Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wow, they'd have been three of the top five Scottish clubs a few years back, no? Were Hearts and Hibs sent down for messing with money or just being crap at footie?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hearts got points taken off them for finance problems which basically sealed their relegation. Hibs are just pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wow, they'd have been three of the top five Scottish clubs a few years back, no? Were Hearts and Hibs sent down for messing with money or just being crap at footie?
    Hearts had issues with money but primarily it was they were just crap. Both were v bad last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've only had a 3 day work week this week so it doesn't feel like a Friday to me. Really trying to get that Friday feeling going (read: do no work).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

postitnote wrote: »

Not as much of a headache as Tom Watson is going to have. He's going to struggle to have anyone fit or in the correct mental frame of mind to play.

He's having a nightmare, alright, but his selections will be easy: just go for whoever is left standing!

At this rate and given how consistently he played last night, he might dust off the clubs himself!

McGinley is going to have to leave out someone big at this rate. He'll be delighted to see Westwood and Poulter putting in big showings here.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    I've only had a 3 day work week this week so it doesn't feel like a Friday to me. Really trying to get that Friday feeling going (read: do no work).

That is the biggest first world problem I've ever heard, "It doesn't feel like a real Friday because I had most of the week off and I'm trying to do no work" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

That is the biggest first world problem I've ever heard, "It doesn't feel like a real Friday because I had most of the week off and I'm trying to do no work" :pac:

I'm glad you understood :D

Scottish football is in dire straits. The glee from many when Rangers were dropped into the basement was premature. Scottish football needed Rangers and Celtic to be competing against one another to maintain any semblance of competitiveness.

The lack of any competition has a knock on impact. Celtic waltzed to the title without breaking sweat (they were crowned champions in March!). They've no need to invest or push themselves to win domestically and now we can see how far off the pace they are in terms of European competition.

They've been reinstated due to Legia Warsaw fielding an unregistered player but the fact is they lost 6-1 on aggregate to a mediocre side (who missed two penalties also).

The television money is dwindling. The other noteworthy rivalry in the league is in a lower division also now. Few have any interest in the league. You know you're in trouble when Anthony Stokes is one of the star players in the league.

I'm not sure Rangers will get up this year which would be problematic for them.

Does anyone here do the fantasy football?

If so, I'll set up a league for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

awec wrote: »

thomand set one up the other week...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91312488&postcount=7164

Excellent, joined.

It's also getting to be time for the NFL fantasy football, if a league is happening this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    It's also getting to be time for the NFL fantasy football, if a league is happening this year.

Indeed it is Buer, indeed it is.

I'm happy to run it again if there is sufficient interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Definitely in for fantasy nfl

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Indeed it is Buer, indeed it is.

I'm happy to run it again if there is sufficient interest.

Well, just for clarity, I wasn't in it last year so I will assume the role of first sub. If one of those who was in last year's league doesn't want to take part, I'll gladly take their spot this season. I played a league with my mates last season for the first time and I'm hungry for more!

How does the NFL one work?

How does the NFL one work?

It's similar in concept with some major differences:

- Once you have a player, he's yours unless you release him. No other person in your league can have him. So if I have Tom Brady at quarterback, he's taken out of the equation.

- Players are selected via a draft. We all log on to the site at the same time, log in to the league and the first person picks their first choice player, then next person picks their first choice from remaining players and so on. The person who selects last gets first pick in round 2.

- It's a head to head league. You can score 150 points in a week but if the person you play scores 151, tough. Everyone else in the league might score 90 points but it's all about the head to head.

- You can trade players, make offers, pick up free agents etc. during the season. There is a sort of draft process though whereby those lower in the league get first dibs on available players. If I'm top of the league and I want a free agent, he only becomes mine if nobody with a higher priority tries to sign him.

- You don't sign a player for every position, just the ones that might actually get their hands on the ball. Your starting line up is a quarter back, two wide receivers, two running backs, a tight end and a kicker. You select the defence of an entire team (no individual defensive players).

- There's a playoff system. The top 4 go into the playoffs and then a final. It all takes place before the actual NFL playoffs so all NFL players are still playing each week.

Those are about the main differences. I found it far more entertaining and competitive than EPL fantasy football.

I'll also play NFL fantasy then if there's space :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The rain just there...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll also play NFL fantasy then if there's space :)

There is a couple who'll drop out from last year but there was only 8 of us anyway - a league can go up to 16.

Great. When does it start? :D

Great. When does it start? :D

Opening weekend is September 4th. Teams will need to be selected before that. We'll need an evening where people are available. The draft takes 1-2 hours depending on how quick people are selecting.

I like NFL but I wouldn't have a clue about the players.

I don't really like NFL or know anything about the players but the fantasy game sounds decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Neither did I last season (and I still don't for the most part). The league has all the players ranked and all their scores and stats from last season are readily available. Someone who has never played before would find it very easy to select a very competitive side. Even if you let the website pick your team on auto, you'd have a very good side.

Also, there's a massive element of luck in the whole thing. You could have the best wide receiver in the league but if the starting quarterback gets injured and the back up comes in, you can forget about your star wide receiver doing well.

The whole head to head aspect is a great leveller too. Any numpty can get lucky one week and beat the most informed participant.

So, to confirm, currently we have:

Buer
    Pudsy
    awec
    Podge

• Advertisement

g'wan so, throw me in! It will make following the season a lot more interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement