about Monday evening? I'll PM you, thanks.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    Skerries :eek: If I had known that I would have nicked it a few weeks ago when I was looking for parts ;)





    .


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    Do you still need it Fergal?


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    roadsmart wrote: »
    Do you still need it Fergal?

    No I'm sorted now cheers,:) Keep us posted on your rebuild.



    .


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    Really nice to meet you Bren, and thank you very much. I know I said that I'd take my time and amass the bits and pieces needed over a few months, but I couldn't help myself and managed to find a refurbished cylinder head and piston/rod on ebay already! And so it begins.....:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz


    roadsmart wrote: »
    Really nice to meet you Bren, and thank you very much. I know I said that I'd take my time and amass the bits and pieces needed over a few months, but I couldn't help myself and managed to find a refurbished cylinder head and piston/rod on ebay already! And so it begins.....:D

    Excellent! Glad to be of some help, even if the engine wasn't what I remembered!

    Oh, by the way, my brother's 200hp, V6 Yamaha "outdoor" motor came with a complimentary emergency pull cord. Unfortunately, Yamaha failed to supply a Sumo Wrestler strong enough to actually pull the pull cord so, since the cord should fit a Seagull, you're welcome to that as well. You have my number!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    roadsmart wrote: »
    Really nice to meet you Bren, and thank you very much. I know I said that I'd take my time and amass the bits and pieces needed over a few months, but I couldn't help myself and managed to find a refurbished cylinder head and piston/rod on ebay already! And so it begins.....:D

    I might have a few bits left over so don't go buying anything till you check to see if I have them first :)




    .


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart


    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Excellent! Glad to be of some help, even if the engine wasn't what I remembered!

    Oh, by the way, my brother's 200hp, V6 Yamaha "outdoor" motor came with a complimentary emergency pull cord. Unfortunately, Yamaha failed to supply a Sumo Wrestler strong enough to actually pull the pull cord so, since the cord should fit a Seagull, you're welcome to that as well. You have my number!
    fergal.b wrote: »
    I might have a few bits left over so don't go buying anything till you check to see if I have them first :)
    .

    Thanks lads, I'm away on holidays for a while from tomorrow but I'll certainly be taking you up on the offers when I get back.


  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster


    fergal ....
    you have out done yourself again . that seagull looks as if it just came out of the factory how do you do it ... great hands .. keep it up man .


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Caspy


    Truly amazing work.. Your a very gifted man..


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2


    I knew when I saw Fergals that I had to have one


    PICT0948_zpsbfdd2395.jpg[/URL]

    its a 40 series 1956

    PICT0949_zpsc4331612.jpg

    Needs a new motor head
    PICT0950_zps8cf37c11.jpg

    But the cylinder looks good
    PICT0951_zpsf312b18c.jpg

    Any suggestions on the best way to unsieze this piston it looks all the way in


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    Good stuff :) If you steep the piston in WD40 or diesel overnight it should loosen it up also take the gearbox off to make it easier to move. I might have a head that will do you.



    .


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2


    Thanks fergal, I'll try that, am taking it apart already ,there Seems to be lots of information on the internet on these and not a lot of complicated parts to em


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    I picked up this little forty plus for forty bucks yesterday God only knows why :) I just felt sorry for the poor thing.


    20141009_135824.jpg

    20141009_135841.jpg


    20141009_135850.jpg



    20141009_135902.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers


    fergal.b wrote: »
    I picked up this little forty plus for forty bucks yesterday God only knows why :) I just felt sorry for the poor thing.


    20141009_135824.jpg

    20141009_135841.jpg


    20141009_135850.jpg



    20141009_135902.jpg

    I think we have one of these in the garage somewhere? How many man-hours and how much roughly did it cost you to restore the last one do you mind me asking? Would love to give it a go!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b


    It's very hard to say with these old engine till you have it all stripped down, some nuts and bolts can take half a day to take out if they snap also depending on whats wrong be it electrics or a sized piston like mufflets2 above can add a lot of time, the good thing is that all the parts are easy to get and are still quite cheep to get posted from the UK compared to the old mercury parts that I get from the USA.:eek: I guess the amount of hours you put in will also depend on the finish you want. If you have one give it a go it won't break the bank and you will have a working bit of history at the end of it.

    I have just discovered that this engine was found strapped up in the bow section of a 1964 mermaid "Nicapando" that was found in a shed behind Bob's casino in Skerries it turns out the boat belong to Ollie Grimes Dad Harry it seems that back in the day there was no rescue service from the clubs so the mermaids were built with a cutout to take an outboard.




    .


Advertisement